Thread: Replacement of the Byzantine Roman-roster?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Replacement of the Byzantine Roman-roster?

Hello, as you all know the coming WotN: Grand Campaign is using the rosters of EoR:The Danube Limes for the factions of Imperium Romanorum, Polanie (Shlavenes), Karelia (Antes) and the Magyars (Avars).

I do love the style of the Romans in that mod, however - things have changed as all the other Roman-rosters have re-appeared for East of Rome as well as the campaigns. This has led to projects being started to restore the EoA (End of Antiquity) and East of Rome: Justinian Main Campaign.

I think the Heraclian-era roster should be specific for EoA, but with possible use in the other EoR-mods also - the Notitia/Justinian rosters should be specific for the Justinian main campaign, but with possible use in the other EoR-mods too and finally i think this Maurekian roster could be specific for all the EoR-mods but mostly the Danube Limes-one.

What do you guys think?

Notitia/Justinian is set in the late 400's or early 500's, Maurekian is in the 560's and the Heraclian era lasted between 614 to 710 if i am not mistaken - this mod currently has the Maurekian era-units wich is completely wrong for the time-period. Even though they still are cool those elite units, not to say the Herclian-era hasn't got even more bad-ass units. So what do you think? Should the Romans be changed to the Thematic and correct era?

The units might not be as professional-looking in most cases, and we could still keep the basic units such as civilians, militias and such. But the soldiers could be changed into Thematic-era units. I would say some of the Thematic-era elites will have really cool looks. Four really good looking units. But the rest feels kind of like what Broken Crescent has, re-textures in that style but different and unique. Some of the units resemble the style of BC/TGC. Only the most elite had almost as cool units as the Maurekian era.

No one is close to the Heraclian-era though. But those feel completely wrong for WotN even as they are more modern than the Maurekian-era ones.

Should we replace the maurekian-roster with a thematic-one to be more historically authentic? At the expense of the bad-ass units already added. Or should we keep the current Maurekian-roster from Danube Limes instead? The Thematic will be unique. Or should we have a blend of the most bad-ass troops in WotN?

Thoughts on this?

By the way, i have now an epic Varangian Guard-unit. Credit for all the EoR-content is given to their creators. I use Danube Limes-content by permission from Darius. Don't know if i can use anything else.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 09, 2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Libertus

Default Re: Replacement of the Byzantine Roman-roster?

This one is a tough one.Personally i think you should stick to the thematic and correct era for sake of historical authenticity.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Replacement of the Byzantine Roman-roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Juzu90 View Post
    This one is a tough one.Personally i think you should stick to the thematic and correct era for sake of historical authenticity.
    I am leaning towards that too, but then i will need to re-add most of the roster - well, it can't be helped really.

I am soon done with adding all the units to custom battles in EoR and when i am done i am going to replace the Roman roster.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal