Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The I-hate-Milan thread !!

Default Re: The I-hate-Milan thread !!

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    I like Milan.
    They always beat France
    I hate France.
    hahaha! i too hate france. i hate them for a variety of reasons. i hate milan, too, for a variety of reasons, and usually like to nip both in the bud early campaign. just so they dont piss me off later on

however, i like the duke etc. family system of milan, makes a change from the countless kings and sultans i butcher on my travels.

"Join the Venetian Army! Meet new people, see far-off countries! Then, after a quiet spell on a sunny island in the Aegean Sea, return to Italy to kick the **** out of the Milanese!"

lol

I always ally with Milan in my england campain, you can rely on them to declare war on anyone you dont like, namely the French

Milan wants some of my cities, but my main problem as a central European power is actually Sicily...

Myrmedon
    PS: for the poster - do not fear, im on the brink of wiping out Milan thier oppressive reign on N. Italy is coming to an end... now its my turn .

I love those Frenchies and they love me.

Milan is the dominant power in my Egypt campaign. They were the only country smart enough to stop crusading against me too.

Milan must die first in my campaign, i'm always briding the pope with cash when attacking these guys, he loves it.

P014K's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Germanicus75 View Post
    Aha, a traitor in our midst! Kill the heretic!
    I think the proper term is "Burn him at the stake"
    Quote Originally Posted by gr33kp1mp777 View Post
    as soon as the game starts, get all your troops together on one or two tile near Milan, leave a good garriosn in one city, ok ones in the rest.........CHARGE THE CITY OF MILAN!!! sack it and genoa, demolish every building, then rebel/exterminate it like ten times. BOOM milan-nuked!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverster View Post
    In 1.2, Milan is very aggressive, consequently, they get Ex-communicated everytime within 20 turns of game starting.

Heres how to get rid of them:

1.Play as a faction close to Milan (Preferabiliy Venice)

2.Build 2 armies, while you wait until they get Excommunicated (usually within 20 turns they usually get on the short with France over Dijon region, or HRE over Metz)

3.Then call a crusade to the middle east, raise a huge-ass cheap army (with as many religious fanatics as you can find)

4. Rush the Genese X-Bowman with your religious fanatics, in loose formation. (Pile them in with the great cross behind them, just to be sure)

5. Watch the slaghter (of your poor men with sticks, you will lost more men than the green **********ds, but those men only cost $50 anyway... En Masse)

6. Dont forget to other army to siege the cities of milian, to stop the Xs-Bow man form coming again.
    Quote Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
    Milan must die first in my campaign, i'm always briding the pope with cash when attacking these guys, he loves it.
    I prefer this strategy;

• Ally Milan ASAP. They usually always will ally you in the first couple of turns.
    • Build an army.
    • Head towards their cities
    • Wait till the armies move out, because they surely will.
    • Betray them before they betray you and take them out.
    Milan always betrays you if you ally them. They are bastards. It is really wierd too how they go about it. First they are fine with the alliance and are good allies with you. Later, however, when you least expect it, they attack one of your cities and wage an all out war against you. I wanted to see how badly they would betray me one game, so I worked out my relations with them to perfect. They still betrayed me....

EDIT:

Also, I tried for the first time to play as the moors. I thought I was safe on the east african front for a bit, so I was concrating on taking out Portugal via Jihad. However, Milan comes with two full stacks and attacks me....

Milan, O how I hate thee...

As they say in Italian;

Va fanculo Milan!
    Last edited by P014K; June 09, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

preston's Avatar Semisalis

i did one campaign with the milanese and they are way to powerful with those damn crossbowmen. i hate the milanese. thanks for those tips you all have posted on how to take those ****er's out! good bye milan!
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

Is there a "I-hate-Milan" fan club?
    If it exists, I sign now !

I have found the Truth, my end and Salvation...

Seleucus I Nicator's Avatar Campidoctor

I also dislike Milan. The reason they are so horrendoulsy overpowered is because of the Italian militias. Italian militias can in autoresolve take on a much stronger enemy force and win. Besides their badass stats of their militias and their wealthy cities, they also have the advantage of only needing to pay 125 florins in upkeep for their militias!

Also, the mailed knights are more expensive to purchase, their upkeep is twice as high and they are not nearly as good in auto-resolve as the Italian militias. Because of this, Milan has no need to construct castles whatsoever, which further strenghten its economy, by allowing them to get higher tax and trade incomes.

It is about the same with Venice. They will always rush Hungary in my games, then head towards Byzantium or Poland.

Sicily on the other hand, don't do as good because the settlements are scattered down there and they are mostly castles, meaning they don't have many Italian militias.

Started a new campaign as the Sicilians, for kicks I sold my alliance to every catholic faction except Scotland, expecting I'd be betrayed by most of them, and needing the cash for gobbling up rebel settlements quickly.

Milan left Genoa completely unguarded for two turns, and I was even a nice enough ally to resist running a cav unit over there from Florence to take it from them.

So Milan attacks France, big surprise, I had a marriage alliance with France and I stuck with France. France had gotten to Bern and Dijon before Milan, and Milan was throwing a hissy fit, and trying to take Marseille.

When they had their back turned while spamming Marseille, Venice snuck in the back door and took Milan from them. I rofl'd, served them right.

Then out of nowhere, Milan lands a small army on Ajaccio and besieges my castle there. Little rat forks. I have two units of peasants, one italian spear militia, one mailed knights and one light cav garrisoning the place, they attack with two town militia and one gen xbow, and somehow they're favored in the balance of power like 65:35.

I start the battle with the classic L shape gate defense, schiltrom the spears to receive the charge, box the L with both units of peasants on top of each other for added density, put them all in guard mode, and stick my mailed knights on the long straightaway so they can charge into the open side of the L.

They come through the gates, get held up in my open end box, I charge my knights, kill their general on the first charge (always open box on the general's side), and they all rout like two seconds later. I chase them down and kill every last one of those little Milanese pests and claim my so-called "Heroic Victory."

I use my turn to build three more good units from my castle, load six on a boat next turn, move them directly to Genoa, their last settlement, lay seige, add two units from Florence and three more good units from Ajaccio the following turn and attack them.

They burn my battering ram, I'm really sick of that. But I have two sets of ladders and use the "they burned my ram" trick of having my ladders attack right next to the gates and then as soon as they're on the wall I run them downstairs to open the gates and rush my cav to the town square, quickly followed by my spears.

I hit the general's bodyguard with four heavy cav and one light cav unit from all sides in the town square while clogging the street with my spears in guard mode to hold off the gen xbows rushing back from the walls to help. Finally kill off the general and run out the clock to wipe those dirty rotten backstabbing Milanese off the map for good.

It was nice to see them get totally owned by, France, Venice, and myself in a campaign.
    When you have a camp divided, find a common enemy and declare war - Machiavelli

in a way it is cool that there is a faction everyone hates, haha, it makes them unique and you can expect them to betray you every campaign!

speaking of that, are faction 'character' types like the one in MTW still exist?

Who likes playing as Milan? maybe least you will know nobody will turncoat.

Ali_the_English's Avatar Tiro
    I live in Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, England

I hate Milan! They have attacked me when I was: Moors, England, Portugal, Venice, Sicily, Egypt and Denmark. I think there should be a new faction, maybe Burgundy, which could stop them becoming so powerful every time.
    Currently working on Dominion of the Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_the_English View Post
    I hate Milan! They have attacked me when I was: Moors, England, Portugal, Venice, Sicily, Egypt and Denmark. I think there should be a new faction, maybe Burgundy, which could stop them becoming so powerful every time.
    bring in the swiss itialy will be a hot spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_the_English View Post
    but burgundy surely wouldnt be nearly close enough to make a difference? milan just needs to be balanced out so they aren't so damn agressive, and maybe their super-militias have soem sort of drawback, as they overpower everything like said earlier. or, the HRE in Bologna or wherever they have should be coded to blitz em first few turns, and take the fight out of em.

of course, then everyone'd hate the HRE. easy come, easy go lol

I always let them go about their business unless im France or Sicily. They're agressive in a lot of campaigns. Its fun when lots of full stacks are around that region clobbering each other. When I play Sicily I beat them down and give their stuff to the Pope so the Pope acts as a buffer while I head south. I havent tried out Milan yet.

Quote Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
    Who likes playing as Milan? maybe least you will know nobody will turncoat.
    I liked playing as Milan, they get great units and get them from cities.

I was determined to be a good neighbor, make alliances, not backstab anyone, and see how the game played out without an ultra-aggressive backstabbing Milan.

...and I got backstabbed by everyone else.
    When you have a camp divided, find a common enemy and declare war - Machiavelli

In my current campaign I'm seeing Milan behave a little differently than usual - instead of rolling over France and conquering Western Europe they've conquered all of Italy except Rome and are now following the Venetian typical route into North Eastern Europe. The Mongols have just arrived and France is still very much in the game, they've even thrown England off the mainland. Of course Milan are just as untrustworthy as ever, but they're staying away from me - it's a nice change to have other AI factions have to deal with the Milanese for a while =)
    Forever in your arms, you said, forever in my heart
    My love for you will make us both climb higher

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast