Thread: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

i keep getting ctd from the version on moddb, playing france turn 4 everytime playing medium/hard
    while playing very hard/very/hard no ctd at all...
    I Came,I Saw I Partially Differentiate

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.E View Post
    i keep getting ctd from the version on moddb, playing france turn 4 everytime playing medium/hard
    while playing very hard/very/hard no ctd at all...
    Thanks for the iinfo. M.A.E!
    don't play the moddbe version, it's outdated (I'd prefer to remove it from there)
    Use the November 098 version (link in sig)
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Game's keep crashing on turn 11 hard/medium as byzantium, log only show weird faction levels on some buildings and nothing more, Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Version pls - 098, November?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Version pls - 098, November?
    Latest one, november one sir.

Foederatus

0.98 Nov Release. Notes on crusaders to turn 30. No crashes so far and enjoying it so far although in last 5 turns Zengids and Fatamids have stopped all out attacks so its now a build up phase. I'm worried th CS will now be over powered and can pick cities off every 5 turns or so with their lovey knights. Will see how things pan out in another 30 turns or so. Loving new buildings and design very nice indeed.

Suggest perhaps adding an extra level or two to mines to make them more important to a settlement, vs what say a port brings in its peanuts. The term goldmine doesn't seem appropriate when you happen to have gold in the province.

Also trade in general in the middle east may be a little too high with the large trade routes, cities and rich resources. Recruitment has been my biggest issue vs actual cash, certainly while the Fatmads were spamming me with constant stacks of low tier units.

Suggest renaming these units to make them sound better and fit in with the "Knights of Jerusalem" etc naming.
    - Foot st.Lazarus Knights -> Foot Knights of St. Lazarus
    - St.Lazarus Knights -> Knights of St. Lazarus

Agriculture chain in Ascalon seems overly productive, communal farms are +5 and the top level goes to +16 the locals must have found a way to eat sand!
    CS faction asked to donate 3k to the Crusaders a few times.
    The 3k gift is great but prob needs a test to not trigger if CS have more than, what 15K when not AI.
    Marinae units seem overly expensive @ 587 per turn for what they are. Aside from costs maybe consider making them only available in cities with ports, with larger port = larger recruitment pool. Another option would be to make them a mercenary unit for faction only in provinces with a port.
    Once Ascalon, Halab and Damascus are captured pressure of crusaders is dramatically reduced in my case by turn 25.
    Canonons of the Holy Sepulchre are underwhelming for a unique unit. Several of the other heavy units are far more durable as the attack is just to slow and they get killed before landing a blow. Raising their HP and or attack could work but I appreciate that makes them more fantasy. Perhaps better as a shield and mace unit? Replace with a unit based around Ritterbrider from Teutonic campaign but with less defense or perhaps just remove. A double strength Constable on Jerusalem or some good defensive type unique as substitute.
    Mounted Sergeants, are these supposed to be slightly faster than regular Knights or have better stamina due to lower Armour. If heaver Knights are available there seems little point in recruiting them. Maybe dial down stamina on some of the heavier knights?
    FL its Turn 27 and he’s still not created any offices for me to dish out. Is that normal?

Also when playing as Georgia (abandoned ~ 50 turns) recruited priest only came with one piety and quickly lost this to be zero. Very hard to do anything with that other than to send them far away and hope they become a heretic is someone else land. Priests for small factions may need a boost, say min 4. Wasn’t an issue with CS due to all the religious significant location and buildings. Its also very hard to get rid of a dud as no option to disband.

Agent units like diplomats and merchants can these please get movement boost for larger provinces on the outer edge of the map. Maybe trait that is lost when not in these regions? I know it’s not 100% accurate if they stumble across Shadowfax but neither is having a merchant take 20 years to go from middle east to northern Russia in search of furs. Marco Polo made it from Europe to China and back in that time.

Once again really liking where this is going.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

0.98 Nov Release

Playing as Venice. Suddenly, stopped being able to recruit any unit in Bologna. I have barracks, ofc, but recruitment slots are shown as 0. Reloading previous save worked but I couldn't reproduce the issue again, there were no building built at the time of the bug, just abbey in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by HaruHaias View Post
    Latest one, november one sir.
    I've managed to move on at the first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    0.98 Nov Release

Playing as Venice. Suddenly, stopped being able to recruit any unit in Bologna. I have barracks, ofc, but recruitment slots are shown as 0. Reloading previous save worked but I couldn't reproduce the issue again, there were no building built at the time of the bug, just abbey in progress.
    Well... let's hope it won't repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by FragBait View Post
    Suggest perhaps adding an extra level or two to mines to make them more important to a settlement, vs what say a port brings in its peanuts. The term goldmine doesn't seem appropriate when you happen to have gold in the province.

Also trade in general in the middle east may be a little too high with the large trade routes, cities and rich resources. Recruitment has been my biggest issue vs actual cash, certainly while the Fatmads were spamming me with constant stacks of low tier units.

Suggest renaming these units to make them sound better and fit in with the "Knights of Jerusalem" etc naming.
    - Foot st.Lazarus Knights -> Foot Knights of St. Lazarus
    - St.Lazarus Knights -> Knights of St. Lazarus

Agriculture chain in Ascalon seems overly productive, communal farms are +5 and the top level goes to +16 the locals must have found a way to eat sand!
    The 3k gift is great but prob needs a test to not trigger if CS have more than, what 15K when not AI.
    Marinae units seem overly expensive @ 587 per turn for what they are. Aside from costs maybe consider making them only available in cities with ports, with larger port = larger recruitment pool. Another option would be to make them a mercenary unit for faction only in provinces with a port.
    Once Ascalon, Halab and Damascus are captured pressure of crusaders is dramatically reduced in my case by turn 25.
    Canonons of the Holy Sepulchre are underwhelming for a unique unit. Several of the other heavy units are far more durable as the attack is just to slow and they get killed before landing a blow. Raising their HP and or attack could work but I appreciate that makes them more fantasy. Perhaps better as a shield and mace unit? Replace with a unit based around Ritterbrider from Teutonic campaign but with less defense or perhaps just remove. A double strength Constable on Jerusalem or some good defensive type unique as substitute.
    Mounted Sergeants, are these supposed to be slightly faster than regular Knights or have better stamina due to lower Armour. If heaver Knights are available there seems little point in recruiting them. Maybe dial down stamina on some of the heavier knights?
    FL its Turn 27 and he’s still not created any offices for me to dish out. Is that normal?

Also when playing as Georgia (abandoned ~ 50 turns) recruited priest only came with one piety and quickly lost this to be zero. Very hard to do anything with that other than to send them far away and hope they become a heretic is someone else land. Priests for small factions may need a boost, say min 4. Wasn’t an issue with CS due to all the religious significant location and buildings. Its also very hard to get rid of a dud as no option to disband.

Agent units like diplomats and merchants can these please get movement boost for larger provinces on the outer edge of the map. Maybe trait that is lost when not in these regions? I know it’s not 100% accurate if they stumble across Shadowfax but neither is having a merchant take 20 years to go from middle east to northern Russia in search of furs. Marco Polo made it from Europe to China and back in that time.
    Mines - yes, indeed, I've got just to find a few hours to implement more levels (I've got pics for 5) and to add more income.

Low tier units spam - yes, this is something that bothers me as well.

Ascalon - addeed desert resource there, it will prevent from building upper levels of farms.

thanks, it's fixed.

I'll update this entry with answers to the other things you've described.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 16, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Hey Beregond,
    I have also been having this issue, with the Zengids. Antioch, Edessa, and al-Basrah all have zero recruitment slots, even though they are quite advanced cities with barracks. Antioch and Edessa began when plague hit them, but there is no causality with the zero slots of al-Basrah. I'm baffled as to where this came from, and even more so how to fix it.
    Also, even though I have met all the requirements for the Syria crown (faction leader with lots of authority and piety, he's sane and in Mosul, enough slots space for another ancillary, I have all the settlements required, a Jama in Mosul, 75k in the bank), but no prompt is showing to give him the crown. What am I looking for? Is this broken? I'm in turn 78 btw, around the 'Thomas Becket dies' event.

Hey Beregond,&nbsp;<br>I have also been having this issue, with the Zengids. Antioch, Edessa, and al-Basrah all have zero recruitment slots, even though they are quite advanced cities with barracks. Antioch and Edessa began when plague hit them, but there is no causality with the zero slots of al-Basrah. I'm baffled as to where this came from, and even more so how to fix it.&nbsp;<br>Also, even though I have met all the requirements for the Syria crown (faction leader with lots of authority and piety, he's sane and in Mosul, enough slots space for another ancillary, I have all the settlements required, a Jama in Mosul, 75k in the bank), but no prompt is showing to give him the crown. What am I looking for? Is this broken? I'm in turn 78 btw, around the 'Thomas Becket dies' event.&nbsp; (I'm also using .98 btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wankenstein View Post
    Hey Beregond,
    I have also been having this issue, with the Zengids. Antioch, Edessa, and al-Basrah all have zero recruitment slots, even though they are quite advanced cities with barracks. Antioch and Edessa began when plague hit them, but there is no causality with the zero slots of al-Basrah. I'm baffled as to where this came from, and even more so how to fix it.
    Also, even though I have met all the requirements for the Syria crown (faction leader with lots of authority and piety, he's sane and in Mosul, enough slots space for another ancillary, I have all the settlements required, a Jama in Mosul, 75k in the bank), but no prompt is showing to give him the crown. What am I looking for? Is this broken? I'm in turn 78 btw, around the 'Thomas Becket dies' event.
    Thanks, @DrW, for reporting!
    1. Crown - can you upload a save? (and confirm you're using the November 2021 version)
    2. Recruitment slots - it happens only in cities (not castle, eg Halab)? You mean that Antioch & Edessa were hit by a plague, then lost some population and recruitment slots disappeared, then plague ended but recruitment slots didn't recover? And with al-Basrah it was just that the recruitment slots disappeared?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 17, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

Reporting back, i'm still having CTD on campaign map, and sometimes on battle map, on campaign is random, when an agent moves or when i'm hovering over a region, my crashes on battle map are on deployment phase usually.
    Can u guys share the hash of the november file? wanna check if my file is corrupted, is hard for me to download again since it's a mega download. Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!

zeng 22.zip
    Thanks Jurand,
    This is my save. My faction leader is in Mosul, and though he's pretty old, one of his traits is still 'fit to be crowned'. It is the .98 version of SSHIP. Weirdly enough, the recruitment slots in Antioch fixed themselves, so now it's just happening in Edessa and al-Basrah. It happened exactly as you said: plague hit Antioch and Edessa, they didn't get their recruitment slots back, and all of a sudden it happened with al-Basrah even though I was able to recruit there in the previous turn. This is my first playthrough of SSHIP, so I don't know what a leader being 'crowned' looks like, though I'm pretty sure there should've been some sort of prompt and there wasn't. I'm having fun with it otherwise, the battles have all gone smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wankenstein View Post
    zeng 22.zip
    Thanks Jurand,
    This is my save. My faction leader is in Mosul, and though he's pretty old, one of his traits is still 'fit to be crowned'. It is the .98 version of SSHIP. Weirdly enough, the recruitment slots in Antioch fixed themselves, so now it's just happening in Edessa and al-Basrah. It happened exactly as you said: plague hit Antioch and Edessa, they didn't get their recruitment slots back, and all of a sudden it happened with al-Basrah even though I was able to recruit there in the previous turn. This is my first playthrough of SSHIP, so I don't know what a leader being 'crowned' looks like, though I'm pretty sure there should've been some sort of prompt and there wasn't. I'm having fun with it otherwise, the battles have all gone smoothly.
    Unfortunately, I'm getting a crash if I try to load it. Is it the November version?

Quote Originally Posted by HaruHaias View Post
    Reporting back, i'm still having CTD on campaign map, and sometimes on battle map, on campaign is random, when an agent moves or when i'm hovering over a region, my crashes on battle map are on deployment phase usually.
    Can u guys share the hash of the november file? wanna check if my file is corrupted, is hard for me to download again since it's a mega download. Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!
    Hmmm, I don't really understand what you mean by "hash"
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hmmm, I don't really understand what you mean by "hash"
    This:
    Hash files are commonly used as a method of verifying file size. This process is called check-sum verification. When a file is sent over a network, it must be broken into small pieces and reassembled after it reaches its destination. In this situation the hash number represents the size of the data in a file. The hash can then be used as a tool for validating the entire file was successfully transmitted over the network.
    More info https://www.lifewire.com/validate-md5-checksum-file-4037391

As a side note, i'm also playing tsardoms without any problems so far, so my game installation is not the problem.
    Cheers

Majkl's Avatar Miles

@Jurand of Cracow
    Since you asked, I will post few comments on mod. I only downloaded it few hours ago, had no time to play campaign yet, but have to say that your work on Hungarian kingdom so far makes me want to have at least short campaign for Hungary, so perhaps during Christmas time.

Disclaimer: My humble knowledge is restricted mostly to upper hungary (Hungaria Superior) so keep that in mind. I do not pretend that I am 100% accurat on everything I say, especially since I am historian of 20th century.

Map (suggestions, rather than complaints or bugs)

Map and provinces looks good. It is hard to make anything "historically accurate" for such early period but I think this is more than good enough. One could say that Nitra, basically rival to Ostrigom, would be better settlement for Hungaria Superior but since princes principality (dunno how to translate it properly; lat. ducatus; from 1046 to 1075 its called Tercia pars regni) was abolished at the beginning of 12th century, Ostrihom is good choice. However, I would suggest to move gold resource further east. It should be in place of present central (river Hron) Slovakia. Basically north-east of Ostrihom. Generaly Carpathians were rich in metals, there were important silver mines in central Slovakia, as well as copper mines in central-eastern Slovakia. But I guess for gameplay reasons, that would be overkill. Gold was most important and most extensive I think, so it is allright.
    There were salt mines in Solivar (near Prešov). They were important from 16th century onward but existence of Slat castle (Soľnohrad, Castrum salis from 11th century) as well as Slaná river (salty river) is proof that it had its importance from much earlier times. Salt has been extracted there during antiquity as well but since you already have Salt resource in Transylvania province, this would be redundant, I guess.
    Carpathians were also source of timber. Danube basin was very poor in terms of timber, Tisa and other smaller rivers were used for river trade with Carpathian timber. So there could be Timber resource somewhere in Hungaria superior as far as it does not ruin balance.
    Central Slovakia was also place where hungarian kings enjoyed good hunt. It has (had rich fauna) so furs resource could be added. But then again, for gameplay and balance reasons it is not necessary.
    Ostrihom lies on Dabunbe but it is more on hungarian (south banks) of Danube. So it could be moved, but again not necessary. Especially if it could screw with road geneation. I especially love how road looke in this mod. In eastern Slovakia there were 5 important royal towns simply because there was a trade route along Slaná and Torysa rivers (protected by mentioned Salt castle) all the way up to Cracow and Halych, so gain, this is great and I would not mess with it.
    I have seen saxon militia in Transylvania. If they are AOR unit, they could be added to Hungaria superiror province (Ostrihom) as well. German element was quite strong around mining towns, especially after Mongol invasion. They were invited by hungarian kings. In Spiš county (eastern Slovakia) they held some collective priviledges. Because of that, they had their own judicial system and other priviledges but on the other hand were responsible for bringing ten well equipped spearmen (lat. lancers IIRC, most historians doubt they were cavalry) for every landownder to kings army. It is mentioned that they are well equipped, so they could have some decent stats as well.

Bugs
    Army barracks have (lvl6 city chain barracks) have no Spear militia to recruit while all other barracks do have.
    Perhaps linen trade resource is WIP? It is two tiny houses, easy to miss.

Other than that, I have no complaints honestly, some proposals but that is it. I will play some hungarian campaign later, so I will keep you updated.
    I have to say that it is really pleasant surprise to see, that you reworked roster as well. I guess crossbow units are WIP as well but I have to praise your work so far.

Summa summarum: FINALLY someone understand, that Hungarian kingdom was not some semi-nomadic conglomerate but feudal kingdom, heavily influenced by native Slavic population that lived there continually till modern day and heavy western influence. I had similar discussion with Lifthrasir in 2016 (you can find it if you check my posts in my profile) where I tried to explain, that Hungary was result of mix of slavic population that lived in Carpathian basin (mostly ancestors of Slovaks, Croats and Slovenes) and nomadic people that came here in 896. While nomads were dominant in military aspect, there were still local nobles as well as western influences in warfare. In cultural sphere, kingdom was clearly rooted in Great Moravian legacy. Majority of magyar lexicon with ties to agriculture, religion and administration of feudal kingdom has slavic roots. As my professor (hungarophile btw) said, there were two major people in creation of Hungarian kingdom – Slovaks and Magyars, or rather ancestors of those two people. Not only both of them took important part in this process, they often had to cooperate. It is really great and refreshing to see that reflected in army composition for example. I was so tired of playing Medieval 2 and not being able to recruit some simple heavy cavalry before reaching later stages of game. So big thanks for that. Sometimes it is hard to discuss this on forum due to people being too emotional.

I would like to praise your work on knights, dismounted knights and spearman. Unlike vanilla SS6.4, not only they look coherent/consistent, they also look really beautiful. I always say "less is often more", especially in case of historical research when there is no much information. If you plan to work on crossbows as well to make them fit "thematically" (basically orange/brown skins) that would be excellent.

It appears to me that mailed knights are available in castles while mag. nobles, mag. cavalry are available in both castles and cities, which could be interpreted as dominant position of ethnically mag. nobles among military elite, while mailed knights could represent ethnically slavic nobles remaining from times of Great Moravia, who were less numerous but still important part of social elite (and following western military tradition). I think it is very nice indeed. Lower class units being predominantly european and similar to other neighbouring countries adequatly represent dominant position of slavic (native/european) population in kingdom, which I really like as well. I am not sure if this was what you intended, but this is the way I interpret it and I love it.

One thing I would change is Hussars though. As unit they belong to later eras so them being "ethnically asian" (having those weird face skins, looking at you CA) makes no sense, especially if we accept theory that it was originally serbian warriors. If they could have predominantly european faces, it would fit better (in my opinion of course). Also I wish they would thematically (orange/brown skins) fit among other reworked units you have done. But hey, these are just my suggestions. Whetever you go for it or not, you already done impressive job.

Post Scriptum: Hungarian kingdom was in many aspects similar to Polish and Czech kingdoms, while at the same time being influenced by rulling family of nomad origin. So I love to see what you have done here. I also think more red and white colours would be historically more correct, but since there is Polish kingdom with this colour scheme, brown/organe pallette is allright and good for gameplay reasons. Good luck to further works!

Hi Majkl,
    thanks for your feedback. We'll use it down the road, I'll also copy it to the thread devoted to Hungary.

The comment on the Saxon unit being available also in Slovakia is good, I've changed the code to include it:
    Code:
    ; for province Transilvania and Upper Hungary provices - so called Saxons:		recruit_pool "Transilvanian Peasants"  1   0.04   2  0  requires factions { hungary, hre, poland, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and hidden_resource hungary and hidden_resource capital or hidden_resource teutonic_knights_chapter_house 
    		recruit_pool "Transilvanian Peasants"  1   0.09   3  0  requires factions { hungary, hre, poland, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and hidden_resource hungary and hidden_resource capital or hidden_resource teutonic_knights_chapter_house 
            recruit_pool "Transilvanian Peasants"  0   0.07   2  0  requires factions { venice, scotland,  england, france, portugal, spain, aragon, moors, pisa, papal_states, sicily, hre, norway, denmark, poland, russia, lithuania, cumans, zengid, turks, rum, jerusalem, egypt, abbasid, byzantium, kievan_rus, serbia, mongols, slave, georgia, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and hidden_resource hungary and hidden_resource capital or hidden_resource teutonic_knights_chapter_house
    Colours: Poland is red, and Venice is red, so the current colour for Hungary (as for, eg, Byzantium) is a compromise.

Hungary has perhaps the most complicated coding for recruitment from the Landowners, eg first level:
    Code:
    ;================================================================================================================================
    ;- HUNGARY landowners2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Numbers are similar to the Polish knights.
    ; Two evolution events taken into account, in the future one may create more.

; Events that might be taken into account:
    ;	105: OSTSIEDLUNG
    ;	140: HEAVY_MAIL
    ;	190: GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN
    ;	210: MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS
    ;	310: TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR
    ;	380: PAVISE_SHIELDS
    ;	440: HALF_PLATE_ARMOR
    ;	510: FULL_PLATE_ARMOR
    ;	600: MATCHLOCK
    ;	800: pike_and_shot

; 1st stage	HUNGARY landowners2 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; no religion threshold for the typical Hungarian units: politically still some pagan influences

; - core of Hungarian elites: available everywhere as they signify the political rule of the faction
            recruit_pool	"Hungarian Nobles"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1		
            recruit_pool	"Hungarian Nobles"					1	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1

; - lesser nobles: only in Hungary core and in the steppes (HR serbia excluded because of Croatian nobility below)
            recruit_pool	"Magyar Cavalry"					0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not hidden_resource serbia and hidden_resource hungary or hidden_resource tartars
    		recruit_pool	"Magyar Cavalry"					0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and not hidden_resource serbia and hidden_resource hungary or hidden_resource tartars  

; 1st stage - Croatian Nobility: historically a more westernised Kingdom of Croatia was in the personal union with Hungary, but kept separate institutions
    ;   (this is only for 1 province - even if Vrhbosna would get the HRs this coding will work as it will not be big enough to have this building before Ostsiedlung)
            recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and hidden_resource serbia and hidden_resource hungary
            recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					1	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and hidden_resource serbia and hidden_resource hungary

; 1st stage - replacement for Magyar Cavalry in the east (axes)
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Mailed Knights"			0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not hidden_resource hungary and not hidden_resource tartars and hidden_resource norway or hidden_resource denmark or hidden_resource scotland or hidden_resource lithuania or hidden_resource poland or hidden_resource kievan_rus or hidden_resource russia or hidden_resource serbia or hidden_resource georgia

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Mailed Knights"			0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and not hidden_resource hungary and not hidden_resource tartars and hidden_resource norway or hidden_resource denmark or hidden_resource scotland or hidden_resource lithuania or hidden_resource poland or hidden_resource kievan_rus or hidden_resource russia or hidden_resource serbia or hidden_resource georgia

; 1st stage - replacement for Magyar Cavalry elsewhere (swords)
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not hidden_resource hungary and not hidden_resource tartars or hidden_resource hre or hidden_resource france or hidden_resource england or hidden_resource aragon or hidden_resource spain or hidden_resource portugal or hidden_resource moors or hidden_resource egypt or hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource papal_states or hidden_resource sicily or hidden_resource byzantium or hidden_resource rum or hidden_resource turks or hidden_resource zengid or hidden_resource jerusalem or hidden_resource abbasid

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and not hidden_resource hungary and not hidden_resource tartars or hidden_resource hre or hidden_resource france or hidden_resource england or hidden_resource aragon or hidden_resource spain or hidden_resource portugal or hidden_resource moors or hidden_resource egypt or hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource papal_states or hidden_resource sicily or hidden_resource byzantium or hidden_resource rum or hidden_resource turks or hidden_resource zengid or hidden_resource jerusalem or hidden_resource abbasid

; 2nd stage HUNGARY landowners2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1
            recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and not event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1
            recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					1	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.8	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter OSTSIEDLUNG 1 and not event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter GOLDEN_BULL_HUNGARIAN 1 and not event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1

; 3rd stage HUNGARY landowners2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------		
            recruit_pool	"Feudal Knights"					0.9	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Feudal Knights"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Feudal Knights"					1	0.07	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted Feudal Knights"			0.8	0.03	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MOUNTED_CROSSBOWS 1 and not event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Feudal Knights"			0.9	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter TRANSITIONAL_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Feudal Knights"			0.9	0.07	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter HALF_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

; 4th stage HUNGARY landowners2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------		
    ;   (not perfectly adjusted for 098 - until compelete review of the Hungarian roster)

recruit_pool	"E Chivalric Knights"				0.9		0.03   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1
            recruit_pool	"E Chivalric Knights"				1		0.11   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

recruit_pool	"Dismounted E Chivalric Knights"	0.8		0.03   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1 and not event_counter MATCHLOCK 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted E Chivalric Knights"	0.9		0.11   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MATCHLOCK 1

; 5th stage	HUNGARY landowners2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------		
            recruit_pool	"Royal Banderium"					1		0.03   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter MATCHLOCK 1 and not event_counter pike_and_shot 1
    		recruit_pool	"Royal Banderium"					1		0.07   2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and region_religion catholic 25 and event_counter pike_and_shot 1

; AI support HUNGARY landowners2 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------		

recruit_pool	"Hungarian Nobles"					1	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter early_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1
            recruit_pool	"Magyar Cavalry"					0.8	0.04	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter early_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1

recruit_pool	"Mailed Knights"					1	0.05	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter high_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Sword Mailed Knights"	0.8	0.05	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter high_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1

recruit_pool	"Feudal Knights"					1	0.06	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter late_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1			
            recruit_pool	"Dismounted Feudal Knights"			0.8	0.06	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and event_counter late_era 1 and not event_counter is_the_player 1

recruit_pool	"NE Bodyguard"			0	0.02	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and not event_counter late_era 1 
            recruit_pool	"NE Late Bodyguard"		0	0.02	2  0  requires factions { hungary, } and not event_counter is_the_player 1 and event_counter late_era 1

Majkl's Avatar Miles

I do not understand coding much, forgive me if I misrepresent anything. As far as I understand, mailed knights in Croatia are "exception" that is result of more westernized Kingdom of Croatia while other parts of Hungary will only have Mag. nobles (Mag. cavalry being AOR) and only gradually will implement western tradition (e.d. heavy knights). First change comes after "Ostsiedlung" (that is german settlers in Hungary after Mongol invasion?) and that change will result in ability to recruit Dismounted Mailed Knights (with sword in Hungary proper and with axe in Transylvania). Then after Golden Bull you get access to Feudal Kts and so on, gradually changing to full westernized army.

I would like to see mailed knights being available in other parts of kingdom, or at least in Upper Hungary and Pannonia, but that is entirely your decision of course.

My reasoning is as follows (I will basically repeat what I said in earlier post):
    The lands of present day Slovakia and western Hungary (Hungaria Trans-Danubiana) were settled by slavic population in times of arrival of old Magyar tribal confederation. Contrary to claim of older historians, this people were not exterminated (at least not completely) and replaced by Magyars. Archaeology and linguistics confirm continutiy in settlement during from early medieval period all the way till present day, especially in lands of Upper Hungary (present day Slovakia). Great Moravia allowed development of social strucutre, including nobles and magnates. This is reflected in existence of so called "noble courtyards" (veľmožský dvorec), of which many survived the arrival of Magyars and even prospered. (Again I am speaking mostly about Slovakia, partially western Hungary; might be different elsewhere).
    After defeat in Battle of Lechfeld in 955, magyar forces suffered heavy loses and were forced to settle in Danubian basin. During this process, they had to cooperate with local nobles. There is very little historical recordes that could shed some light on period from early 10th to late 12th century. It is only in the beginning of 13th century when historical records became much more common practise. However, there are some exceptions. One of such execptions is historical sources in relation to some most important families. Among them, the family of Hunt-Poznaň. Initially, it was believed to be family of german origin. Only later it was accepted among historians that this family is actually two families Guntius and Poznaň, both of native slavic origin. Their slavic origin is deducted from their family names (which were often repeated; cult of ancestors; such as Gonz, Poznaň, Sebeslav, Bíň, Držislav, Vlk, Kazimír, Bukven, Gečä, Kozmas, etc.) as well as location of their hereditary lands – central part of western Slovakia around rivers Nitra and Váh, as well as southern part of central Slovakia (župa Hont, Novohrad, Gemer). There were other (possibly of slavic origin) magnate houses in southern parts of eastern Slovakia – houses of Miškovci (ancestor Borša) and Bogat-Radvaň.
    Important point is, that house of Hont–Poznaň was among oldest and most powerful houses in Hungary and in time period of 11th to 12th century probably most important one. Members of this house were not only part of royal court of Arpád house, but held many important functions – leaders of župa/comitatus. This status is not surprising, since both Hunt and Poznaň were personal guards of King Stephen I. This house later divided into many smaller branch houses.
    There were also many other important families/houses, who held important positions on royal court or local administration. Example given Ludanickovci, who were from northern Slovakia. Among most frequent names used by memebers of house belong Sebeslav, Bohumír, Vítko, Synko. This house also branched into (at least) 8 smaller family lines. In later periods, we can see slow rise of smaller nobles (zemania, šľachtici), who were of local origin as well, many of whom had "sclavus" or "toth" in their name, pointing to their Slovak or at least Slavic origin.
    What I am trying to say is, that slavic nobles, which were result of social stratification during Great Moravian period survived arrival of Magyars and openly cooperated in building new state. Were they minority among elite class of society? Possibly, but they did exist and at least on lands of more or less present Slovakia they played very important role and were very close to even ruling Arpád house. I doubt that they would adopt nomadic way of fight, especially since it is proven that process of modernization went other way, from nomadic to western style. So I believe, it would be not only nice but even accurat to include Mailed kts. in Hungary superior (perhaps even Pannonia) same way it was included in Croatia.
    However, this decision is up to you. I am not in position to demand anything, just sharing my point of view. If you disagree, that is allright. Hope I helped a bit.

Study about Hunt-Poznaň house in Slovak language
    https://www.forumhistoriae.sk/sites/...s/lukacka1.pdf
    Abstract in english
    https://www.forumhistoriae.sk/sk/cla...nt-poznanovcov
    Last edited by Majkl; December 19, 2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: forgot conclusion, some grammar errors

Your reading of the code is more-or-less correct, but the reason for it is to enable the Hungarian faction to be a bit different from the other Latin European, at least at the beginning. This is good for the gameplay. But within historical reasoning - thus heavy archers of Magyar Nobles style a not possible to be recruited in Croatia (even if from the gameplay reason I'd prefer to!). The lands along the Danube can support those Nobles, so it's why it's coded in the way it is. The axe/spear difference for the knights is just a flavour.

Majkl's Avatar Miles

Aha, I see. As I said, decision is up to you.

"But within historical reasoning - thus heavy archers of Magyar Nobles style a not possible to be recruited in Croatia (even if from the gameplay reason I'd prefer to!)."
    Not sure if I misunderstood, or perhaps bug, but I can recruit Magyar Nobles as well as Magyar Cavalry in Croatia (Zagreb).