Thread: SSHIP Custom Campaigns Thread - Update for New Version

Icon5 SSHIP Custom Campaigns Thread - Update for New Version

Sup folks,

Back last year "a Distator's Cigar" made a thread that minimized Byzantium to just two starting settlements. I did my best to apply the descr_strat.tct file from April 7th, 2022 that "a Dictator's Cigar" made for the old version of 9.8 SSHIP, but (unsurprisingly) this custom campaign file would cause a crash back to the main menu.

Is there anyone who knows how to manipulate the same file that "a Dictator's Cigar" did? I have tried the process myself, and while I have a vague understanding of how it all functions, I couldn't get the process to work in the same manner that our favorite dictator achieved.

Link to mentioned thread for reference: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...mpaigns-Thread

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: SSHIP Custom Campaigns Thread - Update for New Version

Can you post a log?

Quick check list, assuming you have only changed the strat file...

1) assure no character names have been removed/changed.
    2) assure no buildings have been removed/changed.
    3) assure no units have been removed/changed. (most likely situation considering recent sship patches).

What I mean, is that if the strat file is referencing something that is no longer in the game files, it would CTD. But the log will be more revealing to this.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

fyi: in each version of the SSHIP there're changes to the relevant issues:
    - destr_strat is changing (buildings, family trees: eg many childe princesses were added - but names of provinces/settlements and factions stay the same)
    - EDB (buildings) - not only new are added, but also some may be removed (recently: religious orders' buildings in the castles)
    - EDU: the units stay the same, no change there (yet): no new added, no removed. Only parameters change, in particular prices.

It's delightful to learn that "Minimizing Byzantium" is still a playable scenario for people in our community. @GSutt , i'll try to apply the scenario on the August 10th, 2023 version which was released today. i'll post the updated descr_strat file on here in the coming week. stay posted.
    Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; August 10, 2023 at 03:04 AM.

It's ready. unlike the previous versions of SSHIP. on the current version (Aug. 10th, 2023) I had to edit both the Descr_Strat and the EDU file. in the Descr_strat it was the same changes applied on previous versions. while in the EDU i had to add the slave faction as co-owner to all Byzantium units.

Attached to this post is a working version of Minimizing Byzantium

Installations Instructions:

Make a backup copy of:
    Descr_Strat.txt (can be found in SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign)
    export_descr_unit.txt (can be found in SSHIP_098\data)

after backing up both files, replace them with the attached files in this WinRAR.
    -Paste Descr_Strat.txt to SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    -Paste export_descr_unit.txt to SSHIP_098\data Folder
    -Launch game.

Note: Issue with empty rebel settlements is fixed. Rebel Byzantium Settlements now contain rebel units and generals. attached files are updated. Attachment 369318MinimizeByzantium.rar
    Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; August 14, 2023 at 02:08 AM.

*Just noticed that Byzantiums previous terretories do became rebels, however they're empty of any rebel units. will try to fix that during the day. any fix will be save game compatable. will update further.

update: Issue fixed. Previous Byzantium settlements now contain rebel forces and generals.
    Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; August 14, 2023 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a Dictator's Cigar View Post
    *Just noticed that Byzantiums previous terretories do became rebels, however they're empty of any rebel units. will try to fix that during the day. any fix will be save game compatable. will update further.
    Issue Fixed.
    Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; August 14, 2023 at 02:01 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by a Dictator's Cigar View Post
    Still can't figure out how to add the units. any guidance will be appreciated.
    folder mods\SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    file descr_strat.txt
    search "; TARGOVISTE" - you'll see an army. copy this army and change the coordinates to those of the settlement you want to man

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    folder mods\SSHIP_098\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    file descr_strat.txt
    search "; TARGOVISTE" - you'll see an army. copy this army and change the coordinates to those of the settlement you want to man
    by following your guidance It worked perfectly. I copied the units information in the byzantium rebel settlements from the original Descr_strat and pasted it in the edited Descr_Strat under the ""; TARGOVISTE" units profile.