View Poll Results: When playing Medieval II Total War what is your preference?

Voters
220. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always play Deus lo Vult, only!

27 12.27%
  • I play Deus lo Vult and other mods too

48 21.82%
  • I play Deus lo Vult only occasionally

26 11.82%
  • I do not play Deus lo Vult - I prefer other mods

119 54.09%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: I am a dedicated DLV player, or maybe not?

Laetus

Default Re: I am a dedicated DLV player, or maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    I play other mods too, and see things I like that DLV lacks, but then they get boring. It's usually a case of feeling like I'm playing vanilla after a while, when I try other mods.

I would like to see a load of things changed... the map... some of the factions... some of the artwork... but the game itself is amazing.

So many ideas that are so good they make other mods seem flat and boring.

DLV had given me hundreds of hours of awesome gameplay before I began work on it. Since starting to mod it I've played for thousands and it's still great, I still miss it when I play other mods. But modding for it has taken some of the fun out of it. I really like to explore new units and tactics, and of course designing that side of things ruins any exploration. I don't usually fall for all the traps I've set
    Spot on. Says it all, really. DLV's map could be improved (get rid of America) and there are some hard-coded elements that only M:TW3 will fix, but DLV has extended a 7/10, 3-month game into a 9/10 3+ year game for me. 70+ hours per week, I reckon. Repman and Taiji get +n Rep, but if they have PayPal accounts or similar, I would be happy to contribute towards their beer fund....

ive played other mods but in the end i always go back to dlv

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Patient English View Post
    DLV's map could be improved (get rid of America)
    Haha never will happen.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

Laetus

I generally play DLV, even if sometimes I have to deal with a problem that makes me wanna throw my computer out of the window (at times it happens that when I'm loading a saved game I just get a black screen!! But probably it's just a problem of the old version I'm still using...)!! I've tried some others, not so many I must confess, like kindoms grand campaign or third age, but DLV is still my favourite because I particularly like its complexity and greater realism...And the simplest things are maybe the most pleasant: for example the use of the names of factions and units in their original language!! Probably it's not the only mod doing it, but it's a great number of this kind of things all put together to make it so good!

You know it's bad when you buy fresh unused editons of M2TW kingdoms gold to put away just incase your original disc gives up from scratches. As long as XP exists this game will too! I've reinstalled and got re-addicted with 6.2... Though playing as VH / VH had me swamped too quickly by far better armies (I was England). The Scots from the north, The Danes from across the sea, the Irish from Wales which they'd taken, the Flemish by sea who I'd given Normandy to as a gift. I ran a new game at H / VH and the campaign game is bearable with ALL the hard event settings on. Made Alliance with Scotland, Flanders and the Papal State so maybe I'll some peace this time (until I'll tough enough to withstand a four-front war!)

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by AreysAK View Post
    I just get a black screen!!
    If you are using Comodo Firewall turn off "Defence+" while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokus*Maximus View Post
    As long as XP exists this game will too!
    Have no worries my friend - runs great on Win7 I tell ya.
    Last edited by Slon80; October 25, 2009 at 07:01 AM.

Red_Barron's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Slon80 View Post
    Have no worries my friend - runs great on Win7 I tell ya.

That is great to hear as I have just received my new hard drive and copy of Win7!

I would like to use this first post to give a big thank you to Repman and the Deus Lo Vult team! I have recently booted up M2TW and rediscovered your mod, and it is by far my favorite mod for the entire Total War series so far!

Keep up the good work. Now with a clean install of the game I am going to use some mini mods like BB and the text mod.

Thanks guys for breathing new life into an old game for me!

My brutal, entertaining, futile, and all to short attempt with the hay is just another reason to love this mod.... even in the best i was doing everything was falling apart...

There are some people that, though through no fault of their own, cannot recognize a jewel when they see one. And there are others that, through the faintest of light, can recognize a diamond in the ruff. I am the latter, for upon playing a few turns of this mod, i realized it was indeed the greatest achievement ever made in medieval 2 total war till date. VIVA DLV! It is of no surprise that 95% of my medieval 2 play time is dedicated to DLV

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

A few days ago I installed DLV. As I read in a previous post here in this thread , it"s a mod you either love or hate. In my case , I really love it. My previous M2 mod experience include Stainless Steel , Darthmod and TATW.Here are a few observations after a few days of hardcore DLV-ing:

1.This mod is difficult , very difficult. It's been a few years since I got my ass whooped. Thanks

2.The level of historical detail is unbelievable. Great stuff.

3.Battles are very difficult , with a convincing BAI. Fights seem more epic,lasting longer , and the timing of a certain (counter)moves has become very important. Time your cavalry charge wrong , and you lose the fight , time it rightly and you can turn disaster into an epic win.

4.DLV makes the player plan years in advance. Invading isn't simply moving a stack into an enemy region. First time ever I had to drop a siege 'cause I couldn't support the sieging army anymore.(stuff you read about in history books)

5.Lots of options to finetune your campaign.

A very nice mod , one I intend to play a lot.

It would be cool if Deus Lo Vult had some of the Holy Roman Empire Mod(I forget the name, and I'm too lazy to copy/paste) attributes. Like Patriarchs, bishops etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Saying that people dont play DLV because its too hard is BS. Im an EB addict for RTW, I've played strategy games my whole life and I usually play them on the hardest levels, and I dont play DLV.

The last time I tried DLV was about a year and a half ago and they had implemented a cavalry bug to make the game "more realistic." It immediately killed my interest and I uninstalled it off my hard drive.

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

The "cavalry spread" has been fixed a long time ago...
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Agis Tournas View Post
    The "cavalry spread" has been fixed a long time ago...
    I figured it would considering it was ridiculous. But when I brought it up at the time on these forums one of the DLV members went off on me saying that alot of work went into the cav spread and if I didnt like it leave. So I did.

I may try DLV again as there were a lot of cool features in it and Im sure many of the old bugs that existed are fixed. But this thread is about why or why you arent a dedicated DLV player and thats my reason.

Agis Tournas's Avatar ★ Modder-at-Arms ★

I respect your opinion and I am really sorry that you faced such an attitude on the above situation.
    Anyway, stay cool and enjoy playing your beloved mods...
    Cheers
    Agis
    A mini-mod is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!

Son of Agisilaos / Grandson of jimkatalanos / Great-grandson of Garbarsardar

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarine View Post
    I figured it would considering it was ridiculous. But when I brought it up at the time on these forums one of the DLV members went off on me saying that alot of work went into the cav spread and if I didnt like it leave. So I did.
    I think you missunderstood.[1] I don't think it was personal, but to suggesting SS animation around these parts, should never happend. It's the "It-Which-Must-Not-Be-Named."[2]. It's really an local offencive order.

BL-W
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Myshkin's Avatar Centenarius

Let's have a massive go on what happened to spread animations 999 years ago.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarine View Post

I may try DLV again as there were a lot of cool features in it and Im sure many of the old bugs that existed are fixed. But this thread is about why or why you arent a dedicated DLV player and thats my reason.
    It's a fine reason, but then I would think so since I implemented the fix (Chim deserves the credit for making the fix in the first place).

As for fanboys not listening to criticism and being derisive towards people taking the time to give feedback, there's really nothing we can do about that kind of attitude problem and we find it everywhere, certainly not just in DLV's forum.

It's a shame because obviously we'd get more feedback if feedback got a favorable response. It doesn't need to be acted on of course, just noted and thanked. Sometimes an explanation can make the feedback null, but telling someone to go elsewhere is just ignorant and self-destructive.
    Last edited by Taiji; November 15, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567