Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sad day! Silvio is dead!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Icon9 A sad day! Silvio is dead!

Today June 12th, Silvio Berlusconi, the controversial Prime Minister of Italy, died in Milan from complications of Leukemia.

Silvio Berlusconi had many vices. He was not exactly a good example for a leader. However, millions of people supported him and he was instrumental in Italian politics for the past 30 years as a prime minister or a strong partner in government coalitions. With most of the political world in Italy fighting to keep him out of politics, Silvio persevered. Silvio is survived by his 5 legitimate children and who knows how many bastards. Italy would have a national day of mourning over Silvio and he will receive a state funeral.

The passing of a 86 years old man that has lived the life of Silvio Berlusconi is not exactly surprising and his death will probably not shake the Italian government coalition although it will make things harder for them in the next elections. Silvio was a force to be reconned with.

My condolences to the Italians that supported this (admittedly populist rightwing bordering on far-right) politicians. My condolences to all trolls as it is a sad day for us. My condolences to all other billionaire populist far-right leaders that are facing huge controversies and are on trial for things they absolutely did.

alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: A sad day! Silvio is dead!

Well, he wasn't exactly young. 86 is past the average male lifespan
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Well, he wasn't exactly young. 86 is past the average male lifespan
    Not for 21st century billionaires that are not Russian Oligarchs!
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

He was a good looking 86 year old and he will be missed, one way or the other.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Il Cavaliere is a chapter of Italian history all by himself. For his vim and the colour he brought to Italian (and European) public life he'll be missed. For his moral integrity, scruples and efficacy as PM maybe not so much.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I wish you could have seen the Italian TV yesterday night.. I mean, there hasn't been one single journalist who did make a honest analysis on him. One side, all the apologetic crap, calling him the "savior of Italy" and the "bastion against Communism", the other side the completely blind hatred of those who suffered form his ego and despotic management of media. In all fairness, doing a full recount on such a controversial character is pretty impossible, his tentacles reached everywhere (and this already says a lot about the man), but I'm pretty sure that those who loved him, did so with reason, and the same is true for those who hated him.

One thing is certain, for over 2 decades he represented a part of Italy, a way of being Italian, which many deny (especially within Italy itself), but that was often prevalent, included in the political life. But the truth is that someone had to be voting him for so long, and that many hoped, and still hope, to become one day like a little Berlusconi.

As for me, I loved his complete lack of any filter and his disinterest of the opinion people had of him (at the least in the last part of his life).. honestly, seeing him disrespecting all those "great leaders", which usually treated Italy and Italian leaders as secondary, was a change for the best, in a country of servants and arse licker.

Go on Silvio, teach Beelzebub how to party hard.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

The bunga bunga events, probably the best orgies with prostitutes since the end of the Italian Renaissance. He will be missed.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Goodnight sweet Prince! The end of an Age!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I wish you could have seen the Italian TV yesterday night.. I mean, there hasn't been one single journalist who did make a honest analysis on him. One side, all the apologetic crap, calling him the "savior of Italy" and the "bastion against Communism", the other side the completely blind hatred of those who suffered form his ego and despotic management of media. In all fairness, doing a full recount on such a controversial character is pretty impossible, his tentacles reached everywhere (and this already says a lot about the man), but I'm pretty sure that those who loved him, did so with reason, and the same is true for those who hated him.

One thing is certain, for over 2 decades he represented a part of Italy, a way of being Italian, which many deny (especially within Italy itself), but that was often prevalent, included in the political life. But the truth is that someone had to be voting him for so long, and that many hoped, and still hope, to become one day like a little Berlusconi.

As for me, I loved his complete lack of any filter and his disinterest of the opinion people had of him (at the least in the last part of his life).. honestly, seeing him disrespecting all those "great leaders", which usually treated Italy and Italian leaders as secondary, was a change for the best, in a country of servants and arse licker.

Go on Silvio, teach Beelzebub how to party hard.
    It is 3 decades, Flinn.

I loved Silvio ... without reason. Mostly because he was hilarious and rude. He was a troll but, at least in the news that reached me, not a malignant angry troll like Trump, but a funny one. Even his sex scandals were more interesting that Trump's.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

He was funny, but I haven't followed him. Only saw a couple of his moments, like comparing the then german head of the Eu parliament to an SS officer (or similar)
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Blog Entries

He compared him to a Kapo, which was worse actually.. the Kapo (or Kapò) was "(German: Funktionshäftling) was a prisoner in a Nazi camp who was assigned by the Schutzstaffel (SS) guards to supervise forced labor or carry out administrative tasks."
    In most cases it was a negative figure, seen as a traitor of his people.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    It is 3 decades, Flinn.

I loved Silvio ... without reason. Mostly because he was hilarious and rude. He was a troll but, at least in the news that reached me, not a malignant angry troll like Trump, but a funny one. Even his sex scandals were more interesting that Trump's.
    It was almost 3 decades indeed, even though IMO his real political power ended in 2011.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

It was almost 3 decades indeed, even though IMO his real political power ended in 2011.
    It certainly lessened but his party got in the senate and he was, IIRC second in Maloni's coalition. I doubt Maloni can win again without Silvio sleek charisma after the usual erosion that ruling parties endure.

Blog Entries

It's Meloni

And Forza Italia is the 3rd party, the second one is Lega.

Anyways, I'm referring to when he resigned in 2011; after that he hasn't been "at the government" until 2021. Sure he remained as a political figure, but the power he still had was from his own persona, not from his political relevance.

this is him on Friday, man he was really busted

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

It's Meloni
    Indeed, it's easy to remember, an obvious reference to her... female qualities.

Anyway, today is the funeral:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/ital...onal-mourning/
    So RIP Silvio.
    Last edited by Alastor; June 14, 2023 at 03:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Anyway, today is the funeral:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/ital...onal-mourning/
    So RIP Silvio.
    I'm frankly surprised that no one complained about the State funeral.. I mean, that's technically correct, but considering how many haters he had in the press, that's strange I guess the "seal of approval" received by President Mattarella shut more than one mouth.

Indeed, RIP Mr President.

Blog Entries

Live funeral, in case one is interested

At the height of his power he was like a king in all but name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    At the height of his power he was like a king in all but name.
    We have a little problem, but a very little one eh, with conflict of interests, in my beloved country..

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Berlusconi was most certainly not a saint, and did some typically corrupt stuff, but I'll be goddamned if he wasn't the most hilarious politician to have existed in modern times. RIP.
    Pour some Italian wine out for your homie, Berlusconi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast