Thread: Add map_fog.tga to campaign map

Icon5 Add map_fog.tga to campaign map

The TW modding Youtuber GudeaTW told me that it is possible to have the pitch black fog of war on the campaign map like in Medieval 2 (it was introduced there in order to cover the Americas before their discovery).

I did the following:

1) Deleted these files:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War ROME REMASTERED\Contents\Resources\Data\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War ROME REMASTERED\Contents\Resources\Data\data\world\maps\base\map_heights.hgt"

2) Copied "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War ROME REMASTERED\Contents\Resources\Data\data\world\maps\base\map_features.tga" and named it "map_fog.tga"

3) Painted everything black (0,0,0) in map_fog.tga

4) Started the game (normal Rome, not BI or Alexander): map.rwm does not get recreated, but the campaign for some reason still works? Unfortunately no changes to the fog of war were made.

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Add map_fog.tga to campaign map

Opaque fog of war has nothing to do with these files.
    To create the opaque fog of war (M2 Americas style), create a file "data_controlled_features.json" (yes, .json extension) in the data folder. Paste in the following code:

Code:
    {
      "opaque_black_fow": true,
    }
    Last edited by komisarek; December 10, 2021 at 04:20 PM.

Default Re: Add map_fog.tga to campaign map

Easy & it works! Thank you