Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Azhag quest battle video released

Default Azhag quest battle video released

Shows some low-tier Bretonnian units and some nifty magic. Winds of magic gauge looks good with available pool and wind strength next to it.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Azhag quest battle video released

Well, I really want to like this game, but that fails to get me excited about it, to be honest.

To my eyes, this looks like a very well done total conversion mod for Attila, does not really feel like a brand new game made big a big studio. When zoomed out (save for the ocassional flying unit and mediocre spell effects), I just can barely tell the difference from this and Attila or even Rome 2. Gameplay looks boderline identical.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; February 29, 2016 at 06:57 AM.

Why does the AI insist on attacking in waves, it was like this in the thundering falls battle. It throws all strategy out of the window when you don't have to divide before you conquer.
    I hope this is purely due to them being quest battles, because Rome 2 used to send units at you in a piecemeal manner. empire was the last game that I remember that used to try and hold a proper battle line and attack as one.

Charging light cavalry with no support at a fortified enemy, bad AI.

Fast battle, if the bretonnians had attacked as one the battle would be done in 5 or 6 minutes.

Looks good though.

not very good impressions:
    -very very clonish bretonnians men and units
    -horribles trail particles
    -very few units and men per unit
    -absolutly not epic

Well it's always going to look like a mod, being the first fantasy TW (not including Rome 1). Question is whether it's different enough to qualify the hefty £50 price tag. Judging by that vid I'd say in terms of graphics it was sub-par, but generally warscape does daylight battles very poorly. To use theatre parlance they use a very broad wash and it's looks weird. Also the battlefields are very Rome 2; TT has more varied terrain (ruins, Towers etc) that provide interesting battles. Also, I release it was an early quest chain battle but slow the damn battles down!

Trail particles are optional, Panzershreck.
    Last edited by Markas; February 29, 2016 at 07:11 AM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Trail particles are optional, Panzershreck.
    yes luckely! My main concerns since the beginning are the size of units and their number, clonish men and too few units variety

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    Well, I really want to like this game, but that fails to get me excited about it, to be honest.

To my eyes, this looks like a very well done total conversion mod for Attila, does not really feel like a brand new game made big a big studio. When zoomed out (save for the ocassional flying unit and mediocre spell effects), I just can barely tell the difference from this and Attila or even Rome 2. Gameplay looks boderline identical.
    yup, exactly.

I also wonder are these Yeomen scripted to blindly charge the numerically superior enemies without the main forces support? cause that looked very-very dumb and retarded (Hard difficulty, lol).

Brettonians do look nice, at least what I glimpsed from this 80%-of-the-time-zoomed-out video with horrible graphic settings too (not sure this is a good way to advertise the game, or they're hiding bad stuff as always)

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

-music was tasty
    -impacts were good
    - dat ui
    - magic is good
    - guard mode!

- graphics look crispy
    - too fast and too small units, that's easy to mod though

Looks good however! I'm keen to get my hands on this.

Also this battle looked totally different from thundering falls. Must be the lighting.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; February 29, 2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

Decanus

This series hasn't innovated once since Empire. The closest thing to actual new content came with Fall of the Samurai. I could be watching a video for Empire here. Same ugly landscapes, same embarrassingly small unit sizes, same ugly effects and trails (I know they can be turned off, but if that's the best trail they can come up with it's pretty poor), same boring music, same ugly units, same dumb AI (cavalry charged without the main army why?), same non-existent collision detection, same old disappointment.

The Total War series is dead. This video is so scripted you'd have to be a corpse to not realise, and even being so scripted it still looks crap. I'll reiterate what I said for Rome II a couple of years ago - it reeks of amateur.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Question is whether it's different enough to qualify the hefty £50 price tag.
    If the model set by Starcraft 2 (which I believe CA has adopted) is of any reference, then the price to justify would be ~150£ (and what I mean by that is that the starcraft trilogy is by no means composed of three grand full games, it's instead just an excuse to trick customers into paying three times for one game to cover the increased development costs, although at least Starcraft 2 was a new game and not just a re-skinned Warcraft 3).

At least I hope that the huge revenue they are going to get from this whole Warhammer deal is used to make the next TW installment truly new and revolutionary. Otherwise I'll show them the way to join Blizzard in the pantheon of previously worshipped devs gone meh.

I also wonder are these Yeomen scripted to blindly charge the numerically superior enemies without the main forces support? cause that looked very-very dumb and retarded (Hard difficulty, lol).

Brettonians do look nice, at least what I glimpsed from this 80%-of-the-time-zoomed-out video with horrible graphic settings too (not sure this is a good way to advertise the game, or they're hiding bad stuff as always)

What I found funny is how they kind of shoot themselves in the foot by intentionally deploying back there, achieving nothing but to highlight the poor AI, which just charges in waves with no infantry support and without waiting for the now out-ranged artillery. Bretonnians could have just gathered and just sit back enjoying the view of their trebuchets smashing the orc army to pieces with a rain of boulders.

In any case, scripted battles have never been representative of the real deal (the Agincourt demo for Medieval 2 comes to my mind).
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; February 29, 2016 at 02:14 PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    not very good impressions:
    -very very clonish bretonnians men and units
    -horribles trail particles
    -very few units and men per unit
    -absolutly not epic
    You do realize you can change unit size right?

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I like it ^^

And guys it is Yeoman cav. the single piece worst cav. unit in warhammer.....
    they can charge snotlings and still lose..

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    -music was tasty
    -impacts were good
    - dat ui
    - magic is good
    - guard mode!

- graphics look crispy
    - too fast and too small units, that's easy to mod though

Looks good however! I'm keen to get my hands on this.
    You're not allowed to like Total War around these parts.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

That's why twc is a dead forum

warl0rd13's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    I like it ^^

And guys it is Yeoman cav. the single piece worst cav. unit in warhammer.....
    they can charge snotlings and still lose..
    I thought Centigors were the worst cav?
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.
    Silias "Twitch Tethers, Ordonian ranger

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

It looks like a warhammer mod for Atilla. So it looks great.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by warl0rd13 View Post
    I thought Centigors were the worst cav?
    Touche Ó_Ò

I am as GW forgetting beastmen all the time.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Imperator Artorius's Avatar Miles

As others have implied, there is a sad lack of innovation and/or progress here. It looks like your average fast paced 2000-3000 a side (if that in this video) skirmish with the battle decided more by micro and reflexes. With the exception of some Warhammer fantasy fluff, I dont think its all that much we haven't seen before. Ofc, all this has been apparent from the very first footage of Warhammer TW.

Assuming it releases in a good state and isnt DLC whored pink, the fact its a TW game will make it a good game by general standards, but the lack of innovation in battles seen since the introduction of Warscape/TW3 whatever you want to call it is ever more apparent.

That said, the map itself looked like it would be interesting to play on against a human opponent, definitely some cool terrain features like the valley and stream that I wish were in the maps for your random campaign battles, and the collision, or at least what we could see it when the camera wasnt all over the place looked improved.

warl0rd13's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Touche Ó_Ò

I am as GW forgetting beastmen all the time.
    Some day my beastie boys and chaos dorfs will rise above their jobber tiers and get their time in the sun. I mean, CA wouldn't treat them like Squats right?

...Right?
    Stabber, Ikanan teen.
    Silias "Twitch Tethers, Ordonian ranger

Quote Originally Posted by warl0rd13 View Post
    Some day my beastie boys and chaos dorfs will rise above their jobber tiers and get their time in the sun. I mean, CA wouldn't treat them like Squats right?

...Right?
    just as they did with tomb kings right..........

RIGHT!!!!!

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast