Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Northern Campaign

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Northern Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    I have a moderate understanding of tactics and I'm a decent fighter but I regret that I have yet to led an army into battle

Then it may be best for you to serve alongside a commander to better understand what it takes to lead an army. Besides myself, there is the King himself, the Early of Surrey and the Earl of Cambridge, all men who have led troops at one point in their life. It was the Earl of Surrey who ensured the flank of the Yorkist army at Towton did not falter when the Earl of Warwick died. The Earl of Cambridge rose to his stature due to his service alongside the King at Towton.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post

Then it may be best for you to serve alongside a commander to better understand what it takes to lead an army. Besides myself, there is the King himself, the Early of Surrey and the Earl of Cambridge, all men who have led troops at one point in their life. It was the Earl of Surrey who ensured the flank of the Yorkist army at Towton did not falter when the Earl of Warwick died. The Earl of Cambridge rose to his stature due to his service alongside the King at Towton.
    William happy to be apart of the campaign he was young and inexperienced, this was his opportunity to learn and possibly prove himself worthy of command not only for the realm but for his own people back in Worcestershire whom one day he will have to lead.

Thank you, your Grace. If I may I wish to serve under the best military commander of whom I can learn the most though I'm not exactly certain who that may be

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

"I look forward to it." Nothing in Richard's tone suggested that he was being sarcastic. "I know this world can be a dreadful place to live - have known it, since that black day we've just discussed - but that is all the more reason we brothers of York should work together. If there is anything I can do to support our family, name it, and I shall go do my duty. For now however, if my duty is to earn my spurs under Percy's wing, then I will do so...at Berwick, ideally. I would rather not wait too long to move on to greater deeds."​ He smirks again, this time with more confidence than amusement.
    Edward grinned with pride, withdrawing from this confidential discourse pleased with the outcome. If he could not trust Richard, then who else could he confide in, if not his own flesh and blood?

"Your time will come, Richard, for surety. There will be much to do for loyal men in the future. Berwick is but the stepping stone, the start of my reign. We shall prosper."

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

(real dude)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    One of the men accompanying the king, garbed in a tabard emblazoned with the royal livery, announced the presence of Edward, followed by a list of his titles. Though his head was covered with visor, and not adorned by any crown, it was clear which man was Edward; towering above his companions in armour even on horseback. The King raised his visor and dipped his head in greeting, yet remained silent, waiting for the man to introduce himself for he did not recognise his personal arms.
    The arms were of a white griffin, it seemed, on a red field.
    "I am Robert of Lawdir of Edrington," he said, through an accent that was quite the same as what Percy's men likely spoke, rather than a highland-stereotype. "Governor of this castle by the will of Kings James."

The armiger wasn't old or young, but was certainly in the middle years when one was both weathered and still hale & hearty. The style of his tabard was a little outdated, the more observant among the English would notice. The other riders seemed to be men-at-arms, of similar noble descent as their leader.

They all frowned solemnly at their enemy, though remained quite polite in the face of this King.

"Well met, Sir Robert Lawdir. I pray we can come to terms." Edward addressed him cordially, as if he was negotiating for a barrel of wine rather than an entire castle and it's encompassing town.
    "This Castle has been illegally occupied, with the party agreeing to the treaty detailing its secession, Henry of Lancaster, being in no position to make such a negotiation. Therefore We immediately request the surrender of the castle back to its rightful owners. In return, the garrison shall be allowed safe passage over the Scottish border." The King remained calm, towering over all in foreboding plate armour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Yer Grayce.." the border noble nodded before responding.
    "King James has claimed this castle by ancient right. It is the Anglish who took Sooth Berwick frum a partie who hed hath no powe' to maketh sooch a deal." He spoke of John Balliol and Edward I, it seemed.

There was a pause and the knight shifted in his horse.
    "Aul respect ta ye, King Ed'ard," Robert said, nodding again, all while frowning, "Bi the Tweid Watter wis the border of Scot-land, and that wis where it shall stay."

Edward nodded, resigned, having been expectant of this outcome. It had been unlikely they would have surrendered fully supplied, after all.

"My forebear claimed this castle by the right of conquest. It seems I shall have to follow in his footsteps."
    There was an ominous silence, and the king looked to his nobles tellingly, before his gaze returned to Lawdir. At another meeting under a banner of truce, he had been near killed, though the Scots showed no such malice. "God keep you, Sir Robert." Edward then lowered his visor, the stallion that carried him trotting back down to the main English encampment, disappearing as quickly as he'd emerged. Immediately after, Edward called for all lords and commanders of rank to attend a council of war within his own tent, where they would all sit together at a table out of the cold.

"End ye as wal, yer grayce," the Lothian castellan said respectfully before turning his horse to return into Berwick's high-walled bastion.

A horn was blown just as the English reached their camp, signifying that the leaders of both sides had finished their parley.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Edward grinned with pride, withdrawing from this confidential discourse pleased with the outcome. If he could not trust Richard, then who else could he confide in, if not his own flesh and blood?

"Your time will come, Richard, for surety. There will be much to do for loyal men in the future. Berwick is but the stepping stone, the start of my reign. We shall prosper."
    "Aye. I know we shall," Richard said decisively as he spurred his horse onward. To a brighter day beneath the Sun, and sons, of York, he thought with renewed confidence.

OOC: Idk, I feel like I've kinda run out of things to say here. Shall we say this conversation's concluded?

-------------------------

Cambridge and Viscount Kyriell both attend the King's war council, both clad in utilitarian garb suited to withstanding the Northern weather rather than any aristocratic finery.

Meanwhile...(this will happen whenever Percy enters)

Richard of Gloucester passes into his brother's pavilion with his guardian the Duke of Northumberland, at which point he awaits the start of the meeting with his typical quiet patience.

"It seems the Scots will not surrender meekly, as expected." Edward began, with the nobles and commanders trickling into his tent. "So we shall starve them out. Our siege lines will extend around both town and castle, perhaps with periodic cannon-fire at the castle walls. Eventually, they will give in." The King had no desire to expend men on a bloody assault, it seemed. Edward leaned back in his chair, itching at his chin. "I want companies of men crossing into Lothian, to raid and pillage. Perhaps Cambridge and some others would be up to that task? Surrey? Worcester?" His gaze reached every lord in the room, waiting for one to step forward and volunteer himself. Many had been silent, up till now.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Surrey stepped forth. He was ready for some action, and he wanted to earn some military glories besides just firing cannon balls at a castle.

"I would be willing to lead men across the Lothian to raid and pillage the Scottish lands. My men and I will also be on the lookout for any advancing enemy army. By now the Scots should have amassed a force to come to the aid of Berwick."

"I too am willing to head north and give these troublesome Scots a good slap with the back of war's hard hand," Cambridge adds approvingly. Raiding and pillaging was sure to be a better time than just sitting around Berwick for God knows how long, after all. Still, he had to ask: "Are we aware of how strong the garrison defending Berwick is, Your Grace? They may not have enough men on hand to defend every meter of those walls. And though the risks are higher than if we were to simply wait them out, quickly taking the town by storm may prove to be a better option in the long term - it means less time for the Scots to muster reinforcements and alert their French friends to the south."

"We know not - though likely, the castle is better defended than the town, with more men and less wall to defend. Taking the town certainly seems a viable option, cutting the supplies to the castle." Edward nodded, finding strength in Cambridge's argument. "The castle would be bloody to capture, and let us not forget, gentlemen, that the Scots have an army of unknown size waiting in Lothian."

Indefinitely Banned

Earl Hastings speaks:

My Lord, we will be happy to raid or lead any attack with our men. Give the word and we will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Aye, it is quite chilly
    William gave a welcoming gesture to join him and offer the man a drink
    Its honey mead, made by some priest in Yorkshire
    George took the mead greedily, waving the hunk of bread lazily towards the earl as some sort of trade should he be interested.

Really? I have met with the Archbishop of York, he spoke fondly of brewing his own mead and distilling it, but I have yet to taste anything of his yet. This is a treat, thank you.

The baron took a gulp and let the flavours dance around his mouth.

George de Newselles, baron of... well, of Newselles.

"It seems the Scots will not surrender meekly, as expected." Edward began, with the nobles and commanders trickling into his tent. "So we shall starve them out. Our siege lines will extend around both town and castle, perhaps with periodic cannon-fire at the castle walls. Eventually, they will give in." The King had no desire to expend men on a bloody assault, it seemed. Edward leaned back in his chair, itching at his chin. "I want companies of men crossing into Lothian, to raid and pillage. Perhaps Cambridge and some others would be up to that task? Surrey? Worcester?" His gaze reached every lord in the room, waiting for one to step forward and volunteer himself. Many had been silent, up till now.
    Having seen a number of fancy boys heading as one into a tent George decided to follow to see if his vast education could finally be put to use. It seems that he has not himself been a fancy boy for long enough to acquire the homing-beacon-like brainwaves that these blue bloods have. Perhaps it was in the breeding.

He stood near the back, craning his neck to get his first ever glimpse of the king, awaiting his chance to speak.
    Creative Writing: (Currently on hold)
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

"We know not - though likely, the castle is better defended than the town, with more men and less wall to defend. Taking the town certainly seems a viable option, cutting the supplies to the castle." Edward nodded, finding strength in Cambridge's argument. "The castle would be bloody to capture, and let us not forget, gentlemen, that the Scots have an army of unknown size waiting in Lothian."
    The Kyriells nodded at the King's assessment. Taking the town would at least expedite the process of securing Berwick. "If we are fortunate, we'll be able to not only drive the garrison from the city walls but pursue them into the castle itself before they can shut its gates. And if we were to secure those gates before they are shut, or even before much of the garrison makes it past them...well then, I do believe we will have effectively won all Berwick," Edmund added with confidence. Achieving victory in such an aggressive manner without sustaining too high losses on their own side would no doubt require a speedy, sustained and carefully targeted assault - but the Earl of Cambridge, at least, would clearly prefer such a plan to simply waiting for the Scots' supplies to run dry and in so doing, give them time to muster reinforcements and even call in the other half of the Auld Alliance.

Having said his piece, Cambridge leaned back and waited for the other lords and commanders gathered to speak. Roger, for his part, had nothing to say at the moment and thus said nothing, instead observing the other peers and awaiting their comments - thus far, his brother and Surrey had been the only men in this tent to respond to the King.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; November 05, 2016 at 04:13 PM.

Newselles shook his head before quietly clearing his throat.

The bridge would have to be destroyed. You can't push the town defenders into the castle without running the risk of that large castle garrison sallying into the town before then.

He spoke quietly and slowly, intending to humbly get his point across without overstepping his station. This was alien territory for him.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

Edward nods silently at the new man's words, searching his mind for the baron's face or his heraldry. He did not recognise either. Eventually, after a time, the King did speak.

"Surrey and Hastings shall lead their personal men into Lothian. The remainder shall engage themselves in the siege." Edward then looked towards Newselles, resolving to know more of the man.
    "Your name, Sir?" He inquired courteously, presuming he must at least be a notable knight to have been accepted into his presence.

The baron bowed his head.

Newselles, your Grace. Erm... George. First baron de Newselles.

His cheeks flushed. Equal parts booze and embarrassment at being singled out.
    The Domini Sepulchre
    The Sword and Quill

Edward nodded with a slight smile, leaning back in his seat with his attention firmly affixed upon the other man, this de Newselles.

"Well then, my lord de Newselles, tell me what you would do in my position, with this army at your back laying siege to this town. How would you make it yours?"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast