Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: According to Steam Spy only 300 k units sold

Zephyrus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: According to Steam Spy only 300 k units sold

ASOAIF is the perfect universe for Total War, especially after they pulled off the Total Warhammer graphics and animations. Dragons, 7 Great Houses, each as an individual faction, Dothraki as horde factions. Perfectly achievable and they wouldn't have to make as many skeletons or animations besides White Walkers, COTF, and Dragons. Diplomacy as a throwback to Total War Eras games can be done.
    SEMPER FIDELIS Remember Constantinople Κωνσταντινούπολη

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
    ASOAIF is the perfect universe for Total War, especially after they pulled off the Total Warhammer graphics and animations. Dragons, 7 Great Houses, each as an individual faction, Dothraki as horde factions. Perfectly achievable and they wouldn't have to make as many skeletons or animations besides White Walkers, COTF, and Dragons. Diplomacy as a throwback to Total War Eras games can be done.

Well, no more so than Medieval Europe. ASoIaF is just Medieval Europe with a little bit of fantasy elements. The world isn't really all that engaging or fleshed out apart from the characters. There's nothing that really makes it stand out, that makes it purely unique, apart from the characters and their interactions with each other.

You won't really get that in Total War.

ASoIaF is a perfect universe for Crusader Kings 2. For Total War, it would just be regular battles that you could have in Medieval 3, except one faction has dragons and can easily steamroll everyone else.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Well, no more so than Medieval Europe. ASoIaF is just Medieval Europe with a little bit of fantasy elements. The world isn't really all that engaging or fleshed out apart from the characters. There's nothing that really makes it stand out, that makes it purely unique, apart from the characters and their interactions with each other.

You won't really get that in Total War.

ASoIaF is a perfect universe for Crusader Kings 2. For Total War, it would just be regular battles that you could have in Medieval 3, except one faction has dragons and can easily steamroll everyone else.
    Ballista, Catapaults, elite archers, elite peltasts (Sons Of The Harpy), blood-magic based abilities/ice-forged equivalents. The dragons can be hero/lord units themselves, and extremely rare to see on these battlefields. The original Total War games had better diplomacy and sub-diplomatic options that are not present in the recent arcadish games. Returning to that complexity would be a great boost to CA's reputation and tap into another market for adult fantasy RTS. All we have now is Game of Thrones genesis, and it is trash compared to how well this series can be represented using Total War dynamics. Where White Walkers use Undead similar to vampire counts, the COTF would use creatures/nature magiks against the forces of men.

That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Ballista, Catapaults, elite archers, elite peltasts (Sons Of The Harpy), blood-magic based abilities/ice-forged equivalents. The dragons can be hero/lord units themselves, and extremely rare to see on these battlefields. The original Total War games had better diplomacy and sub-diplomatic options that are not present in the recent arcadish games. Returning to that complexity would be a great boost to CA's reputation and tap into another market for adult fantasy RTS. All we have now is Game of Thrones genesis, and it is trash compared to how well this series can be represented using Total War dynamics. Where White Walkers use Undead similar to vampire counts, the COTF would use creatures/nature magiks against the forces of men.

Im talking about lore, though. In lore, three dragons allowed Aegon Targaryen to conquer an entire continent with little trouble. Well, dragons and diplomacy.

So dragons, at least in the proper hands, are one of, if not the most powerful weapon in that world, and most factions don't have access to anything that can really counter it. Archers and skirmishers don't have the range, and ballista obviously aren't that effective, else dragons wouldn't have been so powerful.

And for diplomacy, the Crusader Kings II mod already handles that vastly better than Total War has ever even attempted to portray medieval politics.

It would be a fun game, but it really would not be very different from a Medieval III. Because, without the characters that make up the story, ASoIaF isn't really that different from the medieval era in the first place.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Senator

ASOIAF is also utter dogshit without closure.
    Write the books GRRM you fat hack

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy Dave View Post
    Sorry mate, but you need to take wikipedia with a pinch of salt. In that case the quote comes from a quote from Eurogamer who are quoting what CA are saying...and CA are going to say that, aren't they. Whether what they're saying is true or not, is up to you to decide. Think back to what they told you about Rome 2 prior to release and after release...? Still feel like trusting what CA tells you?

Anyway, Steam spy has sales up to 400 k now - so there might be some truth in what they say.

But what's more important than the spin they're putting on this - which is CA's goal, to spin it for marketing - is that sales prior to release day were clearly low.
    Hey champ guess what. CA / Sega's parent company "Sega Sammy Holdings" is a publicly traded corporation that has to do things like issue annual financial reports and what have you. When a game sells poorly, these giant corporations stay silent on sales, they don't fabricate numbers and issue press releases glorifying said fabricated numbers. Especially for a game w/ as small / niche a target audience as Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33 View Post
    Hey champ guess what. CA / Sega's parent company "Sega Sammy Holdings" is a publicly traded corporation that has to do things like issue annual financial reports and what have you. When a game sells poorly, these giant corporations stay silent on sales, they don't fabricate numbers and issue press releases glorifying said fabricated numbers. Especially for a game w/ as small / niche a target audience as Total War.
    Yep anything that could go into a financial report issued by a company can usually be taken at face value. It's not that these things can never be falsified, but there's some serious consequences if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Im talking about lore, though. In lore, three dragons allowed Aegon Targaryen to conquer an entire continent with little trouble. Well, dragons and diplomacy.

So dragons, at least in the proper hands, are one of, if not the most powerful weapon in that world, and most factions don't have access to anything that can really counter it. Archers and skirmishers don't have the range, and ballista obviously aren't that effective, else dragons wouldn't have been so powerful.

And for diplomacy, the Crusader Kings II mod already handles that vastly better than Total War has ever even attempted to portray medieval politics.

It would be a fun game, but it really would not be very different from a Medieval III. Because, without the characters that make up the story, ASoIaF isn't really that different from the medieval era in the first place.
    Dorne begs to differ. In any case, the appearances of dragons is consequential to the time period the game would be under. In ASOIAF lore, there are numerous instances of the dragons being taken down, of the Faith Militant empowering "dragonslayers", and many other weakness they have that must be counterbalanced with ground troops. GOT was practically made for total war gameplay. They can be balanced, and a fantasy "medieval 3" such as this can be doable, with the right engine or clever use of the current warscape.

You have the right to your opinion on the diplomacy in total war, paradox has those avenues covered. But I can deal with streamlined diplomacy if the focus is on better gameplay and functions of the tactical map. Customizing your own House and their allegience in-game, or choosing from the established lore ones would be another great incentive.

Dorne begs to differ. In any case, the appearances of dragons is consequential to the time period the game would be under. In ASOIAF lore, there are numerous instances of the dragons being taken down, of the Faith Militant empowering "dragonslayers", and many other weakness they have that must be counterbalanced with ground troops. GOT was practically made for total war gameplay. They can be balanced, and a fantasy "medieval 3" such as this can be doable, with the right engine or clever use of the current warscape.

You have the right to your opinion on the diplomacy in total war, paradox has those avenues covered. But I can deal with streamlined diplomacy if the focus is on better gameplay and functions of the tactical map. Customizing your own House and their allegience in-game, or choosing from the established lore ones would be another great incentive.
    Dorne's method of dealing with dragons was, "Don't be around dragons." XD

Im not saying dragons are invincible, Im just saying, that's a gigantic advantage that only one faction will have. Or maybe two, depending on the exact period the game covers.

I just don't see what it would offer beyond the setting, and the setting isn't super interesting without the characters, and a Total War game has never demonstrated interesting enough character interaction.

Now, if they set it much earlier, during the early days of the Valaryian Freehold, when Ghis was still in power, and Westeros was separated? That would be much more interesting. But I don't think a game in that niche setting would be appealing to the people that CA would want to appeal to with a GoT Total War, unfortunately.

Er, anyway, this is kinda getting off-topic I suppose.

To be honest, Total War should be about that: War in its totality, from the grand strategy to the battle tactics. Lately what I see in this series is Total Battles... or Total Fast Forward Battles in some case.

I wish the campaign, logistics and troop management was more fleshed out: I wanna gain an advantage if I administed my state well or if I make it a certain way(forms of government, policies, types of military forces(standing, militias...), manpower and war-exhaustion), I wish I could see that a victory in a battle could be rendered null and void if the logistical situation sucks(mutinies, desertion...). Also, I think CA could implement a sort of hybrid RTS/TBS manouvre map: basically it's kind of like deployment but in real time where you manouvre your army so you get the best battlefield(that offers advantages compared to the enemy) or mess your opponent army(harassing, cutting off supplies...)
    War is not only about battles, hell most casualties historically were because of disease, cold and hunger. I would like a "Total War" game to focus on all aspect of warfare and when I say that, I don't mean introducing dumbed down mechanics and easy arcadish fixes but things that make you feel like a commander(battles), ruler(grand strategy and administration... what usualy decides war: money and manpower) and general(campaigns).

Even in Warhammer this could be done much better: you could try to mimick the way the factions work, serfdom for Bretonnians, Empire and electoral politics/intrigues for...the Empire, clan competition for the the Greenskins(or competition on who has the most honour between the Bretonnian nobles), how to treat your human subjects as the Vampires and most importantly: religion, it is central on at least 3 of the main factions: the Empire, Bretonnia and Chaos.

Bottom line is: Total War does not mean just battles or just "badass" battles. Conducting a realistic(you can have realism in Warhammer too. By realism I mean the fact that everything works according to the physics we know and in a logical way: magic functions on a set of rules(winds of magic), soldiers need to money and food(except for the vampire counts), factions try their best to thrive or survive...) war is fun, because you have to overcome obstacles that many had to deal with all by yourself. It's more rewarding to win a hard competition that an easy one

Im definitely not disagreeing with you, that would be fun. But it's not really within the scope of Total War games.

I wish it was, and I wish they would try a game like that, but there's no precedent for them to do so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234