Thread: First Impressions on the Campaign Map

Default First Impressions on the Campaign Map

The map is certainly beautiful. My first take would be how alien I am to the map. In the previous games, with the exception of Shogun, I had some general knowledge of the terrain, but with Three Kingdoms I have no idea. Maybe its just me but it actually affects my game play.

The UI seems a little bit overcrowded or hard to spot. There is too much colors to spot them easily. I might just need some time to adjust though. Will see more in time.

Give us your first impressions with the map. The problems you spot. The points to praise. Maybe a few screenshots. Questions on what to do with certain aspects. What's good. What's bad. Discuss.
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: First Impressions on the Campaign Map

You can take a look at a topography, satellite, and climate map of China to get your bearings. Basically, Southern China is a tropical/subtropical climate filled with low mountains and dense jungles. Northern Central China is vast plains, with mountains just north of them. The area south and west of the central plains are filled with temperate forests. North of the mountains and plains of the Chinese central plains, Mongolian borders, and western China are filled with deserts and arid climates. Northeast China and Mongolia is filled with steppes. Southwestern China (Shu territory) is mountains, forests, and rivers, and far southwest China into Tibet is the mountainous Tibetan plateau.

I think they need more colors to differentiate between factions on the campaign map.

Satellite map:

More topographical map portraying mountains:

Forest cover map:

Last edited by Intranetusa; May 25, 2019 at 02:27 PM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I'm finding the white labels for towns to be pretty distracting. It forces me to use mouse wheel or rotate keys just to see what's going on around or behind labels.

There are other issues with UI. Forgetting to close the diplomacy interface and then clicking on the campaign map to no avail.

Off topic but I Need to learn how to close the army/unit UI while in battle, it's way too large.

The commendary/city names are very bungled, sometimes commendary took on the name of the major city in the region(IE. ChangAn)
    Whereas in most other cases the cities and resource points simply took on the name of the entire commendary.

They probably think that have the city/sub region names separated from the commendary(like all previous games) would be too confusing in English, and they would be right, Chinese does romanise horribly without the tones. But things like “Siege of Nan, Iron Mine” or “Siege of Hebei, lumber yard“ sounds dumb for anyone who knows about Chinese history. You can’t lay siege to an entire commendary or an iron mine.

On natural geography of China, I made a short summary of it on the official forums:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...ography#latest