Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
I don't think that Daruwind means it in the sense of employees aiming to diversify their tasks to escape from monotony. Even if they felt such a need, it's not up to them to decide the setting of the games, they only design what their seniors have demanded from them, depending on what theme they estimate is capable of generating more sales. The multiple teams is more of an urban legend, initially created by Will, when many old fans feared (justifiably, as hindsight confirmed) that Warhammer would lead to a dilution of historical titles. Technically, it could be correct (albeit not always, it's safe to assume that there was absolutely no development of historical games in 2016 and early 2017), but these teams are not equal or otherwise Creative Assembly would bankrupt itself. There's always the core group, dedicated to designing the next tent-pole title and several satellite ones, more preoccupied with DLCs, patching and minor expansions, like the Saga franchise.

Anyway, history can come back, but, as I mentioned previously, I won't hold my breath. Warhammer much more profitable in the long-term than Three Kingdoms (the bugs the digital packs introduced didn't help either), while it has also established a very high standard of faction variety and spectacular battles, full of grotesque monsters and shiny beams. When Troy was announced, most of the criticism centered around not on the fantasy influences (supernaturally powerful heroes, single-man units dressed like the Minotaur), but actually on the lack of it: No actual Cyclops, Chimera, Hydra and etc. Honestly, there's a bunch of potential universes CA can easily exploit, from collaboration with fellow franchises, like Tolkien and Elder Scrolls to a world inspired from Greek, Egyptian, Chinese and Norse mythology. Medieval III could compete with Warhammer, in terms of pre-orders, but nowadays the gaming industry focuses more on DLCs, which enjoy a much more favourable net gain, thanks to the extremely detrimental to the consumer content/price ratio. EA's income already relies more on DLCs than the main product and I don't see why SEGA will not try to imitate this example. In this department, fantasy simply excels and does not suffer from the controversy of cut-out content. Removing the Tomb Kings can be justified with much less difficulty than locking the Fatimids or the Lagids behind a paywall.
Very well said