Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will this run better then Atilla?

Default Re: Will this run better then Atilla?

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Then we may as well forget any semblance of player freedom and just have it so your faction has to enact history exactly every turn, or just make some factions invincible until their historic defeat date. People have been criticizing Warhammer for using lore reasons for regional occupation but this historical reasoning would be a that times ten.

I'm surprised people actually want less historical authenticity and breadth and glad the 'we' you refer to are a tiny minority.
    The problem is, this game is a sandbox game. With Rome 2, you often had some insignigicant tribe, with a limited roster and boring design taking over large chunks of the map. It took any real historical authenticity from the game, especially when playing as parthia and you see the romans getting conquered by the Etruscans.

I prefer fewer factions with a good design, rather than cloning a faction so many times which uses the exact same units over and over and over. Attila was even worse. Every barbarian faction was spamming full stack light spearmen.

Warhammer though will be different. Clone factions wont be positioned all in the same area of the map. I just hope the AI will use more than one unit type in their army.
    Last edited by Roboute Guilliman; February 25, 2016 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roboute Guilliman View Post
    The problem is, this game is a sandbox game. With Rome 2, you often had some insignigicant tribe, with a limited roster and boring design taking over large chunks of the map. It took any real historical authenticity from the game, especially when playing as parthia and you see the romans getting conquered by the Etruscans.
    That's historical accuracy or historicity really, and any form of it is always going to be moot from turn one onward. So an insignificant tribe with a short roster becomes a large empire? so? I'd far rather that than like in TW games from ETW onwards where the same factions tend to do have exactly the same fates (Bye Crimean Khanate in turn 1...). MTW1 was wonderfully unpredictable, I had two games where two factions took 80% of the map. It wasn't accurate or perhaps even reasonable but it made for an exciting, memorable game.

I prefer fewer factions with a good design, rather than cloning a faction so many times which uses the exact same units over and over and over. Attila was even worse. Every barbarian faction was spamming full stack light spearmen.
    Really though how different were many of the ethnic groups in terms of units, even the more recognizable ones? How much do we know about them? If we know next to nothing do we make stuff up? It's fine having historical authenticity but this was a time that was referred to as the Dark Ages in Western Europe where written descriptions of many of the factions will be quite thin on the ground. If they commanded a large swath of territory do we ignore/remove them as we know relatively little about them? Better just to make a reasonable guess imo.

Warhammer though will be different. Clone factions wont be positioned all in the same area of the map. I just hope the AI will use more than one unit type in their army.
    AI unit composition has been an issue yeah, like your example of Light Spearman spam. Needs a solid AI to make that army work together on the battlefield I guess.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post

Really though how different were many of the ethnic groups in terms of units, even the more recognizable ones? How much do we know about them? If we know next to nothing do we make stuff up? It's fine having historical authenticity but this was a time that was referred to as the Dark Ages in Western Europe where written descriptions of many of the factions will be quite thin on the ground. If they commanded a large swath of territory do we ignore/remove them as we know relatively little about them? Better just to make a reasonable guess imo.
    Really? You are aware that from england to russia, Attila total war had the same units for every barbarian faction at launch. Just months later with DLC, did they add respective rosters for slavs, picts, britons and making the germanic tribes more diverse. Facing germanic spearmen non stop is really boring. If warhammer will be the same, I will ask for a refund and get the game later when they actually finished it. I don't like playing a beta with placeholders.

The number of factions has been over the top. You invade one with ease, while the neighbouring tribes just watch waiting for their turn. In medieval 2/ rome1 you would face empires at one point. Rome 2 and Attila, its all about the next two region sized tribe with their respective low tier units just waiting to get stomped.

Don't have Attila so can't really comment. Sure in Rome1 and Med 2 you faced empires but these were massive homogeneous ethnic groups slung together, like the 'Gaul' faction. I'm sure you recall the howling from the usual crowd over that, plus it lead to steamrolling and very little mid-late game challenge. Far prefer the many factions, tbh.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

the perfect solution would be for the CAI to be capable of huge empires and not just 1 or 2 city states. a small faction conquering is totally fine, but I want it to be the next empire, not fracturing to tiny states so easily. this would also alleviate the huge end turn times as the AI super empire gobbles up tiny city states. and it will also provide mid and end game for the player without the forced realm divide game mechanic that some of us hate so much. I for one hate rebellions. just a stupid crutch for mid and end game. so glad CA made it moddable. I am sure I would refund any future game with a hardlock on rebellion.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Senator

Attila for me felt bare bones, lack of factions vs Rome IIs. Shogun 2 had the problem of lack of Roster without DLC, but you have a rather complete game with them all, and you didn't have to deal with 115 minor factions, so least all of the factions were playable. Sure Rome II has over 100 factions, but most of them are cookie clutter factions with bare bones roster, it's always sad to see rome get taken out within 25 turns in all of my campaigns, only for Etruscan league in all of my games to have like 60% of the map.

Well, least we have less Races, but more unique units, 4 playable races at the start with Chaos being the 5th. I just hope the turn time isn't stupid long with all these minor races

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roboute Guilliman View Post

With a better AI it should be able to pick a army that have multiple units in their army to provide more of a challenge. At least we hope anyhow.

No.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: Will this run better then At

Quote Originally Posted by shabbiscatawn View Post
    i could possibly see it run some games before buying,,,,i might just wait and see if anything else better comes along,,,would it only take adding a graphics card to get this system playing games good? or would it benefit from a ram upgrade as well?
    until CA says warhammer is 64 bit and an independent person confirms that it is not worth having more than 8 GB ram [4 GB ram for windows 4 GB ram for game]
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by Deedlit View Post
    Will it support FXAA?
    No, it supports MLAA, MSAAx2, MSAAx4 and MSAAx8. At least currently in beta, anyway.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...r-quick-q-a/p1

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    until CA says warhammer is 64 bit and an independent person confirms that it is not worth having more than 8 GB ram [4 GB ram for windows 4 GB ram for game]

Looks like you got your wish about them going 64bit.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Looks like you got your wish about them going 64bit.
    hhaha yeah I putted a little pressure upon CA
    just kidding
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12