Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ITALIAN cities (Venice & Pisa)

Default Re: ITALIAN cities (Venice & Pisa)

The strength of the north italian factions is being in italy, the richest and densest region on the map. Theyll get a nice boost with free upkeep for urban militia returning.

Obviously neither faction has received a lot of attention regarding their military, with their unique units being holdovers from SS. Pisa having a monopoly on the famously mercenary Genoese crossbowmen does strike me as a bit off, but I'm not sure how many historic alternatives exist that would not also make more sense as being available to any faction. What about instead giving them greater access to training mercenaries from cities?

As Pisa, I found it very easy to nab tuscany and bologna in the first two turns by sieging with all my units and defeating the sallying rebels with my three starting heavy cav units. Back when Venice would script-expand to Verona by turn 4 I was able to cheese it by allying with Venice, sieging verona first, and using their stack to take the city with minimal losses. This contained Venice and ensured they would attack me soon even if allied. This would kill their reputation, and with the pope favoring me I only need to beat their stack and change and venice itself was easy pickings. Since they now dont attack verona until turn 14, I'd go for genoa instead after bologna and pull the same trick with verona later. The HRE will probably get milan first, which is irritating but as Pisa you have plenty else to do while waiting for a good opportunity to take it from them.

War with the pope is inevitable regardless of your reputation, relations, or strength, since you will quickly become his only neighbor. This is a shame, I think, and I hope future updates address this.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmalk View Post
    The strength of the north italian factions is being in italy, the richest and densest region on the map. Theyll get a nice boost with free upkeep for urban militia returning.

Obviously neither faction has received a lot of attention regarding their military, with their unique units being holdovers from SS. Pisa having a monopoly on the famously mercenary Genoese crossbowmen does strike me as a bit off, but I'm not sure how many historic alternatives exist that would not also make more sense as being available to any faction. What about instead giving them greater access to training mercenaries from cities?

As Pisa, I found it very easy to nab tuscany and bologna in the first two turns by sieging with all my units and defeating the sallying rebels with my three starting heavy cav units. Back when Venice would script-expand to Verona by turn 4 I was able to cheese it by allying with Venice, sieging verona first, and using their stack to take the city with minimal losses. This contained Venice and ensured they would attack me soon even if allied. This would kill their reputation, and with the pope favoring me I only need to beat their stack and change and venice itself was easy pickings. Since they now dont attack verona until turn 14, I'd go for genoa instead after bologna and pull the same trick with verona later. The HRE will probably get milan first, which is irritating but as Pisa you have plenty else to do while waiting for a good opportunity to take it from them.

War with the pope is inevitable regardless of your reputation, relations, or strength, since you will quickly become his only neighbor. This is a shame, I think, and I hope future updates address this.
    Well i think the Genoese guys are supposed to be their unique thing. Venice for example has those Warhammer heavy infantry which is OP against armored targets. Sicily has the Norman Knights , Hre has Imperial Knights , Pope has the papal guard etc.

Tho i agree that after a certain event , a different unit of Genoese crossbowmen could be recruited as mercenariies , but they should be weaker compared to the Pisa exclusive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis2345 View Post
    Well i think the Genoese guys are supposed to be their unique thing. Venice for example has those Warhammer heavy infantry which is OP against armored targets. Sicily has the Norman Knights , Hre has Imperial Knights , Pope has the papal guard etc.

Tho i agree that after a certain event , a different unit of Genoese crossbowmen could be recruited as mercenariies , but they should be weaker compared to the Pisa exclusive ones.
    I realize the genoese xbows are Pisa's unique unit. My point is, on it's face that doesn't make much sense: the faction is Pisa, not Genoa, and the genoese crossbowmen were one of the most prolific and iconic mercenary units of the era; they shouldn't be a unique unit. It's clear they are, along with the famiglia ducale, are unique to Pisa only because Pisa replace Genoa from SS.

Gameplay-wise, there isn't a problem: Pisa and Venica share mostly the same roster, as they should, and their unique units differ nicely: Pisa gets elite crossbows and heavy cavalry, Venice gets AP infantry, armored archers, and AP light cavalry. If I were to make suggestions with my very limited historical knowledge, it would be this:

1. Genoese Crossbowmen should be recruitable from Genoa by any catholic faction, replacing pavise crossbowmen/pavise crossbow militia
    2. Genoese Crossbowmen should be recruitable as mercenaries in relatively high numbers in northern italy, and in lesser numbers in southern france and germany
    3. Genoese crossbowmen should be recruitable in some capacity for the crusader states, and possibly all catholics, in/around Jerusalem
    4. Remove Genoese Crossbow Militia and Famiglia Ducale

Reasoning: the Genoese Crossbowmen were recruited primarily from Liguria and some of the neighboring regions of Italy. Any catholic faction holding Genoa should be able to train them there. As mercenaries they would have been most available nearer Genoa itself, and were utilized often by non-italian lords as well. The M2 mercenary system being what it is, I think it would make the most sense for Genoese Crossbowmen to be in the mercenary pool for both northern italy and in lesser numbers in the surrounding regions. This would help ensure that they would be available for France and the HRE, whom we know hired them (their best known deployment being Crecy on the french side). They were also present in significant numbers during several battles of the crusades in the levant, probably most notably the siege of Jerusalem during the first crusade. To represent this I would make Genoese Crossbowmen either recruitable from Jerusalem or hireable in the region as mercenaries for catholic factions.

I would nix the genoese crossbow militia completely, because the genoese crossbowmen unit already represents the genoese emphasis on the crossbow. If it is desired to make the militia crossbow units from the city better, letting them be recruited with extra experience would be sufficient I think. The famiglia ducale should be removed both because they are an entirely fictional unit and don't seem to represent anything not already covered by the generals bodyguard already. This would free up two unit slots to give Pisa more appropriate uniques, or for some else that warrants them if none can be found for Pisa.

What woud make sense as a unique unit for Pisa is beyond me. Historically, they were the dominant merchant republic in the western Mediterranean from 1060, when they defeated genoa, to 1284, when they were defeated by genoa. Pisan military actions included battles with the others iltian merchant republics, and campaigns against muslims in Sicily, Sardinia, the baleres, tunisia, and the levant. They were more of a maritime power than a land power, and their successes won them considerable trade rights across both sides of the mediterranean, particularly in the levant and byzantium, as well as much regonition from the pope. Their staunch ghibelline leanings later put them at odds with the papacy but garnered great trade rights within the HRE.

I agree with @Fishmalk, in previous post of this italian thread i posted some "unit rosters" or ideas for improve italian factions. Regarding Genoese crossbowmen i agree that they should be mercenaries in north italian lands and some regions of France and Germany, also they should wear pavise shields and have good quality stats( they were very famous mercenaries), maybe could be recruitable in some northern Italian cities with hidden resource "pisa or genoa", for example in Pisa, Genoa,Milan,Verona, Bologna, Nizza... Building tier 2 or 3 of archery camp.

About a possible unique pisan unit could be a "marinae" unit, due that Pisa, as Venice, was a important maritime republic. It could be a "Pisan Marines" similar to marinae units but with better stats with little round shields and swords/axes/clubs/maces simulating boarding actions, unique unit for Pisa faction and in Ports and barracks.

Also Generic Marinae unit should be recruitable for all italian faction and also Jerusalen in Ports and in Italian trade quarters( hidden resource italian?) simulating the contribution of Italian sailors to the faction that has these Italian barracks with him and possibly adding a unit of crossbowmen to them (the Italians were famous for the use of the crossbow). This would be something similar to the Hansa system that Jurand has implemented but lighter only for this Italian building adding trade income and Italian units in addition to unrest or discontent.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Jurand and kostic here you have valuable information about italian units that i posted some time ago...
    *For marinae units Jurand said they had fancy weapons and yes, kostic could remake them as my description noticed... Round shields, little swords, axes, clubs, maces simulating boarding actions, they were "Marines".An little image about them
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91bf6a8c40a55c62b483ecc16ec1c344.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	368976

***Also more information about these italian marines in kostic thread

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16134692
    Last edited by j.a.luna; May 14, 2023 at 04:47 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Default Re: [F] - Venice

Guys,
    I would have a request to somebody commanding the language, knowing a bit history, and having the time: the descriptions for all levels of the Campo dei Miracoli buildings are the same. Could somebody have a look at the other unique buildings (like Vilnius Castle), notice the graduality and differences in texts, and then draft various texts (or the same text edited to the current level) for this building?

Text to be edited:
    {wonder_pisa_campo_name}Campo dei Miracoli
    {wonder_pisa_campo1_chapel}Cappella di Santa Maria Assunta
    {wonder_pisa_campo1_chapel_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Duomo (Cathedral(, the Battistero (Baptistry), the Tower (Campanile), and the Monumental Cemetery (Camposanto Monumentale).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building will enable the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown (study the building browser to find out which level). It will also enable recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo1_chapel_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo2_nave}Nava di Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
    {wonder_pisa_campo2_nave_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building will enable the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown (study the building browser to find out which level). It will also enable recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo2_nave_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo3_church}Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
    {wonder_pisa_campo3_church_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building will enable the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown (study the building browser to find out which level). It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo3_church_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo4_churchbaptist}Chiesa e Battistero
    {wonder_pisa_campo4_churchbaptist_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building will enable the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown (study the building browser to find out which level). It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo4_churchbaptist_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo5_churchbaptisttower}Chiesa, Battistero e Campanile
    {wonder_pisa_campo5_churchbaptisttower_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building enables the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown. It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo5_churchbaptisttower_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo6_cathedral}Duomo di Santa Maria Assunta
    {wonder_pisa_campo6_cathedral_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building enables the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown. It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo6_cathedral_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo7_cathedralbaptist}Duomo e Battistero
    {wonder_pisa_campo7_cathedralbaptist_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building enables the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown. It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo7_cathedralbaptist_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo8_cathedralbaptisttower}Duomo, Battistero e Campanile
    {wonder_pisa_campo8_cathedralbaptisttower_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building enables the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown. It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo8_cathedralbaptisttower_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!
    {wonder_pisa_campo9_domedcathedral}Campo dei Miracoli
    {wonder_pisa_campo9_domedcathedral_desc}The Campo dei Miracoli, formally known as Piazza del Duomo, is a walled 9-hectare area where four great religious edifices will be built: the Pisa Cathedral, the Pisa Baptistry, the Campanile, and the Camposanto Monumentale (Monumental Cemetery).\n\nGAMEPLAY NOTE: This building enables the ruler of Pisa to gain the Crown. It also enables recruitment of a Diplomat.
    {wonder_pisa_campo9_domedcathedral_desc_short}Piazza del Duomo is a sacared place of all Christianity!

Examples of other buildings:
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom1}Foundations of Stephansdom
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom1_desc}The construction of the original church commenced around 1137, on a site that is believed to have been an Ancient Roman cemetery. This first building was finished in 1160, but it was ravaged by a large fire in 1258, leaving very little remaining besides the stone foundations on which it stood. The church was reconstructed using two surviving towers and was once again consecrated in 1263. Since then, St Stephen’s Cathedral has continued to gradually grow and reshape over time.
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom1_desc_short}The burghers of Wien are overjoyed to see the foundations of their cathedral laid down.

{wonder_wien_stephansdom2}Nave of Stephansdom
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom2_desc}The original church was finished in 1160, on a site that is believed to have been an Ancient Roman cemetery. However, that first church was destroyed by a large fire in 1258, leaving little besides the stone foundations. The church was reconstructed using two surviving towers and was once again consecrated in 1263. \n\nThe exterior of the cathedral is made of limestone walls that have been adorned with intricately detailed statues. The design is an amalgamation of Romanesque and Gothic architectural styles. But the cathedral's most striking feature, which is immediately eye-catching, is the decorative, coloured tile roof, featuring a striking diamond pattern in white, yellow, green, and brown.
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom2_desc_short}The burghers of Wien watch the high walls of the cathedral rising from the ground, their eyes filled with pride!

{wonder_wien_stephansdom3}Stephansdom
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom3_desc}The original church was finished in 1160, on a site that is believed to have been an Ancient Roman cemetery. However, that first church was destroyed by a large fire in 1258, leaving little besides the stone foundations. The church was reconstructed using two surviving towers and was once again consecrated in 1263. Since then, St Stephen’s Cathedral has continued to gradually grow and reshape over time. In 1365, just six years after beginning the Gothic extension of the Albertine choir, Rudolf IV disregarded St. Stephen's status as a mere parish church and presumptuously established a chapter of canons befitting a large cathedral. This move was only the first step in fulfilling Vienna's long-held desire to obtain its own diocese. In 1469, Emperor Frederick III prevailed upon Pope Paul II to grant Vienna its own bishop, to be appointed by the emperor. Despite long-standing resistance by the Bishops of Passau, who did not wish to lose control of the area, the Diocese of Vienna was canonically established, with St. Stephen's Cathedral as its mother church. \n\nThe exterior of the cathedral is made of limestone walls that have been adorned with intricately detailed statues. The design is an amalgamation of Romanesque and Gothic architectural styles. But the cathedral’s most striking feature, which is immediately eye-catching, is the decorative, coloured tile roof, featuring a striking diamond pattern in white, yellow, green and brown. A prominent feature of St Stephen’s Cathedral is its towers, which seemingly scrape the sky with their mottled, ornate spires. The tallest, known as “Steffl”, is the south tower, that is a staggering 136 metres high.
    {wonder_wien_stephansdom3_desc_short}The burghers of Wien are rightfully proud to have such a magnificent cathedral.
    {ksar_building_name}Ksar

{ksar_1}Rocky Hill
    {ksar_1_desc}Rocky hill is place where an agadir can be built.
    {ksar_1_desc_short}Rocky hill is place where an agadir can be built.

{ksar_2}Agadir
    {ksar_2_desc}An agadir ("the fortified compound") is a fortified communal granary found in the Maghreb. Such structure is typically composed of a granary and a citadel, and are located in rocky, elevated locations to protect surrounding farms and livestock from enemies. In addition to harvested grains, Amazigh communities inhabiting the mountainous south of Morocco would use these structures to store all kinds of valuable belongings, including deeds and records, money, jewelry, clothing, carpets, and sometimes clothes and munitions.
    {ksar_2_desc_short}Agadir is a communal granary that provides storage for food.

{ksar_3}Ksar
    {ksar_3_desc}A ksar is a "fortified village", an Arabic term possibly loaned from Latin castrum. It provides and subsistance for the inhabitants of the nearby lands and supports trade. In times of a need, it can serve as a refugee centre.\n\nA ksar in the Maghreb typically consist of attached houses, often having collective ghorfa (granaries) and other structures like a mosque, bath, oven, and shops. Sometimes it is situated in a mountain location to make defense easier. The building material of the entire structure is normally adobe, or cut stone and adobe.
    {ksar_3_desc_short}A ksar is a fortified village that provides subsistence and security for the people in the region.

{ksar_4}Khettara
    {ksar_4_desc}The khettaras constitute a hydraulic system for mobilising water by gravity from the water table to the surface to irrigate fields in dry areas. \n\nThe khettara system is divided into three parts: (1) The capture: The groundwater is collected by a channel of several kilometres in length, which is slightly sloped, in the upstream part of the system. This system collects the water from the aquifer and brings it towards the open surface. This channel is equipped with several vertical wells that are used for the maintenance and ventilation of the khettara. (2) The channel: The slightly inclined underground channel brings water from the upstream wells to a point in the ground located downstream (the channel acts, in part, like an underground drain to collect water). The work consists of a channel of a variable section. The length of the channel can vary from a few hundred metres to several km. (3) The wells: The khettara include a series of vertical wells between the ground surface and the channel, spaced 5 to 40m apart, depending on the nature of the terrain. At the start of the khettara, the wells are used to remove the cuttings. Once in operation, these wells are used as access points for the removal of excavated debris accumulated during maintenance and for the ventilation of the channel. The depth of the wells varies from a few metres to ten metres.
    {ksar_4_desc_short}The khettaras mobilize water to irrigate fields in dry areas.

{ksar_5}Khettara System
    {ksar_5_desc}The khettaras constitute a hydraulic system for mobilising water by gravity from the water table to the surface to irrigate fields in dry areas. \n\nThe khettara system is divided into three parts: (1) The capture: The groundwater is collected by a channel of several kilometres in length, which is slightly sloped, in the upstream part of the system. This system collects the water from the aquifer and brings it towards the open surface. This channel is equipped with several vertical wells that are used for the maintenance and ventilation of the khettara. (2) The channel: The slightly inclined underground channel brings water from the upstream wells to a point in the ground located downstream (the channel acts, in part, like an underground drain to collect water). The work consists of a channel of a variable section. The length of the channel can vary from a few hundred metres to several km. (3) The wells: The khettara include a series of vertical wells between the ground surface and the channel, spaced 5 to 40m apart, depending on the nature of the terrain. At the start of the khettara, the wells are used to remove the cuttings. Once in operation, these wells are used as access points for the removal of excavated debris accumulated during maintenance and for the ventilation of the channel. The depth of the wells varies from a few metres to ten metres.
    {ksar_5_desc_short}The Khettara System mobilizes water by gravity from the water table to the surface to irrigate fields in dry areas.

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Almost 100 hours, almost all as Pisa. No single campaign was longer than 20-30 turns.
    I feel like i didn't get concept.

My strategies was:
    1. Turn 2 kill Venetia: git gud with massive reputation losses which lead to wars with many factions including HRE, and the worst part is excommunication. Wrong way.
    2. Quickly paint all avialable cities: after ~13 turn war vs Venetia and Sicily, later with HRE, in general the same as previous strategy.
    3. Paint only nearest cities. Turn 13 war with Venetia, it will be long war and as result reputation losses with Pope, and with another factions since captured towns. In general it downward spiral war->reputation losses->more wars->more reputation losses.
    4. Conq some cities, sit on back, in the end get war vs Sicily or Venetia but they have more cities, and since it's AI they cheat with money and armies.
    Also, i like Napoli since improved library. And i like Milan since title wich increase general's hitpoints. But Sicily want Napoli and HRE want Milan, and i need exterminate Sicily and Venetia in any case. Holy crusade on Hamburg also feel sweet.

What i usually doing:
    Turn1 conq one of towns (pref Bologna) by open gates with spy, siege another to block Venice.
    Turn2 conq sieged town, if lucky and spy can open gates again can try conq 3d. Trying to get alliance with Pope (depend if princess can initiate diplomacy).
    Turn3-4 take 3d city, move army to Napoli or Milan (depends on want i early war vs Sicily or not). Continue attemps to get alliance with Pope if don't have already, also got some trades.
    Turn5-6 take Napoli or Milan, preps for taking Milan or Genua. Increase relatations with Pope since later i will need crusade. Also stealing son of Napoli's king by princess and send him to Bologna for education.
    Turns7-11 regroup, recruting units, spies and assasin, taking Corsica, preparations for war with Venetia (and Sicilia if Napoli is taking). Training my spies and assasin with easy missions.
    Turn12 Time to declare Holy crusade on Tunis (AI very retarded and will run around of seas instead of just use ships). Factions join crusade (Venetia, Sicilia and HRE usually too), reducing they forces vs catholics.
    Turn13 Venetia attack, they break alliance with Pope. Normally Venetia will be undefended (only faction leader and some milita) and if spies can open gates i can paint Venetia in the same turn.
    Turns14-??? If i take Napoli, Sicilia will attack (if i take also Ancona, Sicilia can attack earlier, siometimes like 10 turn?). If i take Milan, HRE will attack. Also there's public order issues. Also there's penalty on treasure issues.
    Even if i manage my wars with battles/bribes/kills (wipe small faction is not so hard), i can't paint settlements without financial losses - in best case city will bring 3k, but reduce PO in all my cities. And 3k is like 6 units of milita, not even 1/3 of stack, and i need general + full stack only for defend this city.
    My best try after which i give up was getting crown, but i was have many active wars and can't afford myself any more settlements. So only way was defending for few dozens of turns for farm rep with prisoners, but defend like 15 cities with 3 armies vs many factions AND not to be excommunicated is unreasonably hard (yeah, i know i can just spam kills of Pope and cardinals of another countries, but it lot of work and i feel it's abuse).

So, what i did wrong?

1. If this is your first time with SSHIP it's good to play on medium level to get accustomed to the difficulty etc.
    2. If you are attacked, don't worry, even if you lose one, two cities. Playing Pisa you only need to avoid war with HRE, they are much stronger than you. Keep 10 thousand plus gold to pay them for peace in case they attack you. Venice will be your biggest enemy, you can focus on the rebels and venice in the beginning. If Sicily attacks you try to conquer Palermo, you will have a very good position and boost of income.
    3. Keep playing even losing, AI will soon start wars between themselves and you will be able to reconquer your lost cities.

Thats some of the advices that come to my mind, there are a lot of details about diplomacy and war, but it takes some time to learn, the game is difficult.

Maybe rushing the game is not a good idea? You seem to take many, many settlements within short span of time. "defend like 15 cities" - taking 15 cities should take 100-200 years....
    But I haven't played Pisa, so I don't know how to play it.

Well.
    Look like nuTW affected me more than i was thought in terms of game dynamic (you know, all those doomstacks at 30 turn, painting 1/3 of map at 80 and drop campaign at 100) so i need at first skip some turns to restore reputation, and at second one or more allies aside Pope for farm rep by assist them.
    Since HRE is main danger, i should ally them.
    Need to wipe Venice and Sicily by assasins, or conq them and gift unnecessary lands to HRE, make crown and skip dozen - or idk how many - turns.
    Btw, is using spies and sins lower reputation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sdf View Post
    Well.
    Look like nuTW affected me more than i was thought in terms of game dynamic (you know, all those doomstacks at 30 turn, painting 1/3 of map at 80 and drop campaign at 100) so i need at first skip some turns to restore reputation, and at second one or more allies aside Pope for farm rep by assist them.
    Need to wipe Venice and Sicily by assasins, or conq them and gift unnecessary lands to HRE, make crown and skip dozen - or idk how many - turns.
    no idea. maybe @Macaras knows? it'd deserve a pop-out window info..

Well.
    I just checked in DFS.txt - spies, very, very little and only if you are caught. Assassins - a little bit affect reputation, but much more relations, especially if it concerns the leader, heir. It drastically bring relations down. Assassins have a big effect on the TRAITS- they add dread to the FL which affects his children indirectly as well. He may get a trait 'master of assassins' and some others.

Good to know, so ruling house should be tyrannic instead of chivalric. Or at least FH branch.
    And agents should not roll critical misses.
    Ty guys.

Good to know, so ruling house should be tyrannic instead of chivalric. Or at least FH branch.
    And agents should not roll critical misses.
    Ty guys.
    This is your choice. This is a mod for a game - we're trying to create choices for the players so that they can create their stories behind their play. Your ruling may be tyrannic or chivalric - depending on what you choose based on what the constraints are, what (randomly, or semi-randomly) the game engine choses and perhaps other issues.

Well.
    Indeed, painting the map should be left for other TW games
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 20, 2023 at 01:25 AM.

I mean that's fast in historical terms, only 49 years, but you basically accomplished the goal of the English of the time
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Indeed, painting the map should be left for other TW games
    Unpopular opinion : Britannia saga total war maybe the worst total war game. But i wouldn't say it's awful, it's still decent. Gamrplay wise i say it's just a very infantry focused game and the cavalry and ranged unit are not that important which if seen from what i know from Britain history seems to be accurate enough, no Norman knight to upset the infantry balance warfare.

And every grand strategy game don't really have a good mechanic to stop player snowballing. The mod best achievement is usually to slow down the snowball but ultimately player are the strongest cheat faction could possess.

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    Unpopular opinion : Britannia saga total war maybe the worst total war game. But i wouldn't say it's awful, it's still decent. Gamrplay wise i say it's just a very infantry focused game and the cavalry and ranged unit are not that important which if seen from what i know from Britain history seems to be accurate enough, no Norman knight to upset the infantry balance warfare.
    And every grand strategy game don't really have a good mechanic to stop player snowballing. The mod best achievement is usually to slow down the snowball but ultimately player are the strongest cheat faction could possess.
    I also find it decent. There're some good mechanics, like civil war. And a few promising - like the fiefs. The problem were the players - there was such a strong negative reaction that after two ok patches, the third destroyed all the challenges in the game, leaving it to the players that pay no attention to anything and want to win everything instantly without any effort.
    The Shieldwall mod introduces some good changes to the game, but I'm not sure if it's enough.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123