Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP ver. 0.98 - April 25th, 2024 - DOWNLOAD HERE

Default Re: NEW VERSION - August 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Berk View Post
    Can "hardcode limit" be exceeded with "chatgpt"? Maybe there is a way to break this limit? If I was a modder like you, I would try to remove this limit with "chatgpt".

@Jurand of Cracow
    Chatpgt can't do that, such an in-depth manipulation of an already existing program is far beyond his capabilities.

EOP has not yet lifted the faction cap, and AFAIK it is not planed to do so in the near future.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Portugal is for sure the most difficult faction and you are the first to test whether it's possible at all to play it
    Could play 4 turns today.
    First, I (800 mens) could defeat the Moors (1200 mens) at the 3rd battle of Lisboa. I had to sacrifice several units to buffer the main enemy army while my general and a cavalry unit joined the reinforcement.
    Luckily, the enemy general was bold enough to try to catch mine, and was finally captured. It turned the battle to my favor, until a costly decisive victory. Ransom was very big (11000+ coins) but they all were punished !

Then, the Pope loved me strongly enough to accept the crusade towards Sevilla.
    I gathered holy mercenaries and start to march... but Castille backstabbed me (I was expected it a while ago, armies were turning around). But I keep going Sevilla, besieged and won the Crusade.
    In same time, with the remaining men both Lisboa and north city, we kicked away Castille. He then asked for peace, which I gladly accept with trade rights.

In 4 turns, the situation has improved but still is unstable, as Moors are not yet defeated and Castille is keeping an army near my city.
    I can't move my king's army from Seville due to public order, so I need to stay there a while, which makes me worry for other territories !
    Last edited by MikeFriks; August 13, 2023 at 01:58 AM.

Just started august 10th version with Serbia, I think it's great that you decided to switch Nis to Belgrade. I noticed one thing though, in battle clicking on any unit will not highlight them. Same the button to highlight both your and enemy units isn't working. The "invite Saxons" event also triggered a couple of times.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: NEW VERSION - August 10th - DOWNLOAD

Maybe it would be appropriate to put the download link for the August version in the first post of the thread.
    Or at least report in the 1st post that the download link is in the 3rd post

Download in progress for me

Play as Abbasid. I play in hard and so far it seems great after digesting all the information. But i have two question.

First are Abna heavy spearman. You start with 4 of them but you cannot recruit them at least at the start of the game and in the starting settlement.

Second upgrading Nobility province are wacked. You get max : 3 in lv2 but it's actualy decrease back to max: 2 in lv 3 and lv 4. Considering the description you can recruit the most in the highest tier i don't think this is intended

Edit : Also Abbasid cannot recruit Arab infantry for some reason
    Last edited by eyelurker; August 14, 2023 at 05:30 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by eyelurker View Post
    Play as Abbasid. I play in hard and so far it seems great after digesting all the information. But i have two question.

First are Abna heavy spearman. You start with 4 of them but you cannot recruit them at least at the start of the game and in the starting settlement.

Second upgrading Nobility province are wacked. You get max : 3 in lv2 but it's actualy decrease back to max: 2 in lv 3 and lv 4. Considering the description you can recruit the most in the highest tier i don't think this is intended

Edit : Also Abbasid cannot recruit Arab infantry for some reason
    Abna should be available only later, in 13c. They should not be available at the beginning. Thanks for hinting at.

Arab infantry - I see they're recruitable in the cities:
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Arab Cavalry" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { egypt, moors, zengid, abbasid, } and not event_counter BATTLE_HATTIN 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Arab Cavalry" 1 0.06 2 0 requires factions { egypt, moors, zengid, abbasid, } and event_counter BATTLE_HATTIN 1 and not event_counter ISLAM_BARID 1
    recruit_pool "Dismounted Arab Cavalry" 1 0.08 2 0 requires factions { egypt, moors, zengid, abbasid, } and event_counter ISLAM_BARID 1 and not event_counter KANKAN_MUSA 1
    Landowners: thanks, well-spotted, it'll be fixed for the next release.

Abna should be available only later, in 13c. They should not be available at the beginning. Thanks for hinting at.

Arab infantry - I see they're recruitable in the cities:

Landowners: thanks, well-spotted, it'll be fixed for the next release.
    The Arab infantry are available in the building tab but it's not available in recruitment pool. Checking the unit from the building give me a generic RTW peasant model potrait

The Arab infantry are available in the building tab but it's not available in recruitment pool. Checking the unit from the building give me a generic RTW peasant model potrait
    oh, yes, that's true, Abbasid do not have access to... strange. @kostic will hopefully fix it for the next release. Again, thanks for the hint.

Code:
    type             Dismounted Arab Cavalry
    dictionary       Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry      ; Arab Infantry : feudal levy, factional
    category         infantry
    class            spearmen
    voice_type       Light
    banner faction   main_spear
    banner holy      crusade
    soldier          Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry, 60, 0, 0.95, 0.30
    officer         Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry_ug2
    officer          eastern_captain_early_flag
    officer          eastern_captain_early_flag
    mount_effect     horse +2, camel +2
    attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw
    formation        1.0, 0, 2.0, 2.0, 5, square, shield_wall
    stat_health      1, 1
    stat_pri         3, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 60, 1
    stat_pri_attr    light_spear
    stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    stat_pri_armour  5, 3, 5, metal  
    stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat        1
    stat_ground      0, 1, 1, -2 
    stat_mental      7, normal, trained
    stat_charge_dist 6
    stat_fire_delay  0
    stat_food        60, 300
    stat_cost        2, 1417, 533, 75, 533, 533, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 2, 6, 10
    armour_ug_models Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry, Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry_ug1, Dismounted_Arab_Cavalry_ug2
    ownership        moors, egypt, zengid, slave
    era 0            moors, egypt, zengid
    era 1            moors, egypt, zengid
    era 2            moors, egypt, zengid
    recruit_priority_offset    0; before was:    25
    ;234
    and here I see that also for the other factions this is the case... I don't know how it could have happened...
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 14, 2023 at 08:17 AM.

I have not tested the August version yet. But I can give some thoughts about the Rum campaign VH experience in June version and what I see in the changelog:

1) There is really no reason to call the Rum Seljuk dynasty the Arslan dynasty. Arslan just means lion in Turkish and Arabic. Alp Arslan was a title like Lionheart given to the famous Seljuk emperor. Similarly, there is no reason for all the Persian Seljuks to be called Melikshah. I don't know if this is a game engine thing, but really it would make more sense if both these dynasties were only called Seljuk or a stylized Saljuqiyan or whatever. I am talking about the "surnames" of royal family members here.

Oh and also it seems that the faction icon for Rum is an Ottoman tughra. A double headed eagle would be more suited, with different colors to differentiate from Persia Seljuks.

2) The game puts you in a weird spot where after the conquest of a major city; it is impossible to maintain public order unless you sack it, even if u max out the garrison. Personally I think that if the entire army is stationed somewhere and is not moving for many turns, that should be enough to pacify the place. It is not fun occupying a settlement with a full army (and therefore having the full army stalled in a war) and then taking damage to that army and even possibly getting a family member killed just because the populace still decided to revolt.

I guess this would be fine if sacking wasn't tied to your reputation so heavily. Personally, I would reduce the diplomatic penalty for sacking cities. You can add some scripts like sacking Constantinople reduces relations with Christians and Baghdad with Muslims etc if you want but sacking in general shouldn't be so punishing. If a city fell, it is rare that the troops peacefully occupied the place. In fact, that would probably cause them to turn on their commander. Why waste months of your life in stress besieging a city and putting your life on the line if there is no loot? Plus it's kind of a fun feature of Med 2 that you can sack places and to make it so punishing effectivelly makes it a non option.

3) For the Rum; the amount of heavily armored troops the Crusader states can muster is insane. They keep coming from the south and it is tough to keep them at bay. Your archers don't do enough damage because of all the armor, and you can't even take advantage of your mobility that well because they always have multiple heavy and light cavalry. To be honest, i do think it is possible to keep them at bay, I just don't like the sheer amount of knights and such they can recruit. It really doesn't make much sense to me. The Rum can get a few heavy infanty every 20 turns and each have 100 people in the unit. These have to be reserved for taking walls really. It would be a waste to use them in field battles. I would like it if these units were 150 people tbh because they take forever to recruit. At least some mid tier infantryman for the Rum would be nice as opposed either complete trash or elite but small number.

4) It is so tempting to just rush Constantinople because the Byzos just don't wanna defend it. I still played with house rule like taking 5 settlements in Europe before attacking Constantinople. But during this whole time the city was basically empty. I would put some sort of script that says you need to envelop Constantinople before sieging it (Take Adrianople, Thessaloniki, Tarnovgrad for example). And then when you actually do siege the city a big garrison should spawn in it. This would make the player have to settle his affairs elsewhere to get ready for a big siege of Constantinople just like the Ottomans.

5) Lastly, I am fond of the messages that explain mechanics but after turn 20 I find them unwelcome. All these messages should be displayed and over with after a certain point. In addition, I don't like the tone of some messages. I don't know how to describe it but basically stuff that interjects the developer in the game. Such as "sorry, you chose the attacking only with generals script, it was your decision".

All in all, fantastic mod. Of course I wouldn't want you to think I don't like it. These are just some suggestions. I also really like the buildings that decide your attitude towards the city such as gallows. (PS. gallows are basically a must if you intend to not sack somewhere).
    Last edited by dnzunlu; August 14, 2023 at 08:46 AM.

Hello I have several question about uprising and invasion, I play almost exclusively as Roman Empire. I love the mod very much for medieval roleplaying.

How does the Catalan invasion work? Does the Bulgarian uprising work again?

And if its not asking too much I would like to know about how the coming Vlach uprising work and which year will it spawn?

Also in the last build it seems that ai Portugal get a spawn on turn 2 to siege badajoz?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by dnzunlu View Post
    I have not tested the August version yet. But I can give some thoughts about the Rum campaign VH experience in June version and what I see in the changelog:

1) There is really no reason to call the Rum Seljuk dynasty the Arslan dynasty. Arslan just means lion in Turkish and Arabic. Alp Arslan was a title like Lionheart given to the famous Seljuk emperor. Similarly, there is no reason for all the Persian Seljuks to be called Melikshah. I don't know if this is a game engine thing, but really it would make more sense if both these dynasties were only called Seljuk or a stylized Saljuqiyan or whatever. I am talking about the "surnames" of royal family members here.

Oh and also it seems that the faction icon for Rum is an Ottoman tughra. A double headed eagle would be more suited, with different colors to differentiate from Persia Seljuks.

2) The game puts you in a weird spot where after the conquest of a major city; it is impossible to maintain public order unless you sack it, even if u max out the garrison. Personally I think that if the entire army is stationed somewhere and is not moving for many turns, that should be enough to pacify the place. It is not fun occupying a settlement with a full army (and therefore having the full army stalled in a war) and then taking damage to that army and even possibly getting a family member killed just because the populace still decided to revolt.

I guess this would be fine if sacking wasn't tied to your reputation so heavily. Personally, I would reduce the diplomatic penalty for sacking cities. You can add some scripts like sacking Constantinople reduces relations with Christians and Baghdad with Muslims etc if you want but sacking in general shouldn't be so punishing. If a city fell, it is rare that the troops peacefully occupied the place. In fact, that would probably cause them to turn on their commander. Why waste months of your life in stress besieging a city and putting your life on the line if there is no loot? Plus it's kind of a fun feature of Med 2 that you can sack places and to make it so punishing effectivelly makes it a non option.

3) For the Rum; the amount of heavily armored troops the Crusader states can muster is insane. They keep coming from the south and it is tough to keep them at bay. Your archers don't do enough damage because of all the armor, and you can't even take advantage of your mobility that well because they always have multiple heavy and light cavalry. To be honest, i do think it is possible to keep them at bay, I just don't like the sheer amount of knights and such they can recruit. It really doesn't make much sense to me. The Rum can get a few heavy infanty every 20 turns and each have 100 people in the unit. These have to be reserved for taking walls really. It would be a waste to use them in field battles. I would like it if these units were 150 people tbh because they take forever to recruit. At least some mid tier infantryman for the Rum would be nice as opposed either complete trash or elite but small number.

4) It is so tempting to just rush Constantinople because the Byzos just don't wanna defend it. I still played with house rule like taking 5 settlements in Europe before attacking Constantinople. But during this whole time the city was basically empty. I would put some sort of script that says you need to envelop Constantinople before sieging it (Take Adrianople, Thessaloniki, Tarnovgrad for example). And then when you actually do siege the city a big garrison should spawn in it. This would make the player have to settle his affairs elsewhere to get ready for a big siege of Constantinople just like the Ottomans.

5) Lastly, I am fond of the messages that explain mechanics but after turn 20 I find them unwelcome. All these messages should be displayed and over with after a certain point. In addition, I don't like the tone of some messages. I don't know how to describe it but basically stuff that interjects the developer in the game. Such as "sorry, you chose the attacking only with generals script, it was your decision".

All in all, fantastic mod. Of course I wouldn't want you to think I don't like it. These are just some suggestions. I also really like the buildings that decide your attitude towards the city such as gallows. (PS. gallows are basically a must if you intend to not sack somewhere).
    ad. 1 - yeah, this would be throughly re-done in the future. Exchange of Arslan into Seljuk should be easier. So is "Saljuqiyan" a Medieval stylization, or just a contemporary one?
    The double headed-eagle - as said, I'd be happy to do it, but atm nobody in the teams deals with such graphical representations for various factions.

ad. 2 - this is a feature of the mod. You need to get (educate, give training) a really good general who will be able to pacify the city after a conquest. You shouldn't do that conquest unless you've got one.

ad. 3 - yes, I share this observation. We need to review this faction indeed.

ad. 4 - again yes, a garrison is something I have in my mind. But this is some work to do be done, esp. for @kostic.

ad. 5 - ok, I got it. Perhaps the tone will be toned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Menethil22 View Post
    Hello I have several question about uprising and invasion, I play almost exclusively as Roman Empire. I love the mod very much for medieval roleplaying.
    How does the Catalan invasion work? Does the Bulgarian uprising work again?
    And if its not asking too much I would like to know about how the coming Vlach uprising work and which year will it spawn?
    Also in the last build it seems that ai Portugal get a spawn on turn 2 to siege badajoz?
    Thanks in advance
    Catalan invasions - well, at some point in 13c. there'll be a possibility of rebel armies spawning in the historical provinces where they could appear.
    Vlachs - they'll be a constant threat, from the beginning.
    Bulgarians - they're not yet there, but I'll re-make this (currently inactive) script at some point.
    Portugal - the turn 2 spawn was there from the v. 097 on. See here the map of other spawns, if you're interested.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 14, 2023 at 12:50 PM.

Nice, man. I wouldn't bother writing feedback if there wasn't such a cool dev team taking time to really listen to feedbacks. Keep doing ya thing.

So it seems manpower are delibaretely have low recharge except for cetain units which are usually militia in addition light horse archer seems to also get this treatment.

This usually isn't a problem as casualties are somewhat light in melee and skirmish phase, even in siege the casualties take time before accumulate. And then cavalry comes in, lighter cavalry are compensated for being fragile themself but General bodyguard are a beast that can quickly inflicting casualties unless you bring high armored infantry which in my case require me to wait until i unlock them or use your own bodyguard.

So far it is not yet become a problem in Abbasid run as i keep my army relatively fresh and still manage to conquer 2 region and win several battles. But my poor starting bedouin cavalry are decimated and my heavy infantry have been cut in half. The horse archer come to the rescue to replace my depleted cavalry but of course this light cavalry will not be good in melee and mtw2 engine severely nerf horse archer compare to rtw so it remain to be seen if the horse archer i could use to once again ride out for battle.

Edit : I'm considering restarting as while it's a smooth playthrough it feels wrong attacking Zengids and allying the Crusade even though it very fit the Abbasid geopolitic in the game lmao.
    Last edited by eyelurker; August 14, 2023 at 08:18 PM.

Hi im playing as Jerusalem and I just got the Saxon migration to transylvania choice at turn 13

Edit :wrong thread and cant figure out how to delete
    Last edited by Stivanderen; August 17, 2023 at 03:47 PM.

One time in my polish campaign I was informed of the Saxon Migration, that would make Saxon units available if I chose to allow the saxons unto my lands. I did.
    It mentioned 2 cities that I do not remember.

But untill now I have not seen saxon units in my recruitment slots.

Is that because my faction doesn't have the right cities?
    I still only have the starting cities in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    One time in my polish campaign I was informed of the Saxon Migration, that would make Saxon units available if I chose to allow the saxons unto my lands. I did.
    It mentioned 2 cities that I do not remember.

But untill now I have not seen saxon units in my recruitment slots.

Is that because my faction doesn't have the right cities?
    I still only have the starting cities in the west.
    It's because it's for Hungary, only that I've forgotten to disable it for the other factions.

Is there a guide/post to detail the all building in SSHIP and their effect ? I checked the forum a bit but could not find. I would like to study a bit the way to build a city efficiently.
    Last edited by MikeFriks; August 20, 2023 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFriks View Post
    BTW, is there a guide/post to detail the all building in SSHIP and their effect ? I checked the forum a bit but could not find. I would like to study a bit the way to build a city efficiently.
    Well, I know what you feel. Here's is my file for studying the efficient way of building up settlements in Attila

No, not yet. There're continuous changes in various buildings so there's no point in keeping such a list unless one writes a program to extract it automatically from the EDB. Maybe it'd be quite easy to make it with ChatGPT? I'd guess so. Maybe it exists, there's the Honga webpage listing them for the base Stainless Steel and other mods. But I don't have interests.

Well, I know what you feel. Here's is my file for studying the efficient way of building up settlements in Attila

No, not yet. There're continuous changes in various buildings so there's no point in keeping such a list unless one writes a program to extract it automatically from the EDB. Maybe it'd be quite easy to make it with ChatGPT? I'd guess so. Maybe it exists, there's the Honga webpage listing them for the base Stainless Steel and other mods. But I don't have interests.
    Thanks for the file, I will check !

No problem, just asking. I played 30 turns yesterday and got new buildings which give a lot of things, so I was a bit lost to organize
    I am not sure but one building gave +3 morale for some units, which is quite interesting, so this is why I would like to learn more about.
    At least, it will push me to do more campaigns or runs to discover building chains !

Oghuz horse archer is such a blessing for middle eastern faction. They are the weakest horse archer with the less amount of ammo and it doesn't matter because each Castle with stable have a manpower of 5-6 cavalry. In an early game where manpower are scarce Oghuz horse archer save the day as a disposable but still valuable glass cannon that can rack up some kill before die as a bait. They also weirdly useful in siege because apparently one of the good way to rack up kill is inside castle around the gate area and shoot anyone that is not engaged with my assault army in the gate(thanks Abbasid ai that kill 75% of my bodyguard with this strategy) This would be a manpower draining move but Oghuz horse archer just so happen to be disposable enough to fit the job. And of course Oghuz are useful as garrison since they cheap and can be used to inflate the garrison score in a pinch. All you need are around 500 golds to recruit and upkeep.

Turkoman cavalry theoreticly are better than Oghuz in any way including having more ammo and their price are only very slightly more expensive than Oghuz. However they only provide 3-4 which is still a lot compare to most manpower but not so many to be as disposable in addition Turkoman are a much superior horse archer that you don't want to sacrifice them for little gain anyway.

And poor Bedouin cavalry are never used because they are not recruited from stable, more limited manpower and most importantly, don't have a bow.

Edit : As i expand into Syria, Oghuz horse archer and Turkoman are much more rare and Daylami Swordsman are unavailable. I guess that balance out the numerous Oghuz in most middle eastern start.
    Last edited by eyelurker; August 21, 2023 at 10:31 PM.