Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beermug's AI and Campaign Rebalance 2.0

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Default Beermug's AI and Campaign Rebalance 2.0

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.
    Just unzip into your data file.

My AI has been used in the popular submod titanium and is a fairly popular stainless steel submod, and here is the little release for total vanilla, because I actually love playing this campaign. This is save game compatible but also compatible with every other mod out there give it a go.

The AI is a very reactive campaign AI, picking fights with overstretched and overzealous factions, it betrays when necessary but generally will try and build alliances against common enemies.
    It will want to be a vassal when pushed back to their last settlement rather than fighting until the bloody end.
    it's much better at naval invasions and using full stacks, you will not see small captain stack spam with this, and for reference, I have seen Portugal invade the Aztecs multiple times as well as Ireland and Spain invading the Apaches, so that's nice.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/38e59hw2ke8ppfp/Beermugs_AI_Pack.zip/file

if people would prefer a different upload site, then I can probably put it somewhere else.

If people want to give me feedback, that's great, I personally have won a long game victory condition with the Byzantines and ran multiple automated campaigns to test the compatibility.

//////////

the second upload is my campaign rebalance. these changes are intended to increase the difficulty of the campaign in a subtle way, most of the changes being quality of life changes for the AI but also a large-scale rework of the world economy to be more beneficial for landlocked regions and castles and more interesting to manage.

This is not save compatible. Reccomended difficulty is Medium.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/c2aewa4jtlu21kk/vanilla_+_mod.zip/file

Starting positions
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

changelog below

Milan is now 'genoa'
    Portugal is now 'aragon'
    Cilicia is now 'georgia'

complete unit stat rework

Removed all '2hp' units and simply gave them a boost to unit size or defence skill to compensate, hp tends to be a little bit broken in medieval total war.

all units doubled upkeep, recruitment quartered to make battles more decisive.

The AI faction heir and leader get given a big boost to be a real challenge in battle, this also leads them to use them much more and makes for a fun challenge.

roads, walls and farms give hidden bonuses to regions that don't have a port, making those regions much more profitable than they are in vanilla without access to trade fleets.

AI is also given a hidden bonus so that they have fewer rebellions and can always construct buildings (there's a similar hidden bonus in the current mod, but i prefer them to always be able to build buildings for free)

I gave each faction 3 of what I consider their 'core' units that they can simply build from walls, it's at a fairly low spawn rate but the purpose of this is to give bigger ai empires better recruitment, and also a buff to factions with lower access to castles (for instance, Milan)

Fixed an exploit with cannon towers (their range is bugged in vanilla)

Complete rebalance of the world economy, to be more punishing to larger empires, castles are more profitable and there's a higher focus on population control and taxes.

Complete rebalance of the startpos for more natural growth.

I made the expansion of cities and castles slower.

AI behaviour also edited within the strat file, see much better army compositions.

a few changes to starting regions.

//////////////

patch notes and future
    two factions have been swapped (aragon for portugal and georgia for cilicia). i personally consider the american factions to be a little bit overpowered, but i'm also kind of fine with that. The Ai has been revamped and made more aggressive
    Last edited by beermugcarl; February 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: 2.0 patch

Default Re: Beermug's AI and Campaign Rebalance

By the pope! This is a game changer, will try both submod, thank you mate!

Edit: Seems like the campaign rebalance link is broken.
    Last edited by Cokjan; October 28, 2018 at 05:12 AM.

4zumi's Avatar This one sparks joy

@beermugcarl

Nice to see your submod. Good work

I have a few annotations, that could be trouble but not necessarily have to be.

-Core Units from walls
    This could be a cause for ctds. You can test it with a faction, that has a lot of unit variety like the HRE. Take Jerusalem, give am the Teutonic Order Building there and built the city completely up. If you get a CTD you have likely exceeded the for recruitment available units limit of if I remember correctly 60 units. Ships and hidden replenishment stats count as well. I remember walking here on a very sharp edge of ctd... So if you added recruitment abilities, you may run into this issue.

-Every faction can horde
    I remember trying this and running into an issue, that the first hording worked fine, but every other faction that hordes after this froze the game. It may be, that it simply took a very long time to form a horde. Just to let you know if you run into that one.

So thanks for making this and if you need any info on something specific or some quirks, feel free to ask.
    Proudly under the patronage of King Athelstan of the Imperial House of Hader

Author of
    Total Vanilla Beyond mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms &
    Developer of
    Total Bananas mod for Medieval 2 - Kingdoms (beta)

Steam Workshop Mods for Rome 2, Warhammer, Warhammer 2

Discord: zumi's cookie corner
    Fighting for launch of "Cookie Friday" and "No Pants Saturday"

does this mod remove forts? can't seem to build any after installation

Quote Originally Posted by 4zumi View Post
    @beermugcarl

Nice to see your submod. Good work

I have a few annotations, that could be trouble but not necessarily have to be.

-Core Units from walls
    This could be a cause for ctds. You can test it with a faction, that has a lot of unit variety like the HRE. Take Jerusalem, give am the Teutonic Order Building there and built the city completely up. If you get a CTD you have likely exceeded the for recruitment available units limit of if I remember correctly 60 units. Ships and hidden replenishment stats count as well. I remember walking here on a very sharp edge of ctd... So if you added recruitment abilities, you may run into this issue.

-Every faction can horde
    I remember trying this and running into an issue, that the first hording worked fine, but every other faction that hordes after this froze the game. It may be, that it simply took a very long time to form a horde. Just to let you know if you run into that one.

So thanks for making this and if you need any info on something specific or some quirks, feel free to ask.
    yeah, the hordes do tend to slow things down, and I assume can lead to some bugging out.
    it's because every single AI unit that belongs to that faction will start walking over to the faction leader, and it won't resolve until literally, every unit that can do that, does that (even all the merchants) it's why I noted which file to not copy and paste in case people don't want that.

i've not noticed any bugs with the units, but i didn't add any extra ones, just allowed recruitment from walls for 3 units for each faction. (and bodyguards at every stage of wall, but that was more of an AI focused changed, so that you see less captains.)

Quote Originally Posted by gbfanjoe08 View Post
    does this mod remove forts? can't seem to build any after installation
    i completely forgot to note this, yes, sorry :/

to be honest, the AI was the main focus of this post, i just released the tweaks that i personally play with alongside it, becauseeee why not. Especially as the tweaks i focus on, encourage good AI and replayability. for instance, forts can really majorly be abused by the human player and can bug out the AI, so chop chop. removed.
    Last edited by beermugcarl; October 28, 2018 at 07:34 PM.

how would i go about adding the forts back in? i don't know the first thing about modding

alright will be honest not the brightest so where to put these in the files.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfanjoe08 View Post
    how would i go about adding the forts back in? i don't know the first thing about modding
    go into the data folder, find descr_campaign_db.
    Open it up and go to the misc section, go to can build forts bool and change to true.

there shouldn't be any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenoverhell View Post
    alright will be honest not the brightest so where to put these in the files.
    Just unzip straight into your main data file. If you are really struggling, i'll PM you some screen shots.

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    go into the data folder, find descr_campaign_db.
    Open it up and go to the misc section, go to can build forts bool and change to true.

there shouldn't be any problems.
    there was an identical line outside of misc that needed to be changed to true, but yes that solved it!

enjoying the AI so far, well done!

So the ai is alot less to attack you if you can kill them and now that they agree to vassalize is actually a cool concept. However would it be possible to change the ai to accept more decisions if their a vassal? Such as attack a faction for me if im at war with them if i ask them too.

small patch with the AI and rebalance.

i took your advice @heavenoverhell and tried to make them more willing to take your commands. unfortunately, short of running forced diplomacy scripts, I can't guarantee it, but it is now definitely much easier.

a couple of other rebalance changes, mostly map issues that i had, like mountain paths and the bain of my existence - brazil. (the ai doesn't notice it's existence).

Default Re: Beermug's AI and Campaign Rebalance 1.1

Seems like a nice mod, so I'm going to give it a try in my next campaign. I just have one question.

The AI is a very reactive campaign AI, picking fights with overstretched and overzealous factions, it betrays when necessary but generally will try and build alliances against common enemies.
    It will want to be a vassal when pushed back to their last settlement rather than fighting until the bloody end.
    it's much better at naval invasions and using full stacks, you will not see small captain stack spam with this, and for reference, I have seen Portugal invade the Aztecs multiple times as well as Ireland and Spain invading the Apaches, so that's nice.
    How does this affect the AI's decision-making against other AI factions? Are they going to try to fortify themselves against all of their neighbours and never declare war on each other unless they have a reason to do so (IE ally is at war with the faction)
    I like it when the world is in a constant state of war and chaos, but I'd like to make sure the AI is capable of acting without having to rely on the player to pull the strings by inciting wars between the factions ;-)

the ai tends to make very few alliances at the start of the game.
    it's programmed to gang up on stronger neighbours and make alliances against them, the world tends to erupt in war sometime around turn 20.

from the campaigns i have played, i have found that the player actually has a strong influence on this due to the alliances the player makes early on, creating blobs of allies.
    but again, when the player gets stronger, these will break and everyone will start to gang up on them.

Fair enough, sounds good.

What else did you change other than disable forts in your AI files?
    I enabled it again but the forts are cheap (at 500 fl), do anyone knows how to change it again? (to 3500 fl)

EDIT: I've changed the fort costs from descr_cultures, apparently it's because I installed the better settlement models.

EDIT 2: Apparently you've changed quite a few modifiers in descr_campaign_db (like assassinate success chance), a changelog would be nice as I genuinely thought the file only changes the AI.
    Last edited by Cokjan; November 24, 2018 at 10:33 PM.

Just started a Byzantine campaing with this submod and I have to say that I'm impressed. Right from the start, Venice accepted a peace treaty with me after I took Durazo, Ragusa and beated them twice on the battlefield. It is so good to no longer have to fight endless wars that serve no purpose. On top of that, a Jihad was called on the Queen of Cities. I was amazed. I think I only saw this on Stainless Stell. Very nice mod so far, definitely recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_chan666 View Post
    Just started a Byzantine campaing with this submod and I have to say that I'm impressed. Right from the start, Venice accepted a peace treaty with me after I took Durazo, Ragusa and beated them twice on the battlefield. It is so good to no longer have to fight endless wars that serve no purpose. On top of that, a Jihad was called on the Queen of Cities. I was amazed. I think I only saw this on Stainless Stell. Very nice mod so far, definitely recommended.
    thanks! i'm glad you are enjoying it, as i said before i helped with the balance of the titanium submod for stainless steel as well.

i just kind of prefer the 'vanilla' feel of this one to be honest. maybe its nostalgia.

Default Re: Beermug's AI and Campaign Rebalance 1.2

I have played countless Byzantine campaings (in many games...) using different mods, but I just like the light purple of the faction in vanilla. Also, this mod has a really good looking map.

plans: I'm essentially really happy with the current state of the mod except for a couple of small things.
    I won't be working on it at all until January due to exams.

my current plans are to make Cilicia into the kingdom of Georgia, this would be a fairly simple task as most of the units are basically the same as if they were a Georgia faction and would be a simple renaming process.
    this frees up the Levante to be better contested between the Islamic factions as well as creating more conflict in the far east of the map. Plus, I just kind of like Georgia.

I will make a couple of startpos changes as well to add to conflict in certain areas of the map as well as bringing the map in line with a 1200AD start date.

//

I'm personally considering removing Ireland and adding in a second Moorish faction or a 3rd Italian faction (Pisa/Naples) OR a crusader states faction.

though, I do realise that Ireland is a little bit of a fan favourite.

if anyone has any opinions on this final point, I would love to hear it.

as I'm not an artist or anything though, whatever faction I would replace them with would essentially just be a reskin of a previous faction, maybe with a slightly different roster.

//

lastly, i'm considering adding in a civil war script and an inflation script, trying to make that late game more fun and interesting.

//

if anyone has any ideas or opinions, you have until around january the 10th to submit them for consideration.

Not exactly related to your question, but I've noticed that the neutral/ally AI often tends to send a small army (1-5 units) far away from their own borders in order to explore (?) settlements in the vicinity of the player, especially during the early game. For example during my most recent game as Egypt I noticed Venice and the Mongols both had sent a tiny army into my lands that didn't do anything except walking around for 10-20 turns after which they seemed to wander off.
    I initially assumed the AI was trying to snipe settlements with a weak garrison but they never even attacked me which is why it seemed so odd.

Is this a known occurrence? What causes it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast