Thread: Simple addition and deletion of provinces on the campaign map?

Default Simple addition and deletion of provinces on the campaign map?

I am seeking to do very minor redistribution of provinces on the SS campaign map. Mainly, I think some regions have way too many provinces (e.g. the British Isles and Scandinavia) and others have way too few (e.g. France and Persia). Does this require me to do something other than simple text file editing? If it indeed involves working with paint programs, I give up entirely. If, however, I just need to work with text files, then could you direct me to resources I should read? (Or if it is really simple, then tell me what needs to be done here?)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Initially, I thought all I'd mod for this game were units and a few basic tactical combat parameters, but it looks like I am doing my own sub-mod after all!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Simple addition and deletion of provinces on the campaign map?

You will need to work with the map_regions graphic file as well.

I started modding because I just wanted to put a general on the balearic islands in RTW so I could build a watchtower there. Freightfully addictive stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post

I started modding because I just wanted to put a general on the balearic islands in RTW so I could build a watchtower there. Freightfully addictive stuff
    Indeed - and now you are the maestro!

You will need to work with the map_regions graphic file as well.
    Darn, that means I guess I have 3 options, as I really want to address this imbalance as it is potentially game-breaking (e.g. France is way too weak relative to England, especially in SS):

1. Purely text file based solution:

I guess I could either/both shrink the settlement sizes for over-represented regions or/and increase them for under-represented regions. This is obviously the easiest solution, though also arguably the most problematic in terms of game-play.

2. Importing a more accurate map (possibly something like SSHIP's version) onto the SS vanilla version of the game I've been modding heavily:

This will force me to change descr. strat file and a few others and would need incredible amount of work.

If I elect to do this, what files will I need to replace?

3. Learning how to edit map_regions graphic file:

In your opinion, how painful would be options #2 and #3 for someone in my position? And which of these two options would you recommend, if the sole criterion is time and effort to implement?

Blog Entries

Option 2 is drastic because it is usually interlinked with descr_strat and most likely the EDB as well.
    Option 3 is not that easy either because you have to be on your toes to remove and then add back all the connected text entries, but this one can be done in steps, eg one region at a time.
    You will get a good idea what is involved if you read up on my tutorial 'basic mapping from scratch' as well as the 'adding detailed regions'. The first one will also give you an intro to using the GIMP graphic editor. In fact I would recommend to give the basic mapping a shot before you try your modifications.

Simply click on my signature to get the links. You might find a couple of other interesting tutorials as well in that collection.

Option 2 is drastic because it is usually interlinked with descr_strat and most likely the EDB as well.
    Option 3 is not that easy either because you have to be on your toes to remove and then add back all the connected text entries, but this one can be done in steps, eg one region at a time.
    You will get a good idea what is involved if you read up on my tutorial 'basic mapping from scratch' as well as the 'adding detailed regions'. The first one will also give you an intro to using the GIMP graphic editor. In fact I would recommend to give the basic mapping a shot before you try your modifications.

Simply click on my signature to get the links. You might find a couple of other interesting tutorials as well in that collection.

Awesome - I am downloading the guide as we speak. Thanks much!

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service