Thread: My experiences thus far with the Boii - is AI Rome a little TOO strong?

Senator

Default My experiences thus far with the Boii - is AI Rome a little TOO strong?

Hello again, Larkin here. Long time RSII fan, recently got RSIII after years without touching a total war game. Thought I'd post some experiences and open up a discussion, perhaps.

I've been playing a handful of campaigns - Rome, Greeks, and in particular the Boii. I've been loving the Boii run in particular - I've had a great time negotiating alliances with Dacia and the Belgae, bringing rebel tribes in to the Confederation, and building a powerful little realm in the heart of Europe. I was eventually attacked by the Cimbri and crushed them and now my lands stretch from Switzerland to the Netherlands, from Sweden to Estonia to the Ukraine and down to the coast of Croatia.

I was of course attacked early on by Rome to take Bononia/Bologna from me and although I just about fended them off (thanks to time limit) from the first attack I knew I could not hold another, so I abandoned the settlement to them and tried (unsuccessfully) to leg it with what remained of my army and my poor heroic general (he met his end courtesy of the bloody rebels in a field near Milan). I was then able to negotiate a peace with Rome and for the next, well, few decades we were at peace.

Carthage was forced out of Iberia by the Gallaeci who took almost all of it except for the Roman colony there. The war with Rome continued but with little to no action from either side. The Romans and Greeks were also consistently at war, seeing brief Greek expansions in southern Gaul and Sicily quickly stomped down. The Selucids seemed dominant and had Parthia and Egypt on the brink with Armenia as a vassal, but then met a coordinated attack from Pontus and Pergamon and have been torn apart by the four nations. The Greeks were being crushed by Sparta, Rome and Sarmatia, losing almost all of their holdings except for Benghazi, Crete and Rhodes, Athens and Thebes. Then suddenly they launched a blitzkrieg against Macedon, who had expanded up the Black Sea and forced Scythia into a vassalship with Sarmatia. Dacia attacked Macedon too and between them they reduced them to just Chalkis and two provinces on the Black Sea coast. Dacia rules Pella, Thessalonica and Byzantium, no less! The Greeks shortly after defeated Sparta - who at one point were laying siege to Athens with a 3:1 numerical advantage - and via rebellion in Syracuse took Akragas too.

I've absolutely loved this campaign - it has totally immersed me in the spirit of the Celts (and I've done so much reading about the history as a result) and it's been a sizeable challenge. Some of the battles have been very hard, especially when I'm at a disadvantage in cavalry, or they have strong spear infantry that limit my cavalry's effectiveness. A lot of the generic Celtic infantry the Boii have are very squishy so if you don't micro well you can lose a unit in an instant. However the heavy spearmen and swordsmen are awesome (and look amazing) and I love the balance between missile and heavier cavalry. It's been really cool as I expanded to have units from other tribes etc become available - it really fits the feeling of incorporating tribes into a Confederacy and having their warriors join my own. Marcomanni, Volcae, Helvetii, Chatti, Suebi etc - recruiting them in their homelands and bringing them all together from across my realm to form an army feels amazing compared to the vanilla style 'spam 10x legionaries in any city'.

As I lay siege to the free city in Switzerland (I had hoped to keep this as a buffer against the Romans but they were refusing my peace offers and kept sending assassins at my nearby lands, so I felt obligated to take this land too), the Romans approached me with an offer of alliance. Brilliant, I thought - I can finally spend some time without having to worry about a lengthy and costly war to properly develop my infrastructure. Every turn I spend all the money I have and many provinces are left undeveloped - I have many provinces with public order issues but I simply cannot afford military expense, economic development and public order development at the same time (this is fantastic from a gameplay standpoint, as so often in TW games once you secure your starting position you can just roll in cash forever).

However immediately as I ended the turn after taking the Helvetii capital the Romans lay siege. Part of me wonders if the AI actually meant to backstab me or if they just intended to attack the city themselves, but they are not at war with the free people, so this option seems unlikely (they have not even taken Venetia from them, which is a handy buffer since I control Ilyria). The army I had in that city, close to full strength (there had not been much of a garrison) is my most veteran field army, led by the son of my most successful general who crushed tribe after tribe and won heroic victory after victory against the Cimbri and the other northern Germanic tribes. There are the most elite units I can field - Boii Champions, Heavy Swordsmen, Volcae Axemen and so on - all upgraded with their weapons and armour to silver and most of them boasting multiple levels of silver or gold experience. They were up against a smaller Roman army of Polybian cohorts, Allied cohorts, some Triarii, a Velite unit and a captain with some Equites. About 50% were upgraded to bronze, most were bronze experience with a few silver.

After 2 turns of siege (during which time I was frantically bringing my other field armies together and making some very tough choices about where to cut spending to retrain troops while also having to maintain order - again, awesome stuff) they attacked. During the battle I checked some of the Polybian cohorts' stats as I watched them marching under tower fire, being shot at by veteran Getic archers, slingers and peltasts and taking little to no casualties. My Boii Heavy Swordsmen, 3 gold chevrons of experience, unleashed all of their javelins at one cohort and killed about 3 per hit. One Allied cohort threw their pila at a Celtic spearmen unit and killed about 30 of them in one volley. The cohorts sat and threw what felt like about 6-7 volleys of pila at my heavily armoured spearmen by the gate who had their shields raised and ready and still they took dozens of casualties. Naturally I checked some unit stats and was pretty shocked to find that a generic early cohort can still have better attack and defense than some of the most elite warriors I can field, incredibly experienced and well upgraded.

I crushed this Roman army with no survivors, after I was able to rotate cavalry out through the wall breaches the Romans made and hit their other attacking groups from behind. I still lost 28% of my army despite a 1000 man advantage. I don't think I could have saved that many more if I could somehow have been more optimal in the battle.

It's about 578 AUC, and there is a named Legion - the VII - sitting in Italy that my spy has spotted. The Romans have defeated the Arverni, made peace with Carthage (who only control Algeria and Tunisia now, the Gallaeci having taken Morocco as well) and swept through the Iberian peninsular in record time. It seems they take a new province every turn. They repeatedly lose control of some of the cities in Gaul and have a 2 province Greek insurgency on Sicily. It absolutely baffles me, therefore, why they would attack this enormous Celtic powerhouse of the Boii - allied with the Belgae who control the rest of Gaul - just after offering them an alliance. Don't they have other things to be dealing with? The answer is yes, and yet their units are simply so powerful they are able to defeat pretty much anything thrown at them. I've seen small Roman armies - 8 to 14 units - easily defeating 16 to 20 unit stacks and taking a province shortly after without much loss. I can't help but feel the Polybian cohorts, at least, are a little too overtuned.

Add to that the fact we have a legion appearing what feels like 100 years too early and I am balking a little, as I saw some of those cohorts' stats and that the defence rating was hitting 60 - my aforementioned elite swordsmen manage 57 after 2 levels of upgrades and 9 levels of veterancy.

Of course, I relish the challenge, and I've mustered two veteran and one green field army to save my elites from the second siege they are undergoing. I intend once they are safe and retrained to accompany them with another new professional field army (though I am somewhat fearful of the cost - the war has only gone on for a few turns and it has already dropped my income by about 10000 per turn, approximately 1/3) to strike into Italy itself and reclaim Bononia. However, I can't help but feel that Rome has, under the AI, not had anywhere near the historical problems a player will face and has been able to progress technologically at a far faster rate and has under its command an endless tide of units that are, in my opinion, a little too good. I'm all for the legions to be among the best in the game, since of course, they did conquer the empire. But the 2nd Punic War era units - as stated, that were created out of necessity and quality was sacrificed - should not be so strong that they are able to crush in a few years the Iberian and Gallic tribes that Rome struggled with for centuries.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and if there is interest, I can update this thread as time goes by with the progress of my campaign (perhaps with pictures if people want). I'm certainly looking forward to the daunting prospect of a protracted war with Rome.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: My experiences thus far with the Boii - is AI Rome a little TOO strong?

I for one will be interested if you should continue with updates, 2 or 3 screenshots are always welcome. I too love this mod and imo is the best Rome 1 mod closely followed by EB & RTR. The Romani are OP but then again they are meant to be as history tells us this. The reforms come early iirc due to hidden resource triggers in certain major settlements for the AI but not for the player who has to build the Palace of the Legatus Propraetor in Akragas for this to happen. I made a Let's Play as Athens a short time ago and I invaded Sicily as a plan to capture Akragas(which I did) to prevent the Marian reforms in readiness for invading the Italian peninsular, I was unaware of the hidden resource triggers at this time and ofc ended up battling against The Legions anyway

EDIT: There is a submod for RSII which may interest you called When Worlds Collide which is set in The Hellenistic period, I'm Let's Playing it atm, you can check it out if you like by clicking the link in my signature below. I don't play as immersive as you do on Let's Plays only in my personal campaigns where I am not time constricted. I think this submod would suit your style of play, it's 8tpy and it's certainly challenging.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; April 20, 2018 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update and typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Senator

Default Re: My experiences thus far with the Boii - is AI Rome a little TOO strong?

As a little preview, here's a battle I am faced with.

My relief effort was successful - my host was so large that the besieging army took to the field, contemplated the advancing hordes for a moment and then fled, losing some 350 men that were too slow in the process. One group of Polybians led by a family member sat opposite two of my field armies whilst three legions including X were brought up. Now they have determined they are ready to attack...

Senator

So I wanted to do a proper update with screenshots, but alt-tabbing had a 75% chance of causing my game to crash, so I could only take one at a time.

Long story short, I crushed those 3 legions, but it wasn't quite as spectacular as I might have hoped. As fate would have it, the battlemap had a large rocky incline in the centre that was impassable, and I basically ruthlessly exploited that to funnel 2 of the enemy armies into my lines and ultimately enveloped them and crushed them between me and the AI. Worst thing was that one of the AI armies charged its general and other cavalry straight into one of the legions as soon as it started emerging from the edge of the battlefield, meaning that although I came away with the victory and around 8600 dead Romans, I lost a general (and around 8000 of my own men - it was no easy battle regardless).

I've since avoided facing them in large scale battles as I simply can't afford to retire too many armies for retraining at once. I had a very irritating crash after I moved on Lugdunon - I set one army to besiege it, and one to hold a bridge nearby. I won 2 battles, one at the city, and one at the river, which took the whole 45 minute time limit and demonstrated just how useless my ranged units can be (only around 50 kills between 3 skirmisher units and 100 between 2 slinger units) but I wiped out several Roman armies, mostly Poiybian with a few remnants of modern legionaries. However, upon taking the city in the end turn phase, no matter what option I chose, the game would stop working. I had had this problem once before with the Greeks, but managed to resolve it by loading an autosave, clicking the advisor portrait, and then reloading.

I decided for the need of men in Gaul to abandon my idea of campaigning through Venetia to strike at Italy itself. Sadly the free people still refuse to negotiate peace with me.

Rome attacked near Lugdunon again with a group of Polybian armies, and one of them engaged my freshly retrained (save for 20 men that were lost dispatching a sizeable rebel army on the way) elite army - this is the best fiield army I have. This was the result:

Even though they are superior in stats, you can't beat better tactics when the numbers are in your favour.

I just stopped playing after a crash as I was trying to take a screen of the military ranking between me and Rome, showing the huge dip they took after my victories. However, I saw with a spy that they have 4 full legions marching over the Alps to me right now - X, VII, XII - all of the legions I had wiped out. This is a bit ridiculous - it's clear the Rome AI can recruit the entire legion in 1 turn whenever it likes. There should be more of a restriction on how easily it is able to do this, come on - how many times will I have to crush the same legions before I can even enter Italy? Even just a turn time limit before the same legion can be recruited would make a bit of sense, no? To top it off, their finances have soared despite the recruitment, the loss of cities in Gaul to me and rebels, and cities in Iberia to Carthage and the Gallaeci. They constantly negotiate peace with Carthage, only for it to be broken again - yet they have no interest in peace with me.

My only option is to gradually wear them down with horde after horde of barbarians, taking gradual footholds and eventually limiting the legionary recruitment by taking the fortresses themselves. It will be a long and bloody road, and if anyone else attacks me while I am doing this, I will face catastrophe.

I will need to try to make an alliance with the resurgent Scythians, who between the Greeks and Dacians have reduced Macedon to 2 besieged cities on the Black Sea coast - they will not last much longer. They border me extensively now after eliminating the last rebel presence in the area, and I am not equipped to fight horse archer based armies. I am contemplating trying to take Massalia and use it as a bargaining chip to form an alliance with the Greeks too - to encourage more aggression between them and Rome, with Macedon out of the picture, and to ensure my alliance with the Dacians (who are allied to the Greeks) holds fast. The Dacians are now locked in a bitter conflict over the Bosporous with Pergamon. Pontus and Egypt, meanwhile, despite not being allied shared a mutual goal and have utterly crushed the Selucids between them and Parthia from the East, with a little help from Armenia. Pontic armies are just one province away from Babylon and Selucia. It was not that long ago that Selucid armies were at the Red Sea - now the Ptolemaics have expanded all the way into Syria and Lebanon. The Sarmatians have invaded over the Caucasus and taken a settlement from the Armenians, but do not appear capable of much more than that. The Belgae are gradually losing Britain to the free people but have capitalised on some rebellions after Roman conquests in Gaul - I hope they will remain my ally, as they will be crushed if they turn on me.

This was a very interesting read.

I would advise you to invade Britain though.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    This was a very interesting read.

I would advise you to invade Britain though.
    Why? I have contemplated it in the past, as I hoped after the Belgae eventually took Camulodunum the port would trade with my own in Frisia, but sadly not. The free people there have laid siege to one of the Belgae settlements and the Belgae seem weak there, but I don't want to betray my ally, and it will be quite a long and costly endeavour as I would have to supply/retrain my troops from Batavia/Frisia and Denmark, and I lack high quality troop training areas in Northern Europe. I definitely can't do it while I am locked in this war with Rome, but if I am able to achieve a stable peace with them, I may do it - if not just to try and gain the peace I've desired with the free people, one way or another.

I remember taking Gotland before in an RSII campaign and it resulting of course in the whole of the impassable map being 'mine' - I would take it again since it can connect trade nicely with my other Baltic holdings, but I don't want to break the immersion too much!

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

nice to see you post your empire, its bin some time since i see someone do that +rep
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    nice to see you post your empire, its bin some time since i see someone do that +rep
    Thank you! I will post another campaign screenshot in my next update. For now, another battle report:

Along with my veteran armies (now being slowly whittled away after battle after battle with the legions, most frustrating was when I merged two weakened units of Teutones Heavy Axemen together, both at silver weapon/armour, one with 3 gold and one with 3 silver chevrons of experience, and I got a 3 silver chevron unit with bronze weapon/armour! How ridiculous that their equipment should mysteriously downgrade for no apparent reason...) I had raised a single new army, a 'professional' army made up of recruits from my second tier of cities - the areas outside of my capital, into Austria, Hungary and Croatia. I had held a bridge area, or so I thought, when it was attacked by the XII legion, and I came to realise quickly that there was no bridge to defend on this battlefield. Fortunately that actually suited this army quite well as it was built with a sizeable portion of cavalry - the general, two units of noble cavalry, and two units of celtic medium cavalry, who operate first as skirmisher cavalry but are more than capable with the spear after they have thrown their last javelin.

The result of this battle - a brutal, half hour slog with thousands of casualties on both sides, leading to a destroyed Roman legion and a battered Boii army (that suffered more losses on its attempted withdrawal and is now heading home for retraining and to have replacement units added) showed me that, as much as I might wish them to be, my ranged units are simply not getting enough effectiveness against this enemy. I had seen huge losses inflicted by slingers and archers and skirmishers alike during my campaigns against the Germanic tribes, and had hoped that with upgrades and experience they might inflict the same upon the Romans; as this breakdown will show, that was a pipe dream. Clearly, the way to beat the Romans is to have enough heavy infantry to hold the line and spearmen to resist and kill their cavalry, and enough cavalry of my own to eliminate their support units, opposing cavalry, and eventually begin the charges, cohort by cohort, until there are none left.

(Incidentally, I almost lost this battle to a stupid glitch, as my general got stuck 'celebrating' and refused to move/respond to any commands. There were still 3 cohorts left fighting evenly, with 3 more surrounded and fighting on - I needed to charge the 3 cohorts still open to me, and one of my two heavy cavalry units was suddenly unavailable! Fortunately, the nobles lived up to their name and, helpfully, my infantry managed to break the 1st cohort and the cohort + auxiliary cohort that were surrounded by themselves, freeing themselves up to help encircle the remainder.)

The drunken son of the Confederacy's best ever general is nearing 60, and has just returned to the frontlines with his army freshly retrained. I think he may have one last campaign in him before passing the mantle over to one of the young guns. The most elite standing army (I really need a good name for it) that fought the battle in the earlier post is currently the only other high strength formation available in southern Gaul, and I have the II Augusta ahead of it. I think if I can pin it between my two armies, I can destroy it and from there have a (relatively) free road to liberate more Gallic settlements from the Romans, or even to strike at Massalia and try to establish a fort position in the Alpine pass to prevent any easy movements from the inevitable next round of legions.
    Last edited by Larkin; May 02, 2018 at 12:13 AM.

Senator

As promised, here's a screen of the current map with my financial situation, as I update you on an increasingly problematic situation...

As I muster my forces in Gaul, the Macedonians get the benefit of the saviour script and get a ceasefire with their many enemies, as they are reduced to that single city on the Black Sea. As I said in my previous update, I had hoped to obtain an alliance with the Scythians to help secure my Eastern frontier - I sent a diplomat over and they were most happy to agree to the alliance, and revealed that the Sarmatians have lost several regions to rebellion, one of which was then taken by the Scythians, their former vassal. The Greeks remain at war with the Sarmatians as do Armenia, who appear to be fighting them in the Caucasus, which is preventing the Armenians from further putting pressure on the crumbling Selucids.

What happens? Of course, the Greeks declare war on me and attack two of my cities, in Ilyria and Ukraine. And of course, because diplomacy makes no sense, my new allies in the Scythians and my long standing allies (from practically the first turn) in Dacia break their alliances with me in favour of the Greeks. I don't think I've ever been on the receiving end of a backstab where the aggressors are the ones who lose their alliance as a result in this game, which is a bit of a sad thing.

So as you can see, my finances are now really strained. Without trade from the Greeks and the ongoing need to keep public order at a reasonable level I've been unable to build necessary expansion buildings, so several settlements are succumbing to squalor. I often have barely enough left over to build one thing anywhere once I have finished necessary retraining; I used to be in surplus of 20-30k, now I am lucky to have 10k. The settlement next to the one in the Ukraine that the Greeks attacked is my second wealthiest in my entire realm after the capital; it accounts for nearly 7000 a turn. If I were to lose it, I would be in dire straits indeed. I have two armies beginning to retrain in Bohemia; I will have to send one South and one East to deal with these troublesome Greeks, and maintain a presence to ensure that the Dacians and Scythians don't get any funny ideas. I'm interested to see how my armies will match up to the Greeks; from what I've seen, I'll be facing a lot of silver veteran thorakitai and some hoplites/phalangites. The Greek 'king' himself, Basileus Crotheus, leads one of these armies, so perhaps I will soon gain the opportunity to teach him the error of his ways in person.

Either way, I have little hope of being able to sustain a campaign against the Romans as well as the Greeks (given that the Greeks are at war with Rome and occupy half of Sicily, it's all the more baffling they would refuse an alliance offer I made them a few turns ago and instead attack me). My plan to attack Massalia is now all the more relevant, as I will use it as a bargaining chip to try to get the Greeks to agree to a ceasefire with me (and try to get some money out of it too, if I can, since I desperately need it - or perhaps I will simply raze Massalia to the ground and give it to Greece as an empty wasteland. I am, after all, a Barbarian). I have three armies ready in Gaul - I will use one to hold the flank from the West, one to hold the Alpine pass and the other to besiege Massalia itself. It will be no easy task, given the stone walls, but I have faith in my warriors... they have developed a taste for Roman blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    So as you can see, my finances are now really strained. Without trade from the Greeks and the ongoing need to keep public order at a reasonable level I've been unable to build necessary expansion buildings, so several settlements are succumbing to squalor. I often have barely enough left over to build one thing anywhere once I have finished necessary retraining; I used to be in surplus of 20-30k, now I am lucky to have 10k. The settlement next to the one in the Ukraine that the Greeks attacked is my second wealthiest in my entire realm after the capital; it accounts for nearly 7000 a turn. If I were to lose it, I would be in dire straits indeed.
    That is some crazy stuff for me, my first priority, in every campaign is to have each turn, a full list of constructions going on in every city. It prevails over my army forces, always. But I must say that the difficulty of such situations you're on now must be really stimulating, even more because Boii is in the middle of such foes coming from everywhere ! Gergovia should help your treasury !

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathoustra View Post
    That is some crazy stuff for me, my first priority, in every campaign is to have each turn, a full list of constructions going on in every city. It prevails over my army forces, always. But I must say that the difficulty of such situations you're on now must be really stimulating, even more because Boii is in the middle of such foes coming from everywhere ! Gergovia should help your treasury !
    Yes, the lands the Boii have to expand into are significantly lower in immediate wealth, unless you opt to expand south and fight the Dacians (as historically)! Much of the central Germanian regions are in negative income, made up for by a few wealthy coastal settlements on the Baltic and my wealthy heartlands from Bohemia to Ruthenia. Of course, while I was at peace before the Cimbri attacked me, I was enjoying competition as the most advanced nation in the world, constructing something in every province every time I could, as I share similar personal goals as you. The war with the Cimbri took a chunk out of that capacity, but perhaps I rushed into my own (singular) aggressive act against the free people to take the remaining central Germanian and Baltic settlements from them (not least because the settlement in the Ukraine and the one in Switzerland have indirectly been the cause of my now perilous conflicts with Rome and the Greeks). It's been a real challenge to balance the need to keep my settlements happy, whilst trying to get as much money as possible, and keep my troops retraining. I've recently managed to put a grouping of road upgrades into construction from my capital and surrounding regions, hoping to both speed up the movement of my retraining troops to and from the frontlines, and give a small economic bonus. To afford four road upgrades, I had to forgo all but two guard/patrol post stations and one soap/bathing place over four turns in construction!

It's certainly stimulating, but quite stressful, hah. I'm not sure how much I would gain from Gergovia, but it lies adjacent to me, in Roman hands - so it will likely receive liberation at some point soon...

Hehe, you should, every capital is good to capture ! And I think the city will have a positive economic balance directly.
    Indeed, the cities of Germany are very hard to deal with. When playing Cimbri I usually stop to Hattowizha and send troop to Britain before going any further because the land around is well vulnerable and the finances crippled really fast with -2000 everywhere...
    Last edited by Zarathoustra; May 03, 2018 at 12:13 PM.

The spawning legions are indeed spawned, not recruited. There's a script doing so, if i recall from the beta version. I personally found it challenging, albeit the spawning was a little bit too frequent.
    I imagine that, with such a stretched border, it must be really hard to mantain all the armies needed to defend it and, at the same time, develop your economy.

I am actually surprised that dacians, greeks and the other guys on the east haven't backstabbed you yet, as basically, the AI is hardcoded to hate the human player as soon as it shares a border with it, even one single region. This is also what happened when you took the city in switzerland: right when you started sharing a border, Rome attacked you.

I would personally take massalia to completely bottleneck the roman legions coming from italy. It also gives nice income and it has a good roster of mercenaries ( in the mercenary camp), so you might be able to recruit decent armies without need of building full barracks. About taking gergovia, be careful not to get too close to the Gallaeci or they might start hating you aswell.
    Britain is also a good choice, as you basically don't need to defend it

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LoGaL View Post
    The spawning legions are indeed spawned, not recruited. There's a script doing so, if i recall from the beta version. I personally found it challenging, albeit the spawning was a little bit too frequent.
    I imagine that, with such a stretched border, it must be really hard to mantain all the armies needed to defend it and, at the same time, develop your economy.

I am actually surprised that dacians, greeks and the other guys on the east haven't backstabbed you yet, as basically, the AI is hardcoded to hate the human player as soon as it shares a border with it, even one single region. This is also what happened when you took the city in switzerland: right when you started sharing a border, Rome attacked you.

I would personally take massalia to completely bottleneck the roman legions coming from italy. It also gives nice income and it has a good roster of mercenaries ( in the mercenary camp), so you might be able to recruit decent armies without need of building full barracks. About taking gergovia, be careful not to get too close to the Gallaeci or they might start hating you aswell.
    Britain is also a good choice, as you basically don't need to defend it
    Of course, I am currently at war with the Greeks and Scythians. I've fought a number of defensive battles against them already. The Greeks are a real challenge to hold off in cities where I can't utilise cavalry to their fullest. I lost 3000 men holding Segestica.

I did take Massalia, and am now faced with the issue of trying to hold it while reinforcing my armies. The army inside it, of course, is gradually being whittled away, and I can't afford a garrison to replace it - neither can I recruit one from the city. I tried to use it as a makeweight in a peace offering to both Greece and Rome, and was flatly refused, even with an offer of nearly a quarter of a million denarii in tribute on top. Charming.

The thing I find frustrating, and not just part of the fun of a challenge, is the constant stream of legions. I shatterered VIII, saw it go off into Roman controlled Gaul and the few remaining cohorts, including the 1st, merging with some other fragmented units to form a decent army that lay siege to Lugdunon. Next turn, another VIII marches across the Alps. It would really be nice if I could set a time limit on how frequently the AI can respawn a lost legion.

i repeat, build the mercenary camp in massalia to hold it while you build the infrastructure necessary to recruit a proper army. If i recall well you should be able to recruit hoplites, massalian spearmen( basically celtiberian spearmen), archers and some other stuff.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LoGaL View Post
    i repeat, build the mercenary camp in massalia to hold it while you build the infrastructure necessary to recruit a proper army. If i recall well you should be able to recruit hoplites, massalian spearmen( basically celtiberian spearmen), archers and some other stuff.
    I'm aware of what Massalia can produce, having played many a campaign as the Greeks. However, perhaps you are not understanding of the situation - I cannot simply build the mercenary recruitment structure right off the bat, as it requires a handful of other buildings. I cannot build these as the city is constantly under siege and you cannot produce whilst under siege. When it is freed from siege, I seldom have the money spare to build anything at all as it all goes into keeping my armies retrained and keeping problematic areas from revolting.

When I have the means, I will build it, but for now, that is a distant hope.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

A good read laddie but if I guess right you are playing on 0-turn and things are invariably going to get worse, the Romani will just keep spamming armies and with the Legions coming it will be almost impossible to win imo. As a matter of interest 1) what difficulty are you on and 2)are you using the BI or ALX .exe? if it's the ALX then the CAI is much "smarter" & relentless and will punish you seriously on higher difficulty if you are careless, it also retrains units. With the ALX-BAI the battles will be tougher, less crazy across the battle-map charges towards your lines only to withdraw at the last minute and suffer losses being shot in the back from your missile troops, it uses the RS battle system quite well, no easy routs and it uses tactics believe it or not, and if you don't have superior units and/or tactics, expect to lose battles, it also keeps formation well and tries to flank when attacking, fills gaps in it's line when defending and even keeps units in reserve! I use sinuhets' custom AI battle formation submod which enhances all this and imo is the best, I sometimes swear it's almost human. keep the faith, I wish you luck and I will continue to follow your tale +rep
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; June 28, 2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

add -ne to launcher options to avoid crashes.

also, AI like to receive tribute to prove alliances. (100 tribute for 10000 turns for instance is good enough most of times)

and yes, other nations except Rome havent received recent updates and redesigns. We are waiting still on that

Ganking Romans in trap forts is one way, but besides the obvious "beat them and take their cities" the alternative is to get an army on a good-sized fleet, and using artillery/spies/elephants etc, snipe out the cities further in as the AI doesn't garrison non-border settlements reliably.

Then nuke their barracks building. If you repeatedly do this (land on shore, immediately assault settlement, retreat to fleet) you can just hollow out the faction and then there's just the spawn armies to grind through.