Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ABBASIDS

Default Abna unit not recruitable in Ai-Wasit but recruitable in Halab

This one just flat out weird. As the title said why Abna unit are only recruitable in Halab instead of the Abbasid starting castle. You can't recruit them in Rayy as well.

Edit : the reform is delayed. You can get Abna everywhere around turn 90-95
    Last edited by eyelurker; September 13, 2023 at 01:10 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Restoration of Baghdad

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    So i'm not sure of the validity of this but i heard Baghdad after Samarra anarchy and Zand rebellion goes through a period of decline that Abbasid could never restore because well they no longer have the large financial required to maitain Baghdad prosperity, mainly their dikes.

This will cut away Abbasid power very big since they are heavily relied on Baghdad(and to a lesser extent Basra) for their income. On another hand it make make Abbasid cannot make a comeback and how other power except for Seljuk and only after Abbasid revolt are not really interested in holding Baghdad itself make more sense. Is also give a goal to not neccesarily expand but try to restore Baghad as the biggest and most glorious capital.
    Come on, the Zanj rebellion was in 9th century, then the've recovered at the end of that century. then there're a few even deeper declines later - with the Bujjids, with Tughril Beg, etc.
    but you're right, this should the be idea. Historically, it was achieved sometime later in the 12th century, before Kharasmshah wreckaged them

This one just flat out weird. As the title said why Abna unit are only recruitable in Halab instead of the Abbasid starting castle. You can't recruit them in Rayy as well.
    Muslim castles are not fully reviewed yet. thanks for the hint!
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 12, 2023 at 02:51 AM.

Default Re: ABBASIDS

Probably one of the best campaigns in Medieval 2 Total War and its mods. For any lurkers wondering why to play this faction in SSHIP: as the Abbasids youÂ’ll spend the first 175 turns surviving against overwhelming odds to restore the caliphate as the preeminent power in Mesopotamia and the Levant against a diverse set of enemies including the Seljuk empire, the Zengids, the Fatimids, Georgia, the Sultante of Rum, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and Byzantium (and thatÂ’s just by turn 175 and not including the myriad of Crusader armies youÂ’ll encounter). Then the real fun begins. As you finally get your feet underneath you, the Mongols arrive. This is one of the few campaigns in any total war campaign that maintains its intensity through 300+ turns. There is no reprieve. You will not find yourself bored after 100 turns when you control Iraq and Syria thinking the snowballing is about to begin, because to your west is a resurgent Byzantium stronger than you with the nomadic threat from the east still to come. What a wonderful campaign. Cheers to everyone who contributed to this projectÂ’s development and this campaign in particular. A complete joy.
    Last edited by romulus_aeneas; September 19, 2023 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romulus_aeneas View Post
    Probably one of the best campaigns in Medieval 2 Total War and its mods. For any lurkers wondering why to play this faction in SSHIP: as the Abbasids youÂ’ll spend the first 175 turns surviving against overwhelming odds to restore the caliphate as the preeminent power in Mesopotamia and the Levant against a diverse set of enemies including the Seljuk empire, the Zengids, the Fatimids, Georgia, the Sultante of Rum, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and Byzantium (and thatÂ’s just by turn 175 and not including the myriad of Crusader armies youÂ’ll encounter). Then the real fun begins. As you finally get your feet underneath you, the Mongols arrive. This is one of the few campaigns in any total war campaign that maintains its intensity through 300+ turns. There is no reprieve. You will not find yourself bored after 100 turns when you control Iraq and Syria thinking the snowballing is about to begin, because to your west is a resurgent Byzantium stronger than you with the nomadic threat from the east still to come. What a wonderful campaign. Cheers to everyone who contributed to this projectÂ’s development and this campaign in particular. A complete joy.
    In historical context they woule be facing an impossible odds. Playing them however Abbasid are one of the easier faction. Their starting economy for a 3 settlement faction are insane and it can quickly snowball because you already can recruit 2 merchant with close proximity to high income goods but you're also close to 2 faction capital which grant you another merchant if you conquer them and finally middle eastern are filled with highly developed city with special attention to Iranian mountain which are filled with lucrative mines. All result you can be very reckless in your spending than many other faction.

As for the enemy i say Fatimids are the consistent problem, they are bordering Baghdad from the desert land of Tayma and will continiously sent spy, assassin and armies at Baghdad. Seljuk and Zengids have a smiliar roster with you and are honestly a nothongburger as an enemies. Jerusalem are highly packed with heavy troops but ironicly arrow are their weakness as their armor are not that thick to protect arrow shot, European crusader may also came but they are more of a weaker Jerusalem. Finally Cuman although your most encounter will probably in Transaxiona, they have a better nomadic tradition than the Turks roster which make them menacing with their arrows but their army are very archer focus, copy the Jerusalm tactic of engaging them in melee before they loose their arrows. There is also Rum and Georgia but i ally with them and so far they kept true to their words so i haven't fight them.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by romulus_aeneas View Post
    good to hear that! (and uploas a save!)

In historical context they woule be facing an impossible odds. Playing them however Abbasid are one of the easier faction. Their starting economy for a 3 settlement faction are insane and it can quickly snowball because you already can recruit 2 merchant with close proximity to high income goods but you're also close to 2 faction capital which grant you another merchant if you conquer them and finally middle eastern are filled with highly developed city with special attention to Iranian mountain which are filled with lucrative mines. All result you can be very reckless in your spending than many other faction.

As for the enemy i say Fatimids are the consistent problem, they are bordering Baghdad from the desert land of Tayma and will continiously sent spy, assassin and armies at Baghdad. Seljuk and Zengids have a smiliar roster with you and are honestly a nothongburger as an enemies. Jerusalem are highly packed with heavy troops but ironicly arrow are their weakness as their armor are not that thick to protect arrow shot, European crusader may also came but they are more of a weaker Jerusalem. Finally Cuman although your most encounter will probably in Transaxiona, they have a better nomadic tradition than the Turks roster which make them menacing with their arrows but their army are very archer focus, copy the Jerusalm tactic of engaging them in melee before they loose their arrows. There is also Rum and Georgia but i ally with them and so far they kept true to their words so i haven't fight them.
    sounds more-or-less historically reasonable, doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    sounds more-or-less historically reasonable, doesn't it.
    Aside from crossing Zagros mountain which both Seljuk and Abbasid have trouble crossing? Yeah. An active Abbasid ruler have the potential to rise again. But i guess it's easier IRL for new dynasty to make power than an old empire resurface back to power if my experience looking at Roman history is anything to goes by.

Also i don't know when but at some point i get dismounted late ghulam and heavy spearman. I can't wait to used them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123