Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: According to Steam Spy only 300 k units sold

Senator

Default Re: According to Steam Spy only 300 k units sold

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy Dave View Post
    Sorry mate, but you need to take wikipedia with a pinch of salt. In that case the quote comes from a quote from Eurogamer who are quoting what CA are saying...and CA are going to say that, aren't they. Whether what they're saying is true or not, is up to you to decide. Think back to what they told you about Rome 2 prior to release and after release...? Still feel like trusting what CA tells you?

Anyway, Steam spy has sales up to 400 k now - so there might be some truth in what they say.

But what's more important than the spin they're putting on this - which is CA's goal, to spin it for marketing - is that sales prior to release day were clearly low. Like I said, in my OP, people were clearly holding off their pre-order. I think on release day they had 200 k sales. Four days later that's doubled. Which is interesting. But no matter what spin CA put on this, and what spin the games sites willingly report for them, this isn't a story about how they've sold 500 k units in 4 days. This is a story about how they DIDN'T sell 500 k units in pre-orders. Which is excellent news. It seems many customers really don't trust CA's releases any more. I'm not bothered about how many sales they get, how many sales they have...there's already too much drama on this site. I'm only interested in what appears to be really low pre-orders. This would explain why they opted to extend the cut content chaos marketing bull for a week after release.

So basically guys, well done. You didn't pre-order. I think that's damn fine behaviour from the fanbase. What you do with your money now, is up to you. But the fact that CA can't rely on your money before they release a game sends them a strong message. One which they must definitely have been noticed.

(Just for your comparison about what kind of pre-orders companies with loyal fanbases can enjoy -XCOM 2 had a solid 650-700 k units sold in pre-orders before release - it's probably a smaller fanbase to Warhammer and TW combined -yet they had very high pre-order sales. Since release the number of owners has increased slowly, so most owners bought theirs before or at release. That's the kind of buying pattern CA used to rely on. Not anymore, it would seem. Thank God)

Or maybe, just maybe People brought it post release because the Chaos Warriors are free for the 1st week and there was no particular reason to pre order it anymore.

Sorry mate, but you need to take wikipedia with a pinch of salt. In that case the quote comes from a quote from Eurogamer who are quoting what CA are saying...and CA are going to say that, aren't they. Whether what they're saying is true or not, is up to you to decide. Think back to what they told you about Rome 2 prior to release and after release...? Still feel like trusting what CA tells you?

Anyway, Steam spy has sales up to 400 k now - so there might be some truth in what they say.

But what's more important than the spin they're putting on this - which is CA's goal, to spin it for marketing - is that sales prior to release day were clearly low. Like I said, in my OP, people were clearly holding off their pre-order. I think on release day they had 200 k sales. Four days later that's doubled. Which is interesting. But no matter what spin CA put on this, and what spin the games sites willingly report for them, this isn't a story about how they've sold 500 k units in 4 days. This is a story about how they DIDN'T sell 500 k units in pre-orders. Which is excellent news. It seems many customers really don't trust CA's releases any more. I'm not bothered about how many sales they get, how many sales they have...there's already too much drama on this site. I'm only interested in what appears to be really low pre-orders. This would explain why they opted to extend the cut content chaos marketing bull for a week after release.

So basically guys, well done. You didn't pre-order. I think that's damn fine behaviour from the fanbase. What you do with your money now, is up to you. But the fact that CA can't rely on your money before they release a game sends them a strong message. One which they must definitely have been noticed.

(Just for your comparison about what kind of pre-orders companies with loyal fanbases can enjoy -XCOM 2 had a solid 650-700 k units sold in pre-orders before release - it's probably a smaller fanbase to Warhammer and TW combined -yet they had very high pre-order sales. Since release the number of owners has increased slowly, so most owners bought theirs before or at release. That's the kind of buying pattern CA used to rely on. Not anymore, it would seem. Thank God)
    Xcom 2 only sold 560k in its first week, the idea they had 650k preorders us laughable, the original only sold about 2 .5 million and you think they had a nearly 1 in 4 preorder rate?

You're making stuff up, at least be honest and research what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    Or maybe, just maybe People brought it post release because the Chaos Warriors are free for the 1st week and there was no particular reason to pre order it anymore.
    Hes talking nonsense, he can't even bother to research what he's saying. Xcom 2 didn't even sell 600k in its first week let alone 700k worth of preorders. It's easy for people like him to lie to suit his own narrative.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; May 29, 2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: merged double post

Tiro

XCOM2 has now around 800k sold (since february), according to steamspy.
    The press are saying XCOM2 sold around 500k in his first week
    http://n4g.com/news/1862760/xcom-2-s...he-tomb-raider
    And you are telling us the preorder numbers were around 650-700k?
    For a person so determined to say that CA & the press are spinning a tale around their numbers, it is kinda suspicious to see an argument like above.

Which is interesting. But no matter what spin CA put on this, and what spin the games sites willingly report for them, this isn't a story about how they've sold 500 k units in 4 days.
    You forget the retail boxes they sell. Every shipped TWW game lying around in a supermarket shelf, is still sold. If you have 400k activated on steam, and many of these were assumed online keys sold, it is entirly possible that worldwide around 100k games are gathering dust, waiting to be unwrapped and activated.

-----Red Dox

petertel123's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ataegina View Post
    since we've now magic and flying units and stuff it would be a good time to have Total War - Westeros (GoT) ^___^
    ...Which would not likely have either of those things :p

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dox View Post
    Maybe just give it a month before looking at the numbers? Atilla is around 720k after over a year and several sales (including a Humble Bundle if I remember correctly) for comparision.
    I mean it is not even a week yet and 300k in two days (yes, including the "Will never ever preorder from CA again" folks) sounds not that bad.

sidenote: Stellaris had an headstart but is also "only" by 380k. After all, TWW & Stellaris *are* PC niche games and not the yearly CoD/AssCreed brainbuster salesmachines for console fans

-----Red Dox
    Stellaris was also way more shallow than TW:W. God I got burned on that game purchase. Should've known better than to think Paradox could do a radically different genre great off the bat.

To the main topic, SteamSpy defiantly underreports their margin of error. For instance their peak concurrent users was about 20,000 less than it actually was by looking at the steam community hub, and of course could be even greater of a margin as that wasn't the peak, just when i happened to accidentially click the cancer that was the steam forums, the only place that gets more salty and angry about new games vs perceived nostalgia than here.

Lastly, no TW:GoT, they styles completely clash. An authentic TW:GoT would be you
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    winning every single battle you participated in, then getting a campaign loss becuase an pervy old man had you shanked at a dinner party.
    Last edited by irisheagle; May 29, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
    People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
    -Dan Quayle

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

I think everyone in internet is already aware that wikipedia is not accurate. But i can try to say "according to so-and-so reliable source" next time.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Noncense. CA/SEGA knew exactly what to do. In that company REALISED that they lost the confidence of TW hardcore fans with the last two unfinished and rediculus games.
    But they were well aware that Warhammer as a title has a HUGE fan base that covers vast part of TW players as well.
    CA/SEGA developers found a way to find new "audience" and move away from historical titles for a while untill their TOTAL humiliation with Rome II and Attila will be forgoten.
    They hope that they will find what went wrong FREE OF CHARGE through the modders efforts and then use that FREE material to sell us a new historical title.
    That is so simple...nothing more nothing less.
    Since buying a new fantasy title would be expensive and time consumming to build, I strongly believe that Medeival III Total War will be next.
    In fact CA/SEGA no found a way to solve siege AI incapabillity with a new weapon! Magic! Who says that magic does not fit in a historical title?
    CA/SEGA re-wrote the entire human history -not to mention physics and logic- in Attila, and will back on magic?
    Um, Attila is considered one of the best TW games. Really the only TW game better is Shogun II.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Um, Attila is considered one of the best TW games. Really the only TW game better is Shogun II.
    Says who? You? Take a look in the M2TW threads and count those that are still there with the one that visit the Attila threads!
    NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    Attila is wonderfull for those that were incapable of winning a single siege assault in RTW and M2TW games. That is why they are happy when walls fall of their own!
    In older threads we counted 200 features of both RTW and M2TW/Kingdoms that Rome II and Attila did not have even as a thought!
    Having good graphics does not make a TW game better. Even MTW-1 has more sophisticated CAI than Rome II and Attila!
    I like Attila horses very much but horses are no a game! How is Attila better game?
    1: Having ONE AND ONLY ONE settlement model per size and culture?
    2: Have so STUPID siege AI that can not use siege equipment and wait walls to fall of their own?
    3: AI horsemen DO NOT DISMOUNT to take part in the siege assault?
    4: Roman Emperors fight on foot?
    5: Diplomacy does not include pribe on enemy vassals?
    6: You CAN NOT assault an enemy ship and keep it as yours (like in ETW)?
    7: All city walls are re-textured Rome II Celtic walls?
    8: Roman and Sassanid towers are direct coppies of Age of Empires II ones?
    9: Settlements have walls in their last tier but with HUGE openings to allow AI to invade without crasshing its units to the aufull pathfinding ?
    10: When you can NOT ORDER a friendly re-inforcement army what to do in the battlefield (something M2TW/Kingdoms has for 11 years now)?
    DO YOU WISH more reasons why ATTILA is a great game for all OTHER TW GAMES LOSERS AND ONLY FOR THEM?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by petertel123 View Post
    ...Which would not likely have either of those things :p
    People wanting ASIAOF TW are really weird. Like CA would have to make up 95% of the units and it wouldn't really be any different than MTW3 aside from ridiculous licensing fees. Very sad GRRM sold out (though season 1 was extremely good which isn't surprising as it was the most loyal adaptation of the series.), because the show has turned at this point and is on walking dead levels of popular/terrible and showrunners have proven their hackiness over and over whenever they attempt to inject their own /agenda.
    Last edited by Lugo; May 30, 2016 at 04:47 AM.

Says who? You? Take a look in the M2TW threads and count those that are still there with the one that visit the Attila threads!
    NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    Attila is wonderfull for those that were incapable of winning a single siege assault in RTW and M2TW games. That is why they are happy when walls fall of their own!
    In older threads we counted 200 features of both RTW and M2TW/Kingdoms that Rome II and Attila did not have even as a thought!
    Having good graphics does not make a TW game better. Even MTW-1 has more sophisticated CAI than Rome II and Attila!
    I like Attila horses very much but horses are no a game! How is Attila better game?
    2: Have so STUPID siege AI that can not use siege equipment and wait walls to fall of their own?
    9: Settlements have walls in their last tier but with HUGE openings to allow AI to invade without crasshing its units to the aufull pathfinding ?
    10: When you can NOT ORDER a friendly re-inforcement army what to do in the battlefield (something M2TW/Kingdoms has for 11 years now)?
    DO YOU WISH more reasons why ATTILA is a great game for all OTHER TW GAMES LOSERS AND ONLY FOR THEM?
    Geez did I trigger you?

And ewww, you're comparing Attila with Medieval II and Rome, games that have so many AI problems it's not funny. People only think Medieval II and Rome is the best because moddability and nostalgia. I'm just going to answer the first two since the rest are either game design choices or are grasping at straws comparable with the whole "Romans didn't wear those kinds of sandals" thing.
    1. There are at least 40 settlement variations. That's a decent amount considering they have to spend time making each map. I don't know about Rome II (because I haven't counted the settlement variations), but that's more than any previous game.
    2. I don't know what you're talking about, the AI can use siege equipment. It's problem, like in all games before it, is the AI reusing that siege equipment.

Please enlight us...
    HOW MANY tier 1 Eastern Roman villages are IN GAME?
    Post their pictures and minimaps here...
    I play both Attila and Rome II.
    About AI....Why the 2nd AI controled siege army does NOT have siege equipment of its own in both Rome II and Attila?
    Moddable ....thats interesting... But playing Rome 1 in H/H dificulty i had to defend MY HUGE city against 3 AI controled armies that spawned in diferent sides of the city walls and EACH one of it used:
    2 Rams
    4 ladders
    2 siege towers
    2 tunnels
    2 onagers

Have you EVER saw such a siege in "vanilla" Rome II and Attila?
    I haven't!! In fact AI in both games is so stupid that CA/SEGA wise guys made their advance easier by demolishing walls and towers magicaly openings gaps in defences.
    Not to mention the Rome II stupid idea that units were masacred because they tried to burn down gates with torches!
    So...do not compare rubish (Rome II and Attila) with Purls (Rome 1 and M2TW/Kingdoms).
    Atleast the AI in M2TW was smart enough to use intact siege equipment (rams, ladders and towers) to the NEXT line of wall!!!
    Instead Attila 3/4 of settlements HAVE NO WALLS and when they get some they are not COMPLETE!!!!

EDIT: I can not judge Warhammer because I haven't play it yet. But now Warhammer is released i expect a new patch in Attila with a new siege tactic and weapon!

If that was what you have in mind of how a TW game should be ENJOY!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; May 30, 2016 at 08:11 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Fastest selling total war to date.

Wow I really did trigger you

There are 3-4 plains ERE unwalled settlements. 2 port ERE unwalled settlements and a river settlement. And what you just described is what we like to call an anecdote.
    The AI and player has so many problems in those "Purly" games. When charging, units will stop, then walk to the enemy and many can attest to this (and that's before anyone in the unit has even been in contact with the enemy).
    A unit defending a castle just standing there while an arquebus, 20ft away, continuously fires at it.
    Units using siege towers not all jumping onto the wall, leaving half of them trying to take the wall and the other half hanging out in the siege tower.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Just to add some perspective...

I've played every total war game and expansion since the original Shogun Total War. Any every single release has had the exact same arguments and counter-arguments, the same debates attempting to interpret what constitutes an accurate representation of realism in video games, accusations of disrespecting an imaginary "fan base," accusations of greed (as though all companies don't exist to explicitly make money), gross misinterpretations and speculation about CA/Sega's business model that has absolutely no basis in business, economics, or marketing theory, and people calling for boycotts and/or demonstrating a near psychotic view of themselves as having influence over both the forums here and the direction of the game when clearly there is none.

It's literally, almost word for word, the same exact nonsense every single time. Also, I almost forgot, every few years the benchmark for what was considered the "best" total war game shifts forward. At one time, it was the original STW. Then it advanced to MTW. Then for many years it was RTW. (Even though RTW was a mess on release with bugs, anachronistic units and factions, and sloppy game mechanics.) Then it shifted to M2TW. Then shifted and remained on S2TW. And now some people even say R2TW was the pinnacle.

It's all the same convoluted, vomitus mass of perceived slights being passed back and forth ad infinitum.

Senator

CA designed their game around the AI's limitations and gameplay, and it shows in the game. The AI is challenging, flanks aggressively and surrounds your units in TW:WH. The CAI is reasonable more often than not, and you are given several diplomatic options like confederation which were not present in the pinnacle of medieval 2.

Medieval 2 has several modding threads in TWCenter because for a long time Medieval 2 has been modded extensively by the community itself and it doesn't have the equivalent of a steam workshop page. TW:WH has been out for a week, and attila has been out for a year. It is pretty ing stupid to expect that they will have a modding scene that is as large or extensive as Medieval 2.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; May 31, 2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: unnecessary comment removed

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Fastest selling total war to date.
    As i mentioned in my 1st post in this thread. CA/SEGA acted in a very smart way. It changed the fan base of its game. Many TW fans are also fans of Warhammer "universe". Also Warhammer fans had to wait decades for a real "strategy" version of the game. So CA/SEGA did exactly this. It may be the company's best seller. I wont argue with that.
    Wow I really did trigger you

There are 3-4 plains ERE unwalled settlements. 2 port ERE unwalled settlements and a river settlement. And what you just described is what we like to call an anecdote.
    The AI and player has so many problems in those "Purly" games. When charging, units will stop, then walk to the enemy and many can attest to this (and that's before anyone in the unit has even been in contact with the enemy).
    A unit defending a castle just standing there while an arquebus, 20ft away, continuously fires at it.
    Units using siege towers not all jumping onto the wall, leaving half of them trying to take the wall and the other half hanging out in the siege tower.
    Than be kind to us and show them in pictures.
    In all those douzens of hours and campaigns i saw ONE shape settlement in every size and culture.
    Be better and luckier than me and find more...BUT SHOW THEM TO US, not just talk!

Senator

As i mentioned in my 1st post in this thread. CA/SEGA acted in a very smart way. It changed the fan base of its game. Many TW fans are also fans of Warhammer "universe". Also Warhammer fans had to wait decades for a real "strategy" version of the game. So CA/SEGA did exactly this. It may be the company's best seller. I wont argue with that.

In all those douzens of hours and campaigns i saw ONE shape settlement in every size and culture.
    Be better and luckier than me and find more...BUT SHOW THEM TO US, not just talk!
    Or you could just check the game files with PFM or the modding tools

NOT EVEN CLOSE!
    I know man, it's literally the worst.

Is it sad that I got most of those layout memorised, including the best tactics to use for any situation?
    About half my battles were fought on these streets in Attila. For a thing supposed to reduce the number of siege battles, IMO unwalled settlements only made it worse by making the AI attack only the same types of settlements. Also, I miss fighting on walls, the AI has a fear of my cities once I fortify them. To me though, the number of layouts is too damn low and I wish I could see more. So sad Warhammer has even less variety.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast