Thread: My kingdom for a horse!

Default My kingdom for a horse!

Hi,

I've been playing a campaign as the Holy Roman Empire for quite some time, it is now 1335 and I own most of Europe from Spain to the ends of Russia, stopping my southern advance at Gibraltar and Constantinople. The problem is... I can't move beyond this.

When I end the turn and all the factions make their moves, up to the rebels, when it is about to dawn on my new turn the screen goes black then crashes to desktop—"Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit."

The curious thing is I can prevent this by giving a certain number of provinces (a large number, about half of what i have) to other factions. And it isn't this or that particular province that is causing it, as I have tried different combinations and it looks like it is the quantity that does it.

I could continue playing from my half-empire, but who's to say the same thing won't happen once I regain my might? This bug, in effect, is making me sell my kingdom for a horse.

Please help!

Default Re: My kingdom for a horse!

Update: I gave most of my provinces away and moved on to the next turn. Despicably, I then took advantage of empty garrisons and took back most of the lost territory. But then, same problem, game crash. So it is almost certainly a problem with the number of provinces I have. Any ideas?

Since nobody replied...

You are playing the original DLV, which is fine. Unfortunately it has not been updated for quite some time and some of the bugs still remain unfixed. Not sure what causes your bug in particular, but it must be some sort of a script or check for number of provinces perhaps (a king trait?). I can only suggest to install battle balance, BB submod by Taiji. He updated it very recently too. It does streamline a lot of scripts into one combination leaving no choice, but it reduces amounts of bugs to nearly zero. The only bug that appears from time to time is the random crash. It happens only to some people and is not critical if you have a save. It also improves the AI greatly and introduces some new scripted features. Well, i suggest to give it a try.

Sandy

Thanks! I will certainly try that. Is it possible to use BB mid-save, or do I have to start a new campaign for it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by bethesrasta View Post
    Thanks! I will certainly try that. Is it possible to use BB mid-save, or do I have to start a new campaign for it to work?
    new campaign