Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Thank you for these miniatures that I did not know.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

any news about a new Update
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I'm catching up on things on which I'm late, slowly but surely.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I'm catching up on things on which I'm late, slowly but surely.
    do you want any help ?
    and does the next version contains late era(1400+) or this is left to the minimods ?
    Last edited by M.A.E; May 06, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    do you want any help ?
    and does the next version contains late era(1400+) or this is left to the minimods ?
    I believe that will be left for minimods for now.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Pyres Δt Varanasi View Post
    I believe that will be left for minimods for now.
    can i try then to make such a base of 1400+ submod on the next release ?

Blog Entries

No late era campaign for now. And yes, you can if you want.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but apparently my search keywords are too short for the filter...

Is the latest version (or any version) of BGR IV-E compatible with the latest version of SSHIP?

I've got ThroB but am finding it too shallow, want the depth of SS, and a time period as close to the Norman Conquest as possible. I liked BGR V but as it's Late Era only, it's not for me. I like the difficulty and historical accuracy that BGR offers, hence I'm hoping SSHIP is compatible with BGR IV-E.

If it's not, how does SSHIP play as a historical GAME (beyond aesthetics and place/general names)?

Ps. Have I read correctly somewhere that there is an easy option to display all place and people names in English? I'd like to experience things from "my" perspective.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

None of the BGR version works with SSHIP. MWY has developped a similar system for our mod. We're trying to implement all aspects of the medieval era: unit costs, economic system, traits, ancillaries, etc... Most of the feature are described here (New Features and Version History paragraphs - a bit long but detailed).
    For the name in English, there's a mini-mod that you can find here.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
    Is the latest version (or any version) of BGR IV-E compatible with the latest version of SSHIP?

I've got ThroB but am finding it too shallow, want the depth of SS, and a time period as close to the Norman Conquest as possible. I liked BGR V but as it's Late Era only, it's not for me. I like the difficulty and historical accuracy that BGR offers, hence I'm hoping SSHIP is compatible with BGR IV-E.

If it's not, how does SSHIP play as a historical GAME (beyond aesthetics and place/general names)?
    I'm also a fan of the BGR solutions. However, the generals' wealth is too burdensome for me (keeping track of all the situations takes a lot of time). BGR V doesn't fit my taste as it gives up the regular traits.

Me, I'm much interested in playing SSHIP as a historical game - my mods serve this purpose. Also, the tmodelsk minimods (my opinions are here) improve the historicity of the gameplay. We'll be going in this direction, comment pls if you have an opinion on this.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

OK so, the Cumans managed to kill all their Generals somehow and so they lost the game (all 4 of their provinces rebeled). Now, it was alright for 4-5 turns, however during this time the HRE lost the ciry of Arles (in france) to the rebels too. All fine until i got the message ,, Rebellion in the Steppes'' meaning the Cumans were ,,resurrected'' and guess which settlement they captured...yea. Arles in France haha, all of their other territories (from the actual steppes) are still rebels.

Blog Entries

I've seen that many times and for different factions re-emerging in any part of the map. We need to check the script for re-emergence and see if we can limit the aeras where factions can re-appear.

I haven't chosen permanent watchtowers in the SS_Setup, yet in the campaign I just started, England already has 3-4 watchtowers? I don't want to load SS_Setup to double-check because of the warning in the installation instructions about requiring a fresh install if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
    I haven't chosen permanent watchtowers in the SS_Setup, yet in the campaign I just started, England already has 3-4 watchtowers? I don't want to load SS_Setup to double-check because of the warning in the installation instructions about requiring a fresh install if I do.
    You're right not doing it - the game is broken then.
    At the moment, there're pre-positioned watchtowers. I personally would prefer to remove them so that the player may build up his kingdom also with the watchtowers (perhaps a bit more expensive from what's now). But it would be in the next release, I suppose.

Does every region have them, and you take control of them once you own the region? Or do they only exist for the factions starter regions? Fog of war is a game mechanic and automatically removing it via watchtowers is a bit of a negative point, in my books.

Anywho, I'm off out for the day and hope to play for the first time tonight. Before then, are there any mods (a couple) that people would consider essential for enhancing the historicity of this sub mod even further? I've looked at your suggestions above via that link but A. It was too many to get my head around and B. A lot of them sounded like they changed things that I'd need to experience first before deciding whether or not to mod it.

Hi Heskey,

I think pretty every region has a few watchtowers, but I didn't check it. Yes, once you take control of a region, you also take control of the watchtowers.
    You may read about watchtowers here.
    I do agree with you on the case against the watchtowers and we're likely to remove all the initial watchtowers in future (plus making them more costly). I'm looking into the subject, see here.

Minimods: I've just updated the minimod fixing the traits - see here. Given that the Near/Far Loyalty and civil wars are fixed there, I consider it very useful for the players. I also advise using the PTF submod (and as you may see from the minimap, currently in this submod Poland is the most developed area, followed by Rus). I'm not sure if these files would be compatible with the tmodelsk submods, as he included an earlier version, nevertheless he's made a very good compilation.

Some advice on SSHIP historical gameplay:
    - growth of the settlements is restricted, learn here how to prompt it;
    - keeping order is not easy and civil wars may occur, read here some info and also here and here; and a short info here (but if you're using my minimod, some Alavarias' tricks won't be available anymore);
    - some tips on using merchants are here - in general the provinces are financially "tall" in the SSHIP: they may provide much money if you invest a lot in the infrastructure (bonuses for trade, increase of population) and you keep a good general that prompts income (see differences here). So don't rush conquest, take one or two provinces and concentrate on building them up. And don't keep too many heavy feudal units - they drain on your resources, it's better to disband them and recruit later (what's quite historical: you let your vassals care for their lands).
    - a very interesting piece on units' experience is here;
    - be aware of the plagues in the biggest cities (they're quite frequent unless you build +Health buildings);
    - some basic info on the family processes here - bear in mind that I've tweaked "blood relations" so that any additional blood adds +Popularity.

All in all, in the current version the experience with the Catholic or Orthodox factions seems the best to me - as the Pagans and the Muslims are slightly less developed.
    Be aware of an aggressive pope!

Please report on your campaign in this thread
    JoC
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; May 10, 2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Yes, about the Papal States. They are too OP. In 4/7 campaigns i had this month, the Pope was simply storming everybody, he always captures Italy and then starts to go for HRE and Hungarians. Because he is the Pope, nobody will actually dare to face him (talking about catholics) so he is free to attack and destroy everyone without problem. It should be nerfed, it is annoying when u play as Sicily , HRE, Pisa or Venice and the Pope starts a killing spree, excomunicating u because HE ATTACKS and then every catholic follows his ,,divine mandate'' and start attacking u as well.

Not yet witnessed it (as I'm still on Turn 1 of my campaign) but inclined to agree that in a mod attempting to replicate historical accuracy, it's a poor show if the Papal States are so aggressive about territory.

Blog Entries

Noted. We'll see what can be done