Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Hey, to have the game full screen you have to open the config file (named configuration.cfg ine the SSHIP_098 folder) and enter your screen resolution.
    look for the section [video], you need to change both the line battle_resolution and the line campaign_resolution to suit you needs.
    Would also be better to change the line just below, tga_width, to your screen width as well.
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

I have a question, I already have Stainless Steel 6.4 already installed. When I download SSHIP 9.7 and extract to the mod folder it says "The following file already exists would you like to replace the existing file with this one?" Should i replace the Stainless Steel files with the SSHIP ones?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Muramasa1794 View Post
    I have a question, I already have Stainless Steel 6.4 already installed. When I download SSHIP 9.7 and extract to the mod folder it says "The following file already exists would you like to replace the existing file with this one?" Should i replace the Stainless Steel files with the SSHIP ones?
    Yes, you should.

But the version 098 on this page is much improved, I'd really advice using this one. Much more stable, inter alia.

Are you going to play a Muslim faction?
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 27, 2022 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Yes, you should.

But the version 098 on this page is much improved, I'd really advice using this one. Much more stable, inter alia.

Are you going to play a Muslim faction?
    I always play a Muslim Faction or the Eastern Romans. I will try the Abbasids. Where can I download 098?

I always play a Muslim Faction or the Eastern Romans. I will try the Abbasids. Where can I download 098?
    Eg. here.

Eg. here.
    Thanks man

Are there any plans to eventually implement the Gracul AI Hardcore Addon with SSHIPP? As you probably know, it makes it so that you cannot give units consecutive immediate movement orders. In other words, you cannot order a cavalry unit to charge, immediately order it to retreat, and then immediately order it to charge again.

Also, thank you so much to Jurand and the rest of the SSHIP team for a fantastic improvement to SS!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Are there any plans to eventually implement the Gracul AI Hardcore Addon with SSHIPP? As you probably know, it makes it so that you cannot give units consecutive immediate movement orders. In other words, you cannot order a cavalry unit to charge, immediately order it to retreat, and then immediately order it to charge again.
    I wouldn't be against it but never thought about adding it.
    Maybe @Macaras has an opinion.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Also, thank you so much to Jurand and the rest of the SSHIP team for a fantastic improvement to SS!
    I don't know how exactly hardcore Gracul AI works, but if the player can't redo a cavalry charge after a takedown, I don't find it good for gameplay. Battle AI often uses this maneuver. Why couldn't the player do it ?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I strogly believe that Germanicu5' lastest BAI with the combination of BAI 4.1 of Xeryx create the ultimate BAI system. Even me that i play battles for day one of this game release i find difficult to win. Cavalry charges , withdraws and repeat charges, units panic withdraw , re group and return to battle, spearmen protect the flanks if cavalry apreas, AI always seak to defend in high grounds, AI cavalry chases player's one if its valueable like a genaral non stop!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Maybe @Macaras has an opinion.
    I have opinions about everything . In this case I think the result may be players frustration "why my cavalry doesn't react?". But I will try it to see how it works..

I strogly believe that Germanicu5' lastest BAI with the combination of BAI 4.1 of Xeryx create the ultimate BAI system. Even me that i play battles for day one of this game release i find difficult to win. Cavalry charges , withdraws and repeat charges, units panic withdraw , re group and return to battle, spearmen protect the flanks if cavalry apreas, AI always seak to defend in high grounds, AI cavalry chases player's one if its valueable like a genaral non stop!
    I would almost agree with Antonius, however there are two huge errors in the battle AI. The first one is the total stupidity with the siege machines. Many times defending a castle I send my cavalry to attack the siege machines and at least rout the battering ram and some of the siege towers, preferably leaving just one ladder. Then the AI crowds next to the ladder trying to get to the walls, and is being shot from every direction and loosing precious time. Maybe few times in hundreds of battles it happened that AI was able to pick the siege machines again and start the attack.
    I wouldn't do this trick it if the attack of the gates was more realistic, but I find that few AI heavy cavalry units attacking through the narrow gates, passing through the battering ram stacked in the middle, decimated by the boiling oil- kills many units of defending spearmen very easily. In my opinion it doesn't make sense..
    The second error is that if the AI is attacked he sends all his army to counter attack, which means abandons his well defended hills and marching toward my well defended hills It takes two cavalry units to attack and withdraw and the AI just starts marching to attack my resting infantry, loosing huge advantage.

are thieves guild removed from the game? They're not showing up for me even though I recruited a lot of spies.

Quote Originally Posted by DoritoJunkie View Post
    are thieves guild removed from the game? They're not showing up for me even though I recruited a lot of spies.
    No, not removed. However, the points are not very much optimised.
    The guilds badly need a moder to improve them...

098 ver keeps crashing everytime I end the turn going on Turn 21 playing as the Eastern Romans. No fix?

098 ver keeps crashing everytime I end the turn going on Turn 21 playing as the Eastern Romans. No fix?
    Upload a save, pls. It has not been reported, and I think there're players playing ERE beyond this point.

Upload a save, pls. It has not been reported, and I think there're players playing ERE beyond this point.
    Upload the save?

Upload the save?
    turn 20 - before crash

turn 20 - before crash
    Upload the save to where?

Upload the save to where?
    anywhere, and provide link here, I'll download it and have a look if I can help

Oops, my mistake. As you may already be aware, it's not the Gracul AI Hardcore Addon, it's the Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI Hardcore Addon.

I don't know how exactly hardcore Gracul AI works, but if the player can't redo a cavalry charge after a takedown, I don't find it good for gameplay. Battle AI often uses this maneuver. Why couldn't the player do it ?
    [In this case I think the result may be players frustration "why my cavalry doesn't react?". But I will try it to see how it works.
    No disrespect intended, but I am more than a little surprised that so many great Medieval II modders and SS enthusiasts are not fully familiar with the Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI Hardcore Addon, or at least don't consider it to be a necessary part of their gameplay. I simply never play without it.

This from the Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI with Hardcore Addon TWC forum page (in reference to the Hardcore Addon part of the mod):
    Exceptional modification for exceptional players – no more unrealistic army micro-management.
    When you give your troops order to attack, better make it count – no second thoughts and decision
    changing is allowed. Command chain is long and it takes time before you can issue orders again.
    I would describe it as follows: Once you issue a unit an attack order (not a movement order, but an attack order), you will not be able to give another order (movement, withdrawal, or attack) to that unit again for a period of at least several minutes gameplay at regular speed. Thus, if you order your vaunted Norman Knights to encircle the enemy line and engage some AlHaqa from the rear, you had better be darned sure that there are no Heavy Spearmen nearby that can come pin you down and slaughter you, because you will not be able to give the order to disengage your Norman Knights for at least a few minutes of gameplay. It makes for much more tactical and exciting battles, and with far less micromanagement and unrealistic constant changing of command orders. Also of note, this command system works for all units, not just cavalry. For example, if I target my archers on one particular threatening unit of Ghulam Cavalry, I had better be sure that I am willing to have them focus on just that unit for awhile and no other, because I will not be able to order them to target another unit for at least several minutes.

While I acknowledge that certainly there would be some who might not like the additional constraints of the Hardcore Addon, if there were a way to make it optional in the set-up, as it is in SS 6.4, that would probably be the best option.
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; June 30, 2022 at 01:11 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978