Thread: Forcing the AI to move in larger stacks?

Default Forcing the AI to move in larger stacks?

I often see the AI moving around tiny, vulnerable stacks instead of consolidating in larger, more protected stacks. Obviously, the AI wants to move more quickly and efficiently, and there are speed gains to be had with moving units in this fashion; but I think the negative is overwhelming, as the AI stacks become very easy to pick apart one-by-one. There is also the tedium associated with fighting the AI this way, as well as computer performance issues when the AI factions are moving, for instance, 20 small stacks per turn rather than 3-4 larger stacks per turn.

So is there a way to force the AI to move around in larger stacks? Perhaps tell it to never go anywhere unless it has at least y number of units in a stack?

Default Re: Forcing the AI to move in larger stacks?

This is an old problem. I think I remember someone claiming to have been able to improve things somewhat in this area. I can't remember who or where, though. Check Soulson's CAI thread, RollingWave's HURB mod, and...uh...maybe in M2 general discussion. There definitely was a mod or submod that promised the AI would attack you with big armies. Of course, I don't know if those promises were true or just Krusty promises.

I don't know if it can be told to sit still if doesn't have a certain amount of units, but if it sits still, how can it combine its troops?

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    This is an old problem. I think I remember someone claiming to have been able to improve things somewhat in this area. I can't remember who or where, though. Check Soulson's CAI thread, RollingWave's HURB mod, and...uh...maybe in M2 general discussion. There definitely was a mod or submod that promised the AI would attack you with big armies. Of course, I don't know if those promises were true or just Krusty promises.

I don't know if it can be told to sit still if doesn't have a certain amount of units, but if it sits still, how can it combine its troops?
    Good point. So I suppose the minimum cannot be too large - maybe something like it has to achieve at least 4-5 unit total per stack before it moves from its settlement of origination?

I will look at the other threads you suggested - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post

Well, if it did not reach the bare minimum to be allowed to move (say 10 troops for example), all its units would be probably sitting in a settlement anyway. Then, as it recruits more and more (a script could also spawn some units for them every couple of turns), it would reach the minimum and would be able to move. The problem is, as far as I know, the AI could split its armies upon leaving the settlement, and they would remain scattered around until the minimum was reached again, which the AI has no clue is actually at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Well, if it did not reach the bare minimum to be allowed to move (say 10 troops for example), all its units would be probably sitting in a settlement anyway. Then, as it recruits more and more (a script could also spawn some units for them every couple of turns), it would reach the minimum and would be able to move. The problem is, as far as I know, the AI could split its armies upon leaving the settlement, and they would remain scattered around until the minimum was reached again, which the AI has no clue is actually at work.
    Yes, that's a potential problem - and I didn't think of it! ;(

Darn, can we just transplant an average human brain onto the AI?