Thread: Traits: one trait to count all values of an effect

Icon3 Traits: one trait to count all values of an effect

Total officer stats from all traits

As the title says, will there be a way of depicting on screen the total effect of an officer stats from his various traits?

For example let's say the officer gets +1 HP from one trait and - 1 HP from another, so he ends up with 0 HP. So, nothing will be written as a result

Also, an officer may have +10% tax income from one trait, +10% from another, so in the end a total +20% will be written.

Can this be implemented?

I am asking this, because traits may be a lot, so it is a little bit confusing on which are the total results of all traits towards an officer's skill
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 01, 2023 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Title change for the thread to be useful in the future

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Total officer stats from all traits

1. upload your saves ;-)
    2. I know what you feel. The overload of the traits is one of my conclusions looking at the current system. So in the future, when I'm back to coding the traits (EDCT file), I'd like to limit their number.
    3. answering to your question: yes, it's possible. It's been implemented by Withwnar for the Tokien-world mods, the DCI, maybe also the very Third Age TW. You basically need to create another trait and include it into the triggers for the other traits. It looks very laborious, just open the EDCT to see how long it is.
    4. you may count the cumulative effect by yourself... I do it:

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 28, 2023 at 06:50 PM.

Again, that is very labouring and not helpful at all. I mean, if there will be an automatic system implemented that will show us the cumulative effect of traits for a specific general. So that we have the clearest picture of what is his pros, cons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by asapas View Post
    Again, that is very labouring and not helpful at all. I mean, if there will be an automatic system implemented that will show us the cumulative effect of traits for a specific general. So that we have the clearest picture of what is his pros, cons etc.
    I agree in part - it'd be better to have a more clear picture what a general is good at.
    On the other hand, I don't like the system in Rome2 / Attila / Thrones where you've got just a cumulative numbers and you never need to get interested in the "traits" as such. Combined with the possibility of "teleporting" them from one army to the other, in these games I feel very deteached from the characters. It's one of the reasons I prefer Medieval 2 engine over the Warscape.
    I like to be in need to scroll the traits to get acquiantance with the characters. It must be a limited numbers of them, otherwise I don't rember them.
    All this leads me to modding the EDCT in the following way:
    - limit the number of traits,
    - limit the number of effect for a trait,
    - limit it even more for the effects that are not counted by the engine itself (eg. you may have many traits providing Command - the player can see instantly the summary in form of 'stars', but Morale should be limited as the player has to laboriously count the number,
    - optimally, create one trait providing summary for each of those "uncounted" effects (Morale, Happines/Unrest, Law, PersonaSecurity, Move, +Tax) - but this is so laborious, that it would have to be done by another modder.
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 29, 2023 at 08:58 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post

4. you may count the cumulative effect by yourself... I do it:

Hello Jurand (and everyone else). This system seems very thorough and useful. Could you please explain how it works? For example:

-what different colors/icons represent (for example crosses and dots besides the name, why some names are in bold,...).
    -what certain columns represent (some are selfexplanatory, but I can't understand some of them - for example: Rank, Prs, Spraw, Lat, the column with "PTS-WC"s, RETIN, FM, Žoln., Money, the last column titled ZEAL... etc. I assume the column Char lists administratively or military minded characters, but why are some in green, some in gray and some in white, etc.)
    -how do you "maintain" the list (at the start of each turn, you Alt-Tab to this spreadsheet and update it according to gained traits and retinue?)

I would also like to use such a system, since I like to micromanage all the governors and generals - I think it is one of the best parts of the game/mod.

Regards.

Hi cloxx,
    there's no better micromanager than myself... Here you've got my recording file for a SSHIP campaing. It was done for v. 092 so some things may be outdated, but I start recording a new campaign from this file.
    - bold: important generals,
    - crosses: heroic victories
    - dots: other battles
    Rank - my own comparison system of the generals (based on weighted values)
    Prs - personal wealth (feature of the BGR submod, not present in the SSHIP)
    Spraw - when the traits were checked last time (94: 1194)
    PTS-WC - BGR system of ancillaries, crucial for the game (have a look here)
    Lat - age
    FM - don't remember
    Money - by how much does this general boost the income of a settlement (%)
    Zoln - by how much does this general decreases recuitment costs
    Zeal etc - just plans for the use of this general
    Char - don't remember the colours

I have another computer opened while playing, and if I check the traits, I put it in this spreadsheet and I note "Spraw" year - so that I don't check it every turn, but I know how good they are.

See a report from this play here.

JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 04, 2024 at 11:29 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Thank you very much.
    I will definitely be using this, perhaps i will just trim down the spreadsheets a little .

Excellent mod btw. It is becoming "the medieval EBII". I will be posting a more thorough feedback after I finish my France campaign.

Regards.