Thread: Oversight in FL death/diplomacy reset mechanic

Default Oversight in FL death/diplomacy reset mechanic

If I besiege a city which contains the enemy faction leader, and take it by force, I have killed the FL, which results in a scripted ceasefire from the diplomacy reset mechanic, but then immediately upon occupying the city, a new war is started, resulting in a blow to my own reputation. I shouldn't have to explain that this is inane. Please either scrap this mechanic or make it so that it does not activate if the faction leader is killed while in a settlement.

EDIT: Actually, I will just come out and state my opinion that this mechanic in general does not make any sense in the confines of Medieval II. This game, and the AI specifically, works on the assumption that you are playing as a faction, not as a character. This is not Crusader Kings. I bet you heavens to Betsy that nearly every time the AI gets force-reset to neutral, they will gleefully throw themselves back into the same war a few turns later no matter what the script declares the "new faction leader" thinks, because that's what they have been programmed to do.
    Last edited by AReallyBigCat; April 14, 2024 at 02:50 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Oversight in FL death/diplomacy reset mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by AReallyBigCat View Post
    If I besiege a city which contains the enemy faction leader, and take it by force, I have killed the FL, which results in a scripted ceasefire from the diplomacy reset mechanic, but then immediately upon occupying the city, a new war is started, resulting in a blow to my own reputation. I shouldn't have to explain that this is inane. Please either scrap this mechanic or make it so that it does not activate if the faction leader is killed while in a settlement.

EDIT: Actually, I will just come out and state my opinion that this mechanic in general does not make any sense in the confines of Medieval II. This game, and the AI specifically, works on the assumption that you are playing as a faction, not as a character. This is not Crusader Kings. I bet you heavens to Betsy that nearly every time the AI gets force-reset to neutral, they will gleefully throw themselves back into the same war a few turns later no matter what the script declares the "new faction leader" thinks, because that's what they have been programmed to do.
    That's Macaras' stuff.

Default Re: Oversight in FL death/diplomacy reset mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    That's Macaras' stuff.
    It is caused by the script that was there long time before me, I pointed out this problem in the past. Since in general I am not responsible for the scripts, I didn't touch anything there. I totally agree with BigCat though.