Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical Toponymy Project by Cephalophore (Authentic Settlement Names)

Default Historical Toponymy Project by Cephalophore (Authentic Settlement Names)

Historical Toponymy Project
    Complete, Incomplete, Unfinishable
    Old and Middle English
    Middle High German/Middle Low German
    Old Venetian
    Old Tuscan
    Old and Middle French
    Old Castilian
    Old Aragonese/Catalan
    Galician-Portuguese/Portuguese
    Medieval Arabic
    Middle Polish/Old West Slavic
    Byzantine Greek
    Medieval Latin
    Sicilian
    Lithuanian*
    Native
    (Rebels)
    Middle Irish/Scottish Gaelic/Celtic/Skots*
    Old Turkic/Ottoman Turkish

Old Norse
    Medieval Persian
    Old Slavonic

Old and Middle Hungarian
    Middle Georgian

Chagatai Turkic
    /Mongolian*
    Kipchak Turkic

Current Release: Version 4

Brief Description
    (Version 4)

If you cannot be bothered to read everything I have written - I understand it may be extensive - this is all you need to know before using this mini-mod:

1. Every Faction has historical names for settlements. (Lithuanian, Mongolian, Sicilian, Cumanic, and Hungarian suffer from the least historicity.)
    2. Settlements can have up to 31 different names depending on the faction controlling it.
    3. The names change dynamically when under the control of new factions.
    4. Regions (incomplete) have medieval native names.
    5. Faction names are not included.
    6. This mini-mod is not simply modern names, these are largely medieval.

File to Download
    6/15/23 UPDATED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    To use this mini-mod one will have to devote a small fraction of their time to editing some text files. The reason you have to do this is because the mod regularly releases new versions, which makes updating this difficult. I am not gifted in coding so I have never bothered to re-implement the lines required to play the Jerusalem captured videos.

BACK UP the "campaign_script.txt" in SSHIP098/data/world/maps/campaign/imperialcampaign
    and "expanded.txt" and "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" in SSHIP098/data/text.

If you decide to use this, my lazy and simple method would be to go into campaign_script.txt in (SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign) and search for "AFTER CAPTURE NAME CHANGE" and delete all of the entries for the settlements that have coding for name changes in the current build. This will leave a blank area between settlement entries like this:
    Code:
    Code:
                 log --- Jerusalem AFTER CAPTURE NAME CHANGE -----------------------------------------------------------

log --- Jerusalem AFTER CAPTURE ARMY SPAWN
    The new campaign script files are very, very easy to read. So just be sure you are not deleting anything other than the existing name changing script.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o2col...my+Mod.7z/file

This file contains the script you need to paste right above the bottom section:
    Code:
    Code:
         PASTE HERE
    ;======================================================================================================
    ;---- END OF SCRIPT - DON'T DELETE WHAT'S BELOW

wait_monitors
    end_script
    Be sure to edit your expanded.txt and use the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

CHANGES ARE NOT SAVE GAME COMPATIBLE

A couple (2 or 3?) settlements have changed names in the newer versions of SSHIP which I have not updated.

I apologize for the convoluted instructions, I just want to make sure you guys can keep using this mini mod. Furthermore, you're always welcome to edit it or make changes as you see fit. I know my Byzantine Greek and Slavic toponyms aren't perfect, especially.

Project Showcase

Campaign Map Images

Information on Factions
    Vernaculars, Mechanics, Completion (X/199)

Kyngdome of Engelonde
    England
    Linguistic Profile
    The Kingdom of England at the time of 1132 was ruled by the Normans, a French speaking elite, albeit a French with significant Norse and English influence. However, the population would've continued to speak dialects of Old English which went into decline after the Norman Invasion. It is most probable that by the year 1200 anything recognizable as Old English ceased to exist - supplanted by the emergence of Middle English. Despite Middle English being the colloquial language, French, Anglo-Norman, and Latin held the positions as literary and administrative languages. There is a decently sized corpus of what would be considered Middle English and all of it's dialects, but it is overshadowed by the literary traditions of Latin and French. Comparatively, Old English fares far worse, because very little survives. By the 15th century Middle English, now developing into Early Modern English, sees a surge in extant materials. So, unfortunately, there is a bit of literary dark age in England concerning the English language in it's purer forms. I opted not to use Anglo-Norman sources in this project because I do not hold the belief it is representative of the English nation as a whole. Anyhow, I do believe that the 'e' on the end of Old and Middle English words is a leftover from an extinct case ending. Ultimately, you can just view most of these e's as silent.

Mechanics
    An English play-through will begin with Old English place-names. After certain conditions are met the names will transform into Early Middle English.

Brycgstowe -> Brystowe
    Eoforwic -> Yorke
    Lundenbyrg -> Londone

199/199

Noregsríki and Danaveldi
    Norway and Denmark
    Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Iceland in 1132 all spoke virtually the same language and to this day Icelandic has conserved Old Norse better than any other language. The Norse left a lot of inscriptions, poetry, and sagas behind. I.E. The famous Byzantine carving in Hagia Sophia. They got around, they went to the Americas, Greenland, Spain, Italy (Slavs and occasionally Norse would be raiding cities with Arab pirates), Greece, Armenia, Persia, the Levant... up rivers throughout Europe, etc. However, I did not find any records of cities deeper inland, so if you decide to conquer Poland and Hungary you aren't getting much name changing.

114/199

Ze Heilig Roemischem Reich
    The Holy Roman Empire
    Linguistic Profile
    The German language as it was come to be is divided into many dialects, but for convenience are lumped into High and Low German groups. There is really no way to represent these dialects, especially minor ones in game. Generally, the variation in place names isn't enough to warrant being too meticulous about the selection. I have utilized many travelers accounts in my work on German. There is not much I can gather from the German geographers of the period. The majority of these travel accounts are written between the 1300s and the 1500s which makes the source material a bit late.

Accounting for the Consonant Shift can be a tedious endeavor, so I have only reconstructed the Middle High German orthography. There are no ß or Ȥ characters as they are modern - Z's are generally an S sound. Some instances of V in sources written in outlying dialects are converted to W (except for Venedig). There isn't really much I can say about German that will benefit the player, but remember that 'W' is a 'V' sound - 'V' also at times represents an 'F' sound at times. "Vrankenfort":

"Great Novgorod" in later New High German is "Großneugarten", but orthographically in Middle High German would've been identical or close to "Grôzniugarte"

Dutch Valladolit converted to Walladolit

https://forvo.com/word/frankfurt/ (see German pronunciations)

I think that the German names are quite recognizable to the standard modern equivalents, so nothing should be entirely alien to the player.

199/199

Kingdom of Scotland
    Scotland
    Linguistic Profile
    The Gaelic speaking Scots of the medieval period shared a common language with much of Ireland. Because of this, Irish sources have been utilized to gather a satisfactory amount of Gaelic place-names. However, Middle Gaelic was evolving into Scottish Gaelic and much of Scotland was speaking or familiar with Northern English by the 1300s. 1 Manx, 2 Breton, and 1 Welsh names were used, but this leaves me with a total of 58 , the majority of which are too far away from Scotland to show up in all likelihood. I am not going to bother scripting them in, but they will be in the excel for you who is curious. In the future I will add the name change script, but right now I hold off on it. Considering you'd have to play to 1350 for the effect to trigger, I will wait until SSHIP has a Late Era campaign or people want it anyways.

58/199 (Gaelic)
    199/199 (English/Skots)

Reaume de France and Reaume de Jherusalem
    France and Jerusalem
    Linguistic Profile
    The Kingdom of France was and is, to a lesser degree, home to multiple dialects and traditionally they are divided roughly between two groupings from the North and South, oïl and òc. Thankfully, the French left us a ton of literature. There are a few interesting crossovers like Anglo-Norman and Franco-Venetian that I included in my research for sake of convenience.

Transcription
    There are certain occurences of V and U that I cannot determine which sound is meant. I have left it as is. Normally, I would change it in this case. Here:

Bresseloeu = Wroclaw (Vroclaf/v), but the German name is Breslau. So, I don't know if Bresseloeu
    is meant to represent Breslou, Breslau or Breslo(f/v).

Euerewik = York (Eboracum, Everik), but it is the same case. Is it Ever, Ebor, Your? I imagine that is Yourwik

But this is based off Modern French, so... You be the judge.

199/199

Reyno de Castiella e Leon and Reyno de Aragon
    Iberians
    Linguistic Profile
    The Iberian Christians left us some decent resources much like the French coupled with a rich cartographic tradition. Luckily, Castilian, Aragonese, and Catalan are identical in their place names 90% of the time minus orthographic variation. Portuguese is not as similar.
    The Catalan atlas gives Saragosa.
    The Libro del Conosçimiento de Todos los Rregnos gives Çaragoça
    Galician Portuguese Songs give Saragoça
    Really, this is all the same. This is why I intially just combined all three factions. But since returning to improve this submod, I seperated all three factions. However, there is alot of sharing between the three because I couldn't find enough names.
    Aragon has many names from the Catalan Atlas. Yes, I know - Catalan and Aragonese are not the same, but Catalan was a major dialect in the Aragonese Kingdom. And as I said, the place-names are often identical. Iasi has a 'fictional' name - Jaçi. Very unhistorical, 0/10. I am sorry.

199/199

Reino de Portugal
    Portugal
    Linguistic Profile
    The oldest extant literary corpus for Medieval Portugal is conserved in what is known as Galician-Portuguese (aka Old Portuguese). The differences between Galician and Portuguese in this era were quite inconspicuous, but like with categorizing many languages into stages and dialects, it can be rather ambiguous in nature. Furthermore, many of the toponyms recorded in Portuguese sources are often identical to Castilian, Aragonese, and Catalan sources - even Italian sources. Outside of literature, the Portuguese have a very rich cartographic tradition. Albeit, their maps are generally a bit older than the maps of their Iberian and Italian neighbors. As of the date of writing this (2/24/21) I haven't been too successful locating exonyms in the European mainland. I am surely repeating myself, but this doesn't mean that there aren't records of this, it is just that I have not found much. I had to substitute the other Iberian dialects into Portuguese to give it a more thorough working.

199/199

Republica de Viniexia
    Venice
    Linguistic Profile
    The Venetians were a great maritime power during the Middle Ages and Early Modern period. As a mercantile empire they had outposts across the Mediterranean and Black Sea. They engaged in distant merchant activities and are recognized as one of the main centers of the cartographic and portolan tradition. Because of this we have been fortunate enough to have many of these maps in continued preservation. Most notably the map of Fra Mauro - who in my humble opinion is the greatest map creator relative to their era short of Ptolemy, Idrisi, and Mercator. Though my stomach will churn to see Kostantinoupoli converted to Chostantinopoli on the game map I am happy that I have been able to give as many Venetian exonyms as I have.
    There are Tuscan (Pisan) and modern Italian substitutes were I was unable to find Venetian.
    The Venetian orthography is briefly explained further in this post.

199/199

Republica di Pisa
    Pisa
    Linguistic Profile
    The Tuscan dialect, especially that based in Florence, is what modern standard italiano is derived from. As a literary language, it surpassed the Venetian and Sicilian dialects in it's prestige with minds like Machiavelli utilizing it. Though there is considerable literature it happens to be that Florence was the cultural center of it. I was not able to find as much toponymic data within the works of the Tuscan map-makers and writers, etc. that are known to me. For this unfortunate outcome I have taken the liberty to substitute considerable amounts of Venetian and Standard Italian exonyms in the place of cities which I was unable to discover dated equivalents for. The Venetian 'x' has been converted to 's' as the 'x' typically represents an 's' sound as it is used in Tuscan. This is explained more technically in the next section.

199/199

Kingdom of Sicily
    Sicily
    Linguistic Profile
    Sicily has been subject to many peoples throughout history and that is vividly reflected in the medieval period, especially. Though I could talk about the Norman-Arabic culture for ages, I will try to be as concise as possible. Sicily, in the quest to represent a linguistic identity that reigns above all else, is frankly impossible. Sicilian Greek, Medieval Latin, Arabic, French, and the emerging Sicilian dialect were all spoken here. Honestly, to select just one language here would be a major disservice to the history of this land. So, unless I can somehow devise a better alternative.. the Sicilian faction will divide their exonyms between French , Greek, Arabic, and Latin. This will roughly be divided as France, Balkans/Anatolia, North Africa and the Near East, and everything else in Latin, respectively. Albeit, important cities will be given modern Sicilian names.

199/199

Papal States
    Papal States
    Under Construction - The Latins, in the context of medieval Italians, inhabitated the heartland of the former Western Roman Empire. In the 12th century the earliest stages of the various italian dialects like Tuscan, Venetian, Sicilian, and Central (the best form for the Papal States) are evidenced by historical records. Now, as I just mentioned, Central Italian would be the best general dialect to represent the Papal States, but I have gone and went a bit unhistorical here and decided on using Medieval Latin - a written language. I have generally used Latin place-names from Chronicles written within a geographical context.. meaning that I used the Gesta Principum Polonorum for places in Poland and the Historia Anglorum for places in England, so-on and so-on. This is not only convenient, **but it also allows for one to use Latin names for Catholic factions if that were wished. One could easily just use these names, maybe I will make a seperate download for this.** Anyways, I think that Medieval Latin is a bit more interesting for Papal States players.

I have tried to give all place-names in the nominative form. There are certain names that are given in different cases, I do not really understand why this is. Generally, names in Medieval Latin end in -a, Roma, Tolosa, Verona. However, some conserve the Roman Latin names, which are 'technically' not in the nominative form, but regardless, occur with -um. See, Eboracum (York/Everwik), Mediolanum, Iconium, or Lugdunum. Again, I do not know why Latin is like this, I am currently too lazy to learn why. Feel free to explain to me, because I am ignorant of it. The final common ending is -ia, occurs in Antiochia, Cracovia, Susdalia, or Lundonia. More rarely, you will find -ensis, usually on cities that have a close connection with the church, but this is hardly ever the correct proper noun. A small number of names are borrowings from what was done in Tuscan and Venetian.

199/199

Basileía Romaíon
    Romans
    Linguistic Profile
    The Medieval Romans of the East spoke what is referred to as Byzantine Greek. Transcription of Greek is pretty straight forward and variations in names are probably the least common compared to other vernacular languages. The names of cities in a source from the 700s is often the same as one in the 1300s. Though, I stumbled upon the endings -ion and -iou for many names, but was unable to determine the reasoning for the difference - perhaps one is masculine and one is feminine? And once we start looking at post-Roman Empire Greek there are quite a bit of things I don't understand. Such as having 'm' proceed many place names and a transition to 'P' over 'B'. In the DAI, we are given Belgrade, but in the 1500s we see Mpelgirade. There is probably some Turkish influence in this late name. I may choose to use the medieval greek Ptolemy to flesh out these names, but it wouldn't be preferable. It just seems that the Byzantines had no interest in what was going on in the West.

Anyways, Byzantine Greek from hagiography, histiography, geography, and early modern Greek from the time of the fall of Constantinople are all used to accomplish this. Sadly, I cannot find enough material for cities that are further away. I spent many unproductive days searching all the internet and in books - desperate to find something. There are three methods that can be used in my opinion:
    1.) Use the ancient names that were used in this map from the 13th century, or this map
    2.) Use wikipedia to get the names, then throw them into googlebooks and find books from the 1500s+ that use them.
    3.) Find a Greek portolan chart. They exist, but I cannot find facsimiles of them.

Well, the 1500s is closer to 1100s than Ptolemy so... I went with the second option. There probably is something that I didn't find, but I am not spending anymore time searching. It just isn't worth it after so many vain attempts. Many names are also modern. I switched out the v's for b's and f's depending on the names. Rostof, Bísmpy. Hopefully, this is satisfactory.

Now restoring the Empire to it's former glory will be a little more satisfying as each region you control feels a little more Greek with proper names for many settlements.

199/199 (20 are modern or improvised, about 1/3rd are 1500s+, Roskilde and Vrhbosna have names of nearby settlements instead)

Królestwo Polskie
    Poland
    Linguistic Profile
    The Polish language as a major literary language does not emerge until the 1400s, even then the material is scarce. I looked through the many digital libraries of Poland, secondary source material, and I was unable to find much. However, the Polish Exonym wiki is flooded with names and references. Minor Polish dialects are utilized as well as some place names deriving from the other West Slavic languages. Some toponyms like that of Gdansk have older forms, but one from 1148 as Kdansk leaves me content with preserving the form from the earliest Polish Literature as Gdansk rather than using the minorly different forms in the Latin texts. Furthermore, a small number of names are Polishized versions of Old Slavonic names. I cannot help much with correct pronunciation. If someone who understands Middle Polish or just modern Polish, then you are welcome to explain. All I can say is remember that 'w' is like the German one. It is pronounced as 'v'. I made this mistake years ago in Krakow when I was trying to say "Wawel" instead of "Vavel".

199/199

Ruskaja Zemlja, Novgorodskyj Zemlja, and Serbia
    Rus, Novgorod, Serbia
    Linguistic Profile
    Old Slavonic is an interesting language, the Cyrillic alphabet originating from the Greek. However, for my purposes this is problematic because I am , obviously, using the Latin alphabet. That is useful when I am looking through sources written with Latin characters because despite not speaking the language I can identify most place-names relatively easily. As you might imagine not much East Slavic literature is readily available in English. Let alone Spanish, French, or German. So I often have to use modern Russian and run it through google translate than identify it's medieval counterpart in a source that may or may not have been the most practical manuscript to translate from. I.E. The manuscript I am translating from might be from the 1500s, which was a copy of one from the 1200s. Hopefully, you don't fault me for this. Now, if I had my way I would have a Bulgarian faction instead of Serbia, but we do not. For a lack of resources I opted to combine all three factions taking care to use the most proper dialect for each region. I.E. The Balkans uses South Slavic, the East uses East Slavic. Finally, everything West of Poland, Hungary, Balkans probably has no translation, unfortunately.

106/199

Lithuania
    Lithuania

Linguistic Profile
    The fascinating Lithuanian history suffers from a lack of material produced by Lithuanians themselves. Virtually nothing exists and the tradition of Lithuanian linguistics and histography did not begin until well until the modern era. There are only two old exonyms of credibility I encountered. One is crude spelling of Konigsberg in Lithuanian and the other is the Lithuanian name of Grodna recorded in a German chronicle - which happens to match the modern name. Everything in Lithuanian is modern, sadly. There are a handful of calques and a small number of names with no translation I added the masculine -as suffix too. Virtually all names are just from the Wikipedia.

199/199

Āl-e Saljuq
    Seljuks
    Linguistic Profile
    The House of Seljuk ruled the lands of Eran for a little over a century before collapsing under external pressures. Mostly this was the Khwārazmshāh (they were a Turko-Persian ruling class themselves) on their Eastern borders. Personally, I would scrap the Seljuks in favor of the Khwārez, but for toponymic purposes it serves no difference. The lands of Persia, large regions of Iraq, Anatolia, modern day Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, etc. spoke forms of persian or heavily persian influenced turkic languages. The suffix '-stan' is indeed of persian origin. Unfortunately, Persian and Turkic have not received the love by Western scholarship as Arabic has. So, I am kind of limited in my research of Persian and Turkic. The Hudud al Alam includes many useful place names, but much of the information the Persians have comes from their Arab neighbors. Thus the names are very Arabic in nature. The reconciliation for this is that late Middle Persian, New Persian, and Modern Farsi are so similar that utilizing modern names isn't so painful for me to default to.

67/199

al-Mulaththamûn, al-Khilāfat al-Fāṭimīyyah, al-Khilāfat al-Abbāsīyyah, and Zengids

Moors, Egyptians, Abbasids, Zengids
    Linguistic Profile
    I am sort of an enthusiast of Arabic culture and history... Luckily for this project Idrisi left us his wonderful map. I have extracted quite a bit of the information from the transliterated copy of his map. The method of transcription on the map follows the rules of the German language as it was completed by a German scholar. As English speakers the transcription is intelligible for sound purposes. However, there are also French works on the subject of medieval geography. I have compared what French, German, and English transcriptions I could and discovered that French can be converted to sounds that are more familiar to English speakers. Therefore, some exonyms are effectively 'defrenched'. The french (ou) and accents have been converted for standardization of Arabic place names.

As for why the Zengids are included, they settled in modern day Iraq and were fairly Arabized, whereas the rest of the Seljuks usually adopted Persian.

How do I pronounce these names?
    š = sh as in Marrakesh
    ḳ = q/k as in Niqulas/Nikulas
    ṭ = emphatic t, perhaps as in 'tomb'. In Arabic we have a word for an elephant's truck called khartoum. (I love elephants so..)
    ġ = gh as in Baghdad
    ā = alif or 'ah' sound, sometimes ay.
    ū = oo or ou as cartoon or you. Just how you say 'u' as itself.
    ī = ee as sleep
    Šīrāz, to my understanding, is like saying "Shee Rahz"
    Anṭāḳīū, perhaps "An-TahK-eeOO"
    One can more or less ignore the diacritics except for carons like in š, ī and ū

199/199

Selçukiyye-i Rûm
    Seljuks of Rum

Linguistic Profile
    The Seljuks of Rum found themselves in a geographic region that was dominated by Greek and Persian speakers. The Persian language was extremely useful as an administrative language and the influence of Persian culture became such a problem to Turkic authority that in 1277 it was effectively outlawed in many parts of Anatolia and from then on Persian declined as a lingua franca in the region. Ironically, the Turkic powers from Anatolia to Transoxiana converted to a sedentary culture on the shoulders of Persian and Arabic society and many of the Ottoman writers still wrote in Persian up into the 1500s. This is not meant to detract from any achievements of the Turkic peoples, but to set the stage for the way Turkic toponyms function in this mini-mod. As a ruling class over a not yet turkified region, it would not make sense for toponyms to be purely Turkic at the start of this campaign. Therefore, the place-names until prompted otherwise will be based off the few Anatolian Turkish and the Persian ones, but will evolve into Ottoman Turkish later in the game. This is not worth it. Although, it would be worth noting that Ottoman Turkish is not a vernacular language. That belongs to what could be referred to as Vulgar Turkish - to which there is little medieval literature (that I know of). Furthermore, as the inheritors of the Islamic traditions much of the place-names are essentially Turkified versions of the existing Arabic and Persian names. Of course, this is rather the manner of all exonyms, but it is amplified by the Ottoman Turkish translations of Arabic and Persian literature. The colloquial names of many cities in Older Turkic are unknown to me. Original Turkic names tend to be compounds of color adjectives and place nouns - White Fortress, Yellow Palace, etc. All of this said.. Evliya Çelebi and Kâtib Çelebiremain two of the greatest sources of Ottoman geography.

Transcription
    The Old Anatolian Turkish and later Ottoman Turkish language were written using the Arabic script, or Persianized Arabic script. Later, after Ataturks reforms, the script was switched quite rapidly to Latin. Transcribing is not as standardized as with Arabic or Persian. One will find many different forms of the same names depending on the era and the transcriber. I have tried to conform to modern Turkish standards. Not because of a bias for Ataturk's reforms or any such political reason, but purely to seperate it aesthetically from the Persian and Arabic place names. I would prefer to avoid politics that are clearly outside of the context of this mod.

The Old Anatolian Turkish borrowing of the "-iyyah" nisba from arabic as "-iyye" has been used in place of the Persian "-iya". This is primarily to distinguished the names from Arabic and Persian, as well as to revitalize the orthographical nature of Old Anatolian Turkish that is less prevalent in Ottoman Turkish. The exact nature of the nisba in place names eludes me, but it has been suggested that it means "the place of". So, Kiyoviyye would mean "Place of Kiev".. but I am wary of this. Regardless, this is how I have chosen to do it. The Turkish translation of Mercator, I have changed the turko-latin "-iya" to "-iyye" as well. Roskildiyye.

Ş/ş = Sh as in Shah
    Ç/ç = Ch as in Chalk
    C/c = J sound
    Â/â = as far as I can tell, is like the arabic Ā/ā, ah.
    Î/î = ee as in See
    Û/û = u as in do, to, coup (koo)
    Ü/ü = u as in pure
    Ï/ï = "e in legend or i in cousin"
    Ğ/ğ = in old Turkish, essentially ġ, gh, Baghdad. I do not believe the g is silent as in modern turkish.

Üstolni Belğïrad = forgive me if wrong, Ew-Stal-ne Bell-Ghe-raht

199/199 (Oslo, Skara, Pskov, Rostov, and Bergen are standard)

Dasht-i-Qïpčaq
    Cumans
    Linguistic Profile
    As a largely nomadic pagan peoples there is naturally very little Cumanic, Bolgar, and Middle Turkic literature known to us. Outside of very scarce monuments of Khazar, Arabic, Persian, Rus', and other documentation on the Cumans we are left with the Cumanic Codex and the excerpts of the aforementioned peoples on the people of Cumania. There are of course other examples of Kipchak Turkic, but specifically Cuman is alien. That said, there may be wonderful studies done in Russian or other Cyrillic alphabets, but I cannot access them. Using what little sources there are and studies done by more qualified people I have reconstructed and extracted what I could. And since it is a turkic language, it has been decided that ottoman will suffice. So you will have all names change.

199/199

Ulu Orda
    Golden Horde
    Linguistic Profile
    A Mongolic high culture simply did not exist. The Turkic subjects of the Western arms of the Mongol Empire quickly positioned themselves as the winning culture much like the Greek in the dominion of the Romans a millennium before. The Great Hordes of the Mongols rapidly found themselves adopting and assimilating into the sedentary lifestyle of their subjects. Although the Turks were only in their infancy as masters of the Persian and Arabic world they seemed to have held a fine middle ground between the more proper Islamic character of the Arabs and Persians and the paganistic nomadic culture of their Mongol conquerors - that is, many Turks were only nominally Muslim during this period. Whether it was an inability to adopt the ways of their enemies like the Romans, Arabs, and Persians before or the superiority of the native culture in the context of this new environment, the hordes quickly ceased being masses of nomadic warriors and more like the indigenous peoples. The effects of Mongolian on the languages of the asian west are nothing in comparison to the vast sum of words borrowed into Turkic from Persian and Arabic (and I specifically mean the effects of loanwords; Mongolic and Turkic are infact categorized as being in the same family by some linguists), but they left a mark on the languages forever. All of this considered, what is known as Chagatai Turkic became the literary backbone of the former Mongol domains. So, the toponyms of the Golden Horde are derived almost exclusively from the place names of the Secret History, the Chagatai literature, and the modern Uzbek language as that is the closest to Chagatai.

7/199

Magyar Királyság
    Hungary
    Linguistic Profile
    Though the Hungarian people in 1132 were speaking a purer, less slavicized, less germanicized vernacular the classification of Old Magyar as either Uralic or Turkic had remained a point of discourse even until today. It is generally classified as belonging to the Uralic family and the similarities with Turkic are often considered due to Ottoman influence rather than the ancient origins of the Magyars. There are virtually no written examples of old Hungarian, so I am forced to use place names that are more or less identical to modern names.
    The official languages of Hungary remained Latin and German up until the modern era, but the common folk still spoke Hungarian.
    A small number of place-names are calques (literal translations) which I have added myself due to lack of sources.
    In my opinion the Hungarian faction deserves to be more unique from it's European neighbors and hopefully my place names will be a good start at that.

113/199

Kingdom of Georgia
    Georgia
    Not as bad as Lithuanian or the Mongols, Georgia has a handful of medieval exonyms for our uses. Though, it is mostly what I found in the Georgian Annals, sadly.

24/199

Rebels
    Minor Languages
    Rebel settlements and settlements captured by rebels will give the historical widely spoken language as accurately as possible. These languages include Basque, Old Occitan, Post Classical Syriac, Old Prussian, Circassian languages, old Dutch dialects, etc.

Some Notes and Quirks

Past Attempts
    There have been a number of renditions of this project for grand strategy games. I have not encountered any that are as historical as mine. It seems that most people who have taken on the project have limited the amount of names to native regions, have used Wikipedia exclusively, or have poorly represented the names by using modern forms. Though mine are not perfect by any means, I can assure you that I have at least put forward much effort and time. I would argue that this is more than just a mod to some degree as it is a study of medieval toponymy across many cultures.

Toponymic Peculiarities
    In medieval times the compilers of historical works, maps, and such relied on contemporary source material. This usually required interviewing merchants, foreigners, and consulting the works of others. One could likely imagine why this would result in errors or corruption of place-names. Furthermore, the vulgarization and 'dialectization' of languages leads to orthographic and phonetic varieties. There was no standardization of the written languages back then and Latin was utilized often. An example of the variety of orthographic and phonetic renditions of the word/suffix “burg”, meaning a castle or a city, follows:-byrg (common in Old English and Northern dialects of Middle English)
    -borg (exceedingly common in Old Norse)
    -berg (encountered in Middle English and German dialects)
    -berc (encountered in German dialects)
    -burc (encountered in Middle High German)
    -borch (common in Dutch)
    -burch (encountered in Middle High and Low German and Alemannic)
    -burgh (common in Skots and Middle English)
    -berghe (occurs in Middle French)
    -burque (occurs in Iberian languages)
    -bourg (common in Middle French)
    -bergo (common in italian dialects)
    -perg
    -bourch
    -bourc
    -borc

And furthermore, here are Old/Middle French renditions of Weissenburg:

Vuyssembourg
    Vuissembourg
    Vuisembourg
    Visimbourg
    Wisenborc
    Visenburch
    Visembergh
    Wisebourg
    Veissemburg
    Vueissembourg

It is not worth being too meticulous about this, but I have taken the age of the name, the author/source, whether or not it is a exact borrowing from another language, and many other things into consideration to provide what I believe are the most genuine colloquial names. In this case, Vueissembourg was chosen. In my opinion, travel diaries are best for this, because the authors will write place names how they hear them. Of course, this may lead to corruption, but many toponyms are corrupt by nature.

Far Away Places
    Sources that have detailed accounts of the East were rare. To Westerners, knowledge of Persia largely came from the few select sources that were translated and disseminated throughout Europe. Unsurprisingly, Hayton, Marco Polo, and John Mandeville (and others) have been translated multiple times. They were relied upon by early map-makers to produce maps of the East. This is why it is common that cities like Tbilisi, Shiraz, Urgench show up in the same form all across Europe. Everyone was using the same sources.

Compounds and Calques
    Many settlements are named by adding two words together, especially with an adjective and a noun. A common example of this is "White City". Sometimes, these compounds, for reasons unknown to me, have a propensity to be literally translated. This is especially the case for "White City"

Fehervar (Hungarian)
    Weissenberg (German)
    Hwítenbyrg (Old English)
    Wyssyngburgh (Middle English)
    Hvítsborg (Old Norse)

Bialogrod (Slavic)
    Castlebianc (Venetian)
    Chastelblanc (Old French)
    Castielloblanco in Old Castilian
    Castelobranco in Old Portuguese
    Aq Qala (Cumanic compound)

or "White House"

Sarkyl (Khazar)
    Lefkón Oïkina (Greek)

or slight differences:

al-Bayḍā (Medieval Arabic)

However, calques are relatively rare.
    A counter example would be the use of "Belgraba" by Idrisi for settlements in Eastern Europe. The English also got much information of happenings in the East from the French. Many English sources give Belgrade, Belgrave, Belgrado, and many other variations. However, they also got information from the rare accounts of Englishmen who were in the area. A Middle English poem gives the Anglicized German form "Grecuswyssyngburgh." Of course, Greek White City is today's Belgrade in Serbia, but "Wyssyingburgh" can be used for the Hungarian cities in game.

When there are historical examples of toponyms developing calques, like with Belgrad, I have taken the liberty to use old words to produce a name for cities that I was unable to find historical names for. In contrast, I was not as fortunate with Novogorod, which I have compounded from the existing place-names on Idrisi's map to make Nubaġrāba.

Historical Occurences
    The most pertinent examples of historical events damaging the proper naming of cities is the destruction of certain cities and the development of new names of existing cities. The Khazar city of Atil was destroyed by the Rus, Saqsin arose in it's place. Saqsin was conquered by the Mongols and may or may not have been the actual or a second location of the city of the name, Sarai-Batu. Regardless, Saqsin came to an end and Astarkhan rose to prominence. By this time the Latins and everyone else were just arriving in the area. They never knew the name Saqsin. However, the word "tarkhan" is an old turkic word (essentially meaning ruler) that was common even in the days of the Khazars. Tamantarkhan, Astarkhan.

The city known as Aqtobe in game is more appropriately Saray-Juk. It existed before the Mongols "visited". In Cumanic, it would've been named similar or identical to Kici-Saray. In Kazahk it is Kishi Saray and in Tatar Saraychyq.

Tamantarkhan was replaced with Matrega by the Latins, so if a Catholic faction takes it, this will occur.
    Sigtuna became less important than Upsala. Upsala's names are used.

The Western literature rarely mentions Ani, Sis, Alamut, Wasit, Kutaisi, Tebuk, Qws, Iasi, Hamadan, Severin, pretty much everything in Russia, and Caernarvan. The names are either given in the closest next language or in their local form if nothing was found.

Vulgarization
    The dialects of Venetian and Tuscan did not appear from nowhere - they came from Latin. Problem being that this shift is occuring in it's infancy at the start of the game in 1132. The venacular literature did not really begin until 200-300 years later. In Northern Italy people wrote in Latin, Occitan.. there was the whole thing with Occitan and French writers having a struggle with Latin, but it isn't needed discussed here. Point being that the Pisans and Venetians have accelerated their linguistic development by a century and more. Here is a comparison between Tuscan and Venetian toponymy:

Venetian/Tuscan/Modern
    Veniexia/Vinegia/Venice
    Parixius/Parigi/Paris
    Chostantinopoli/Gostantinopoli/Constantinople

"Medieval texts, written in Old Venetian, include the letters ⟨x⟩, ⟨ç⟩ and ⟨z⟩ to represent sounds that do not exist or have a different distribution in Italian. Specifically:

• The letter ⟨x⟩ was often employed in words that nowadays have a voiced /z/-sound (compare English xylophone); for instance ⟨x⟩ appears in words such as raxon, Croxe, caxa ("reason", "(holy) Cross" and "house"). The precise phonetic value of ⟨x⟩ in Old Venetian texts remains unknown, however.
    • The letter ⟨z⟩ often appeared in words that nowadays have a varying voiced pronunciation ranging from /z/ to /dz/ or /ð/ or even to /d/; even in contemporary spelling zo "down" may represent any of /zo, dzo, ðo/ or even /do/, depending on the dialect; similarly zovena "young woman" could be any of /ˈzovena/, /ˈdzovena/ or /ˈðovena/, and zero "zero" could be /ˈzɛro/, /ˈdzɛro/ or /ˈðɛro/.
    • Likewise, ⟨ç⟩ was written for a voiceless sound which now varies, depending on the dialect spoken, from /s/ to /ts/ to /θ/, as in for example dolçe "sweet", now /ˈdolse ~ ˈdoltse ~ ˈdolθe/, dolçeça "sweetness", now /dolˈsesa ~ dolˈtsetsa ~ dolˈθeθa/, or sperança "hope", now /speˈraŋsa ~ speˈraŋtsa ~ speˈraŋθa/.

A phonetic phenomenon is the intervocalic weakening of the Italian soft g, the voiced affricate /dʒ/ (g as in judge) and soft c, the voiceless affricate /tʃ/ (ch as in church), known as attenuation, or, more commonly, as deaffrication."

Dubious and Uncontemporary Names
    Konstantinstadt (Early Modern German Constantinople)
    Vizendúvár (Hungarian name given by a Turkish source for Constantinople)
    Etzelburg (German - Possibly Esztergom, maybe Buda, Gran is more common)
    Christiania (Early Modern Oslo)
    Catelant Paganis (an early name of Konigsberg given by Iberian cartographers, presumably when it was a Pagan city)

Integrity and Reliability
    ***I am not a linguist and I am not privy to sound change.***

This interest developed out of an inquiry into Byzantine Greek one day and it grew from there. It now encompasses every culture in SSHIP and more.

Orthographically, everything derived from historical sources is recorded exactly (unless I have outlined otherwise) as I have seen it in the text or exactly as it was recorded by researchers. If there was sound change and it has been accounted for in paleography, then it was not my doing, but that of the original translator(s). The exceptions I will try to outline in the faction specific sections. The U and V characters are used interchangeably in old texts, I have switched all confusing instances to the more familiar form - (Rostoue = Rostove, Rostov).

I try to refrain from changing the orthography, because I believe they should be preserved. It's funny because many medieval copiers left angry messages damning people for doing this. However, I wish to reflect the old orthography and phonetics. I am opposed to changing some, but I will change others. I try not to damage sounds. If I feel that a change is warranted, I have done so and I have mentioned it.

Looking at Cartographic charts can be difficult, figuring out which letters are what, etc. You may see a mild example of this here:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bt...20dulcert.zoom
    If you spend enough time studying these things, it can help, but distinguishing between some letters can be difficult. It is possible that I have made a mistake, but I have done my best.

If you understand any of these languages in their medieval forms then I would be most indebted to you for your hard work if you were to assist me in providing the most historical records of these names.

As of 3/30/21 I have 3300+ names. It is likely there are at least a few minor mistakes I have missed

The Road to 199
    Getting to 199 names is not possible using only sources from the 12th century. I gather all I can from the most contemporary sources. It is necessary that I move to later sources to get as many historical names as possible. Generally, I do not need to extend beyond the 1500s. When I have deemed it needed, I have switched younger orthography to older ones. I have considered many things that is probably completely boring to you, but I have done what I can to be as thorough as possible. And yes, sacrifices were made, but it isn't going to be noticeable.

Excel File with all Names
    If you want to use these names for personal use, curiosity, or expand it.. be my guest. If you use my work in any way please just give me credit. It took countless hours upon countless hours to accumulate these names. Criticisms are equally welcome, but specifically encouraged for Greek, Slavonic, and Latin.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/der0w...on+4.xlsx/file

Future Plans
    There is always the prospect of discovering more studies and historical material that I can use to expand the names and I would implement if that becomes reality. Someone who has access to studies of historical literature and such in other languages can fill in the blanks.
    I have many regional names in old forms, but not enough to cover the whole map.
    Unit names can be reconstructed to old forms. For example English units could be:

Englisce Cnihts
    Saxun Speremæn
    Noreman Sergaunz
    Kynges Mæn
    Kynges Bodigarde
    Æxemæn
    Yeman Archers
    Preost
    Spie

Regions, Titles, and Faction Names (pretty much already done) might follow if I decide I want to.

THIS NAME IS WRONG!

If you encounter a name you find to be incorrect please consider firstly that it may just be a strange exonym. Take Floreberg for French Nuremburg. This is odd, but it is correct - I promise.

If you are more concerned, please refer to the excel sheet and check to see if it matches. If it doesn't, then there is likely a problem. Please report to me.

If you google the name and you get no result, please do not come here saying these names are made up. The names are on maps, in manuscripts, and early printed books that you will only find using digital facsimiles.

If you encounter a name for Hisnkeyf, Aktobe, Sharukan, Sarkel, or Konjikala that you are concerned about. Chances are it is indeed wrong. These settlements often have no exonyms. I have tried my best to give a name that is an accurate calque or based off the modern name.

If you are playing as Hungary, Cumans, or Sicily the names are - as I have pointed out in their sections - imperfect.

Indebted To
    The SSHIP team for this wonderful mod.
    Jurand of Cracow for assisting me greatly in the early stages of this mini-mod;
    Jurand and Belovese for continued assistance.
    Further thanks to Belovese.
    Special thanks to everyone here
    My زَوْجَة
    An unnamed Englishman.
    Shikaka, for answering an inquiry relating to Hungarian.
    An unnamed Persian friend.
    The work of everyone in the links below.
    Kaiser for second opinion.
    Giorgios, for pointing out a flaw in Greek names
    Last edited by Cephalophore; June 15, 2023 at 12:26 AM.

Default Placeholder

Unincorporated Names

Added 10/26/21

POLISH
    Seraiu Sarai
    Kiiowa Kiev
    Czernieiow Chernihiv

RUTHENIAN (Rus and Lithuania)
    Петъковъc
    Великии Новъгород
    Резанъ
    Переꙗсловль
    Вильни
    Petŭkovŭ Pskov?
    Velikii Novŭgorod Novgorod
    Rezanŭ Rezan
    Perejaslovlĭ Pereyslavl
    Vilĭni Vilnius

TATAR/KWAREZMIAN (Mongols, Kipchaks)
    Kirakuv Krakow
    Pozna Poznan

GALICIAN-PORTUGUESE/IBERIAN
    Costantinobra
    Costantinobre

CZECH COSMOGRAPHIA
    Fryburk
    Utrecht
    Lovanyum
    Koliin or Kolin? Kolun cologne
    Tryr Trever?
    Keyseria
    Szpeyr
    Weyszenburk
    Last edited by Cephalophore; October 26, 2021 at 08:58 PM.

Default Sources

Non-Exhaustive List of Sources and Useful Links
    There are just way too many to list. I will locate a source upon request.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    https://digi.vatlib.it/
    http://www.attalus.org/armenian/index.html (Armenian/Georgian)
    https://www.jassa.org/
    https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/sbook.asp
    http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/
    https://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/augustana.html
    http://medievalsourcesbibliography.org/index.php
    http://www.trobar.org/ (Romance)
    http://historiacartarum.org/omeka/neatline/
    https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8447838j/ (French)
    http://corpora.iliauni.edu.ge/ (Georgian)
    http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/turkicsite.htm (Turkish, but highly unreliable; propagandist even)
    http://lib.pushkinskijdom.ru/Default.aspx?tabid=10025 (Russian)
    http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer....ms_19391_f017v (Greek Ancient/Middle Ptolemy)
    https://www.loc.gov/resource/amedmon...0271051992-ma/ (con't)
    https://www.europeana.eu/en/item/920..._3000126274472
    http://myoldmaps.com/maps-from-antiq...119ptolemy.pdf
    https://press.uchicago.edu/books/HOC..._chapter15.pdf
    https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Urb.gr.82
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...lemy/home.html
    https://library.princeton.edu/byzant...tion_value=All
    http://213.21.172.25/0b02da8280051bec
    https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Urb.gr.83
    https://www.wdl.org/fr/item/10625/
    Travel and Perception in Byzantium by Catia Galatariotou
    http://users.uoa.gr/~nektar/history/...istoriarum.htm
    Laonikos Chalkokondyles
    https://reader.digitale-sammlungen.d...890_00001.html
    https://www.bulgari-istoria-2010.com...ud_Al_Alam.pdf
    https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_p...AMAAJ/mode/2up
    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...zantine_Period
    http://mss.bmlonline.it/s.aspx?Id=AW...narratio#/book
    https://heimskringla.no/wiki/Yngvars...3%B0f%C3%B6rla (Norse)
    http://www.germanicmythology.com/ind...%C3%B0urlanda_ (con't)
    https://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=skaldic
    https://archive.org/details/corpuspo...uuoft/mode/2up
    https://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
    https://onp.ku.dk/onp/onp.php?
    http://www.billstanton.co.uk/pearl/menu.htm (English)
    https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/ (con't)
    http://pase.ac.uk/index.html
    https://exhibits.stanford.edu/califo...s-an-island?q=
    http://www.prdl.org/author_view.php?a_id=335 (Magyar)
    https://www.linguistics.rub.de/rem/ (MHG)
    http://expositions.nlr.ru/LaurentianCodex/eng/index.php (Slavonic)
    http://www.hispanicseminary.org/textconc-en.htm (Iberian)
    https://lba.georgetown.edu/
    https://libro.uca.edu/chronicleofjames/chronicle.htm
    http://www.filaha.org/texts_translations.html (Arabic)
    https://press.uchicago.edu/books/HOC...1_chapter5.pdf
    https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/...6-58d385a7bc34 (Artistic References)
    http://jessehurlbut.net/wp/mssart/
    https://arsivgtt.files.wordpress.com...a7ukname-1.pdf (Turkic)
    http://dspace.epoka.edu.al/bitstream...=1&isAllowed=y
    https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED579980.pdf
    https://persian.packhum.org/main?url...6%26work%3D002 (Persian)
    http://www.bu.edu/mzank/Jerusalem/tx/bookoftravels.htm
    https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001139702
    https://mek.oszk.hu/ (Magyar Database)
    http://real-r.mtak.hu/
    https://hungaricana.hu/en/
    http://lazarus.elte.hu/gb/gbindex.html
    https://kpbc.ukw.edu.pl/dlibra (Polish)
    https://jbc.bj.uj.edu.pl/dlibra
    https://www.omnia.ie/index.php
    https://polona.pl/
    http://polskiepoznawanieswiata.pl/pl..._f5gwB1Xr.html
    http://www.mab.lt/ (Lithuanian)
    https://www.europeana.eu/mt
    https://www.hakluyt.com/ (Travel Literature)
    http://old-ru.ru/
    https://digihum.de/ (German Travelers)
    https://archive.org/details/s2bookof...e/n57/mode/2up
    https://miocid.wlu.edu/main/folio.php?f=01r&v=nor
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoria_de_Espa%C3%B1a
    http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/obra...-ruy-m1412-209
    https://portolanero.neocities.org/oostlant.html
    History of Cartography By Leo Bagrow
    Romweg Map https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/m...erhard-etzlaub
    Caerte van Oostlant
    Nikolaus von Popplau (useful but cant find)
    Peter Sparnau 1385 - 1385
    Leo of Rozmital 1465-1467
    Schwytzer Chronika
    Sigismund von Herberstein 1557
    Familie Rieter (Pecuilar dialect or corruptions of places)
    Georgs von Ehingen 1457-1508
    Arnold Von Harff
    Tucher, Hans Reisebuch
    Germania Totius Europae Regnum amplissimum ac florentissimum Sedes Imperatoria
    Seebuch 1470
    Saxon World Chronicle
    Eberhard of Gandersheim 13th century MLG
    1250 Nibelungenlied
    Rolandslied
    Parzival
    Wallehalm
    Johannes Schiltberger (many dialects across manuscripts, place names vary)
    Di Kronike von Pruzinlant (vivid accounts of battle - "Some limped, some crawled, some were carried away, some were exhausted and some were dead, according to the fortunes of war.")

Historia Fiorentina
    John of Montecorvino
    Odoric of Pordenone
    Charta Pisane
    Pratica della Mercatura 1471 copy of a 14th century manuscript

Fra Mauro
    Michael of Rhodes
    Zibaldone da Canal
    Pizigano, Francesco https://www.loc.gov/item/2020587733/
    Vite dei Dogi
    Giovanni Maria Angiolello
    Niccolò Zeno 1515-1565
    Giosafat Barbaro 1413–1494
    Ambrogio Contarini
    Anglo-Saxon Orosius
    Chronicle of London
    Mandeville
    Lustneth, lordinges, bothe yonge ant olde
    Alle that beoth of huerte trewe
    Layamon's Brut
    The principal navigations, voyages, traffiques and discoveries of the English nation

Nuzhat-al-Qulub persian
    Hudud al-Alam persian

Georgian Annals
    Piri Reis
    Evliyā, Çelebi
    A History of Cathay: a translation and linguistic analysis of a fifteenth-century Turkic manuscript
    Battalname
    East Encounters West. France and the Ottoman Empire in the Eighteenth Century
    Katib Çelebi
    Levâmİ‘u’n-Nûr
    Menaziru’l-Avalim
    Ottoman Explorations of the Nile: Evliya Çelebi’s ‘Matchless Pearl These Reports of the Nile’ Map and his Accounts of the Nile and the Horn of Africa in The Book of Travels
    Tarih Kıtapları ve Vakayi-nâme
    Tevarih-i Tatar Han ve Dağıstan ve Moskov ve Deşt-i Kıpçak Ülkelerinindir
    Vakıatı Sultan Cem
    http://orhannaciak.com/Default.aspx
    http://www.kitabicihannuma.com/dosyalar.asp
    http://www.tuba.gov.tr/files/yayinla...as%20Minor.pdf
    http://www.tuba.gov.tr/tr/yayinlar/s...-i-atlas-minor
    https://app.digitale-sammlungen.de/b...4%2Fcanvas%2F1
    https://archive.org/details/32882019...e/n31/mode/1up
    https://archive.org/details/AnonimTe...e/n36/mode/1up
    https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...iew=1up&seq=92
    https://digi.vatlib.it/view/MSS_Vat.turc.73
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonym...con_Austriacum latin
    https://studylibtr.com/doc/912193
    https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katego...aynak_eserleri
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...anuni_1566.jpg
    https://www.academia.edu/38408290/Ea...ib_%C3%87elebi
    https://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/v...006%202015.pdf
    https://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/v...006%202015.pdf
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover
    https://www.loc.gov/resource/g5692b....88,0.915,0.5,0
    https://ottomanhistorians.uchicago.edu/en
    https://archive.org/stream/literatur...e/268/mode/1up
    https://ia600209.us.archive.org/19/i...01bodluoft.pdf
    Atlas dziecinny, czyli nowy sposób do nauczania dzieci geografii
    Geografia Powszechna Czasow Teraznieyszych Albo Opisanie krótkie Kraiow całego Swiata [...] : Z nayświeższych wiadomości, Kraiopisarzów y Wędrowników Zebrana, ku pożytkowi Młodzi Narodowey na Szkoły Publiczne Wydana
    Wymysorys (Polona-deutsch Language)
    Podróże historyczne po ziemiach polskich
    Dwie podróże Jakóba Sobieskiego
    Radziwiłł, Mikołaj Krzysztof
    Macieja Rywockiego Księgi peregrynackie
    Stanisława Oświęcima Dyaryusz
    Kronika sarmacji europejskiej przetłumaczona
    Marcin Kromer

Zalánkeményi Kakas István
    Europica Varietas 1620
    Demeter Görög
    Tinódi, Sebestyén
    Heltai
    al-Sharafī
    maghreb chart
    Abulfeda
    ibn Fadlan
    al-idrisi (the most comprehensive source for medieval place names in Arabic)
    Géographie du moyen âge: Volume 2
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...AAAAMAAJ?hl=en
    Latin Place Names Database
    https://rbms.info/lpn/
    Chronica Hungarorum
    https://corvina.hu/kepnezegeto/index...ang=en&img=2#2
    Galician-Portuguese Songs
    https://cantigas.fcsh.unl.pt/index.asp?ling=eng
    Czech Cosmographia (May be useful for West Slavic/Polish place names, but very hard to read)
    https://dbc.wroc.pl/dlibra/publicati...n/7812/content
    As above, but French. La cosmographie vniverselle de tout le monde
    https://www.google.com/books/edition...C?hl=en&gbpv=0
    Germanic Sea Book
    https://www.dsm.museum/seebuch/

Useful Primary Source Genres and Styles of Literature/Manuscripts

Travelogues, Itineraries, Portolans, Seabooks, Geographical works, Cartography, Poetry, Chronicles, Charters, Diplomas, Inscriptions, Merchant Handbooks, Hagiography, Autobiographies, Diaries, etc.
    Last edited by Cephalophore; April 07, 2021 at 04:21 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Authentic Settlement Names by Cephalophore

Great, Cephalophore!
    You might have come accross this tutorial, but I've just spotted it now.

The latest version is available in the original post now.

Great work! Would is it included in the new upcoming version of sship?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

I think it depends on what the whole team decides. I think that in the least SSHIP would benefit from just using the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file. Meaning that the settlements will just remain in their native form, but won't change (I have Persian, Polish, and Georgian names that could be implemented for this). I haven't extensively tested 0.97 myself yet, but if the script is significantly heavier and coupled with my mod it might be a drag on the turn times My turn time hasn't been too affected by this - it's probably about 10 seconds longer, but it could be killing someone else's. And even if it's not included it's very easy to install

I was hoping to get some feedback while I work on some other things for SSHIP. Preferably with my Slavonic and Greek names and any inconsistencies that might be in my mod so that it will be as accurate as possible.

@Ceph: concerning coding mind that after Gigantus' remarks and some reflection on the technicalities / in-game realities, the optimal coding seems to look like this:

Code:
        ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------  TURKU

monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Turku

if FactionReligion catholic
                change_settlement_name Turku Abo

if I_EventCounter is_the_player = 1 
                    historic_event SETTLEMENT_NAME_CHANGE
                end_if
            end_if

if not FactionReligion catholic 
                change_settlement_name Turku Turku
            end_if

end_monitor

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------  KRAKOW
        monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Krakow

if FactionType poland
                change_settlement_name Krakow Krakow
                historic_event CONQUERED_KRAKOW_PL  factions { poland, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, hungary, lithuania, kievan_rus, russia, cumans, }
            end_if

if  FactionType hre
                change_settlement_name Krakow Krakau
                historic_event CONQUERED_KRAKOW  factions { poland, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, hungary, lithuania, kievan_rus, russia, cumans, }
            end_if

if not FactionType slave
            and not FactionType poland
            and not FactionType hre        
                change_settlement_name Krakow Krakow
                historic_event CONQUERED_KRAKOW  factions { poland, hre, france, england, norway, denmark, hungary, lithuania, kievan_rus, russia, cumans, }
            end_if

if I_EventCounter is_the_player = 1 
            and RandomPercent < 66
            and I_EventCounter is_the_ai > 2
                console_command set_building_health Krakow hinterland_roads 60
            end_if    

end_monitor
    Main goals are:
    - use as few monitors as possible (so 1 for each city)
    - provide optimally few notifications to the player (he's interested in the change of the name of a city only if he conquers it himself, and he might be interested in conquest of major cities only if he is nearby)
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; November 03, 2020 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks, Jurand. I believe I did use the first method for all of my coding, unforunately. The main problem I haven't been able to rectify concerns basing commands off of religion (especially catholic) ends up like this:

I want Castile/Leon, Aragon, and Portugal to change names..
    S4/Spanish Name #4 = Allexandre via expanded text. It is easier to code this way in notepad++, imo.

Code:
        monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Alexandria
            and CharacterReligion catholic
            and not FactionType venice
            and not FactionType pisa
            and not FactionType sicily
            and not FactionType papal_states
            and not FactionType england
            and not FactionType scotland
            and not FactionType france
            and not FactionType hre
            and not FactionType hungary
            and not FactionType poland
            and not FactionType norway
            and not FactionType denmark
            and not FactionType jerusalem

change_settlement_name Alexandria    S4
        end_monitor
    or France and KoJ
    Code:
        monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName    Alexandria
            and FactionType france

change_settlement_name    Alexandria    Alixandre 
        end_monitor

and FactionType jerusalem

end_monitor
    I don't know if or how you can have multiple factions on one line. I tried doing it like you have an event. Attempts at doing it based on culture i.e. "if factionculture southern_european" caused all the names to revert to french toponyms. I have no idea why that happens.
    Code:
    if FactionType {france, jerusalem, }

Based on your second code and if I understand what you mean, I think I could switch to this method? It would mean that there would be 199 (for all settlements) monitors and up to 31 (for factions) elements
    Code:

if  FactionType Moors
    change_settlement_name Alexandria    Al_Iskanderia
    end_if
    if  FactionType Egypt
    end_if
    if  FactionType Abbasids
    end_if
    if  FactionType Zengids
    end_if
    if  FactionType France
    end_if
    if  FactionType Jerusalem
    end_if
    if  FactionType byzantium
    change_settlement_name    Alexandria    Alexandreia 
    end_if
    if  FactionType hre
    change_settlement_name Alexandria    Iskenderija
    end_if
    if  FactionType Russia
    change_settlement_name  Alexandria    Oleksandrija 
    end_if
    if  FactionType Kievan_Rus
    end_if
    if  FactionType Serbia
    end_if
    if  FactionType Denmark
    change_settlement_name Alexandria     Alexanðría
    end_if
    if  FactionType Norway 
    change_settlement_name Alexandria     Alexanðría
    end_if
    if  FactionType Spain
    change_settlement_name Alexandria     Allexandre
    end_if
    if  FactionType Aragon
    end_if
    if  FactionType Portugal
    end_if
    if FactionType England
    change_settlement_name Alexandria     Alexandrea
    end_if

end_monitor
    Like this??
    Last edited by Cephalophore; November 05, 2020 at 06:37 AM.

@Cephalophore for castilians/aragoneses what language do you use? Old castilian? In current spanish would be Alejandría...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

I used old castillian, but I do not remember which exact source I got it from.
    They differ alot, I tend to choice the oldest one

I no longer have the links to any accompanying facsimiles of manuscripts because they are mostly unreadable and I only use to verify certain names.

Many of these names will yield you no results if you google them, but I promise that the vast majority are historically recorded.
    I also used Catalan Atlas, Chronica do descobrimento e conquisita de Guiné, and Pedro Tafur.

If you download my excel file, all the spanish names are color coded based on dialect
    Last edited by Cephalophore; November 05, 2020 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalophore View Post
    I used old castillian, but I do not remember which exact source I got it from.
    They differ alot, I tend to choice the oldest one

I no longer have the links to any accompanying facsimiles of manuscripts because they are mostly unreadable and I only use to verify certain names.

Many of these names will yield you no results if you google them, but I promise that the vast majority are historically recorded.
    I also used Catalan Atlas, Chronica do descobrimento e conquisita de Guiné, and Pedro Tafur.

If you download my excel file, all the spanish names are color coded based on dialect
    Ook perfect mate, thanks for the information
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

@Ceph: yes, if you want to change every settlement name, then there'd be 199 monitors. This matters for the turn time, but I find it still acceptable. They will fire only during " GeneralCaptureSettlement" phase and will in 198 cases end at the first line (SettlementName).
    It can go. And at some point additional effects may be added, if we'd fancy it.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

This seems to come very close to the submod I'm working on, "Authentic Faction Names & Character Titles". The same files are being changed. Would you like to cooperate? We could merge our works so as to have a authentic names for factions, titles, regions, etc.
    I regularly study these kinds of things, but I'm pretty bad at keeping mods up-to-date, so I'd gladly move my work over to your mod, if you'd like. Hit me up if you wanna collaborate.
    Last edited by Eldgrimr; February 07, 2021 at 05:20 AM.

@Eldgrimr
    I sent you a pm.

I would like some opinions on something guys. Cumanic/Kipchak and Mongolian sources are rare and therefore I have very little names for these factions. Being that this mini-mod is supposed to historical and accurately represent old settlement names for each language/faction in game I am kind of opposed to my own suggestion, but I want to know what you think before I make such a decision.

What do you think of using Ottoman Turkish names to provide all settlements with names for the Cumans and Mongols? Yes or no? No, it's not accurate, but it's close enough?

Thanks

Cuman language was a Turkic language, so I think that without useful sources, Ottoman Turkish would be good enough.

P.S. For Rum Seljuks have you used the Turkish or Persian language? If I recall correctly, at the beginnging of their establishment in the region the official language was Persian, and then they slowly changed to Turkish...

Thank you for the response, Kaiser. Yeah, cumanic being turkic is a good point. I am more wary about the mongols, but considering chagatai became such a prominent language in the region I think Turkish is possible for them too. There are some names in the secret history, but only a couple.

My philosophy regarding this mod was that languages should represent the common people, not rulers.
    So the Seljuks use Persian. English uses Middle English, not French/Anglo-Norman

Intially, I wanted Rum to also use persian then switch to OAE and Ottoman, but I just don't see the point considering I only have a few Persian names.

Despite what may be said in modern times, even the Ottomans continued writing in Persian up until the 1600's if I am correct.
    Last edited by Cephalophore; April 01, 2021 at 05:46 AM.

In that case, people in Anatolia talked Turkish, right?

So the Seljuk Empire should stick with Persian, but Rum Seljuks should speak Turkish. The Ottomans spoke Persian only in court and in official documents

Yes, they spoke Vulgar Turkish, but in 1132 (when campaign starts) Greek and Persian still would've been common, but I don't think it is too much of a problem to just use Turkish only in this case.

I will add the names to Cumans as well. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast