Thread: how to defeat the huns?!

Default how to defeat the huns?!

hello all...I just started the mod last night and it feels nice to defend the glory of Rome.
    The Huns are currently invading my Eastern borders, I allowed them to take 2 of my cities (no chance to defend them) I moved my best troops into my the nearest well defended city - most of which are Illyrian legions. I decided since the Huns are almost entirely cavalry I will build up spearmen and do the classic defense at my town square! I knew my garrison would be defeated against 4 full stacks of Huns but I hoped to kill at least 1 full stack. It started OK but fairly quickly my Illyrians got absolutely slaughtered. Skirmishers seem to almost have unlimited arrows.

They had no chance against the CONSTANT barrage of arrows! I realised it would have been wiser to defend at my gate and walls since they lack infantry and I could potentially hold their cavalry at the front gate. Is this the ultimate siege defense strategy against the Huns?

Now I'm wondering...How the hell would you ever fight them in an open battlefield?!
    I guess it's pretty realistic like this

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: how to defeat the huns?!

Your best bet is to use anti-cavalry skirmishers, spearmen, and anti-infantry troops on the walls. Keep your spearmen in a shieldwall or something at the gate, that waytheir being clustered together will defend against melee cavalry, and your skirmishers can hit the missile cavalry.

Worked for me. If you have any cavalry send them out to keep the archers distracted. That way your spearmen can kill the melee cavalry undistracted.

On open ground keep uphill, and have plenty of support troops along with your main body, always try to have Lanciarii and archers in reserve behind your troops, and use plenty of cavalry too, preferably armed with spears and medium-grade.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfriend View Post
    hello all...I just started the mod last night and it feels nice to defend the glory of Rome.
    The Huns are currently invading my Eastern borders, I allowed them to take 2 of my cities (no chance to defend them) I moved my best troops into my the nearest well defended city - most of which are Illyrian legions. I decided since the Huns are almost entirely cavalry I will build up spearmen and do the classic defense at my town square! I knew my garrison would be defeated against 4 full stacks of Huns but I hoped to kill at least 1 full stack. It started OK but fairly quickly my Illyrians got absolutely slaughtered. Skirmishers seem to almost have unlimited arrows.

They had no chance against the CONSTANT barrage of arrows! I realised it would have been wiser to defend at my gate and walls since they lack infantry and I could potentially hold their cavalry at the front gate. Is this the ultimate siege defense strategy against the Huns?

Now I'm wondering...How the hell would you ever fight them in an open battlefield?!
    I guess it's pretty realistic like this
    Shieldwall behind the door, legionnes or 2 milites on each wall, and mass all other troops and reserves behind the shield wall or in the flank

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

The best way to defeat the hunnic horde is this, I done it many times with Comes Marcellinus and the Dalmatian army. There are six auxilla palatina units armed with spears, they will be your front rankers. The four Comitatensis units you should divide two on each flank, the huns will outnumber you and try to outflank you, the comitatensis will hold their own, deploy them a little angled to counter any hunnic outflanking. Behind the Palatina I generaly deploy the Indigeni Germani, with skirmish mod off, they have enough angons to last them all battle. Behind them in third line I deploy four to five units of archers, they will generally be targeted by hunnic archers, but will take a lot of hunns to hell with them. Last Marcellinus behind. Take no cavalry, they are virtualy usless against the hunns, they will be outnumbered and slaughtered. I will take two units of Illyrian spearmen, deployed each one on the flanks of the auxilla.

Always take the field aginst the hunns, thier arrows will take a hevy toll of your infantry in a siege. Deploy on a hill, and hold your ground. Trust be I am a veteran generall of many wars trough the ages.

Cheers.

Can we play the Huns in the game, or in the future can we?

Quote Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
    Can we play the Huns in the game, or in the future can we?
    Yes they ae playable and the Ostrogoths are not..make sure you got the latest download from here

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

I have downloaded the official version from here, but couldn't seen the Huns in the Vandals Campaign. I asked because of that How can I play them??

I have downloaded the official version from here, but couldn't seen the Huns in the Vandals Campaign. I asked because of that How can I play them??
    Must have this:

Requires Vandals mod 1.2 - 1.201
    Installer Click:
    IB2 AFRICA VANDALORVM 2 273MB (MEGAUPLOAD)
    or
    IB2 AFRICA VANDALORVM 2.exe 273MB (FILEFRONT)

I have missed that
    Thank you for the great help...

At first I think that was another kind of installation of the mod. And in the download section, there was a heading in the below : "Invasio Barbarorum 2 Vandals 1.2 (Full)", then I installed that for saying "Full". If with this additional installation will help to play new features (playing like Huns), than it would be very good for me, but it is a little confusing in that case.

(I can not edit my post above because I am new to forum, I think. Perhaps that feature will be unlocked with increase of messages.)

At first I think that was another kind of installation of the mod. And in the download section, there was a heading in the below : "Invasio Barbarorum 2 Vandals 1.2 (Full)", then I installed that for saying "Full". If with this additional installation will help to play new features (playing like Huns), than it would be very good for me, but it is a little confusing in that case.

(I can not edit my post above because I am new to forum, I think. Perhaps that feature will be unlocked with increase of messages.)
    We will be revamping the Downloads with one series of links again soon with the mod totally upgraded. Glad all is well and fill us in on any ideas you may want to present..

Now I am only wondering; without the patch and instaling the VANDALORVM 2 feature, I haven't missed any improvment to the game?

Now I am only wondering; without the patch and instaling the VANDALORVM 2 feature, I haven't missed any improvment to the game?
    What are you missing?

I haven't write that openly, that is my mistake; I would like to ask, have I missed any other improvements for not installing the patch ? (but Vandalorvm 2)
    I am also now making a music/sound mod for Huns (copyright is the problem for publishing on here I think)

I haven't write that openly, that is my mistake; I would like to ask, have I missed any other improvements for not installing the patch ? (but Vandalorvm 2)
    I am also now making a music/sound mod for Huns (copyright is the problem for publishing on here I think)
    I think you should be all set
    With Vandalorvm 2 Installed it should have the updated files the previous patch

the Hunni can be defeated quite well with 8-10 archers guarded by the illyrien spearmen or better palaentine aux - usually I have a 2:! OR 3:1 loss on cost of the Hunni riders - was beating up 6 fullstacks at the start without loosing any city ;-) - if they start to use more infantry use more as well ;-)

Let's get down to business.
    The Huns are currently invading my Eastern borders, I allowed them to take 2 of my cities (no chance to defend them)
    So, time was racing toward you, and the Huns arrived.

I moved my best troops into my the nearest well defended city - most of which are Illyrian legions. I decided since the Huns are almost entirely cavalry I will build up spearmen and do the classic defense at my town square! I knew my garrison would be defeated against 4 full stacks of Huns but I hoped to kill at least 1 full stack. It started OK but fairly quickly my Illyrians got absolutely slaughtered. Skirmishers seem to almost have unlimited arrows.
    It sounds like they sent you daughters, when you asked for sons.

Yes. Once you find your center, you are sure to win.

You must be swift as the coursing river, with all the force of the great typhoon, with all the force of the raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon.