Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

I agree with JLMP and Jurand as well. I think there could indeed be value to there being a Discord for our team and its fans, as a way to just informally chat, or for team members working on something together to have an easy immediate chat function. (I know we usually do things individually, but sometimes there are tasks where you want an immediate input, or where you want to rattle around ideas without having to wait a day for a response.) However, to my mind, this would only make sense as something that is additional to our TWC presence, and which in no way shifts anything over there. Serious suggestions would still need to be in this thread (so the team doesn't lose them), and important communication amongst the team would still be in our dedicated devs subforum. But those things aside, I do think it would be fun to have the rapid outreach on Discord, and to have voice chat as an option for when we need to discuss things. So I would vote for Nemesis indeed setting it up, but for it being a purely voluntary thing, which in no way takes up any of the functions we have here on the TWC.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I have the same position. Let's leave a Discord but keep our good communication habits quiet with TWC

First of all, let me congratulate on the newest SSHIP version, its simply amazing. I was testing out 098 from 17. 5. 21 yesterday and today, and I can confirm this is the best m2 mod ever. The amount of detail is far & beyond, love it. Played with HRE which used to be one of my least fun factions in vanilla m2, but is one of my favorite factions in SSHIP. Did 60 turns yesterday and 60 today Had two crashes, one when besieging Prague, at the end of rebel turn, just when they were about to sally out, just reloaded, no crash. Second one was when Pisa reemerged, at the end of rebel turn, again reload fixed it all. So I would say its pretty damn stable, one crash at turn 34, the other at 93, both fixable by reload, and you also have to realize that once i play SSHIP, it's usually for hours straight I think moving Hamburg to Magdeburg was quite a good idea, north / central HRE feels more balanced, but I did saw quite a bunch of rebels and Danes stuck on the river crossing near Magdeburg often. Can I suggest moving Magdeburg or the river crossing next to it a bit further apart? Also it felt a bit strange when i saw after awhile one can build sea ports in Magdeburg, perhaps this province shouldn't have access to the sea? Also two of my provinces, Bremen and my capitol Frankfurt, refuse to upgrade, although the population reached its required number. Bremen reached its needed population a while back, general died, so right now the population is a bit under the requirement, I'm also dealing with the second civil war right now. But capitol Frankfurt should get upgrade, its population numbers exceed the requirement, am I missing something here? This is why I will paste my save file link here, although I don't consider this like a bug report.

https://mega.nz/file/lL4wTaSB#CkMR3s...G0YDpcoEDRrxP4

Also, the AI seems really good, saw a large army of moors making an invasion on Nice from the sea. Most of the AI so far seems aggressive without being suicidal, that's great! Most of the map at turn 120 still looks historical, and it doesn't have superpowers without anyone to challenge them. Even saw Hungary conquering Bosnia and Ragusa after Byzantines took their capitol from them. Didn't see any civil wars for the AI, were those removed? I guess because of lack of civil wars between the AI the map looks kind of more historical through turns. May I suggest adding civil wars only to huge factions, once a state is at a certain number of provinces, civil war could get more possible?

Anyway SSHIP team you rock, release new version soon, its one of your best, most polished versions so far

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, @Waluk!

river crossing - ok, I'll make it so that Magdeburg doesn't block it.
    access to the sea - I still think it's Ostfalia so it should have as Hamburg is in the province. But might change in the future, who knows.
    Frankfurt- you need Quarries and Farms lvl3. In your case you may hover over the building and it tells "Crop Rotation".
    large_stone_wall city requires factions { northern_european, southern_european, eastern_european, greek, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level builders builders3 and building_present_min_level farms farms+2
    Bremen - hmm, I don't see a reason...
    Civil wars for the AI - it's a question to @Belovese.

I see that I've mis-coded the Stephansdom cathedral... it should be available only in Wien B-)
    I also need to re-make the Baltic Trade building picture - it doesn't go well with the dark-blue background.
    Watermill pic will be smaller in the next version.

I'm up for a discord, also great work with the latest version

Wait, is the 0.98 version already publicly available? I would love to try it as well

I think not, only dev teams and some testers are able to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by umbracatervae777 View Post
    I think not, only dev teams and some testers are able to try it.
    I see, I would love to test it if it's not too much work for someone from the team to provide me a download link

Hello, may I ask when is the SSHIP 0.98 version coming?

This mods incredible. What an achievement. Thank you guys so much.

Just wrapped my 50th lap on the upcoming version of the mod as Sicily, must say that the changes have completely shifted the campaign and battle experience. The Campaign map is interestingly dynamic after the may 17th update. the AI armies and agents are highly hyperactive on the map, thus offering me more actions per turn which is quite brilliant and so far never experienced before in any MTW2 mod ever. the new buildings do not only change the structure of the economy and politics but also enhance a historically accurate and enjoyable element. these 50 turns I did taught me quite a lot about the Sicilian Kingdom mainly by exploring each building and it's influence on the settlement.
    The battle design also evolved quite impressively, the major overhaul of unit skins can be noticed while clashing with other armies which gives the feeling of a completely new mod different from the 9.7 version.

My 50 turns as Sicily ran smoothly with only 1 crash in the 20th turns which disappeared after reloading. In general it's quite an outstanding work done by the team which went beyond my expectations. Next i'll kick off a new campaign in the middle east in the upcoming days to see how the mod will function. brace yourselves gentlemen, the upcoming version is a completely new mod different from what you ever witnessed before.
    Last edited by a Dictator's Cigar; May 22, 2021 at 06:36 PM.

I've also downloaded this last version. But game is opening in only small screen(left top). What could be the issue? Also there is AIswitcher, should I switch this for 2nd one, or it done already?

Quote Originally Posted by Aidyn92 View Post
    I've also downloaded this last version. But game is opening in only small screen(left top). What could be the issue? Also there is AIswitcher, should I switch this for 2nd one, or it done already?
    I had the same issue. Go to configuration.cfg (it's in the same place as the launcher) and open it with editor. Set borderless_window =false and windowed =false

Also a hint, in that same file set resolution to 1920 1080 (it's at 1920 1200, which I assume is a mistake since there is no such option in the medieval folder, so it just resets to 1024 x 768 for me in the game).

Alternatively, you could open the Task manager --> select medieval 2 exe and select "maximize", that will make the game go fullscreen as well, but it's a bit of a hassle imo.

I don't know about the AI switcher, I just ran the thing and switched to second one, shouldn't hurt to do this a second time in case it was already done.
    Last edited by Po0gles; May 23, 2021 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Po0gles View Post
    I had the same issue. Go to configuration.cfg (it's in the same place as the launcher) and open it with editor. Set borderless_window =false and windowed =false

Also a hint, in that same file set resolution to 1920 1080 (it's at 1920 1200, which I assume is a mistake since there is no such option in the medieval folder, so it just resets to 1024 x 768 for me in the game).

Alternatively, you could open the Task manager --> select medieval 2 exe and select "maximize", that will make the game go fullscreen as well, but it's a bit of a hassle imo.

I don't know about the AI switcher, I just ran the thing and switched to second one, shouldn't hurt to do this a second time in case it was already done.

How are you able to download 1.98?

@Aidyn092 & Po0gles

New Campaign AI is on by default, do not run the switch (you can check it by opening descr_campaign_ai_db.xml - the new one is z3n/JLMP)
    Also to fix the windowed mode, just delete all these lines (bold) in configuration.cfg

Code:
    [video]
        ###    If you want to enable windowed mode, uncomment the following settings and adapt them to you screen resolution    
        borderless_window =true
        windowed =true
        battle_resolution = 1920 1200            # Resolution on the battle map - (h*w)
        campaign_resolution = 1920 1200            # Resolution on the campaign map - (h*w)
        tga_width = 1920

Quote Originally Posted by robbyh View Post
    How are you able to download 1.98?
    Only test version is available by PM.
    Meanwhile, the work on 098 continues:

Looks amazing! SIMPLY AMAZING

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Almost forgot, I fixed the army upkeep script for the purposes my mod (apart other fixes I already PMed you about months ago, that added the upkeep for captains) though I see that in the new version you reduced it just to 1000 per siege and nothing else, so not sure if you are actually interested in using the improved version.

I fixed the issue when the secondary generals were receiving the traits as well (which wasnt supposed to happen obviously and you had to pay for them as well) and also that generals on sea were not receiving the trait at all (while they were supposed to, so you were not paying for them)... So now its now working entirely the way that was your original idea I believe.

How the script effectively works now is decribed in a guide for my mod https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7#post16021717, let me know if you want to implement it, so that I can send you the fixed version of your scipt and trait triggers
    Last edited by Jadli; May 24, 2021 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks, Jadli!
    Actually I didn't have time to work on the upkeep for the captains. This would be useful, although I'd like to limit it by adding a high probability for the desertion of the armies-without-generals plus adding a BC-B&S script preventing the armies to undertake attacks unless there's a general in such an army.
    Secondary generals receiving the trait (and thus incurring additional costs) are not a problem as the player should be discuraged from sending "spare generals" for the campaings and then those secondary ones taking over the role of primary ones (so eschew the consequences of the supply trait/system).
    As far as the system is concerned, there're two levels of costs for sieging; there're also costs while traveling by sea.
    Code:
        ;================== AT SEA COSTS ======================================= info through a trait gain message    monitor_event CharacterTurnStart CharacterIsLocal
    		and IsGeneral
    		and Trait AtSeaCost = 1
    			log --- At sea costs --- -500
    			console_command add_money -500
    	end_monitor

monitor_event CharacterTurnStart CharacterIsLocal
    		and IsGeneral
    		and Trait AtSeaCost = 2
    			log --- At sea costs --- -1000
    			console_command add_money -1000
        end_monitor

;================== SUPPLY & BESIEGE COSTS  =========================== info through a trait gain message
            and IsGeneral
            and Trait ArmyCost = 1
    			log --- Army costs --- -250
    			console_command add_money -250
        end_monitor

and IsGeneral
            and Trait ArmyCost = 2
    			log --- Army costs --- -500
    			console_command add_money -500
    	end_monitor

and IsGeneral
            and Trait ArmyCost = 3
    			log --- Army costs --- -1000
    			console_command add_money -1000
        end_monitor

and IsGeneral
            and Trait ArmyCost = 4
    			log --- Army costs --- -1500
    			console_command add_money -1500
        end_monitor

and IsGeneral
            and Trait ArmyCost = 5
    			log --- Army costs --- -2000
    			console_command add_money -2000
        end_monitor
    Code:
    ;======================================================== Supply and Siege Costs;----- Supply and Siege Costs ---------------------------
    ;-- used with script
    ;-- the triggers are ordered in (logically) reverse way but keep this order - this economises on the triggers
    ;-- it's also easy to add other criteria for moving 1->2 and 2->3
    ;-- in one of the GeneralCaptureSettlement triggers there's a drop of ArmyCosts to 0
    ;-- IDEA: introduce at some point criterium related to 1. Embezzler, 2. King having a crown 

;------------------------------------------ 5->0
    Trigger ArmyCost_Remove_BackHome
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd      ; it's possible that at the end you're in enemy lands, but after the AI attack you're in home lands - so use End

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and not InEnemyLands
           and Trait ArmyCost > 0

Affects ArmyCost -5 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 5->0
    Trigger ArmyCost_Remove_SecondaryGeneral
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and TimeWithArmy > 0         ; the first general in the army doesn't get this attribute
           and Trait ArmyCost > 0

;------------------------------------------ X->0   (settlement captured event is in another place)
    Trigger ArmyCost_Remove_BattleLost         ; this trigger is to avoid having the traits when after the battle the army retreats to home territory
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WonBattle
    	and Trait ArmyCost > 0

;------------------------------------------ 5->1
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Remove_Engineer

Condition IsGeneral
           and InEnemyLands
           and not IsBesieging
           and Trait ArmyCost > 4

Affects ArmyCost -4 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 4->1
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Remove_NoEng

Condition IsGeneral
           and InEnemyLands
           and not IsBesieging
           and Trait ArmyCost > 3

Affects ArmyCost -3 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 0->1,  250 fl.
    Trigger ArmyCost_Campaign_HighLogistics

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and InEnemyLands
           and TimeWithArmy < 1
    	   and not AtSea
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 1
           and I_EventCounter DifficultyLevel = 4

Affects ArmyCost 1 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 1->2,  500 fl.
    Trigger ArmyCost_Campaign_AverageLogistics

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and InEnemyLands
    	   and not AtSea
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 2
           and Trait LogisticalSkill < 2
    	   and Trait Military_Edu < 4
    	   and Trait NaturalMilitarySkill < 4
           and not CharacterReligion pagan

;------------------------------------------ 2->3,  1000 fl.
    Trigger ArmyCost_Campaign_LowLogistics

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and InEnemyLands
    	   and not AtSea
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 3
           and Trait LogisticalSkill < 1
    	   and Trait Military_Edu < 3
    	   and Trait NaturalMilitarySkill < 3
    	   and not HasAncType MilitaryEngineer

;------------------------------------------ just a safety valve if the Med2 engine goes nuts
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Started_from_Home

Condition IsBesieging
           and CharacterIsLocal
           and TimeWithArmy < 1
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 1

Affects ArmyCost 4 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 1->4
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Started_HighLogistics

Condition IsBesieging
           and CharacterIsLocal
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 2
           and Trait ArmyCost > 0

Affects ArmyCost 3 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 2->4
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Started_AverageLogistics

Condition IsBesieging
           and CharacterIsLocal
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 3
           and Trait ArmyCost > 1

Affects ArmyCost 2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------ 3->4
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_Started_LowLogistics

Condition IsBesieging
           and CharacterIsLocal
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 4
           and Trait ArmyCost > 2

;------------------------------------------ 4->5
    Trigger ArmyCost_Siege_NotEngineer

Condition IsBesieging
           and CharacterIsLocal
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait ArmyCost < 5
    	   and Trait Military_Edu < 4
    	   and Trait GoodEngineer < 1
    	   and not HasAncType SiegeEngineer    

;======================================================== AtSeaCost
    ;----- At Sea Costs  ------------------------------------
    ;-- used with script
    ;-- in the future might be more modded with RulerOfSicily and MaritimeInterests

;------------------------------------------ this trigger should be before the follwing one!
    Trigger AtSeaCost_Remove_SecondaryGeneral

Condition IsGeneral
    	   and TimeWithArmy > 0
           and Trait AtSeaCost > 0

Affects AtSeaCost -2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger AtSeaCost_Remove_NotAnymore

Condition IsGeneral
           and not AtSea
           and Trait AtSeaCost > 0

Affects AtSeaCost -2 Chance 100

Trigger AtSeaCost_Start

Condition IsGeneral
    		and CharacterIsLocal
    		and TimeWithArmy < 1
    		and AtSea
    		and not IsOnCrusade
    		and not IsOnJihad
    		and Trait AtSeaCost < 1

Affects AtSeaCost 1 Chance 100

Trigger AtSeaCost_BadLogistics

Condition IsGeneral
           and CharacterIsLocal
    	   and TimeWithArmy < 1
           and AtSea
    	   and not IsOnCrusade
    	   and not IsOnJihad
           and Trait AtSeaCost < 2
           and Trait LogisticalSkill < 1
           and FactionLeaderTrait MaritimeInterests < 1	

Affects AtSeaCost 1 Chance 100

I am not looking forward to a general being a de facto requirement for each army.