Thread: Books on the subject

Indefinitely Banned

Icon5 Books on the subject

I am looking for a few good novels to read to brush up on my knowledge of Warhammer fantasy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Books on the subject

I'd fully recommend the Gotrek and Felix series as your entry way into the old world.

After that, and considering you're a Empire fan, I'd also recommend "Runefang" as that was my first warhammer novel and was highly impressed.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

If you want some of the more fundamental stuff I think the Black Plague trilogy by C.L. Werner should be a good choice. That'll give you some good background on the 12th century, one of the four pivotal periods for the Empire (Sigmar, Mandred, Magnus, and Karl Franz )with interactions of the undead from Sylvania under the dominion of the Necromancer Van Hel, centuries before the arrival of Vlad Von Carstein; Skaven; and a pivotal interregnum caused by the death of Emperor Boris "Gold Gatherer" and ended by the rise of Emperor Mandred "Rat Slayer." Due to confusion about the nature of the enemy, later historians will record the Skaven as chaos tainted rats and Beastmen. Thus the full peril of the subterranean Skaven Empire will not be revealed until the End Times (despite the complaints of the Dwarfs.)

The War of Vengeance trilogy is going to be good for understanding the enduring cold relations of the High Elves and Dwarfs. Nick Kyme, Chris Wraight, and C.L. Werner again are pretty decent.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Indefinitely Banned

Terrific responses. Thank you guys. What about the "lesser known" Lizardmen and Orcs&Goblins. Any good books on them?

Tiro

For greenskins there is a pretty good "Goblin" book named after the main protagonist.
    http://kiwihammer.co.nz/black-librar...view-skarsnik/

But that is mostly that. If you randomly check eBay (or .pdf torrents online) I would suggest getting your hand on the army book of 4th/5th edition
    http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warha...4th_Edition%29
    and 7th edition
    http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warha...7th_Edition%29
    because they include nice stories about the greatest Waaaghs and have nice/funny descriptions for items and units.

-----Red Dox

Senator

For lizardmen, I Burning Shore is pretty good, the second book is about the ogre kingdoms, the main characters florin and Lorenzo are some of my fave.

Indefinitely Banned

Thank you guys for your advice. I have another question as well. Did the Orcs&Goblins ever fight the Lizardmen at any point?

Hmm, not in any encounter I can recall.

The farthest any seafaring orcs and goblins made it in that direction was to Ulthuan.

I just finished my 3rd time withh Vampire Wars it's my favourite, and Mathias Thulmann trilogy is interesting, because I also like Witch Hunter character. Need to start reading Gotrek and Felix.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Hyrule View Post
    Hmm, not in any encounter I can recall.

The farthest any seafaring orcs and goblins made it in that direction was to Ulthuan.

Okay, thanks for the help. I didn't know if they ever encounter one another.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Probably not as good as books, but might give you insight into the worlds are also various different comics books. Some of them are rather bad, some are very good, but there is a lot of them I rescently finished Forge of War comic and it was rather good if you want to get into "Greatswords" etchos. Condemned by Fire was also great if you are into Witch Hunters (also features one hero from Forge of War comics)
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod