Thread: Need tips defending chokepoints

Default Need tips defending chokepoints

I am starting to wonder if I have this mod properly installed, I am seeing a few combat anomalies.
    It might just be par for the course with the game engine , you tell me.

My biggest problem is that I can't seem to be able to defend any strategic chokepoints, be it city gates or bridges, the AI seems to be able to just jam all their units in and ''walk'' into my guys, this should be making them take a lot of casualties (just like it would if I did that) but instead as soon as they walk past the first rank my units start melting.

Does anyone have a way to counter this? I am only about 130 turns into my first game so I have tried defending with Sworded mail knights ( shield wall doesnt seem to help), spear militias, spearmen, mailed knights , general bodyguards, axed mailed knights and axed militias on VH/VH.

also are the unit cards for sworded mail knights supposed to be the same as axed mail knights? I installed the short version of 0.9, coudnt find a link for a long version , maybe I am missing some parts of the mod.

Cavalry seems OP vs. infantry as well, like sending mail knights into shield wall sworded mail knights without charging and decimating the unit while losing 6 guys OP.

Any other combat tips are appreciated, and this is not a critisism of the mod, I think I either have set it up wrong or am just noob at combat.

Thank you

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need tips defending chokepoints

I don't think you messed up something. It looks that you're pointing a problem already mentioned. Some adjsutments about the units stats still has to be done. Beside that, there's also some animations that seem to not work properly. Both will be fixed but will also requier time.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Merci Beaucoup!

Also I didnt mean to put pressure on you, I coudnt find reference to my problems in the forum so I decided to make a thread.
    Maybe we can keep this going as a combat tips compilation thread.

Unless ample ressources exist for that as well.... there I go again...

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Well, I leave it like that for now as some players can post tips that might help new players
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

chokepoints make the enemy pile up in a single place and they are useless to hold if you have nothing to throw in there, concentrating all your firepower where the enemy force is dense is very effective, catapults and mangonels are great in street fights, i find mangonels to be kinda too dangerous so i mostly use catapults

see the creenshots in post #3 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post14890425

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

In Medieval 1 there was a 'crowd' negative bonus feature :
    if 2 soldiers are placed to close each other (closer than 1 meter as far as I remember from dev blogs - whatever it means) then these soldiers got negative attack / def bonus.
    So defending choke points even without missle units was possible - enemy unit embossing one over another in bridge or gate got negative bonuses.

But I don't know if these feature works in M:TW2 .

ps.: some memories ...
    Anyway, Medieval : TW I is a great & beautiful & challenging game. Go with Redux mod - it's great http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...dux-%28Beta%29 .
    The strategic AI is the Best among all TW series. With Redux mod it's really strategic chess board. AI is also properly using fleets, naval invasion, land invasions, etc. Its just great.
    The battle AI is very very good & also higly possibly the best from all TW.

Check one of my the best battles from all TWs - it has strategic background & tactical video & description.
    www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?190721-Medieval-Total-War-Redux-(Beta)&p=14231235&viewfull=1#post14231235

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Kinda necrobump?

When defending gates and the whatnot, you need a reserve to either cycle out your units as best possible, or to smash into the enemy once the first enemy is worn down.

Generally, that's going to mean have a unit of heavy infantry available to strike the flank or a heavy cavalry to hit head-on once you can pull an engaged unit out of the melee
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.