Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: BYZANTIUM (Politeia ton Rhomaion)

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Awesome! Fixed it, although I noticed that I had to rename the the Scoutatoi units to Scoutatoi Spears and Scoutatoi Swords, the game appear to crash when they had the same name. Is this to be expected?
    I think that they should be called "Skoutatoi Spearmen and Skoutatoi Swordmen" and both with same abilities ( shield wall, good morale, good stamina), the shield wall is for reflect the "fulcum" formation in byzantine proffesional infantry army with difference for spearmen ( combat bonus against cavalry) and different attack stats and similar armour ( both unit models have the same armour and training)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Default Re: BYZANTIUM (Politeia ton Rhomaion)

I agree that they should both have the shield wall! Also, shouldnt the AP mace attack for Scholarii be higher than 4? I see other similar cavalry have ratings of 5 or 6 in that area now, making the Roman heavy cavalry much weaker in head to head cavalry engagements.

If the elite units replenishment time gonna be very slow, have low unit pools, and have restricted area (Constantinople only). I think it's ok for them to have a somewhat OP stats

Quote Originally Posted by umbracatervae777 View Post
    If the elite units replenishment time gonna be very slow, have low unit pools, and have restricted area (Constantinople only). I think it's ok for them to have a somewhat OP stats

I agree, considering how historically effective these rare Roman Tagmatic units could be, I am kinda surprised that they are weaker than Russian, Eygptian and HRE heavy cav in the late game. I am fine with their recruitment being limited to Constantinople as long as they are truly elite, otherwise the Romans don't have much going for their armies in the late game.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Step by step, the coding for changing the names after a settlement is conquered, are being added to the code:
    Code:
    	;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Durazzo

declare_counter current_name_Durazzo						; 0 - Durazzo (Dyrrachion), 1 - DurazzoItalian (Durazzo), 2 - DurazzoSlavic (Drach)
        set_counter current_name_Durazzo 1							; 1132 Durazzo starts in the Byzantine hands

monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Durazzo

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium = 1			; 0 for the Byzantines

change_settlement_name Durazzo Durazzo

if I_EventCounter is_the_player = 1 
    			and I_CompareCounter current_name_Durazzo > 0
    				historic_event SETTLEMENT_NAME_CHANGE
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Durazzo 0	
    		end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european = 1	; 1 for Italians

change_settlement_name Durazzo DurazzoItalian

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Durazzo < 1
    			end_if

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Durazzo > 1
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Durazzo 1
    		end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium = 0			; for Slavic Orthodox
    		and I_EventCounter faction_turn_orthodox = 1
    		and not I_EventCounter faction_turn_georgia = 1

change_settlement_name Durazzo DurazzoSlavic

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Durazzo < 2
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Durazzo 2		
    		end_if

end_monitor	

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Adrianople

declare_counter current_name_Adrianople							; 0 - Adrianople, 1 - AdrianopleTurkic (Edirne), 2 - AdrianopleSlavic (Odrin)
        set_counter current_name_Adrianople 1							; 1132 Adrianople starts in the Byzantine hands

monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Adrianople

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium = 1			; 0 for the Byzantines

change_settlement_name Adrianople Adrianople

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Adrianople > 0
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Adrianople 0	
    		end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_islam = 1				; 1 for Muslim

change_settlement_name Adrianople AdrianopleTurkic

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Adrianople < 1
    			end_if

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Adrianople > 1
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Adrianople 1
    		end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium = 0			; 2 for Slavic Orthodox
    		and I_EventCounter faction_turn_orthodox = 1
    		and not I_EventCounter faction_turn_georgia = 1

change_settlement_name Adrianople AdrianopleSlavic

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Adrianople < 2
    			end_if

set_counter current_name_Adrianople 2		
    		end_if

and I_EventCounter DifficultyLevel > 2
                add_settlement_turmoil Adrianople 2
    			console_command set_building_health Adrianople hinterland_roads 80
            end_if

end_monitor

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardDuck View Post
    Playing as the Byzantines, and I'm not sure if this is a bug or just an oversight of a unit that should've been removed. The Symachika_Tagmata infantry unit that spawns in a few of your settlements has yet to show up in recruitment anywhere, so I cannot retrain the units I was given at the start of the campaign. I'm currently on turn 67 year 1165 and I just recently gained the option to train the Gasmuli (Italic-Greco crossbows). I'm curious to know if the Symachika were supposed to be cut (Odd that the name in-game has the underscore) or if I just need to wait longer.
    So turns out, they do show up in your city recruitment menu around Turn 180, I should've made this post when it happened but it slipped my mind, so that is a rough estimate of when they appeared.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Hello, just wondering who is the Andronikos Imerios fellow in Adrianople? I can't find any mention of him in any of my research. Is he an historical character? A place holder? He has traits that suggest he's connected to the the Byzantine royal family but again I can't find any mention of him!

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Hello, just wondering who is the Andronikos Imerios fellow in Adrianople? I can't find any mention of him in any of my research. Is he an historical character? A place holder? He has traits that suggest he's connected to the the Byzantine royal family but again I can't find any mention of him!
    Me, I've got no idea about this issue. Never dealt with the initial placement of the historical figures.

------------
    for those who noticed it: the Scoutatoi recruitment has been fixed, no pools available in the cities for the player.

;--- AI support (Byzantium city barracks) ---------------------------------------------------- (UNfWE) ; so that it fields better quality armies (goal: to provide the player with better experience: stronger AI armies)
    ; added 1 time every 4 turns (leap_year_counter 3) so that the can be recruited in one moment thus creating stronger armies
    ; delayed (zero initial, leap year 3) because Byzantium is strong at the beginning

;......... base value
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.001 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.001 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1

;......... if Byzantium has fewer than 20 settlements
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.125 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.125 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

;......... mobilization of citizens if the AI is in trouble
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.375 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.375 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

Ok Jurand, so Scoutotai (swordmen and spearmen) can be recruited only in castles no?, But is it possible also recruit them as exception in Constantinople?? For their special Imperial Tagma barracks which existed in the vicinity of the city and was the bulk of the battalions in Constantinople, therefore a large number of military units should be recruited in this city... An example is how I commented long ago about creating a last barrack level for Constantinople that provides a lot of public order, and also experience to units called "Imperial Tagmata Barracks" where many units can be recruited except palace units.

Imperial Tagmata Barracks (Constantinople)--- Contaratoi ( 4 chevrons experience), Toxotai ( 4 experience), Menalautoi ( 3 experience) , Gasmoulai (3 experience), Katapractoi, Scoutatoi swordmen and scoutotai spearmen ( 3 experience) , and also mercenary units as vardariatoi, anglosaxon huskarls, latinikon and other...

-In the imperial Palace--- Vestiaritoi and Varangian Guard (Palace units) Only in Constantinople!

- Alchimist Lab --- Siphonatores and also Naffatun!!! (Byzantines used grenades of greek fire in battles)

- latifundist buildings---Byzantine nobility like the Pronoia

This is an idea that you can modify or expand more but it is to reflect the importance that Constantinople had, not only economically and religiously, but also on a military level where its main battalions and professional armies were stationed in this city along with its troops of elite and palatial. Therefore, it should have a great recruitment capacity for all the aforementioned units, so practically if you lose Constantinople to the Byzantines, you will have lost a jewel for your empire in every way....
    I don't know if it's possible to do this for just one city in the game, but it really and historically has.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

there's already special recruitment in Constantinople
    ;==============================================================================================================================
    ;- BYZANTIUM city barracks army_barracks --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;----- melee ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

recruit_pool "Contaratoi" 2 0.18 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter BYZANTIUM2_ANNA_COMNENA 1
    recruit_pool "Contaratoi" 2 0.21 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM2_ANNA_COMNENA 1 and not event_counter BYZANTIUM3_NORMAN_WARS 1
    recruit_pool "Contaratoi" 2 0.18 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM3_NORMAN_WARS 1 and not event_counter BYZANTIUM6_BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED 1

recruit_pool "Castrophilakae" 2 0.16 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM3_NORMAN_WARS 1 and not event_counter BYZANTIUM6_BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED 1
    recruit_pool "Castrophilakae" 3 0.31 4 1 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM6_BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED 1

;----- missiles ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

recruit_pool "Toxotae" 2 0.15 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter BYZANTIUM2_ANNA_COMNENA 1
    recruit_pool "Toxotae" 2 0.18 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM2_ANNA_COMNENA 1 and not event_counter BYZANTIUM3_NORMAN_WARS 1
    recruit_pool "Toxotae" 2 0.21 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM3_NORMAN_WARS 1 and not event_counter BYZANTIUM6_BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED 1
    recruit_pool "Toxotae" 2 0.15 3 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter BYZANTIUM6_BYZANTINE_RENAISSANCE_STARTED 1

recruit_pool "Urban Crossbow Militia" 1 0.14 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not hidden_resource byzantium and event_counter lateran_council2 1 and not event_counter lateran_council3 1
    recruit_pool "Urban Crossbow Militia" 1 0.16 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not hidden_resource byzantium and event_counter lateran_council3 1 and not event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1
    recruit_pool "Urban Crossbow Militia" 1 0.18 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not hidden_resource byzantium and event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1 and not event_counter PAVISE_SHIELDS 1

;----- special units: only in Constantinople
    recruit_pool "English Huscarls" 0 0.18 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and hidden_resource capital and hidden_resource byzantium and not event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Alamanoi" 0 0.15 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and hidden_resource capital and hidden_resource byzantium and event_counter HEAVY_MAIL_ARMOR 1
    recruit_pool "Spartharii tou Vasileos" 0 0.13 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and hidden_resource capital and hidden_resource byzantium

;--- AI support (Byzantium city barracks) ---------------------------------------------------- (UNfWE)
    ; so that it fields better quality armies (goal: to provide the player with better experience: stronger AI armies)
    ; added 1 time every 4 turns (leap_year_counter 3) so that the can be recruited in one moment thus creating stronger armies
    ; delayed (zero initial, leap year 3) because Byzantium is strong at the beginning

;......... base value
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.001 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.001 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1

;......... if Byzantium has fewer than 20 settlements
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.124 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.124 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_huge 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

;......... mobilization of citizens if the AI is in trouble
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi Swordsmen" 0 0.375 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3
    recruit_pool "Scoutatoi" 0 0.375 0 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter faction_size_small 1 and event_counter leap_year_counter 3

;----- to be reviewed during work on late era -------------------------

recruit_pool "Late Musketeers" 1 0.077 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter the_flintlock 1

Ok Jurand, but in this special recruitment for Constantinople i dont see the PROFESSIONAL units ( Tagmata units) , as scoutotai , katapracktoi, some militias as Psiloi acontistae and Palace Guard as Varangian Guard, also i continue thinking that Naffatun should be recruited by byzantines in Alchemist lab together siphonatores...

So do you think that could make a last chain for barracks in Constantinople? Similiar to the last chain for Aqueduct of Valens, called Imperial Tagmata barrack flr example and together the unique university for Constantinople would be another unique building for the Queen of the cities!
    Also i think that italian troops should be reflected somehow in this city ( gasmouli, and also urban spear militia/ urban crossbow militia)
    I'm sorry to be heavy perhaps with this topic but as historically it was Constantinople it was very important in the Middle Ages both militarily and economically and should be reflected even more in the game for greater immersion, although as I always say thank you for your effort in improving this magnificent mod.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Me, I've got no idea about this issue. Never dealt with the initial placement of the historical figures.
    Fair enough! Well I replaced him personally with Alexios Axouch, son of John Axouch in my own game and married him off to Maria Komnene when she comes of age... perhaps this could be added in a future update to the Byzantine family tree?

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    Ok Jurand, but in this special recruitment for Constantinople i dont see the PROFESSIONAL units ( Tagmata units) , as scoutotai , katapracktoi, some militias as Psiloi acontistae and Palace Guard as Varangian Guard, also i continue thinking that Naffatun should be recruited by byzantines in Alchemist lab together siphonatores...

So do you think that could make a last chain for barracks in Constantinople? Similiar to the last chain for Aqueduct of Valens, called Imperial Tagmata barrack flr example and together the unique university for Constantinople would be another unique building for the Queen of the cities!
    Also i think that italian troops should be reflected somehow in this city ( gasmouli, and also urban spear militia/ urban crossbow militia)
    I'm sorry to be heavy perhaps with this topic but as historically it was Constantinople it was very important in the Middle Ages both militarily and economically and should be reflected even more in the game for greater immersion, although as I always say thank you for your effort in improving this magnificent mod.
    I like this idea

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Basileia ton Rhomaion faction guide?

I have started to play the SSHIP new version (0.98) - the mod seems much more polished compared to the previous version (0.97) in my impression - I have started with the Byzantine Empire but I'm lost, how to make a good start - war with the Sultanate of Rum? What factions to made early alliances and trade rigths? Improve relation with the Crusades and the Pope? And others... -, these are some questions. The SSHIP team have developed a guide for any faction or the community developed some kind of related thread? Thanks!
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Quote Originally Posted by l5c4sl3m0s View Post
    Basileia ton Rhomaion faction guide?

I have started to play the SSHIP new version (0.98) - the mod seems much more polished compared to the previous version (0.97) in my impression - I have started with the Byzantine Empire but I'm lost, how to make a good start - war with the Sultanate of Rum? What factions to made early alliances and trade rigths? Improve relation with the Crusades and the Pope? And others... -, these are some questions. The SSHIP team have developed a guide for any faction or the community developed some kind of related thread? Thanks!
    No, I don't think anybody has. In the first entry you may see the list of the reported games - yoba99 could say something.

oh man, just as I decided to check the thread

There is two viable strategies at the start that I figured out over replaying first 20-40 turns over and over for 6-8 times (I really like both this mod and byz roaster). Number one - completely crush Rum sultanate in first ~5 turns. That is easily attainable, leave garrison at Dyrrachium, collect your troops from everywhere else + train more pronoiars on the way, use fleets that you get at the start, figure it out how to do it fast. You can also buy mercenaries in rum regions, but it is possible to play without them and without bug abusing. If you do it fast - Rum gets no time to conquer Caesarea and the anatolian region is yours to conquer. However, this tactic gives advantage to Georgian and Crusaders kingdoms, as they will have more free land to conquer and you soon will have share border with them. Second strategy that I came to prefer more is to let Rum sultanate get Caesarea. You do mainly same thing as in first strategy, but stop for 2-3 turns after getting Ancyra. Use your spy in anatolia to find out when they get Caesarea, and then take Iconium. After that I'm pretty sure you can push for peace, maybe they will ask 1-2k gold for it, but its really worth it. Keep medium sized legions in both Ancyra and Iconium, disband or relocate mercenaries and pronoiars (leave 2 units of pronoia + whatever else in each town to be safe, oh and probably you will have to "let them have it" after getting the both towns to manage public order better).

Meanwhile you doing that you should also get your boats to Chersoneses and take everyone but a single unit of spearmen from there to conquer Sinope. Cumans gonna send stack after stack after stack for that settlement, it is near impossible to defend it from them at this point in the game. If you dont really mind - make sure that Nikiphoros Vryennios (yes, that one I assume, although I haven't read anything about him being a governor of Chersoneses) stays in Chersoneses for a turn, and then you can give title "strategos of Chersoneses" to your governor in Sinope, you can start right after taking it, appoint another general as governor of Sinope and the transfer said ancillary from Nikiphoros to him, as he is very old and gonna die in ~10 firs turns or even sooner, and bonuses of said title are enormous, helps growing any settlement. After that you can take Trapezous, but yo will have to do it fast as Georgia tries to take it at the start of the game as well. Obviously, you will have to leave a garrison there.

Next move is to build up your economy. If you left Rum alive with only Caesarea in possession, they will go for surrounding rebel towns, and then for Crusaders kingdom. Let it be - its nice to have a weak buffer state between you and crusaders at the start. If you destroyed Rum completely - well, make sure to take Caesarea and Sivas, but I never managed to make a Alliance with Crusaders (or a lasting peace), so keep some troops ready for next war.

I will assume that you choose to keep Rum alive as a weak buffer. Next you want to focus on building up your cities. Mix quick building with long projects like roads and farms so you would have most of the settlements busy. If you have some leftover cash - convert Chandakas and Attaleia to cities, little to no point in castles there. Do not go in for Targoviste - cumans will attack and you need additional income to protect it (and you dont have it right now). Instead build up barracks and bowers in Tarnovgrad and Adrianopolis, also build Alchemist's lab in Adrianopolis = flamethrowers, man. Cumans will always come for Tarnovgrad and sometimes also attack Nassios. Always keep a full stack at Tarnovgrad and a half stack at Adrianopolis. As soon as you fight off another cuman horde - merge, replenish from Adrianopolis, retrain wounded in Adrianopolis. Make a good bower building in Adrianopolis and Italian traders building in surrounding cities - soon after you will get access to Gasmuli = crossbowmen with stakes. As cuman hordes consist mainly of horseback archers, you know what that means - stakes right after the gates, easy win. I never managed to pay off cumans or make a lasting peace treaty with them. In first ~150 turns they never attack other NPC and other NPC never attack them, so you are on your own. Their settlements are small and produce little to no gold, so its really pointless to go and conquer them. If you do - remember to destroy nomad encampments after settlement reaches goal for grows, as it prevents you from building carpenters (required for upgrading walls).

After getting a steady flow of cash you can start preparing a legion for invasion of Italy. Start with Skadar if normans own it, if serbia owns it - leave it for them and take Bari instead. This is also a good time to ally yourself with Pisa and Hungary. Also some time before that Venice gonna start blockading random ports, not much you can do about. Southern Italy is a real cashcow that is easy to protect with a half-stack in Bari + garrisons in Napoli and Regium. Don't go for Rome, not worth the trouble. After that continue building up economy and start preparing for war with Rum.

Couple of little advices:
    1) Check buildings in every settlement you take, there is stuff like slave bazar or nomad encampments that have negative impact and its better to get rid of them.
    2) Make sure to train your symbasileus, you REALLY don't want to have a faction leader with authority <4.
    3) Oh, and if your symbasileus is a illegitimate heir or usurper - get rid of him. Make sure your symbasileus married with children, you don't want a civil war.
    4) Send your new young generals to Constantinople and keep them there until they are 18-20, so they can get the best education.
    5) Build up those watchtowers! At least on the borders. I prefer them everywhere so I can see my whole realm (and every rebel army that spawns).
    6) Don't marry your princess to a fathimid general turned to Catholicism if you dont want to ruin your campaign.

dont look at me Im sane I just really liked roman campaign
    Last edited by yoba99; November 30, 2022 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks for such detail reponse @yoba99!

Quote Originally Posted by yoba99 View Post
    Number one - completely crush Rum sultanate in first ~5 turns. Second strategy that I came to prefer more is to let Rum sultanate get Caesarea.
    I presumply like most the second option - destroy Rum in the beginning is likely the easy mode (I like a challenge in the future). It possible to make Rum vassal? My first goal in my campaign is to retaiking the "original" byzantine territories for crowned my Basileios so I will take Sinope and Trapezous in the first 8 turns (1136 AD) - so the Empire will be like the image of the Komnenian Restouration in Chivalry II. By my experience the Crusades States will not accept a alliance - until you pay for that (maybe?). In the West trade with Sicilia (declared rival) and the Venetians is the primary goal in the beginning of the campaign - a alliance with the Pope will provice good relations with the catholic kingdoms such like the Holy Roman Empire, Hungary or France, a military alliance with the HRE will be essential to treat the Italians Republics (Piza and Veneza). So my list of objectives in the first 20 turns is:

1. Retake the "original" Byzantine land (Sinope and Trapezous) and Sis (Cilician Armenia); have another regions too in north antiochia...
    2. Manage alliance and trade rights with the powers age's, like the Crusades, the Pope and the HRE.
    3. Done the Komnenian Restouration size, focus to treat the Italians Republics with the HRE help or support - such like the Hungarians in the easterned front for deal with the Cumans.
    4. War of 'Reconquista' against the Islamics (Rum, Fatimids and Zenguis) - make sure to have a good reputation and behare to get "abysmal" relations with he's; with the abysmal relation is not possible to seal a peace thread.

Komnenian Restouration - how the Empire looks like:

or
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

BBcode breaks my heart and soul, sorry, but quotes are gonna be made with just ">". Please don't delete if its against forum rules, let me try and fix it.

>It possible to make Rum vassal?
    No, current AI never takes it, best case is a ceasefire.

>In the West trade with Sicilia
    Yes, I don't think current AI Sicily will attack first, so its possible to peacefully coexist. However, as I said, south Italy is a great province, easy to conquer, easy to protect, good money.

>and the Venetians
    Not possible, they have a hardcoded (is think so?) grudge against you, so prepare a fleet to guard your ports + a half-stack at Dyrrachium cause they will most likely attack it. Take what you can from them in north Italy and give it to Pisa for outstanding relationships. Maybe keep Ancona.

>a alliance with the Pope will provice good relations with the catholic kingdoms
    Since money are 10x times less powerful, you really can't bribe your way into great relationships with pope. Maybe gifting Ancona to him will help, but not much. Thankfully, Papal State is non-agressive, so you don't have to worry about them invading.

>good relations with the catholic kingdoms such like the Holy Roman Empire, Hungary or France
    In my experience, as you grow, both HRE and Hungary will offer you an alliance themselves. France is not really important, as it is regularly gets crushed by both HRE and England.

>military alliance with the HRE will be essential to treat the Italians Republics (Piza and Veneza)
    Keep Piza as a buffer state between you and HRE, or your relationships with the germans will sour, and HRE really snowballs into a major power in the game, you don't want them to be aggressive to you.

As for your plan...

>1. Retake the "original" Byzantine land (Sinope and Trapezous) and Sis (Cilician Armenia); have another regions too in north antiochia...
    Both Sinope and Trapezous are fine, maybe give "strategos of Chersoneses" to governor of Trapezous after you finish wooden walls in Sinope, to speed up Trapezous growth and build there stone walls = easier to protect against Georgia. They won't attack in first ~50-70 turns if you will keep half a stack in Trapezous.
    If you are going for Sis and "other" in the start - I think its better to destroy Rum in your first 5 (you have to make it that fast, or they will take Caesarea) turns. I strongly suggest you to refrain from it, instead focus on taking both Iconium and (after Rum takes Caesarea) Ancyra. That will give you THE MONEY + easy to protect + less border with enemy.

>2. Manage alliance and trade rights with the powers age's, like the Crusades, the Pope and the HRE.
    Crusaders reaaaaaaaly don't like you. Unless they are attacked HARD by surrounding saracens, I doubt you will be able to maintain a lasting alliance with them.

>3. Done the Komnenian Restouration size, focus to treat the Italians Republics with the HRE help or support - such like the Hungarians in the easterned front for deal with the Cumans.
    Take whatever Sicily owns in Dalmatia (Skadar, Ragusa, Vrhbosna), but never attack Serbia as they are your good friend and buffer state with Hungary. Don't push for Zara - hard to protect, hard to maintain public order, not much money to be made. Alliance with Hungarians doesn't mean they will help with cumans - in both of mine long campaigns they just wait on the border for ~150-200 turns and then take Isai. Don't take Targoviste before you have a stone castle in Tarnovgrad, because if you will, you will have two castles with no good walls, no solders to train, no money to be made and +150 turns to upgrade. You will lose Targoviste, cumans will exterminate populace.

>4. War of 'Reconquista' against the Islamics (Rum, Fatimids and Zenguis) - make sure to have a good reputation and behare to get "abysmal" relations with he's; with the abysmal relation is not possible to seal a peace thread.

Zenguis will probably just wither away, and I never got past Crusaders to really fight Fatimids (aside from them trying to take Cyprus or Sis, failing and taking a peace treaty). Maybe its better to have an alliance with Fatimids in first ~200 turns, I think I had it in my second campaign.

Oh, and really, abandon Chersonesos at the start, and when you do retake it - turn it into a castle, it's easier that way. You will waste more money on protecting it than make on keeping it as a city.

Playing a longer game is important and a good choice - your midgame units are ABSOLUTE beasts. Especially in the cities - Gasmuli (stakes!!! bridge wipe enemy stacks), Symmachika tagmata (almost like Scoutatoi swordsmen, but cheaper AND YOU CAN TRAIN THEM IN A CITY!!!), Italian mercenaries (expensive, but great against cav charges), Pronoiarii (different from Pronoiarioi, cheaper and armored and great, just spam them!). Focus on what cities you have and build up trade and mines (and health project! plague destroys your economy) there first, all your good units are expensive to upkeep, and crown takes 10k every turn as well.
    Oh, and move your trader to silver mine in Ras. Also start making traders as soon as you can and make more merchant guilds.

OFC, all that applies to VH/VH campaign, if you are playing on hard or normal, you probably can do whatever you want as Rome is really strong at the start.
    Last edited by yoba99; December 01, 2022 at 07:25 AM.

*I play in Hard for the campaign and Medium for the battles.

1°: In Medieval II and Rome - both vanilla - I never geted vassalization of any faction - only if a use 'force diplomacy' script -, not sure if in the SSHIP is the same - the vanilla diplomacy - because one of aspechts redone from Stainless Steel vanilla to SSHIP is the diplomacy, maybe @Jurand of Cracow could say something...

2-3°: In my campaign I get trade rights with Sicilia and Veneza - nothing more only a map infoms. About the war against the Venetians and the Sicilians I think is a historical one because in the reign of Basilios Manuel Komnenos for to weak his monopoly over the byzantine markets.

4°: Papal-Byzantine alliance - re-union with the between the Orthodox (Greeks) and the Catholic Church: I thinking that is not possible to "reunification" Christendom or the Orthodox convert into Catholicism (limitations of the M2TW engine), I invoke @Jurand of Cracow to answer. So, a alliance between Rome (the Pope) and the Byzancium maybe is possible by the historical ciscurstance over the reign of Ioannes and Manuel.

5°: Alliance between the Holy Roman Empire, Hungary and the Byzantines it's right. The HRE will accept a marrige agriment between Manuel's (he have only 14-years-old at the campaign start) and one of yours princess, to recreate he's marrige with Bertha of Sulzbach?

So the plan remainds the same, only with a few addition like a certanly alliance with the Pope, HRE and the Hungarians. I will consider what you said about Nekeforos Bryennios and make him a governor of Sinope or Trapzeos - is interresting. Following a historical/role-play campaign with how many turns I manage to reach this goals, @Yoba99?

Oh, well, I don't really know then. Playing on H/M means that you probably will be able to push for an alliance with Georgia, and cuman stacks will be less powerfull probably.

I understand your desire for a historical role-play well, but med2 engine, the way map works and modpack limitations/additions create a scenario, where its really hard to make historical scenario work out to the letter.
    I have no idea if its still hard/near impossible to hold over a non-core province on hard campaign difficulty. I would recommend to push for a longstanding peace with Venice, since you really not interested in their provinces (it will stretch the border too thin in my opinion). As for HRE, I also remembered, that they tend to start waging war on Hungary after ~100 turns, so you will have to pick a side there.
    The mod really shines on VH/VH difficulties, so if it is possible, I would recommend to try and play on those.

Is it just me or have you guys noticed that when playing as the Romans, literally everyone wants a piece of you?