Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad quality leaked footage of WHTW gameplay

Default Re: Bad quality leaked footage of WHTW gameplay

Link for everyone to see, posted by someone on reddit https://gfycat.com/AmbitiousNeighboringInvisiblerail

You know, I wonder if Knights will keep their lances from now on, or switch over to swords like in Medieval II.

Lances are not really fighting weapons, but I allways disliked them warping in and out of existance.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    You know, I wonder if Knights will keep their lances from now on, or switch over to swords like in Medieval II.

Lances are not really fighting weapons, but I allways disliked them warping in and out of existance.
    In the now old fantasy rules, they kept using their lances in melee.
    I have honestly nothing against the warping, for me it just happens some times a bit to fast.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    In the now old fantasy rules, they kept using their lances in melee.
    I have honestly nothing against the warping, for me it just happens some times a bit to fast.
    Oh yeah, rulewise. As there was no (dis)adventage over a regular hand weapon after the charge. Simplifications of the rules and such.
    But "lorewise" people grab their swords in melee.

Fighting with actual side weapons would look cooler than poke-ing the enemy with their lance; but I really, really hate seeing weapons warp in and out of existance. So I'm not sure what solution I'd rather prefer.

That's a good point. I hope they are able to switch when the game releases.

Personally i think lances should break on impact (most of them at least) in the first charge. It'd be nice if their charge bonus got reduced depending on how many lances break during the charge. And you should be able to "replenish" them somehow, perhaps a special unit of sorts (like the camels parthians used to replenish their horse archers' ammo). There are a few units with similar mechanics in attila, archer ships can slow down for 30 seconds to replenish their ammo.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, they could make it so that they left the lances on the ground beside the horses when they dismounted to be picked up again when they mounted back up. Also, if they stayed in melee after the initial charge, they would just drop them to the ground and lose them permanently.

As for them breaking instead, I don't think that would need a "replenish" system, they could just make couched lance charges very powerful but one use only, which would force the player to make more strategical decissions (although you can be pretty sure that that won't happen because "complicated" systems do not go well with casuals).
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; June 28, 2015 at 07:14 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Knights of the White Wolf have the solution to these issues.

Don't use lances.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Or go a step further and do it like the Questing Knights?

Though, I really cant figure out how one would use a two-hander from horse back.

Last edited by Finlander; June 30, 2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Censor Bypass

Citizen

Blog Entries

Though, I really cant figure out how one would use a two-hander from horse back.
    Well, I recall reading somewhere that the landsknechts would use their zweihanders as "short spears" when in close combat (after they had managed to break down the pike formation). Hence the "second handle". There is also this.

In any case, neither of the two seem to be practical at all on horseback, but could be used as a justification (although I fear the only justification Warhammer needs is "because they look badass").
    Last edited by Finlander; July 01, 2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: quote edited

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

lancers attacking in close range without charging is just weird. it 100% needs poking and swiping animations.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    lancers attacking in close range without charging is just weird. it 100% needs poking and swiping animations.
    It can work with a parthian kontos or similar. But a medieval lance...too cumbersome.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Lances should be completely discarded after the first charge. Then knights (and such) should get a reduced but still effective charge bonus.

I'm afraid though with the current animations we've seen that the lances will be glorified spears with no bracing and no side arms.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Well, I recall reading somewhere that the landsknechts would use their zweihanders as "short spears" when in close combat (after they had managed to break down the pike formation). Hence the "second handle". There is also this.

In any case, neither of the two seem to be practical at all on horseback, but could be used as a justification (although I fear the only justification Warhammer needs is "because they look badass").
    Forlorn Hope, form Zweihander Hoplite Formation! :-D

Lances could be replenished like arrows on missile ships in Attila. It might not be perfectly realistic, but should work at least from a gameplay perspective.

Poking the enemy with lances would be silly. I hope it doesn't end up this way.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Well... they could actually add baggage trains.

Seeing skullcrushers poking at the enemy with sticks in melee would feel so bad...i want to see big axes!

The animations are not final...HOPEFULLY. Otherwise many arms will be seen breaking in charges.

whooaaa now, were not trying to innovate some great new game or anything. Your lances come from the warp, accept it toad.

Let's take a look at miniature of Bretonnian King Louen Leoncoeur himself:

What if knights would have such a holder and they could put their lances there and grab swords or whatever they have?
    Would it be looking weird with those lances placed there?
    Idea with breaking lances isn't bad, but it would be quite limiting - only one proper charge per battle?
    Unless only first rank knights would be breaking lances, so later they would switch ranks, positions going at the rear?

In Total War: Warhamer I really hope to see glorious charges of knights trampling enemies into the ground!

Did things like these really exist?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12