Thread: Javelins Seem Nerfed?

KmanBEAST's Avatar Civis

Default Javelins Seem Nerfed?

First of all, just want to say that this has been and is one of my favorite mods/mod overhauls for Medieval II. Great furthering of Stainless Steel in terms of the historical authenticity and gameplay mechanics.

On the note of gameplay, I was wondering why my javelin units in SSHIP (specifically javelin infantry) are really slow at throwing their projectiles? They seem to throw at the regular Medieval 2 super-duper-slow pace. I remember in the regular Stainless Steel that this was fixed to speed up their throws, and javelin units were way deadlier as a result. Was their throwing animation slowed down in SSHIP? Is this something that can/should be fixed? It makes playing factions like Castile or Aragon not as fun with my specialty units barely even getting one volley off in a battle

Any insight would be appreciated!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Javelins Seem Nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by KmanBEAST View Post
    On the note of gameplay, I was wondering why my javelin units in SSHIP (specifically javelin infantry) are really slow at throwing their projectiles? They seem to throw at the regular Medieval 2 super-duper-slow pace. I remember in the regular Stainless Steel that this was fixed to speed up their throws, and javelin units were way deadlier as a result. Was their throwing animation slowed down in SSHIP? Is this something that can/should be fixed? It makes playing factions like Castile or Aragon not as fun with my specialty units barely even getting one volley off in a battle
    Frankly speaking, I don't remember. However, I'm not sure the javelins were historically so important for the Medieval battlefiled. In the SS (and in the EBII as well) I hate the WWI-style artillery use of javelin units: put them into the second line and throw towards the second line of the enemy army. Or, even worse, let them go behind the enemy lines and then throw javs into the back of the enemy. Devastating but totally unhistorical.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Javelins Seem Nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Frankly speaking, I don't remember. However, I'm not sure the javelins were historically so important for the Medieval battlefiled. In the SS (and in the EBII as well) I hate the WWI-style artillery use of javelin units: put them into the second line and throw towards the second line of the enemy army. Or, even worse, let them go behind the enemy lines and then throw javs into the back of the enemy. Devastating but totally unhistorical.
    Indeed Javelins were mostly used before a charge as a support weapon, mainly to make the enemy with shields drop their shield , as the javelin would sometime get stuck into one's shield, making it hard / impossible to manuever and use, hence having to throw them on ground. ( Strategy taken from the famous Roman Style Pila , which had that special design to incapacitate the enemy rather than kill him ).

Skirmishers were still part of armies but during the medieval ages , the bow and the crossbow became so much common and easier to use than javelins.

Javelins were hard to throw and someone needed enough strength and training to do it, however, because it had to be light ( in order for your average man to throw it ) it's damage / penetration abilites were greatly diminished once reinforced shields and armor were introduced. Meanwhile the crossbow was just point and shoot with much more penetration and damage and zero training .

In the end there were definetely skirmishers on the battlefield but with much lesser impact than in antiquity where javelin throwing was very common ( as bows were pretty expensive to craft and were not powerful and crossbows were not invented yet )