Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: SSHIP ver. 0.98 - April 25th, 2024 - DOWNLOAD HERE

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 ver. September 8th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    This has probably been pointed out or is known, but I gotta ask. Why are the Norwegian FM bodyguards, the unit of "Chudy"?
    I don't think it's really the case. Can you provide a screenshot?

Hello
    Forgive me if this is a so called "stupid question". I also searched for this topic in the forums, but I didn't find any search function for searching internally in a specific sub-forum, so if this has been answered elsewhere I haven't seen that.
    The install-instructions tells me to "Unpack the 7-Zip file into the mods-folder". Doing so just leads to all the content of the mod being dropped into the mods-folder without being inside a specific mod-folder (the folders called "americas" "crusades" "Divide and Conquer" "SS6.3" and so on). I can only assume there was supposed to be a folder called "SS6.3" or something (like there is in version 0.97) which all the unpacked content of the 7-zip file wa supposed to be inside of? I'm not sure if this is an oversight?

If you thought that this was so obvious that anyone will be able to solve this on their own, please understand that not everyone has the know-how to even pick up on there being anything wrong in the first place. Many people will just follow the install-instructions blindly and be confused when they hit "launch" and nothing happens. Isn't the whole point of step-by-step install instructions to help those people who don't understand these things intuitively?

Anyways, can I just create a folder under "Medieval II total war > mods" that is called "SS6.3", and unpack the 0.98 download into that?
    Can I call the folder something else than "SS6.3" or will that create problems?

Quote Originally Posted by peikern View Post
    Hello
    Forgive me if this is a so called "stupid question". I also searched for this topic in the forums, but I didn't find any search function for searching internally in a specific sub-forum, so if this has been answered elsewhere I haven't seen that.
    The install-instructions tells me to "Unpack the 7-Zip file into the mods-folder". Doing so just leads to all the content of the mod being dropped into the mods-folder without being inside a specific mod-folder (the folders called "americas" "crusades" "Divide and Conquer" "SS6.3" and so on). I can only assume there was supposed to be a folder called "SS6.3" or something (like there is in version 0.97) which all the unpacked content of the 7-zip file wa supposed to be inside of? I'm not sure if this is an oversight?

If you thought that this was so obvious that anyone will be able to solve this on their own, please understand that not everyone has the know-how to even pick up on there being anything wrong in the first place. Many people will just follow the install-instructions blindly and be confused when they hit "launch" and nothing happens. Isn't the whole point of step-by-step install instructions to help those people who don't understand these things intuitively?

Anyways, can I just create a folder under "Medieval II total war > mods" that is called "SS6.3", and unpack the 0.98 download into that?
    Can I call the folder something else than "SS6.3" or will that create problems?
    Hi! no worries, the installation method changed so we understand it could be disorienting for people using to the previous way of doing things.
    SSHIP 0.98 no longer needs to be inside a folder named SS6.3. Instead it should be inside a folder named SSHIP_098, and extracting with 7zip as indicated should take are of that. If it doesn't, you can indeed create the folder /mods/SSHIP_098 youself and unzip the mod inside of it.

Hope it clears things up!
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Indeed, there is a lack in the installation explanations:
    You must first create a SSHIP_098 folder and unzip the zip file in it before launching the mod with the SSHIP 098 launcher.bat otherwise it won't work !

Quote Originally Posted by Belovèse View Post
    Hi! no worries, the installation method changed so we understand it could be disorienting for people using to the previous way of doing things.
    SSHIP 0.98 no longer needs to be inside a folder named SS6.3. Instead it should be inside a folder named SSHIP_098, and extracting with 7zip as indicated should take are of that. If it doesn't, you can indeed create the folder /mods/SSHIP_098 youself and unzip the mod inside of it.

Hope it clears things up!
    Thank you! It clears things up a lot,
    and it clears up why, when I unzipped the 0.97-version of the mod, it had two SS6.3-folders, one inside the other, before the rest of the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I don't think it's really the case. Can you provide a screenshot?
    My bad, its only Burislev, for some reason I was convinced that the faction leader had them too.

But I have a different problem.

- 1. My heir is "Heir Effective", and when the FL dies, my heir becomes "Usurper". So I don't understand how to make him a legitimate normal heir. I don't recall having problems with this in the previous version.

- 2. Burislev got "Conspirator", and I do not understand how to deal with it, I don't even understand why did he have such low loyalty to begin with and how to fix that(I gave him a provincial title).

- 3. I keep getting a mission to marry one of my princesses to the heir. Although they are related.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; February 19, 2023 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peikern View Post
    Thank you! It clears things up a lot,
    and it clears up why, when I unzipped the 0.97-version of the mod, it had two SS6.3-folders, one inside the other, before the rest of the mod.
    You're welcome, and just in case: no need to install 0.97 before 0.98. It is actually better to do a fresh install.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiokhos Euergetes View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but the installalation instruction say install directly into 'mods' folder, is that correct? Not in a SSHIP folder? I did the former and I was told that could not find medII exe

Edit now I just get vanilla medII game
    Hi, no worries, instruction say to unpack and copy the whole folder you just unpacked into /mods/. The unpacked folder should be named SSHIP_098. For more details read my awnsers just above, it's on the same subject.

Hope you make it work!

My bad, its only Burislev, for some reason I was convinced that the faction leader had them too.

But I have a different problem.

- 1. My heir is "Heir Effective", and when the FL dies, my heir becomes "Usurper". So I don't understand how to make him a legitimate normal heir. I don't recall having problems with this in the previous version.

- 2. Burislev got "Conspirator", and I do not understand how to deal with it, I don't even understand why did he have such low loyalty to begin with and how to fix that(I gave him a provincial title).

- 3. I keep getting a mission to marry one of my princesses to the heir. Although they are related.
    I can already awnsers about the point 3: sometimes the game engine fixate about a character an won't change his mind until you accept or the mission is no longer valid (character dead or married or enough children). The same can happen with adoptions.
    Sadly it is an engine issue, we do not know how to fix it.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; February 20, 2023 at 02:20 PM. Reason: triple post
    Belovèse's Toolbox: export text files to spreadsheet, detailed unit stats
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project (SSHIP) team member.
    Mini-mods: diplomacy and relation/reputation - detailled unit stats

So can anyone explain me how to have normal non-usurper heir?

And how do I recruit Diplomats? I am at turn 150, and I cannot figure out.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; February 25, 2023 at 11:50 AM.

So can anyone explain me how to have normal non-usurper heir?

And how do I recruit Diplomats? I am at turn 150, and I cannot figure out.
    Maybe this entry (and the previous ones) would explain something on the usurper issu.

On Diplomats:
    {INFO_AGENTS_DIPLOMATS_BODY}There are few diplomats in the SSHIP. In the early game, a medium-sized faction is likely to have just one, very rarely two. Later, the number will grow, but only if you ensure a proper infrastructure is built. This is because the number of diplomats you can field simultaneously increases by 1 with:\n* certain UNIQUE BUILDINGS, in particular located in a STARTING CAPITAL of any faction (this means that if you conquer another faction's starting capital, your limit will increase; mind that in case of a few factions a City Hall still fulfills this role in SSHIP 098 - until we give each faction such a building).\n* a UNIVERSITY - but only after a certain, culture- or faction-specific, event will have happened (eg. Anna Comnena for the Byzantines, Privilegium Scholasticum for HRE and other western Latin factions, or Location of Cracow for Poland). Mind that this is also valid for the factions that are not able to build the very building by themselves (ie Cumans and Mongols), but would find the building in a conquered settlement. \n* an EXPLORERS or THEOLOGIANS GUILD building - again, this will be true only after a relevant historical event has occured.\n\nWhere should you optimally recruit a diplomat? They usually have better traits if recruited far away from your capital, possibly in a city with a university or at least a library, and with religiously diverse population (a rule of thumb: no more than 60% of the dominant one). Successful missions increase their capabilities, as well as their sight range - a larger one allows using them in the role of spies.\n\nBear in mind that also Princesses can fulfill diplomatic duties. As a matter of fact, they will often be crucial in early stage of the game when diplomats are rare. Note that from mid-12th century, a Noble Lady (i.e. princess from outside your ruling family) will join your faction on average every 20 years - and she is perfectly able to undertake diplomatic missions.

{INFO_AGENTS_DIPLOMATS_TITLE}Diplomats in the SSHIP

Icon10 Re: The CROWNS system

Very interesting, thanks, and upload a save :-)
    The new kings seems to be a keen reader ;-)
    The issue of usurper - regent system, I don't know why the prince got the regent title, would need to study the code. Maybe he was a bastard or adopted? I don't remember if it matters.

I am uploading a save file. The save file is not the exact save file when i captured the pictures, but the new king still inside Barcelona in the save file(inside the .rar, i don't know another technique).France8.rar He may have been adopted i am not very sure.

Ah yes, he reads lots of piety books. I have family member always finds good books from Paris, it has university building in it. He even finds the same book 2nd or maybe 3rd time .

Default Re: The CROWNS system

Quote Originally Posted by K_med2 View Post
    I am uploading a save file. The save file is not the exact save file when i captured the pictures, but the new king still inside Barcelona in the save file(inside the .rar, i don't know another technique).France8.rar He may have been adopted i am not very sure.

Ah yes, he reads lots of piety books. I have family member always finds good books from Paris, it has university building in it. He even finds the same book 2nd or maybe 3rd time .
    There's something wrong with the files, it crashes on my mod (while the other saves, run). Could you save once more and upload it? (unless you've changes some files for yourself, this can be a reason for this crash)
    anyway, your screenshot is here, you may also make another one in line with the other :-)
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 25, 2023 at 02:16 PM.

There's something wrong with the files, it crashes on my mod (while the other saves, run). Could you save once more and upload it? (unless you've changes some files for yourself, this can be a reason for this crash)
    anyway, your screenshot is here, you may also make another one in line with the other :-)
    I am uploading the latest save file. I haven't made any changes to the save file. I am using the 0.98 version (downloaded at 01/01/23). France.rar

I am putting the save into a .rar file. Does it harm the .sav file ? I don't know any other way to share the .sav file to you.

I am uploading another 2 pics inline with the other people's shares. Also I am adding the picture showing the regent king and his city (He is in Toulouse in this latest save.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	France_regent.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	368734

Name:	aa.jpg 
Views:	2439 
Size:	318.4 KB 
ID:	368735

Name:	bb.jpg 
Views:	2437 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	368736

Thanks, now it works.
    I've added your pics to the entry on the campaigns, thanks again.
    You seem not to invest in building Notre Dame - this building is important for architecture and religion :-) For instance, you'd be able to build Mont Saint Michel
    wonder_rouen_msm2_walls city requires factions { northern_european, poland, hungary, southern_european, } and hidden_resource france and hidden_resource england and event_counter faction_turn_catholic 1 and event_counter notre_dame 1 and building_present_min_level builders builders3
    and upgrade White Tower
    wonder_london_tower4 city requires factions { northern_european, eastern_european, southern_european, greek, middle_eastern, } and building_present_min_level builders builders4 and hidden_resource england and hidden_resource capital and event_counter notre_dame 1 or event_counter dummy 1
    and build Huge Cathedral
    huge_cathedral city requires factions { denmark, jerusalem, norway, hre, scotland, france, england, hungary, poland, venice, papal_states, portugal, spain, aragon, sicily, pisa, } and building_present_min_level builders builders4 and event_counter notre_dame 1
    The turn of the events in your game is interesting, seen in this graph.

@K_med2: Your progress is remarkable ! What difficulty level do you play ?

If you installed the latest version correctly without modifying anything since you played it, then it is indeed weird...

If you need to reinstall SSHIP 098, can this help you? :
    Explanations from @Belovèse

Icon7 Re: The CROWNS system

@Jurand of Cracow,
    @kostic,

In the game Notre Dame didn't seem to provide particular benefits, so I did not invest to it too much (. I guess that was bad choice for the low piety. I didn't know that Mont Saint Michel was related to piety but i guess so. I am not French; i was just wondering how is like to play with a central European faction, with less archery units. Archery units are indeed allows you to win battles with very less losses, however i still used them very often in the campaign. The difficulty was VH/VH. But I quickly kicked England out of France and kept stable relations with Aragon. But there was a time I had very hard time from Holy Roman Empire, moved mostly all my power to their border but I've managed to keep them from the original French cities. I think after the 3rd time I've repelled them, I took out their less defended nearby settlements like Speyer, Frankfurt etc. But crippling the Holy Roman Empire took about 100-120 turns. Additionally, I've used lots of spies to open the gates in the first time that I've sieged a settlement; because the Pope does not allow you to siege settlements for more than 1 turn . So spy usage was essential in my progress. A similar advance also happened for capturing the south and middle of Britain. After the England launched an 3rd invasion that I've repelled, I've captured Bristol and Norwich, waited for Pope's ceasefire, then quickly took out London within th first turn after the Pope's mission finished, again with the help of spies.

The current problem actually I've been facing is the following: Now I am pretty powerful, nobody dare to attack me. Hence my faction heir has no chance to improve his capabilities and his authority. The game killed due to old age (64) that guy while crusading Valencia (to improve piety, I requested Crusade, I was going to gift to Papal States after the conquest.) However he had "tidy and clean" trait which allows the character to live until 75+ ages. After this point, the game picked a very low authority and low capable faction member to be the heir. Even though I kill the uncapable heir or king; the game started to always pick the most ill and least capable family member. The latest heir was so ill that he barely moved from his city to the nearest Rebel force in 7 turns, a healty family member would do that travel in just 1 turn. That is the point I guess I stopped playing . In short, due to lack of wars, I was having hard time about my average family member quality. Maybe from the very beginning if I was more curious about the royal line and wish I've started improving Rheims from the very beginning. For most of my campaign, there was no general in Rheims. It stayed as a large town for most the first 150 turns. I was late about the requirements of "crown", it was so late that royal line was disrupted. The below picture shows his movement range and one his illnesses. All of the medieval illnesses are found in his traits He is ugly, cruelly deformed, some other illnesses and leprosy. As far as i know, leprosy illness is developed from the childhood, but he got leprosy illness in his 40's as i remember.

Name:	CC.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	368741

However, I have very powerful family members with their wives being the French princesses with too much charm. To improve my heir quality, I've married my princesses with the strongest militariled minded and militarily educated, compat proven family members. However, the game never picks them for faction heir. Indeed I tried to keep the princesses that I've married with them to have full legitimate nobility ( like mother is noble, not just a courtesan).

I will add the latest save, if you ever look one more time. Currently my family is even broken or the mod is trying to generate a civil war so that a new accepted royal line will be formed. I don't know what to do other than leaving the campaign play

Here is the latest .sav file, if you wish to look again:

France_badHeir_forum.rar

Icon10 Re: [DOWNLOAD] SSHIP 0.98 ver. September 8th, 2022

VH,VH difficulty I've played with.

I've used Norman Sergeants quite often in the beginning as an elite unit. They cost 572 Florins per turn but allows you to confront both heavy cav and heavy infantry. I've used 3 or 4 units of archery unit (2 of 3 crossbow militia and 1 archer(French)) unit in my full stack armies. I've tried to use same Mailed knights in different armies in different battles to reduce army upkeep in general. This helped me a lot for winning against HRE. The rest of my army, my main line infantry, were consisted of Spearman unit, it has 11 defence and 330 Florin upkeep. If you fully upgrade their armor (to the gold armor), they will have 14 defence; which is a very very high number for unit of 330 Florin upkeep, they become very decent unit.

My main tactics were as follows:
    When beiseged, I attack with my full stack garrison to the enemy; mostly tryed to bring the fight in front of the walls where my archers and towers help me to kill of the enemy.
    Both in siege and open battles, I usually try to cripple the enemy's cavalry with 1 or 2 units of Breton cavalry. After this either they dispatch their cav (sometimes general) from their main army or try to fully commit an assault on my main army. If they dispatched their cav and possible general's bodyguard I easily kill them with crossbows, spearman etc. The remaining infantry was very easy to surround and force them to flee. If they commit a full assault on me, I've lots of spearman and 3 4 units of archery units, I generally won the battle, maybe after killing the enemy general.
    Additionally, I've tried to use more cav than enemy if possible. Or a combination of 2 heavy cav and 2 Breton cav. Please note that one breton cav's missile count is enough to entirely kill a mailed knight unit of 60 person. OR you would cripple (reduce their man count to 15-25 men) 2 units of mailed knights instead completely killing an entire unit that will benefit more I guess.

In the very beginning, I took out most Rebel settlements and kicked England out of France. England attacked me in the very beginning, but I completely kicked them out from France. Later on HRE tryed to invade, after I've won the multiple invasions of HRE and England sometimes (they bring their full stacks to Rouen; but they have one armada hence they can only gather 1 full stack army near Rouen), I took out Toulouse and Bordeaux from Aragorn, they're already weak faction, they were challenged by Moors and Castille in Iberia. As far as i remember, even they offered me a peace treaty. With these two extra cities (one of them was citadel ), i did not have diffulties with economy and invaded Britain with my almost full stack armies. After some point my economy was so powerful that I did not have any difficulty.

@Dennis Verbruggen: Version 098 is more stable and more complete than 097. I strongly advise you to install it !
    For this, be aware that there is no longer an SS6.3 folder, but you will have to unzip SSHIP 098 in a folder named SSHIP_098 (Respect the writing so that it is recognized by the mod's configuration file !)
    This folder is not created when decompressing the .zip by default, which is why some players do not understand why their game does not launch.
    Once the SSHIP_098 folder is installed in the mods folder, you just need to find the SSHIP 098 launcher.bat to launch the game.

@K_med2: Your experience is all the more interesting for me as I am currently pursuing a campaign with France, myself in VH/VH. I'm at 1186 and you could see my progress in the thread of screenshots/campaign maps.
    What's good is that I didn't play the same way as you, remaining at peace with the English for a long time. The HRE began attacking me seriously around 1160 and has not granted a ceasefire until today, so it has been my constant adversary for 26 years !
    That's what I like about this game: each campaign can be different even when using the same faction.

Flaws that I have not yet noticed and which seem to be demotivating for your campaign:

1 - be forced to go through the spy to capture a city because the pope threatens excommunication from the first round of siege
    2 - the degradation of the royal family for lack of wars and the fact that the heirs are chosen by the sickest generals
    3 - the inflation of the treasure to the point of no longer fearing any opponent

In my case, the battles follow one after the other (almost only against the holy empire) and prevent me from building. Almost all my money goes into recruiting units.

Quote Originally Posted by kostic View Post
    @Dennis Verbruggen: Version 098 is more stable and more complete than 097. I strongly advise you to install it !
    For this, be aware that there is no longer an SS6.3 folder, but you will have to unzip SSHIP 098 in a folder named SSHIP_098 (Respect the writing so that it is recognized by the mod's configuration file !)
    This folder is not created when decompressing the .zip by default, which is why some players do not understand why their game does not launch.
    Once the SSHIP_098 folder is installed in the mods folder, you just need to find the SSHIP 098 launcher.bat to launch the game.

@K_med2: Your experience is all the more interesting for me as I am currently pursuing a campaign with France, myself in VH/VH. I'm at 1186 and you could see my progress in the thread of screenshots/campaign maps.
    What's good is that I didn't play the same way as you, remaining at peace with the English for a long time. The HRE began attacking me seriously around 1160 and has not granted a ceasefire until today, so it has been my constant adversary for 26 years !
    That's what I like about this game: each campaign can be different even when using the same faction.

Flaws that I have not yet noticed and which seem to be demotivating for your campaign:

1 - be forced to go through the spy to capture a city because the pope threatens excommunication from the first round of siege
    2 - the degradation of the royal family for lack of wars and the fact that the heirs are chosen by the sickest generals
    3 - the inflation of the treasure to the point of no longer fearing any opponent

In my case, the battles follow one after the other (almost only against the holy empire) and prevent me from building. Almost all my money goes into recruiting units.

@kostic

Actually i was never the one who started the wars including Aragorn and England.I remeber i disbanded or moved most of the non free upkeep units from those borders( Rouen and south of france), i guess that was the reason that they tempted to attack my less defended but relatively developed cities. I suggest you to be careful with England, their last invasion attempt was very serious with full stacks mostly composed of miles/miles pedites. As i remember, they managed to take Rouen, they battled the city just 1 turn after they saterted sieging. However iwas able to kill most of their heavy inf in the siege battle so that my late relief force easily managed to take the city back, even using autoresolve battle. So long story short be careful with them, maybe you can even use Rouen as a bait then you can invade London. If you manage to take London, it will give you 10k florin per turn that will seriously help with the economy and war with HRE. Also i had good kings with good exploring abilities; in just 1 turn the good fighter king was able to come to paris from the HRE border. However he was called battler, that is why i was attacked by those two factions.

And for the unable to develop due to war with HRE, i suggest you to build roads or farms whenever you find extra construction money. Because technically with thr same amount of florin, you will be developing your cities for longer turns and try to be active in the war, whenever you have the opportunity try to take out their border settlements, they have 4 good settlements very nearby to each other. After you captured them, they won't be able to cause you much problem. Also it is very pity that other than France, nobody (poland, norway, italian states) attacks them. That is also making them a harder enemy to reckon with

Yes, i agree with your comments for my campaign. Wish i could have invested more on religion and i wish i would have only invested in legit family members, maybe kill the others.

I have one last question unanswereed: is there a way for a FH to know whether he will be a regent/usurper or a legitimate king?? The same question also goes for all male family members. Can we know exactly who is legit and who is not, 100% percent ??