Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

1 10.00%

Thread: [Citizen] RafSwi7 (Patron: Abdülmecid I)

Default [Citizen] RafSwi7 (Patron: Abdülmecid I)

Patron Greetings fellow members of the Curia,

I bring forward to you RafSwi7, whom I consider one of the most distinguished contributors of the site. I firstly met RafSwi7 outside TWC and was immediately impressed with his active and positive participation in the community and his insight over business practices and game mechanics. Once he became again active in the site, he has never ceased to enrich and improve the content available in our forum. Below RafSwi7 describes his modding achievements, as well as his efforts in his capacity as a member of the Content staff, but what personally impressed me the most is his generosity. RafSwi7 has taken the initiative to freely give Steam codes to the site to be used as competition rewards. Therefore, for all his contributions in modding Troy in handling the Screenshot contests, and especially for his solidarity and generosity with the community, I believe that RafSwi7 is definitely entitled to the rank of Citizen.

Candidate Hi, this is RafSwi7.

You can probably see that I joined the community in 2011 but I haven't been really active until late 2020, when I started competing in our weekly screenshots competitions thanks to Abdülmecid I's invitation on Reddit. Few months later I was approached by Alexander78 asking me if I wanted to join board's content staff. I have agreed and since then with Alex and Turkafinwë I have been managing weekly competitions and "Picture of the Year" awards. Some time later both Alex and Turk have become Content Emeritus leaving me as a sole manager of the picture & video competitions. As mentioned above I have been active participant of these competitions and years later I have managed to top the competition leaderboards and managed to win 2022 POTY competitions.

While I wasn't active until relatively recently I was aware of TWC and has been one of its many anonymous visitors since at least 2007. I have always loved strategy games and history but in my early gaming years I have played mostly other historical series like Age of Empires, Empire Earth or Civilization games. For some reason Total War has eluded me for a while. I think that the first time I have stumbled upon it was on some YouTube video where Spartans (from Greek Cities factions) have faced hordes of "pink pyjamas Parthian warriors" (a classic!). I tried the first Rome... and it blew me away. The gameplay felt so fresh, so realistic (morale, formations, hybrid campaign/battle gameplay) when compared to other historical games (the graphics have been so great for a strategy game).

Some time later I have stumbled on this skin pack by KLAssurbanipal and then my adventures with mods have begun. Through years my favourite mods have been: Extended Greek Mod, Hegemonia City States, Aristeia: The Epic Cycle, The Lord of the Rings - Total War and Roma Surrectum.

Until the arrival of Rome II I have been playing mostly the first Rome with Medieval 2 as Empire hasn't managed to pull me in. Despite its problems I have spend a lot of time with the second Rome, which in my opinion has managed to became really great game on its own. Rome and later Attila have prompted me to revisit some older games like Napoleon and Shogun 2 with its DLCs and expansions. After that I more or less have played every Total War title from Warhammer games and Three Kingdoms to Saga titles like Thrones of Britannia and Troy. The latter Saga title - Troy - have been a very special for me as I always been the big admirer of the Trojan War myth and Homer's Iliad. You know that the game had "rough" history with its launch on Epic Store or the controversial "Behind the Myth" approach. I felt that I need to "step up" to help the game reach its "potential" of being the ultimate Trojan War video game adaptation.

So, this is how my modding "career" has begun. I had a very little experience with it as some of my Rome 2 mods have been small and quite simple. With Troy I have also started with some simple mods (like for example resizing all heroes) but later focused on "Terry" the battle map editor, where I had my first contact with creating custom maps. In the end I have created a dozen of new maps and I think some of them came out pretty nicely.

Content support for Troy has ended at some point (after receiving some nice DLCs) and the new idea has grown in my mind. I felt that I want the game somehow to continue to receive new content, so the factions there will be more varied and unique. The idea felt way too ambitious as I had no experience with such big mods, so at first I was thinking about making something smaller. The first idea was to give different cultures some new unit variants so for example a "shielded spearmen" from the Dorian culture would look different than the same unit from the Ionian culture. Eventually I have thought it would be "lame" if I have just made the mod where players could not experience these cultures.

The second idea was to add new factions to custom battles with new heroes and units. The mod was to add 4 new factions to custom battles with 1 new hero and 3 new units per faction. This however has evolved so the very first release ended up with 5 new factions (with 2 new heroes and 12 new units per faction). The mod has grown quickly to 7 new factions and the question of campaign has been brought up. I had no experience with campaign editing but slowly and after many errors I have managed to include all new factions and their units, heroes and buildings in the campaign part of the game. Factions have been still missing a lot of stuff but I decided to continue improving it.

With each update new elements and factions have been added to the mod and now (year later after the first release) the Extended Factions Mod (the name is a tribute to the Extended Greek Mod from Rome) has 20 new playable factions, 250 new units, around 40 new heroes and over 300 new missions, dilemmas and incidents (and other features). The mod is still ongoing and I am already working on 2 new factions. Most of the work on the mod has been done by me (models, ui elements, data editing, scripting and text work), while two other members who later joined the mod had made their contribution in text writing (Partofla) and unit balance testing (Eruner). With the mod I hope to surpass Aristeia mod from the first Rome by giving players the ultimate Trojan War experience.
    Last edited by PikeStance; October 03, 2023 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Syntax corrected.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Citizen] RafSwi7 (Patron: Abdülmecid I)

An instant + from me of course.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

An excellent proposal, I support this too.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Easy support, a Gold Medal POTW holder and long-time contributor to the screenshot contests.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

I have never heard of RafSwi7 before, but with the outstanding proposal and candidates letter, very much support.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

support
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Easy support. Been a long time coming.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

I wouldn't call 2020 "recent," but overdo in my estimation.

SUPPORT
    Last edited by PikeStance; October 02, 2023 at 04:19 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Long overdue, support

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Can the Consul move this to a vote? I think all criteria have been fulfilled.

Poll Added

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Voted.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Voted.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Voted

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Voted.

Congratulations to both RafSwi7 and Abdülmecid I for a successful application for citizenship.