Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timbuktu and Jedda

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Default Timbuktu and Jedda

Firstly,

I was playing as Egypt, and I had spies from Venice to Baghdad, and even into the empty southern Arabian peninsula. I saw the Jedda region name when I right clicked on my mouse over the area, but no settlement. I had Damascus, Aleppo, and everything up to Baghdad, but Jedda just wasn't there! So, does it even exist as a city, or is it just an autonomous, empty region added for geographic measures.

If you know where Saudi Arabia is, on the map, its that big plut of land between Africa and the Middle East, its easily visible on the southern part of the map -- is there anything in that area? I think Mecca should be in the game...its like the Vatican of the Muslim world!

SECONDLY,

I'm playing as the Moors now, and I know that geographically Timbuktu is directly South of the area between Marrakesh and Algeirs, but is it discovered later in the game, because I'm at turn 26, so should I send some troops to go and capture it?

...thanks for the time!

chgo's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Timbuktu and Jedda

Jedda is in game as a city and you will only be able to conquer timbuktu after the world is round event, you can't send troops there yet
    Peace at home, peace in the world - Atatürk

Jedda is in the game i was exploring with an army for awhile to find it, i ended up using toggle_fow to make sure i was not wasting my time, it was a castle when i found it with a full stack of rebels.

As for Timbuktu i see lots of people talking about it i have not explored over moors lands because they are allied to me the way my Egypt campaigns going i dont need another enemy, I would not know where to find it but if its there why not capture it? lol

As for mecca i thought that was in game or was modded into it if im not mistaken.

Genghis Mighty Mongolian Warlord.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Broly View Post
    Jedda is in the game i was exploring with an army for awhile to find it, i ended up using toggle_fow to make sure i was not wasting my time, it was a castle when i found it with a full stack of rebels.
    Can you tell me EXACTLY where. Can you post a map or something and pin-point it. I send tons of my Egyptian spies up and down the area. I know its just southeast of Damascus.

hope that helps

Genghis Mighty Mongolian Warlord.

You can get to timbukto before world is round, its just thats there only one line through the desert that it lets u march on. Same for arguin on the coast, can only go there by going to timbukto and tiptoeing along the bottom of the map up to it.

The line into Timbukto is near marakesh, there is an opening in the mountains east of the city and another directly south of the city iirc. My spanish troops are halfway there now!

Timbuktu

Start with an army near Marrakesh. Highlight the army. Move your map view all the way south to the edge of the map and look for a lake south of Granada. Have your army march to the edge of that lake. The path will automatically be chosen, and it'll be obvious after that.

Jeddah

Broly has been kind enough to provide a map, so there shouldn't be any problems here. Admittedly, I had problems finding Jeddah, mostly because I never bother to find out the name of the region, I just look for cities with spies. I never found it that way, but later on I realized the name of the province I was looking for was 'Jeddah,' and like a good Muslim I went, "OH! NOW I KNOW, LOL!"

wots so amazing aobut jeddah and timbuktu anyway?
    "...and all the men and women merely players."

Timbuktu has some gold and slaves.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

I don't know, I think they're just odd.

I'm not sure you have to wait until 'The World is Round' event to conquer Timbuktu. I conquered Timbuktu in order to win my Spanish Short Campaign and I never got that event.

Odd. O_o
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Tajir's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    Timbuktu

Start with an army near Marrakesh. Highlight the army. Move your map view all the way south to the edge of the map and look for a lake south of Granada. Have your army march to the edge of that lake. The path will automatically be chosen, and it'll be obvious after that.

Jeddah

Broly has been kind enough to provide a map, so there shouldn't be any problems here. Admittedly, I had problems finding Jeddah, mostly because I never bother to find out the name of the region, I just look for cities with spies. I never found it that way, but later on I realized the name of the province I was looking for was 'Jeddah,' and like a good Muslim I went, "OH! NOW I KNOW, LOL!"
    My own stupidity left me looking at the northernmost tip of the modern Saudi Arabian nation for Jedda; instead its a bit southward, and to the coastal area. I got so frustrated that I even looked near Damascus!

well that's weird... i think i sent a spy down to timbuktu. u cant walk through the darkness, but if u walk next to it, it will clear it up, making it possible to capture timbuktu. in fact i think i captured it in teh 12th century!

I think I'll try this out....
    But it makes no sense that people could not find Timbuktu BEFORE the World was thought to be round. Like it's obvious when it comes to the Aztecs becuase if the World is flat u might fall off! But Timbuktu is on dry land and is a part of the mainland...

I don't see the point of capturing timbuktu I did it once but it never got me a big economic boost

Quote Originally Posted by Ippius View Post
    I think I'll try this out....
    But it makes no sense that people could not find Timbuktu BEFORE the World was thought to be round. Like it's obvious when it comes to the Aztecs becuase if the World is flat u might fall off! But Timbuktu is on dry land and is a part of the mainland...
    This may be a little off-topic but people in the middle ages bever believed the world was flat. Since the first century A.D. it was common knowledge the world was round, although the exact size was a subject of debate.

Timbuktu and Alguin is something of El Dorado of merchants.

There are ivory and gold deposits down there (the slaves dont worth that much, but still 4-500 for a beginner merchant). A good merchant will generate about 2-3 k from every good site there (there are 5 or 6) . And they will get good in a few turns. Dont forget to build mines.
    The other good thing about the site is that it is far from anything (and only 1 access road)- at least until the round event, but until then youll have developed the cities anyway. And i was never bothered by anyone(not even the moors , playing as portugal).

haha...
    the year is 1157 I am playing as Russians on the Long Road Mod..(awesome mod

I sent 2 lowly 16 year old family members just came of age together.. by them selves they bought a merc cog and sallied to africa..
    they landed in Africa at the mere age of 28. i sent them deep into the sahara.. Timbuktu was in the distance... 9 stack of moors with their Prince inside.. general with 4 or 5 stack army of archers close by..
    i quickly hired 6 sudanese tribesman mercenaries and laid seige to Timbuktu.
    5 years later.. one of my family members died in a earthquake... yet I have russian merchants trading in gold/ivory and slaves and the city is making heaps of money for me..

The Long Road Mod diplomacy is right on....
    I took Timbuktu next turn( moors allies, turks and egyptians both declared war on me) my french and polish allies then declared war on them.
    so haven't seen any egyptians yet... but there is a jihad on Sarkel at the moment and I have 2 spearman 1 archer in the city with my 8 star 8 dread prince sitting outside the city with 10 units of Kazak veterans and 8 units of Militia cav.. 2 turk jihad armies 1 turn away 20 stack's each should be fun.

Timbuktu is very well known for being very wealthy

www.destroyers-clan.com
    www.destroyers-forum.com
    Proud member of the tw clan Destroyers

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Timbuktu is the engine that drives your war machine, after conquering timbuktu early on (as soona s I had a port in Florence, I sent a general and some merchant cavalry to timbuktu by landing on moorish territory (they weren't happy to see me trespass, but they didn't start a war)

after taking timbuktu I quickly built a grain exchange and started building merchants, and afte that my empire is never low on money, I had about 4 full stack armies of Imperial knights with archers and dismounted imperial and feudal knights, most my cities have huge garrisons, building was getting harder as buildings got verry expensive, but then I found out here on TWC about the "merchant fort" trick I don't regard that as an exploit, I regard it as a "trading colony" meaning I now have 20 merchants working on the first timbuktu goldmine and 1 on the second one, as soon as I have some new cities the one in the second fort won't be alone annymore, with that little trick money is no problem

Quote Originally Posted by chgo View Post
    Jedda is in game as a city and you will only be able to conquer timbuktu after the world is round event, you can't send troops there yet
    lol, the moors captured it at turn 15, when I was playing as Sicily. I had it under my eye, because I swarmed it with merchants, not getting any profit...
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast