Thread: Solution for armies and units spam

saneel's Avatar Senator

Default Solution for armies and units spam

All tier 3 and higher units should have factionwide caps, example: as Empire you can have only 3 units od Demigriph Knights and only 1 steam tank, so you should use it wisely and strategicaly. Only exception should be armies of Dwarwes and Elves (all elves) - they can have as many elite units as their economy allows them, but their army cap is limited to 5, because of their manpower issues.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Solution for armies and units spam

Here is my solution, in SWO-RD

- Each faction can recruit generic core units in any region, but they are a bit weaker, and have a global cpa.
    - Each faction can recruit heraldic core units only in specific region. They are a bit stronger and have their own graphics, but they are capped (regional).
    - Generic Special and rare units can be recruited in any region, but are capped and are weaker. Special buildings can allow increasing the capacity (ex: Building a dragon keep allows recruiting more dragons)
    - Unique special and rare unit, can be recruited only in specific region, and are the stronger ones. They are also capped (ex: Swordmasters of Hoeth only from the Tower of Hoeth).
    - Units are classified as core, special or rare units, with a weight. Each army can have a maximum of 10 special and 5 rare weight of units. A full army (lord + 19 units) must integrate some core units: it is not possible to have 19 dragons in a single army anymore!
    This is however modified by the rank of the lord: low rank have less special/rage than 10/5, and higher rank can have more.

In SWO-RD, virtually every units from the factions I have processed are capped.

This cap is based on the settlements and buildigns your control.
    To increase the cap, you need to capture new settlements, or upgrade buildings.

Every settlement, anywhere in the world, can contribute to the capacity of your generic units. For Heraldic or Unique units, only the settlements and the buildings in the same province contributes to the cap (example: Loremasters of Hoeth capacity is increased only by the Tower of Hoeth, Eataine spearmen capacity is increased by settlements or Barracks in Eataine province).

Here are a few examples for the HE.

a x Building(b) means a times the number of levels for this building above b.
    For example 2 x Settlement(3), for a settlement level 1 is 0, and for a settlement level 4 means 4.

- Spearmen : 4 + 3 x Settlements(1) + 4 x Barracks(1)
    - Archers : 4 + 3 x Settlements(2) + 4 x Hunter (2)
    - Generic sea guards: 4 + 2 x Settlements(2) + 4 x Port(1)
    - Generic Axemen : 4 + 1 x Settlements(3) + 2 x Hunters(3)
    - Generic Halberdiers : 2 + 1 x Settlements(4) + 2 x Worship(2)
    - Generic Swordmasters: 3 + 1 x Settlements(4) + 2 x Magic(2)
    - Silver Helms : 3 + 1 x Settlements(2) + 3 x Stables(2)
    - Generic Dragon Princes: 2 + 1 x Settlements(5) + 2 x Stables(4)

- Lothern Seaguards : 4 + 2 x Settlements(1) + 6 x Lothern Port
    - Phoenix Guards: 2 + 4 x Shrine Assuryan + 2 x Phoenix King Palace

- Sisters of Avelorn : 1 + 1 x Settlements(2) + 1 x Maiden(1) + 3 x Everqueen Court

- Dragon Princes of Caledor : 6 x Dragon Hall(3)
    - White lions of Chrace : 6 x Hunting Ground(2)

- Loremasters of Hoeth = 0 + 5 x Tower of Hoeth(1)

- Tiranoc Chariots : 2 + 1 x Settlements(2) + 3 x Tiranoc Palace(1)

saneel's Avatar Senator

I would also add AOR, so you cant recruit for example High Elves elite units outside Ulthuan and for recruitment of your units you would need certain level on untainted which would work something like culture in other TW games. In provinces with extreme corruption level you cant recruit anything, because people are not migrating in those areas - ddd, because its still cursed

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Read again my post, there is a full AOR. Outside of Ulthuan you can recruit a "generic" version of units, which are weaker AND more expensive. In Ulthuan, you can recruit the Heraldic version (with shields). And special units like Swordmasters of Hoeth, White Lion or Phoenix Guards can even be recruited in only one region.

Noit only some untis ar elimited to a province, the settlements and buildings you have there impact your cap. For exemple, Eataine spearmen are recruitable only in Eataine, and Caledor spearmen only in Caledor.

The cap is currently computed with Spearmen : 4 + 3 x Settlements(1) + 4 x Barracks(1). This is subject to change, balance is always a bit tricky.

It means that if you have Eataine with one level 5 settlements + 1 level 4 barracks, and 3 level 3 settlements, you can have 4+ 3x5 + 3x3 + 4x4 = 44 Eataine spearmen. You could even get 12 more if you build an additional barracks in each minor region.
    Now, if capture a minor Caledor region, settlement level 1 with no barracks, then you are limited to 7 Caledor spearmen.

Just for comparison
    - Phoenix Guards: 2 + 4 x Shrine Assuryan + 2 x Phoenix King Palace. At max (Shrine Assuryan level 3 and Phoenix King level 5) you can get 2 + 12 + 10 = 22 as a whole.

As I said, these values are maybe still a bit too high, and I'll probably revise them a bit with the coming DLC. I also need to see where to fit the Silverine Guard, Rangers, and other Mistwalkers

It means some "axemen", degraded White Lions, recruitable outside of Ulthuan. This is debatable. Not completly lore friendly, but limiting it completly means HE could recruit almost nothing outside of Ulthuan. And so many buildings would be useless. Meaning that the next logical steps would be to change the occupation options and allow the HE to colonize only Ulthuan, and have a kind of colonies with limited options outside, a bit like the WE and Athel Loren.

So as a compromise between lore and gameplay, I have this generic version available. Consider Axemen as future White Lions in training, travelling around to perfect their skill if you need a lore justification.

About corruption: I don't think the engine supports an on/off option. It is however possible to give more effect on corruption, that's something I plan to do a bit later down the road, probably end of year.
    My plan are
    - finish the Vampire Counts rework
    - update the HE with new units, adjust a few things
    - add the Greenskins, and with them an occupation overhaul
    - add the Tomb Kings, with a corrupton overhaul.

For the corruption, we could have an HE specific "corruption" to replaced "untainted". And the recruitment cost or time could be tied to it. Like recruitment cost -10% if the HE religion is 100%, +50% cost if 75%, +100% at 50%, up to +200% at 100%.
    Last edited by Steph; May 13, 2020 at 11:08 PM.