Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Icon14 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

SSHIP : only technical support : mod not starting, a crash happens, opened in small window

Reportedly, the SSHIP can run on Windows 11, as can other Med2 mods. See here.

(I) Small window problem (ie. screen resolution issue)

Quote Originally Posted by William the Silent View Post
    Problem is that it opens in a small window. How do I fix that?
    See file: mods/SSHIP_098/configuration.cfg
    You need to modify the values ​​so that you've got "true". You also may change 1200 into 1080 if you prefer.
    Warning: sometimes the main game overrides the values given by the mod. If yours does so, you need to find your solution.
    [video]
    ### If you want to enable windowed mode, uncomment the following settings and adapt them to you screen resolution
    borderless_window =false
    windowed =false
    # battle_resolution = 1920 1200 # Resolution on the battle map - (h*w)
    # campaign_resolution = 1920 1200 # Resolution on the campaign map - (h*w)
    # tga_width = 1920
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    to have the game in full screen you have to open the config file (named configuration.cfg in the main folder) and enter your screen resolution.
    look for the section [video], you need to change both the line battle_resolution and the line campaign_resolution to suit you needs. Usually 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 would do.
    Would also be better to change the line just below, tga_width, to your screen width as well.
    (II) Installation of this version:
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaras View Post
    Regarding installation, I have a steam version as well, but my installation was very simple:
    1. Unzip the SSHIP folder,
    2. Without changing the name of the folder, copy it as below:
    C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SSHIP_098
    3. Inside of this folder there should be a bunch of files and folders, among which also 'data' folder.
    4. Start the game with 'SSHIP 098 launcher.bat'
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo4 View Post
    This is how I installed it:
    1) Open Steam
    2) On the top-left corner: Steam → Settings
    3) Downloads → Steam Library Folders
    4) Click the + button
    5) Let me choose another location → Add
    6) Select X:\Y, where X is the drive's letter of your choice, Y is a folder with a very short name (create it if necessary), e.g. SL (for Steam Library) - this to prevent files inside the mod's folder to have a path too long for Windows
    7) Select Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition by checking the box on the right → Move
    8) Select the folder you just created → Move
    9) Optionally, navigate to X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\ (or alternatively: Go to your Library → right click Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition → Properties... → Local Files → Browse...) to make sure that the files were moved successfully. If you're feeling paranoid, run the game
    10) Download SSHIP 098 (and 7-Zip from https://www.7-zip.org/ if you need to) - Personally, I downloaded the mod with JDownloader 2 (https://jdownloader.org/): contrary to a standard download, it started instantly and didn't freeze my computer for the duration of the download
    11) Cut (Ctrl+X) SSHIP_098.7z and paste (Ctrl+V) it into "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods", open the file, look at what greets you, then close the file
    12a) If you were greeted by a single folder, then right click SSHIP_098.7z → 7-Zip → Extract here
    12b) If you were greeted by a bunch of folders and/or files, then right click SSHIP_098.7z → 7-Zip → Extract in "SSHIP_098"
    13) Optionally, either delete SSHIP_098.7z, or keep it for posterity / as backup (but in this case I'd suggest moving it somewhere else)
    14) Optionally, rename the folder however you want (e.g. SSHIP_0.9.8 - notice the extra dots) - From now on I'll call this folder Z
    15) Return to your Library on Steam → Click Add A Game on the bottom-left corner → Add a Non-Steam Game...
    16) If you see the game, click the checkbox to its left → Add Selected Programs. Otherwise Browse... → Open "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" → Add Selected Programs
    17) A new "game" named medieval2 should have appeared in your Library. Right click it → Properties...
    18) Change medieval2 (the shortcut name) to whatever you want (e.g. SSHIP 0.9.8)
    19) Change the target to the following:
    Code:
    "X:\Y\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --features.mod=mods/Z
    (i.e. click wherever in the target field, hit End on your keyboard, add a space, add --features.mod=mods/Z)
    20) Use the new shortcut in your Library to play the game

For further reading, see https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?745692 and https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...07-2014-update.
    (IV) Crashes
    There's one peculiar source of crashes still present in the mod, if your game keeps on crushing after reloads, you may try this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Was it the last remaining settlement of another faction? If so then it might be the 'BecomesFactionLeader' bug.
    In that case proceed as follows:
    1. make a copy of export_descr_character _traits
    2. open the original with Notepad
    3. search for trigger
    4. delete everything (including that line) until the end of the file, save
    5. Try the mod again
    6. If it worked then rename the edited file and restore the copy.
    (V) Mac compatibility:
    Unfortunatelly, we use some patch names in the coding and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Hi! Sorry, from m'y knowledge having a good mac compatibility would require rewriting a lot of path names in a lot of files...

(VI) For other technical issues check:

- SSHIP 097 installation entry.
    - Titanium thread.
    - EBII thread.
    - Broken Crescent thread.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 18, 2023 at 12:03 AM.

Default 098 : Mod is NOT RUNNING, what to do? (also crashes and other technical)

Hi

Im a tech noob and cant figure out how to correctly install SSHIP.
    I downloaded SSHIP test 0.98 version of 21.08.21 from the sticky post and extracted the files into the mods folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods).
    I ran the SS setup and made sure to choose the right settings. Now, i press the SSHIP launcher i get an error saying "cannot find M2TW or Kingdoms executable" and "SSHIP is probably installed into the wrong folder".
    Why am i getting this error?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Need installation help

Don't run the SS setup - I think this kills everything.
    If this doesn't help, then write if you've run any other mod on your comp. If not, then installing in another folder may help, having to .exe files (kingdoms and medieval2) etc.

I ran the SS setup to tick off the correct settings like it says in the installation instructions on this site.
    I havent run any other mods besides SS 6.4, which works. I tried to extract SSHIP 0.98 version of 21.08.21 into the folder where M2TW and Kingdoms exe was located, but i still got an error when i pressed the SSHIP launcer.
    As far as i understand i only had to extract the SSHIP folder to play, yes? not running any installation exe?
    hope u can help

so you want me to install M2TW kingdoms (I have it on steam), then install SS 6.4 but not run the setup, then download SSHIP test 0.98 version of 21.08.21 and extract the files into (in my case) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods, and then press the SSHIP launcher?

no, just unload the SSHIP and run the launcher.bat
    the base SS6.4 is now already included (and many unnecessary files were deleted, so the size of the SSHIP is smaller)

So, I uninstalled M2TW and deleted all the files. I then downloaded M2TW again and reinstalled it. I then unpacked SSHIP into the mods folder and clicked the launcher but end up with the same error: "You probably installed SSHIP into the wrong folder". I tried moving SSHIP into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War but still not working. It did however change the loading screen when i tried to click the medieval2 exe but when I tried to start a campaign i got crashed to desktop.

Edit: i would very much appreciate if some1 could spell out the installation process from start to finish

Thanks, got it to work. I had to mask SSHIP as one of the original Kingdom mods. So i deleted the crusades files and put the SSHIP ones into that folder and then launched the crusades from steam - success

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

I'm terribly sorry if this is an easily-searchable bug, but in my case, SSHIP starts in a small quarter of the screen window in the top left. It's not exactly a fullscreen issue, but what is it? Other mods work fine.
    Adûnâi != Adonai

About the size of the window, you have two options in the config file:
    - set the option `windowed ` to false
    - or set the correct resolution using the options `width` and `height'
    I believe, based on what I read some time ago, that windowed mode is more stable, specially if you frequently atl-tab between the game and other stuff.

EDIT: @kostic about the logs you posted:
    - in the first one the "missing banner" error O witnessed it a lot of time in logs without it causing a CTD
    - in the second one there is 2 seconds between the last entry and the CTD, so it's likely not related I think.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Belovèse; April 15, 2022 at 03:23 PM.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

The above two suggestions are correct, underneath step by step in case you are not familiar with the set up of the game:

1. right click the mod's desktop shortcut and choose 'open file location'
    2. open the CFG file in that directory with Notepad
    3a. To disable windowed mode and return to full screen (default) look for the windowed line and change the value from true or 1 to false or 0 (zero)
    3b. To keep windowed mode (more stable) look for lines (should be two) with resolution in it and enter your desktop resolution
    4. Save and start mod

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Thanks for reporting ! Please specify which version of SSHIP you are using. Most developers are on the latest SSHIP 098 beta version of April 7, 2022. Is the bug with this version ?
    It is. The .98 beta. Just d/l from the page and installed as a standalone, as I though the instructions stated.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

@tullyccro : Sorry, I was able to load your save and pass the round without crashing. I even skipped the next lap to be sure.
    The full log doesn't tell me anything either.

Already, if you were able to launch the game and launch a campaign, it means that, a priori, your game is correctly installed.

My advice
    :

- Close all your programs before launching SSHIP (even your browser)
    - Perform in mods/SSHIP_098/ Map and Bin file cleaner.bat to redo the .bin and the map.

I am currently testing a campaign with HRE ! I'm just on the 6th round and I haven't had any bugs so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tullyccro View Post
    It is. The .98 beta. Just d/l from the page and installed as a standalone, as I though the instructions stated.
    It could also be a corrupted or missing fike, sometime that happens on download, or unzip, or copy. In that case no solution other than starting again the whole install process, from the downloading step.

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Is the Custom Battle feature shut down for SSHIP0.98?
    I have installed 0.98 - it looks amazing! However...
    While I can definitely launch a campaign and fight battles on campaign maps without encountering CTD thus far, it occurs to me the Custom Battle feature is not working: whenever I click on that option, the game freezes for seconds and then immediately crashes to desktop.
    I reinstalled a clean version of SS6.4 and SSHIP0.98 from scratch. The problem remains.
    Is that a known issue for 0.98 at its current stage or is it rather an unique glitch for my system?
    It's a bit frustrating right now as I wish to review a few factions' rosters via Custom Battle as I always do but am currently unable to even enter the Custom Battle's interface without crashing.
    Does anyone have a clue what the problem may be?

Thanks to all for the support. Re d/l and installed. Still crashed. Checked my eventviewer and changed permissions (New Win 11 install) still crashed. Copied and renamed medieval2 exe to kingdoms, crashed, so deleted it, crashed again. Performed file cleanup. Crashed on campaign load twice.

Disabled Razer background, 3rd Party Process Manager and X1 software and SUCCESS.

Now crashing on exit but no worries if it works otherwise.

Also re d/l the old Large Address Aware patcher, not sure if still needed but figured why not.

Forgot how moody this old .exe really is.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by moralrelativism View Post
    Is the Custom Battle feature shut down for SSHIP0.98?
    I have installed 0.98 - it looks amazing! However...
    While I can definitely launch a campaign and fight battles on campaign maps without encountering CTD thus far, it occurs to me the Custom Battle feature is not working: whenever I click on that option, the game freezes for seconds and then immediately crashes to desktop.
    I reinstalled a clean version of SS6.4 and SSHIP0.98 from scratch. The problem remains.
    Is that a known issue for 0.98 at its current stage or is it rather an unique glitch for my system?
    It's a bit frustrating right now as I wish to review a few factions' rosters via Custom Battle as I always do but am currently unable to even enter the Custom Battle's interface without crashing.
    Does anyone have a clue what the problem may be?
    Do not install SS6.4 ! Your problems come from there! SSHIP 098 is a complete mod that contains everything you need. You just need to have the SSHIP_098 folder in the mod folder. (Medieval II totalwar/mods/SSHIP_098/)
    The game launches with the SSHIP 098 launcher.bat which is in the folder. You can then make a desktop shortcut.

@tullyccro: Glad you got to play! Indeed, the engine is old and does not support other apps running in the background. A few months ago, I discovered that my CTDs in the campaign map no longer arrived if I closed my browser in the background...
    Last edited by kostic; April 23, 2022 at 05:29 PM.

Civis
    Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (CAMH), Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    Do not install SS6.4 ! Your problems come from there! SSHIP 098 is a complete mod that contains everything you need. You just need to have the SSHIP_098 folder in the mod folder. (Medieval II totalwar/mods/SSHIP_098/)
    The game launches with the SSHIP 098 launcher.bat which is in the folder. You can then make a desktop shortcut.

That solves all the problem! Much thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tullyccro View Post
    Thanks to all for the support. Re d/l and installed. Still crashed. Checked my eventviewer and changed permissions (New Win 11 install) still crashed. Copied and renamed medieval2 exe to kingdoms, crashed, so deleted it, crashed again. Performed file cleanup. Crashed on campaign load twice.

Disabled Razer background, 3rd Party Process Manager and X1 software and SUCCESS.

Now crashing on exit but no worries if it works otherwise.

Also re d/l the old Large Address Aware patcher, not sure if still needed but figured why not.

Forgot how moody this old .exe really is.
    Also I'm not sure exactly what changes in windows 11 could impact mod stability, so maybe try using compatibility mode?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast