Thread: late-game cavalry supply issue and how landowner elite unit ruins horse balance

Default late-game cavalry supply issue and how landowner elite unit ruins horse balance

i think a revamp is required. i'm in 1510 AD. after chivalric knights, the only horse i see as Scotland is man at arms (mounted), but they only have 1 per castle. that's madness. it means the moment it is available, you need to buy it, to reset the spawn counter, otherwise it sits at max. it takes at least 14 turns to restock. you can imagine how impossible it is to make enough of these, and they're meant to be your new era horse, but they're even more rare than knights. now, i know the team has mentioned that they're mostly focusing on the early centuries 13-14. however, it seems to be an almost glaring error. i finally got to the musket era, and i see demi-lancers are now available from castles. it looks like they go up to 3 max, which is great. however, just like man at arms, they're not even a good improvement over the first elite knights. here is the stat breakdown between CK (chivalric knight) and DL (demi-lancer):

CK - Attack 8 Charge 12 Total Defence 27 Armour 18 Defence Skill 4 Shield 5
    DL - Attack 8 Charge 14 Total Defence 18 Armour 18 Defence Skill 4 Shield 0

Demi-Lancers do have 81 men compared to Chivalric Knight's 63, which is a big improvement. however, their description even states that they were more cheaper to produce and maintain. they cost 3446, and 1275 upkeep.

Chivalric Knights are 640, and 1280 upkeep! they're way better, cheaper, excellent morale AND boost other morale.

its ok if previous generations of elite knight units are replaced by more standardized cavalry as the ages change, that's fine. but the player must be forced to use the newer units in the name of modernization. the mod gives you mailed knights and feudal knights and eventually phases them out of recruitment, to follow history. but the mod stops managing horses at chivalric knights. i'm sure knights are still common in this era. but for the mod, the recruiting amount needs to be reduced to 2 or even 1, to reflect their downtrend, and the other horses must be given more stock so they outnumber the knights.

landowner building gives me basically infinite knights, mounted and foot. i can make armies of only those two units, and they would be stronger than anything else. i only have full structured armies because i choose to. but i can just recruit from every single city all over europe to create a full knight army, landowner is better than any barracks or stables, with 0 consequences. it doesn't help that they're CHEAPER and BETTER, one or the other must change.

early game, landowner elites are perfect, you only get a few of them if you can afford it for your early army. when you become strong, they are knight factories
    Last edited by Sllhouette; January 03, 2024 at 07:35 PM.