Thread: Filipino Total War?

Default Filipino Total War?

Hello. I can honostly say I am NOT a modder. I do not know much about anything modding. Other than making unplayable factions playable with simple discr_strat stuff, I have done not even the simplest modding. What I am though is a history nerd. I am obsessed history. History... and sword collecting. That is how I became interested in the Philippines. In 1565 the Spanish landed, but Muslim people and natives had lived there before. There is alot of history there... and possible battles. Why not make a mod based on this? What if there was a mod where you could play as the Spanish settlers, or Muslims, or the native Filipinos? I think it would be a good idea. Again, I have no modding experience, but I will gladly learn to make this a reality.

Basic Idea:

The three factions are the Spanish (unchanged from Vanilla), Muslims (will require some tweeking) and the Filipinos (basically starting from scratch). Some new units for the Filipinos would the Straight Kris Wielders, Wavy Kris Wielders, Kampilan Wielders, etc. As well as bowmen and gunmen and such. Spanish will basically be the same as the Spaniards from the Americas Campaign in Medieval II Total War Kingdoms. The Muslims (Who will be the only faction with the Muslim faith, the Spanish and Filipinos would be Catholic) might require some new units. Other than that most of the mod would be basically cutting and pasting stuff from the Vanilla version of the game.

Is there interest? Would you want to play this? Is it worth learning to become a good modder for? You tell me.

Heljumper117's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Filipino Total War?

Well I'm no modder also but I support your idea. But only three factions? As my dad lived in the Phillipines as a boy then Gained citizenship and moved to America, there are alot of different dialects of the native language there so obviously, there were different tribes so it could be a pretty fun mod. It should probably be made for Empire TW though since the philipines is a ton of islands and it would be fun to have tons of sea battles. Also it should be staged where the Muslims and Spanish are the advanced invaders killing pagan natives so you should do research on Philipino religions
    Last edited by Heljumper117; June 02, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: more stuff

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

I think you could see this.... maybe you'll be interested:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumd...tara-Total-War

and in this mod (see this older thread), we did plan to include Filipin at our next relase (larger map), maybe you could help us in filipin research?
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...tara-Total-War

thanks...

BTW: this mod is for BI... and it took older time (1511 ish era), so the filipino is not yet christian....
    Last edited by Spike; June 02, 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Heljumper117 View Post
    Well I'm no modder also but I support your idea. But only three factions? As my dad lived in the Phillipines as a boy then Gained citizenship and moved to America, there are alot of different dialects of the native language there so obviously, there were different tribes so it could be a pretty fun mod. It should probably be made for Empire TW though since the philipines is a ton of islands and it would be fun to have tons of sea battles. Also it should be staged where the Muslims and Spanish are the advanced invaders killing pagan natives so you should do research on Philipino religions
    new maps cant be made in Empire, so

Ok, so there is potential. Maybe I might do the research. Maybe they could start as pagan and have the option of converting to Catholocism or Islam, like the Lithuanians in Teutonic. Good idea about more factions for differant dialects. Maybe even add invaders from the mainland (China, Japan, etc.)
    Last edited by BEPALLY; June 02, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Newest proposed factions are...

Filipinos
    Spanish
    Japanese
    Malays
    Chinese
    Pirates/Rebels

I also have a possible unit roster.
    Last edited by BEPALLY; June 02, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

did you plan to made historically accurate mod, or just historically inspired mod? that two will dictate faction listings to be very2 different...

Historically Acurate. All these peoples lived and fought in the Philipines.

Pazu the Kitsune's Avatar Shopkeeper

Siam Total War was originally gonna include the Philippines so i have some knowledge of factions and history of this part of the world.

Possible factions list:
    Local:
    Kingdom of Tondo (Tagalog kingdom in the north)
    Kingdom of Maynila (Tagalog kingdom in the north)
    Maguindanao Sultanate (Islamic sultanate in the south)
    Sulu Sultanate (Islamic sultanate in the south)
    Brunei Sultanate (only if u wish to include Sabah)
    Western:
    Spanish
    Portugese (Portugese had some naval skirmishes right outside the Philippines with the Spanish during the Castille War)

I can even refer u to a couple of folks who might be able to help u (although i havent heard from them in a lil while so u may have to wait):
    Erwin Rommel
    Jan III Sobieski (formerly Klaus von Stauffenberg)

Final note: AUH plans on including the Philippines although to a very small extent, if u ever have time u can check out their subforum

"If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,"

-First lines to the poem "If-" (by Rudyard Kipling)

I did not even consider the Portugese. Sabah might be a good idea. I have been on and off about Chinese and Japanese though. They did exst in the Philipinse, but would they be a playable faction or an emergant faction like Venice in Crusader? Which do you think would be best.

This will require a load of research, BEPALLY. I don't know what armor the Tagalog kingdoms use and there is rare accounts to the Pinoy people before the Spaniards.
    Last edited by Jan III Sobieski; June 02, 2010 at 06:45 PM.

at least, I could support you with description of Melayu-Jawa armour worn by the Moro... (and almost all south east asian kingdoms) - The Pinoy maybe use them too, as they are rather uniform findings (with differences in engravings and helmets, melayu one often bare headed, or worn turkish style helmets (like qapaqulo or junior ghulam in Broken Crescent), while the Javanese ang bugis worn envolved thracian helmet (that found in wayang)

Research I can do. I know the game will take place 1565 to maybe 1665(?) because that is when Spanish colonization started. I have the ideas for Filipino religous buildings. They could be...

Shrine to Maykapal (Pagan) Supreme deity. Increased security
    Shrine to Lakampati (Pagan) Fertility deity. Increased population growth
    Shrine to Amansinaya (Pagan) Fisherman deity. Stronger navy
    As well as Catholic religous buildings.

I have also been thinking about unit rosters. For Filipinos it would be most kris (also known as keris and kalis) wielders with elite Kampilan wielders. The Malays would be a mix of Filipinos and muslim factions. Spaniards (possibly Portuguese) factions couls be the only ones with cannons, but guns will become available to every faction. Filipinos could hire Spanish gunners and Spanish cannons after conversion to show how they eventually became subjects of the Spaniards.

no cannons except spaniards? oh come on... all historical surces of Melayu kingdoms said that they often import cannons from Ottoman and China... you should read some of that, especially Sulalat Us Salatin, and Hikayat Melayu. Aceh is even hinted to create their own cannons and export it to eastern islands, maybe the Moro and Pinoy could got some Middle Eastern - Chinese looking cannons too...

Must have missed that. Thanks. Luckily little changes would be made for Spanish and possibly Portuguese.

aljonzc's Avatar Civis

I hope there's a group of Modders out there that would make this one in Medieval or Empire engine.

If you guys know how to contact those famous modders such as Darth and Germanicu5 of Stainless Steel. Kindly ask them if they could do this.
    Last edited by aljonzc; August 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

honestly there are many muslim tribes and naitive tribes that can be a faction. at mindanao area there are sultanates who are conquering native tribes to spread the area of the sultanates. at visayas, there are mix tribes. like ilonggos and cebuano that are suitable to be a faction. some parts of brunie today is owned by the sultan of sulu. i promise there are many possible factions here in the philippines.

moros have cannons. our family owned many ancient cannons. it is still at our farm. and one of it is donated to the museum.

don't forget the sultanates of mindanao, like sultanate of sulu, sultanate of lanao and sultanate of maguindanao. it can be a great faction. because of them colt 45 is invented.

addition: Sultanate of lanao for maranao tribe.. then in sultanate of maguindanao there are division of power. it is divided into 2 the Sultanate of talik and maguindanao.
    sultanate of talik- the present sultan kudarat, south cotabato, gensan and sarangani
    sultanate of maguindanao- is the north cotabato, some parts of sultan kudarat and cotabato city.
    sultanate of lanao- lanao, marawi city, surallah, nurallah
    kingdom of davao- region XI
    sultanate of sulu- Zamboanga, some part of brunie and islands of sulu
    Last edited by lolIsuck; January 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Multiple posts merged

It would be much better if we split the Filipinos like magdalo and magdiwang factions and Moros too