Thread: Implementing Xenophonia mod into SSHIP

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Implementing Xenophonia mod into SSHIP

Hi all, just had an idea - a long time ago, a mod called Xenophonia was released for Medieval 2 Total War. That mod made all factions speak their native languages, by using the audio files from the local versions of the game (German, Spanish, French, Italian, etc) and installing them into the English version. Wouldn't it be cool to do something similar in SSHIP? Is there any way we could do something like this too?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Implementing Xenophonia mod into SSHIP

It's possible to do that but would requier a hell of work. Not part of our project for now.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I remember doing this for my own mod quite a while back.. it wasn't actually that difficult. But when users in here are already complaining because we use faction names in native language, I doubt everyone would be happy with completely native speaking factions.

Wow... This would be great actualy IF it is possible, assuming time puted in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    I remember doing this for my own mod quite a while back.. it wasn't actually that difficult. But when users in here are already complaining because we use faction names in native language, I doubt everyone would be happy with completely native speaking factions.
    Could also open up a can of worms for factions which don't have native language files, or at least not an exact match. For example, will the Aragonese speak Spanish, and if so how annoyed would Aragonese and Catalan nationalists be?

Senator

I think we should introduce a Xenophobia mod. Where all the Islamic factions are just "terrorist", the French surrender, and all the English units can only drink tea.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

A Xenophonia mod would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I think we should introduce a Xenophobia mod. Where all the Islamic factions are just "terrorist"
    Lol, CA already pretty much did that with the Muslim factions 'voice'. The phrases are very bloodthirsty and inaccurate. "Infidels to kill, Sultan?" It doesn't reflect the actual nature of Islamic culture and civilisation in that period at all, which was highly civilised and much more tolerant than the western nations of the time. Tbh, the Muslim faction voice acting needs to be started again from scratch. Separate voices should be implemented for the Turks and the Arab factions, since they are completely different and don't even speak the same language. And the general tone should be much more chivalrous and honourable. For example, the Byzantine 'voice' seems pretty honourable. The Arab and Turkish voices should be like that, too. I seem to remember in the old Rome Total Realism mod, the modding community actually recorded its own audio for the voices of the various factions. There's no reason the same couldn't be done for Medieval 2.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; October 22, 2015 at 08:20 AM.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    "Infidels to kill, Sultan?" It doesn't reflect the actual nature of Islamic culture and civilisation in that period at all, which was highly civilised and much more tolerant than the western nations of the time.
    The age of tolerant Islam was already over by the 11th century and was replaced by various other, far less tolerant, narratives of Islam.

The movie El Cid pictures this perfectly;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCG5-7E7Ao

But you are absolutely right, the Muslim voices are like caricatures, they should have just hired a couple of Arab speakers and make them say poetic stuff.
    Would probably cost the same if not even less(if they hired much cheaper voice actors from the Middle East).

To be fair, all voices could be a lot better.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I wouldn't change the hilariously bad German voices for anything.

YAAA KAISAAAAR AJ WLLL GOOOOO
    YOU ARE NOT MY KAISAAAAAR

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    To be fair, all voices could be a lot better.
    I dunno, I quite like the princess voices... Very sexy!

But yes, characters speaking their own language is always going to be more realistic

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

This is a minor complaint, but speaking of voices, I noticed that Armenian units use Muslim voices

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I think we should introduce a Xenophobia mod. Where all the Islamic factions are just "terrorist", the French surrender, and all the English units can only drink tea.
    Also the Russians are permanently allied with the rebels, and plague is replaced by "Collateral damage from American bombing"

Quote Originally Posted by Swarbs View Post
    Also the Russians are permanently allied with the rebels, and plague is replaced by "Collateral damage from American bombing"
    I've often thought about a modern conversion mod for Medieval 2 Total War. I once posted a "campaign map/faction selection" screenshot, similar to the menu screen in Total War where you choose which faction you are going to play (Egypt, Turks, etc). I suggested a map based on the war against ISIS in Iraq and Syria might make for a good setting for a Total War campaign. There are lots of factions to choose from - Syrian rebels, Kurdish militia, Iranian Shia militia, Iraqi forces, ISIS units, Turkish military, Syrian government, Al Nusra Front, etc. The situation is highly fragmented, and any faction could potentially build an empire in that region. Perfect setting for a M2TW campaign mod!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

You're almost off-topic Mate
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Does anyone have a download link to that mod? Everyone I come across are unfortunately dead.