Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP ver. 0.98 - April 25th, 2024 - DOWNLOAD HERE

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 ver. September 8th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SkarinV View Post
    i took sision with after the rebels sallied out to fight me, maybe that did something.
    btw does halab or damasscus change names also?
    maybe it shouldn't work then? again, I don't know.
    monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Sis

log --- Sis AFTER CAPTURE NAME CHANGE -----------------------------------------------------------

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_orthodox == 1

change_settlement_name Sis Sis ; Armenian: Sison

if I_EventCounter is_the_player == 1
    and I_CompareCounter current_name_Sis > 0
    historic_event SETTLEMENT_NAME_CHANGE
    end_if

set_counter current_name_Sis 0

end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_catholic == 1

change_settlement_name Sis SisLatin ; Latin: Sis

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Sis < 1
    end_if

and I_CompareCounter current_name_Sis > 1
    historic_event SETTLEMENT_NAME_CHANGE_MOVE
    end_if

set_counter current_name_Sis 1

end_if
    Halab and Damascus are not coded to change the name.

Do you know when we could see a late era campaign introduced? Additionally, would it be set around 1200AD or 1300AD?

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

So far I've played this mod with three different factions (each a few times). I hope that I will have time to try the others, but these are the most interesting for now. These are Sicily, Georgia and Lithuania.

I will write a very short review about them and the mod in general, what I will say are purely my observations.

Sicily is a very interesting faction to me, mostly because of the constant need to use ships. What impressed me the most was getting random virtues from the so-called pirates. I don't just mean ships here, pirates can give you random virtues for spies and generals as well (maybe assassins too, but I'm not sure). The initial two ships with which Sicily starts already have some experience. I think this causes problems when merging ships. Actually, what I'm trying to say is this, the only way I've come across to merge ships is to park the original ships (not necessarily just the two you start with) in the harbor move before you build the second ones. If there is a way to change it in the files, please let me know how.
    You start playing Sicily with 3 generals. As far as my memory serves, all 3 are military oriented. The two younger generals are the sons of the faction leader allowing you to play with a pure bloodline if you prefer so. For the record, I personally play with modified files. Four moves per year, since I prefer role play. When editing those files, I tried to change every script that is related to the number of turn when it is activated in order to maintain historical realism.
    In addition to changing the files related to the scripts, I also changed the number of turns needed to build things. I also removed the Merchant Wharf line of buildings and changed the buildings that had it before as prerequisite. I did this because I understood in a conversation with the JOC this summer that the same will be done with the next version of SSHIP, since the Merchant Wharf line of buildings has a bug. The only question I have is whether I should add the number of turns needed to build the Merchant Wharf line of buildings to the basic Port line?
    Sicily was a very interesting campaign. After conquering all of Italy, I would often come into conflict with the Moors. I don't know why, but the Moors didn't try to make sea invasions, they would mostly attack me via Tunis which I owned. To be fair, in several campaigns a naval invasion of Cagliari was carried out with a full stack. This is very unclear to me since I could easily leave Palermo empty except for 4 Urban Spear Militia which are free to keep order and focus exclusively on defending the aforementioned Tunis and Cagliari.So and so, Tunis requires the keeping of a large number of units in order to maintain order. Speaking of order, I think it's worth mentioning that I never once experienced a rebellion from Pisa after I conquered them, but I would also regularly experience rebellion within five turns of conquering Venice. Certainly, I tried to avoid open conflict with both Pisa and Venice, but rather kill their family members through assassins. If there is a war due to the capture of the assassin, I would only fight defensive wars until those factions are excommunicated.
    I have a question about assassins. Does using them and spies debase my reputation or does it only debase when they are caught? I had test campaigns in which I didn't use them, but I again noticed that within ten to fifteen rounds my reputation would definitely be lowered to the lowest possible level. Which brings me to diplomacy.
    Diplomacy as such is also wrong with the base version of M2TW but in this mode it is totally destroyed. After the initial trade rights, expect them to be limited to your payment to other factions for the purpose of improving relations. Being a generally enthusiastic mod, I would also like someone to point me to the files I would need to modify to "fix" the scripts. To be honest, in one of the first notifications, the creators of this mod tell you that the purpose of the mod is to be very difficult, and they list certain things through which this is achieved, and diplomacy is mentioned among them. Although I stand by the aforementioned as I would like to change it, as well as the already mentioned things I changed, in order to improve my own experience of this mod. Of course for my own needs, not for the purpose of publication.
    I also noticed one more thing. The factions controlled by the AI ​​are poor, or rather bankrupt, from the first turn to the last of the campaigns. Does anyone know of a better script than the existing one that I can implement for myself?
    Either way, Sicily remains my favorite faction in this mod.

Since I'm short on time, I'll just write a two-sentence review of the bugs I've noticed related to Georgia. I hope that in the near future I will write a more complete review related to the gameplay for Georgia and Lithuania.
    Ministerial Offices do not exist for Georgia. Heavy Cavalry but also Missile/Skrimisher Cavalry when they run out of ammunition are not able to have prolonged fight hand to hand (melee) but only charge (and not because of the ratings, I think it's about the animation). Strangely, I did not encounter such a bug with Sicily or Lithuania.

All in all, I'm glad that work on the mod is still active. I am of the opinion that the creators are going in the right direction. My overall rating 4.5/5.

so i think the problem with the name not changing for Sision is because i took it on the rebels turn using a forced sally by them.
    if i siege it and conquer it normaly i do get the pop up that tells me the name changed.
    and btw the pop up doesn't show up on some other cities and castles, for example ascalon, name changes but no pop up.
    dumyat is another city that i took normaly but never got the name changed, i don't know why.

so i think the problem with the name not changing for Sision is because i took it on the rebels turn using a forced sally by them.
    if i siege it and conquer it normaly i do get the pop up that tells me the name changed.
    and btw the pop up doesn't show up on some other cities and castles, for example ascalon, name changes but no pop up.
    dumyat is another city that i took normaly but never got the name changed, i don't know why.
    no change-of-name coded for Damietta yet

Ascalon - strange, it's coded with a pop-up:
    monitor_event GeneralCaptureSettlement SettlementName Ascalon
    log --- Ascalon AFTER CAPTURE NAME CHANGE -----------------------------------------------------------
    if I_EventCounter faction_turn_orthodox == 1
    change_settlement_name Ascalon Ascalon ; Byzantines used Latin maybe
    and I_CompareCounter current_name_Ascalon > 0
    end_if
    set_counter current_name_Ascalon 0
    end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_catholic == 1
    change_settlement_name Ascalon Ascalon ; Latin
    and I_CompareCounter current_name_Ascalon > 0
    end_if
    set_counter current_name_Ascalon 0
    end_if

if I_EventCounter faction_turn_islam == 1
    change_settlement_name Ascalon Asqalan ; Muslims
    and I_CompareCounter current_name_Ascalon < 1
    end_if
    set_counter current_name_Ascalon 1
    end_if

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CIvIIIFan View Post
    So far I've played this mod with three different factions (each a few times). I hope that I will have time to try the others, but these are the most interesting for now. These are Sicily, Georgia and Lithuania.

I will write a very short review about them and the mod in general, what I will say are purely my observations.

Sicily is a very interesting faction to me, mostly because of the constant need to use ships. What impressed me the most was getting random virtues from the so-called pirates. I don't just mean ships here, pirates can give you random virtues for spies and generals as well (maybe assassins too, but I'm not sure). The initial two ships with which Sicily starts already have some experience. I think this causes problems when merging ships. Actually, what I'm trying to say is this, the only way I've come across to merge ships is to park the original ships (not necessarily just the two you start with) in the harbor move before you build the second ones. If there is a way to change it in the files, please let me know how.
    You start playing Sicily with 3 generals. As far as my memory serves, all 3 are military oriented. The two younger generals are the sons of the faction leader allowing you to play with a pure bloodline if you prefer so. For the record, I personally play with modified files. Four moves per year, since I prefer role play. When editing those files, I tried to change every script that is related to the number of turn when it is activated in order to maintain historical realism.
    In addition to changing the files related to the scripts, I also changed the number of turns needed to build things. I also removed the Merchant Wharf line of buildings and changed the buildings that had it before as prerequisite. I did this because I understood in a conversation with the JOC this summer that the same will be done with the next version of SSHIP, since the Merchant Wharf line of buildings has a bug. The only question I have is whether I should add the number of turns needed to build the Merchant Wharf line of buildings to the basic Port line?
    Sicily was a very interesting campaign. After conquering all of Italy, I would often come into conflict with the Moors. I don't know why, but the Moors didn't try to make sea invasions, they would mostly attack me via Tunis which I owned. To be fair, in several campaigns a naval invasion of Cagliari was carried out with a full stack. This is very unclear to me since I could easily leave Palermo empty except for 4 Urban Spear Militia which are free to keep order and focus exclusively on defending the aforementioned Tunis and Cagliari.So and so, Tunis requires the keeping of a large number of units in order to maintain order. Speaking of order, I think it's worth mentioning that I never once experienced a rebellion from Pisa after I conquered them, but I would also regularly experience rebellion within five turns of conquering Venice. Certainly, I tried to avoid open conflict with both Pisa and Venice, but rather kill their family members through assassins. If there is a war due to the capture of the assassin, I would only fight defensive wars until those factions are excommunicated.
    I have a question about assassins. Does using them and spies debase my reputation or does it only debase when they are caught? I had test campaigns in which I didn't use them, but I again noticed that within ten to fifteen rounds my reputation would definitely be lowered to the lowest possible level. Which brings me to diplomacy.
    Diplomacy as such is also wrong with the base version of M2TW but in this mode it is totally destroyed. After the initial trade rights, expect them to be limited to your payment to other factions for the purpose of improving relations. Being a generally enthusiastic mod, I would also like someone to point me to the files I would need to modify to "fix" the scripts. To be honest, in one of the first notifications, the creators of this mod tell you that the purpose of the mod is to be very difficult, and they list certain things through which this is achieved, and diplomacy is mentioned among them. Although I stand by the aforementioned as I would like to change it, as well as the already mentioned things I changed, in order to improve my own experience of this mod. Of course for my own needs, not for the purpose of publication.
    I also noticed one more thing. The factions controlled by the AI ​​are poor, or rather bankrupt, from the first turn to the last of the campaigns. Does anyone know of a better script than the existing one that I can implement for myself?
    Either way, Sicily remains my favorite faction in this mod.

Since I'm short on time, I'll just write a two-sentence review of the bugs I've noticed related to Georgia. I hope that in the near future I will write a more complete review related to the gameplay for Georgia and Lithuania.
    Ministerial Offices do not exist for Georgia. Heavy Cavalry but also Missile/Skrimisher Cavalry when they run out of ammunition are not able to have prolonged fight hand to hand (melee) but only charge (and not because of the ratings, I think it's about the animation). Strangely, I did not encounter such a bug with Sicily or Lithuania.

All in all, I'm glad that work on the mod is still active. I am of the opinion that the creators are going in the right direction. My overall rating 4.5/5.
    ships - yes, it's how you've described it, we need to re-coded the initial traits of the admirals. One need to change export_descr_character_traits.txt. Look at this part ";===== ADMIRAL triggers"

changing the TPY from 2 to 4 is not so straightforward, you may expect the mod to behave weirdly.

Merchant Wharf - the number of fleets capability is bugged, but the current coding doesn't consist this capability. But you may remove it, no problem if you do it in all files. You don't need to add the number of turns.

Spies, diplomacy - it's @Macaras business.

Ministerial Offices in Georgia - I see no reason for it. The orthodox have their own offices, similar to the Latin / Muslim ones. I'd also think that the players playing orthodox factions got these offices.

Upload saves from all you campaigns, pls!
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 23, 2022 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks for the information.

I'd love to play some Byzantines with the introduction of gunpowder, surrounded by Ottomans in a late period.

Diplomacy as such is also wrong with the base version of M2TW but in this mode it is totally destroyed. After the initial trade rights, expect them to be limited to your payment to other factions for the purpose of improving relations.
    CivIIIFan - Can you explain what is the problem with diplomacy and also another question - which version exactly are you using? I am asking because with my modifications you should experience the contrary - you cannot pay for good relations. In general money will have much less impact in diplomacy, for alliances, peace, improving relations etc. If people complained in the past it was rather for the opposite than you- too dificult and too aggressive AI. Regarding spies and assassins I didn't change anything, but if I am not wrong - using the assassins (successfull or not) will have impact on your king (much more dread), little impact on your reputation (unless of course you cause war by killing somebody - this will damage your reputation a lot)

Laetus

Is this version of SSHIP compatible with Crimson Tide which adds snow, dirt effects and more blood?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWinter View Post
    Is this version of SSHIP compatible with Crimson Tide which adds snow, dirt effects and more blood?
    no idea. never used it.

i noticed something weird with rebels settlements, some new units from the landowners building started to show up, the garrisons are not the same as the start of the game.
    can they somehow recruit new units?
    also in the zingid campaign the heir doesn't have the "Heir Apparent" trait, but his brother does, is this intentional?

i noticed something weird with rebels settlements, some new units from the landowners building started to show up, the garrisons are not the same as the start of the game.
    can they somehow recruit new units?
    also in the zingid campaign the heir doesn't have the "Heir Apparent" trait, but his brother does, is this intentional?
    Rebel settlements: the faction cannot recruit knigh units from the landowners buildings.
    The garrisons may be different, but would be supplemented by other units, not the knights.
    Zingid - thanks, will be fixed, but frankly speaking I don't know what's historical.

that's right. I've got no idea how it's possible, I've screened the landowners building and it's not coded there...

i have a question, is the AI supposed to be a bit more passive in this version? for the last 20, all the fatimids did was station a full stack near my border and that’s it.
    is it cuz am playing on normal campaign, they seem like their AI just broke down and is just sleeping.
    the stack they have is full of elites and landowners units, so it’s not like their weak, and all i took from them was ascalon.

Hello everybody. Shortly before the advance of the new January-Version I would like to give feedback to my campaign with the Republic of Nowgorod, which now arrived in the year of 1307, turn 351. I played on h/h with the actual version 0.98 and no modifications.

First of all, the fact that I proceeded this far shows, that the gameplay was always thrilling and revardig for me. Throughout the many hours of gameplay I never got bored. The richness of features and the constant feeling, that though my empire was growing slowly I never really was safe, was a great motivation to move on and in my experience this is quite seldom for a total war mod. So in general I think, that this mod is pure gold. So, congratulations and many thanks for your work so far!

Campaign History: In early game I had constant trouble with Lithuania and the Kievan Rus, with short periods of peace in between. This was especially exciting, when both enemies attacked at the same time, and you had to choose your steps carefully. First mayor success was the conquest of Kiev, Chernigov and Pereslawyl in a small window of opportunity, which broke the neck of the Rus, who are now still dwelling in the far east. With Lithuania I was in a defensive position for a long time, until another window of opportunity allowed my to conquer their capital and everything north of it, reducing them to Twangste, which later fell to the HRE in a crusade. All in all that kept me very busy in the early game. Attacks of the enemies, especially the Lithuanians, were often well organized, with big armies attacking three of my bordering cities at the same time with the danger of doom, when you lose. That was really great. Later I had constant trouble with the Qipchuks and then of course, after a long period of suspense, with the mongols.

Diplomacy/Reputation: I like the diplomacy system very much, especially the feature, that you earn reputation by treating captured cities and enemy-soldiers in a kind way. So, you only take hostages or pillage conquered cities, when you have no other choice (which sometimes is the case) and build up your reputation by being kind in better times, which makes it a lot easier to trade alliances. A long lasting alliance with Hungary was very rewarding in the game both for the Nowgorod and the Hungarians, who became a real superpower in this game, building an empire from Moldavia to the Baltic Sea.

Civil wars/Uprisings: I survived three civil wars and one Lithuan uprising. Because I did not take care of the kings bloodline I often got Usurper Kings of doubtful heritage and skill. The civil wars though never lasted long and never got me on the false foot, so they were quite easy to handle. What I liked, was the difficulty, to hold peace in former Lithuanian Cities. So, the sudden death of a good Governour in his 50ies can course a real serious crisis for the whole empire, if you have no one to replace him properly.

Familiy members/Coronation: As I said I did not care about the bloodline, so I had constant trouble with the quality of my Kings. Also, there were times, when many children were born and then a whole new generation could take over and there were times, when there was a real lack of new family members for a long period, so you have a big empire with governors from 40 to 70, a senile king and no replacement in sight, so you are afraid of the future. I am okay with that too. In never got my king crowned though. Right now, I seem to fulfill all conditions, but maybe my king, who first was a regent, then an ursurper and then got accepted and is now quite old but “fit for the crown” has issues in his past. Who knows? My question here is: Is it necessary to conquer all regions shown in the faction window or only the central ones represented in darker color?

Mongols/Balance: I think the Mongols are an issue difficult to balance in the game. For historical realism they should be overpowered, but I think they are a little bit over-overpowered in 0.98. But I am not really sure. As Novgorod it went like that: First they were a relief, because they attacked the Qipchuks and all of the qipchuk armies that constantly attacked me in Kiew all of a sudden headed eastwards, so I knew: now it starts. They destroyed the Qipchuks then quickly and bordered with me. They did not attack but made trade arrangements. So the long time of suspense began. I developed three big armies in Kiew and surrounding, the Mongols destroyed Gerorgia within two turns and destroyed the Abbasides too. Then they destroyed the Crusader State. Catholic Christianity tried to fight back with two or three crusades, but only with about three factions participating, maybe because of the lack of priests, which will be dealt with in the next version. The crusaders were smashed by the Mongols and then they went against the Selchucks and the Eastern Roman Empirie, which was one of the worlds superpowers at this time. Meanwhile they attacked me. As I had time to prepare, I managed to hold them back with constant heavy losses, but they went through Minor Asia like butter, conquered Constanitople and invaded the Balcans. Moldavia became a place of horror, invaded by the Mongols, Hungaria, the Eastern Romans and me, who was quickly pushed back. Of course the Mongols won. I then managed to make peace with the Mongols to have a little break but because of that they attacked Hungaria and quickly threw it out of the Balcans. Now, in 1307, they own nearly 60 regions, are successfully invading Hungaria and I will have to declare war on them just to save my long time ally by taking a part of their military power against me. But I don’t know if that would stop them. They are so overpowered and the KI-Factions seem to have no chance against them. This is an issue for the late game, which is quite hard to deal with I believe.

Historically the Mongol Empire would split into 4 realms fighting each other. It would be a dream, if that would be possible to represent in the game. But I doubt it, and so maybe it would be a solution to give the Mongols a harder time to ensure public order in their empire, so that they would be weakened by civil wars in the late games and other factions and the player have a chance to push them back. Also, maybe to make the other factions more hostile, so that the mongols could not take one after the other, as they do it now. As it is now, they destroy faction after faction and then the map lacks of diversity in 1307. (There were a few rebellions against them, but they always quickly dealt with them)

But nevertheless: A real great experience! I am looking forward to the new version! When it is out, I will try a campaign with Poland to build the Polish-Lithuan Union.

Here is the save-file of my campaign:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/9m9c0...-1307.sav/file

Best regards, QKuhlmann

https://www.mediafire.com/view/hjueh...29_25.png/file
    Last edited by QKuhlmann; December 28, 2022 at 08:35 AM.

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

taking a look at Qkuhlman's gameplay I report several bugs, such as the "Scandinavian Guard" unit has no presentation image and cannot be recruited even though it is already available in the militia barracks...
    Also Mongolian captains on the campaign map appear with the Islamic model (captains with Muslim or oriental models, not steppe or Mongolian model)
    here is the savegame link left by the fellow.

THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Hey guys, I just wanted to say I've been playing the heck out of this game lately i'm over 400 turns in and I've probably had only one or two CTDs the entire campaign. A few things I noticed that may have been brought up already are.

1.) Mongols are way too strong, either they need higher unrest in their territories or their aggression nerfed because i've had to spend the last 200 turns calling crusades on them to try and keep them from literally conquering everything on the map.
    2.) There is no Provincial title for Valladolid
    3.) Favor with the pope is constantly on the decline even though I attend every crusade, build cathedrals and run the electoral college.

I would upload a save if i knew how lol

Thanks for taking the time to give us this very detailed feedback, it is very useful for us!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

i have a question, is the AI supposed to be a bit more passive in this version? for the last 20, all the fatimids did was station a full stack near my border and that’s it.
    is it cuz am playing on normal campaign, they seem like their AI just broke down and is just sleeping.
    the stack they have is full of elites and landowners units, so it’s not like their weak, and all i took from them was ascalon.
    afaik, it's not the case, @macaras has made it more active and aggressive. But situation as one described may happen, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Konstantinos XII Rhomaios View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted to say I've been playing the heck out of this game lately i'm over 400 turns in and I've probably had only one or two CTDs the entire campaign. A few things I noticed that may have been brought up already are.

1.) Mongols are way too strong, either they need higher unrest in their territories or their aggression nerfed because i've had to spend the last 200 turns calling crusades on them to try and keep them from literally conquering everything on the map.
    2.) There is no Provincial title for Valladolid
    3.) Favor with the pope is constantly on the decline even though I attend every crusade, build cathedrals and run the electoral college.
    I would upload a save if i knew how lol
    good news!
    1 - yeah, this is very pressing now, I know. I'll try to deal with it.
    2 - fixed in the next version
    3 - I haven't dealt with this section of the Med2 engine, I'm affraid. No experience.

I'm using mega.nz for uploads, some are using googledrive, but maybe somebody would put here some hints for @Konstantinos?