• The first level of the building

4 44.44%
  • The second level of the building

4 44.44%
  • The third level of the building

1 11.11%

Thread: Vassals providing troops

Default Vassals providing troops

Historically vassals usually provided troops to their liege. This is hard to simulate in the med 2 engine. However the "local autonomy building line can simulate this, by providing some of the units from the conquered faction in small numbers. Im going to try and make a submod that allows this. Im thinking that the units available should mostly be the feudal units of a faction at their lowest availability. This might not work very well for the italian city states as they are not feudal societies and their unique units are mostly not feudal.
    The question then becomes which building level should the units come at, from the start, from the second level or a whole new thrid level.

I will be writing the units that will be available through this system either by editing this post or further down the thread.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
    Have a nice day
    Last edited by Stivanderen; January 20, 2023 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Got name of the building

Default Re: Vassals providing troops

Do you mean the local autonomy building? (political building), this building represents a population with more autonomy, perhaps a vassal.
    What kind of feudal units are you referring to? I understand that elite units like knights will be for landowners and more basic feudal units like levies will be for this one.
    I think it might be a good idea to also add traits for the generals who run these "independent" settlements that decrease loyalty due to their more independent rule from the monarch and his rule.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Yeah I do mean the local autonomy building line, couldnt check what it was called. And I mean all or most of the feudal units that belong to the faction that nornally calls it home. Fx in greece and parts of anatolia it would be the pronoiari units while the rus would have the druzhina boyars and perhaps around novgorod the novgorod home guard.

In the case of loyalty I think that its hard to figure out if they would be extra loyal or become more ambitious. Perhaps a tendency toward either of the extremes?
    Last edited by Stivanderen; January 20, 2023 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Posted without writting everything

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Stivanderen View Post
    Historically vassals usually provided troops to their liege. This is hard to simulate in the med 2 engine. However the "local autonomy building line can simulate this, by providing some of the units from the conquered faction in small numbers. Im going to try and make a submod that allows this. Im thinking that the units available should mostly be the feudal units of a faction at their lowest availability. This might not work very well for the italian city states as they are not feudal societies and their unique units are mostly not feudal.
    The question then becomes which building level should the units come at, from the start, from the second level or a whole new thrid level.
    I will be writing the units that will be available through this system either by editing this post or further down the thread.
    What are your thoughts and suggestions?
    Have a nice day
    A few thoughts:
    1. Actually, the landowners were meant to be the buildings that provide vassals' soldiers to their liege.
    2. It may be problematic not only for Italians, but also for the Muslims, Pagans and the Orthodox. In the Muslim world, there's a kind of feudal-like system (iqta) but it only resembled the Latin's one. A simple thinking that the Orthodox system worked in a feudal way led the historians in the 20th century to a misunderstanding of, eg, the problems the Macedonian dynasty faced in 11th century.
    3. The autonomy building is meant to provide for the trade-off between regions providing units what draws their unrest, and those left undisturbed at the expense of lower military support.

The threads with the related discussions are here (on feudalism) and here (recruitment system).

That noted, I think it would be interesting to have feudal units provided in limited numbers also from the autonomus regions.

-------------
    I would also put some questions:
    - how would you think to present the class "ministeriales" in the HRE system? and additional unit? a name for the existing unit of HRE seargents?
    -
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 21, 2023 at 08:42 AM.