Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Managing buildings in Settlements with 24+ buildings

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Managing buildings in Settlements with 24+ buildings

Yes. That seems good to me. The public oven is a completely realistic element for the Middle Ages as a starting point. Every building has its purpose. It's good that the player's choices can influence the characteristics of each community.

Unfortunately, the player does not have much choice when the construction times are too different between 2 buildings: the player generally chooses the one that is built the fastest so as not to stay several turns (sometimes 20!) with a city that does not evolve. It would be better if we could build several buildings at the same time...

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Unfortunately, the player does not have much choice when the construction times are too different between 2 buildings: the player generally chooses the one that is built the fastest so as not to stay several turns (sometimes 20!) with a city that does not evolve. It would be better if we could build several buildings at the same time...
    Here we differ in opinion: I do appreciate that the Med2 engine allows only for building 1 building at time. It provides the player with a choice, requires prioritisation. In the newer engine it's different: you can build any building chain simultaneously. This results in a misbehaviour of the player: he stays low with his army, builds up all the buildings possible, and only then builds up an army and expands. In the Med2 engine it's much better: you can build one thing at a time, you need to do something else in between (or your money is stolen - well, this is in our mod, not in vanilla.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Maybe you're right. The frustration of having to wait for the end of construction of his building without being able to start another is compensated by the strategic aspect.

That said, for road construction or the development of arable land, there could be an exception. First, they are not buildings per se. Then, when we have to wait 20 turns (10 years!) to build a road or clear the land, I find it logical that we can - without calling into question these major works - build one, or two specific buildings to the City.
    I don't know if the M2TW engine could make these exceptions but I would support it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it should be possible to add some scripts that would check when something like road2 is finished, and then fire a pop-up window that would give the player some option to build something right then. Right? Like, the script checks for buildingfinished road2, then if satisfied, triggers a pop-up with a yes/no choice in it, and if yes is picked, this could fire another scripted thing that deducts some amount of money and force adds a building to the settlement in question. That would be a way to make it so that some larger building projects could have a hidden "bonus" added into their end. Not sure how we could best work in the idea, but I think something along these lines should be possible.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I agree in the building limit of 24 in a settlement( also with their unique buildings and culture buildings), but now if you remove mercenary barracks in the game , i understand that also you remove the byzantine mercenary barracks( hetaireia) and the rest of AOR mercenaries as armenians, persians, african and others are in regular buildings as a normal barrack in Sis for example.
    Maybe for byzantines you can make a final building in the chain line of barracks buildings only for byzantines and in Constantinople settlement called " Tagmata headquarters/barracks" where you can train the tagmata units ( katapractoi, vestiariotoi and varangian guard)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    I agree in the building limit of 24 in a settlement( also with their unique buildings and culture buildings), but now if you remove mercenary barracks in the game , i understand that also you remove the byzantine mercenary barracks( hetaireia) and the rest of AOR mercenaries as armenians, persians, african and others are in regular buildings as a normal barrack in Sis for example.
    Maybe for byzantines you can make a final building in the chain line of barracks buildings only for byzantines and in Constantinople settlement called " Tagmata headquarters/barracks" where you can train the tagmata units ( katapractoi, vestiariotoi and varangian guard)
    Constantinople is actually the biggest problem. It has more than 24 buildings from the start. This is the perfect case when it does not mater if there's a mercenary barracks building or not: it' built from the start, you cannot see it on the map, the units are recruitable anyway. There's no differerence, if it's a separate building (as it was before) or the recruitment is distributed to the barracks (as it will be now).

However, your suggestion to make is a top level building for barracks is indeed worthy consideration. I'll thing about it.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 02, 2022 at 07:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12