Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Islam unit overhaul Released with patch 2.0

Default Re: Islam unit overhaul Released with patch 2.0

possibly, do you have any suggestions that would enhance the mod?

As I said, I think it's pretty great right now.

I always like to play Stainless Steel with BGRIV or V. Recently I've gone back to BGRIV. That would not be too difficult to implement. I also like the Russian Bulat Steel for their Garrison Script #3, which vastly slows AI expansion, which can be a problem when playing Stainless Steel with a mod like BGRIV or V, as the money and unit limitations for the player make expansion extremely slow. Therefore the AI can snowball rapidly far ahead. Most important of all to me though is the Hardcore Battle Addon, which sets unit order restrictions for the player during battle, so that the player cannot do things like continuously flank, charge, and retreat. Using this restriction the player must wait some fair amount of time after issuing a unit an attack order before he can issue another order, such as a retreat order, to that unit. It's very easy to add and I have already added it to your mod myself.

In the last Medm game I played, I did wonder about all the rebellions in the Holy Land after the Islamic factions had taken Crusader cities. I saw many as Georgia and only had to wait a bit before I could sneak back in and take the cities myself after they had rebelled. But I wasn't able to finish that game as I mistakenly deleted my saves, so I don't know how that may have played out as the game progressed further. It did make it very easy for me as Georgia to take so many cities that had rebelled from the Islamic factions though.

I look forward to seeing what you will come up with yourself in the future, but for now I would just wonder if you might seriously consider adding BGRIV or the Bulat Steel Garrison Script #3. Of the two, I would much prefer BGRIV. I can explain a little about what makes it so good if you like. But it would take some fair amount of work to implement. As for the Garrison Script #3, below is a description from the Bulat Steel Mod. I must admit though, that I haven't played a Bulat Steel game fully through, so I don't really know a lot about this other than in my limited number of early phase game playthroughs, the AI was slowed drastically and had a very hard time taking rebel cities, which may or may not be such a good thing. But no doubt the AI would also not snowball quite so fast, which should be a very good thing according to my experiences with Stainless Steel using BGRIV and V. Maybe you've already addressed that issue in Medm though. The rebellions in the Holy Land seemed to do the trick there at least.

From Bulat Steel:

The garrison script is helping the besieged cities, in the form of a small army, that is, during the siege, units will appear in it to repel the attack of the aggressor.\n\n
    Brief features: Works: Human against AI, AI against human, AI against AI. (I.e. all against all)\n\n

Features of the script:\n
    1) If the player attacked a city or AI, then garrison units will appear in this city (fortress) to protect it.\n\n
    2) After the end of the siege of the city, the garrison soldiers will completely disappear.\n\n
    3) If the AI ​​attacked the AI, garrison troops will be given in the same way as if the player attacks the AI.\n\n
    4) Garrison troops are three independent garrison units (spearmen, cavalry and swordsmen) in the amount of 6 units for AI for 50 years (100 turns); after that 10 squads will be choked and for the player 4 squads throughout the entire time.\n\n
    5) Garrison troops will also come to the aid of the AI ​​if the player attacked a nearby army with a city, or vice versa, the AI ​​sent reinforcements to its besieged city.\n\n
    6) For AI, garrison troops will appear in case of sorties.\n\n
    7) For the player, the garrison troops will appear during the siege and disappear AFTER THE SIEVE, this is done so that the player can make a sortie.\n\n
    8) Troops WILL NOT appear if the player attacked troops near YOUR city or if the AI ​​attacked near.\n\n\n
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; December 19, 2022 at 11:18 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

I read this awhile back and have looked into bgr4. Some of those files are not my strong suit, but I could implement it. I just don't know if I want to increase turn times with all that extra script that would be involved. I still may look at parts of it to add if/when I start modding again.

I prefer to add a garrison script of some sort if I was to increase turn times but need to figure out a way without using bulat steel script since there pretty clear on material usage.

also side note any feedback on extorsion script if you have run into it?
    Thanks

I have never heard of an extorsion script.

I just want to say again how much I love the work you did on the unit models. I'm particularly enjoying the Cumans, Bulgaria, and Volga Bulgaria at the moment!

You know, another mod with great models is called New Teuton, also Russian and on the same Russian gaming site as Bulat Steel. They may be strict with their borrowing policy as well, however, so maybe you wouldn't be allowed to use anything from it, but I'm not really sure. It's really great work, though I prefer your style even more. Another mod on that site to keep an eye on is called Normans, which is listed under Flur-di-lis. It's a slightly earlier era mod, but once again the borrowing policy may be strict.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks for kind words about our local Russian community.

I suppose you can make a collaboration at least with Fleur de Lis creator (Jukoman), he's nearly best 3D artist of M2TW at present, he's working on tactical architecture now. But his scripting skills are less prominent, so you can give him a hand and probably get a permission to unit models in reverse.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

I been modding for about 3 weeks straight now lots of hours, managed to make a garrison script that requires an army quarters building to activate, depending on importance of settlement and other factors such as faction culture will determine how many and type of garrison troops will take effect. It is complete and works great. Hardly any load increase.

Also almost complete with a new faction redo... looking good so far.

@kilgore the extortion script makes it so another ai faction will demand money from you and if not they will spawn troops in your land and attack. I'll look at it again and make sure its firing. I may need to adjust it to activate more. Also glad your enjoying it. Novgorod has some units similar to those also that you may like. not sure if you saw those.

@bitterhowl thanks man I may look into that.
    Last edited by Curt2013; January 24, 2023 at 09:48 AM.

The extortion script sounds interesting. I've always played various versions of Stainless Steel, so I've never played with an extortion script before.

I've taken a look at you new Novgorod and Kiev units, and they look fantastic! I'm downloading version 4.0 and the latest patch right now. I'm looking forward to trying your new garrison script as well as bitterHowl's campaign AI. I'm interested in just what the new Catholic levy models look like as well.

Congrats on the latest version of the mod!

Thank you friend, please give feedback on any new things within the mod you like or dislike and I'm sure the cai would be of interest to bitterhowl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12