Thread: Immersion

Default Immersion

Hey. We all know Empire's pretty good now in a few departments, but I'm always playing Stainless Steel Med II in between Empire, and I've noticed that the game has so much potential that it seems unbelievable there are no more major patches. I mean, now that CA succeeded in fixing the AI to some degree, they're just going to leave it? They should be on the attack! Empire feels wooden, simplistic, just not right. It's fun for a while, but I always end up quitting after one battle. Dunno if it's like that for everyone else.

Immersion is the potential of Empire, and there are so many ways it could be improved with just another patch. I want to feel that the game is dynamic. Every campaign should plat out like a story with real people and events. So:

- There need to be historical events. We should know when nations have uprisings. We should know about their new form of government if the revolution succeeds.

- We should be informed when a nation gets a new leader. We should know what kind of person they are and what their ambitions are like. E.g. Karl XIII of Sweden wants revenge on Russia for defeating his father in the War that lost Ingria and Finland. Louis XIV of France is an expansionist and a careful planner. He dislikes <blank> and <blank>, etc.

- The diplomacy screen needs voices. Only for all the major factions. The rest can be clones and it won't really matter. The voices were really funny and immersive in Med II.

- The diplomacy speeches should be more varied and faction specific. CA already dipped their foot in this for one of the patches, but it's still too boring. They should keep going with it.

- Like we're all thinking, MORE OPTIONS FOR DIPLOMACY. Conditions, proposals, warnings. E.g. "I propose a coalition, majesty, to check the oppression of Louis XIV. His war, you'll agree, threatens both our nations." - Frederich II (Prussia) In a German accent, this would sound so cool. The slots for "France" and "Louis XIV" could be the only variable parts in the quote, not to mention "his/her".

- There MUST be battlefield music. Along with gunpowder, it was a huge part of the era. My battles sound like a G-rated gunfight at the O.K Corral. When the drummer gets killed everyone goes "Awwwwwwwww....(keeps shooting)" We need fifers and more drummers, and bagpipes.

- The shouted commands were a huge step forward, but a little more would perfect the voices in battle. Soldiers in Med II shouted stuff while in battle. I know discipline would keep rankers of the 18th century from screaming "I'll rip out your guts!" but stuff like "I'm hit!" or "Steady boys!" or "Cavalry approaching!" would be so cool. All it takes is one session in a recording studio.

- More on events. Stuff like diplomatic updates so you can see who just formed an alliance with whom, and so on. Historical figures could be events. E.g. A chief bent on kicking Europeans out of North America could result from too much devastation of a Native region.

- The historical tidbits are a good system (not that I can read more than three due to the ongoing text bug) but they should be more involved somehow with the game. E.g. When <blank> is invented, make it a new technology. Which reminds me...

- Expand the tech tree.

These are just my suggestions. Does anybody else know what improvements could be made toward Immersion in the game. I know I'll probably get a "Look CA's just too busy with NTW now none of this is going to happen." but let me be blunt. In NTW, you won't get to build global empires, it'll just deal with Boney.

Default Re: Immersion

I agree with everything you have suggested. I am disgusted that CA will make the game look so good, we buy it and then they leave it. I am looking forward to NTW but I have serious doubts about CA themselves.
    Son of Major Darling | House of Caesars | Content Writer | My Workshop | Moderator

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I whole-heartily agree with everything you suggested. Those things should have been in Empire before it was even released, let alone left for months without. Any of those additions could seriously improve the immersion factor. The immersion in Med II is what dragged me in so that I'd keep playing it to this day, so far Empire has barely been keeping me on simply for the fact if I decide I wish to play it again I don't have to wait a day to download it.

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

There are thousands of mods out there, my son.
    Try them.

But I agree with you, that it should have been CA job to do this.

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

Augment's Avatar Senator

Hopefully they add Napoleons favourite infantry formation , The Attack Collumn

I think the last patch did help a bit with immersion. The 18th century style music on the campaign map was brilliant - much, much better than the original music (especially that grating bagpipe music that seemed to go on and on for ages). I also loved the commands that the officers shout out during battles.

Still, it would be nice if they expanded on those things.

As for immersion in a Total war game, I doubt any game in the series has beaten Shogun. The use of a throne room where you could meet diplomats and consult a wise old sensei on Sun Tzu, the authentic Japanese style art and music, as well as the cinematics really dragged you in to the Feudal Japanese setting. The difference with Shogun and the other games is that you ARE a Japanese Warlord. In the other games you are nothing but a disembodied spirit or god, floating over the world, commanding soldiers here and tweaking taxes there. This time round you are a warlord sitting at his table, moving army pieces around a rice paper map as a Geisha looks on with a shamisen in hand.

No other game in the series has come close to that level of immersion, except maybe the first Medieval.
    I don't think we'll ever see that again in a Total war game because the very narrowness of the setting (Feudal Japan in the 16th century) allowed C.A to create unparalleled atmosphere. When you are dealing with dozens of cultures, empires and nations over a vast period of time (like in Rome, Empire or Medieval) it's much harder to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by devide-et-impera View Post
    MORE OPTIONS FOR DIPLOMACY.
    I definitely agree. Being able to choose what to do with conquered territory i.e. liberate for emergent faction or previously destroyed factions would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by devide-et-impera View Post
    There MUST be battlefield music.
    I recommend this mod - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hlight=grahams
    "We'll do this business with the cold iron"
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDave View Post
    To Russian (now Russian Rebels): Hear that? That is the sound of me putting my large army into your tight little Motherland.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Fozdike View Post
    I agree with everything you have suggested. I am disgusted that CA will make the game look so good, we buy it and then they leave it. I am looking forward to NTW but I have serious doubts about CA themselves.

I saw the video for Napoleonic Total War and it seemed they have ignored history. They had HMS Victory beached as to say the French had not lost the Napoleonic war. Is NTW historical still or is it taking a metaphorical dump on the former titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian_Mossop View Post
    I saw the video for Napoleonic Total War and it seemed they have ignored history. They had HMS Victory beached as to say the French had not lost the Napoleonic war. Is NTW historical still or is it taking a metaphorical dump on the former titles?

Umm.... I hope you're not serious?

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaristh View Post
    Umm.... I hope you're not serious?

Why wouldn't I be serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKnQkVRh8A This video is what I was on about. Specifically him saying he 'tamed Russia' and burnt the Victory at the end. Is it the main trailer for the game or an alternate ending if you win as Napoleon?

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

You do know what the TW titles are about, right? The part where you start at a certain date, then make your own history?
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Um, dude, it's alternative history, as in, if Napoleon didn't freeze his ass in Russia, didn't lose Waterloo, etc. etc.

As in, when you play Napoleon, what you'll pretty much be doing. Total War isn't like a movie, anything can happen. =/

Quote Originally Posted by aus-rotten View Post
    There are thousands of mods out there, my son.
    Try them.

But I agree with you, that it should have been CA job to do this.
    Thanks. I've tried quite a few mods, and some are good, but there are some changes I suggested that may be beyond the capabilities of our modding community as of yet. That said, the mods I have tried are great and it's good that they put so much thought and effort into them.

Quote Originally Posted by StormTheBreach View Post
    I definitely agree. Being able to choose what to do with conquered territory i.e. liberate for emergent faction or previously destroyed factions would be fantastic.

I recommend this mod - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hlight=grahams
    Thanks! I can't believe Graham's Battle Tunes is one I haven't tried yet. Should be awesome.
    Last edited by Astaroth; November 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: merged double post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    You do know what the TW titles are about, right? The part where you start at a certain date, then make your own history?

You realise also that there was a Road to Independence campaign in a game called Empire Total War. My question was regarding a campaign like that! No need to be y

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian_Mossop View Post
    You realise also that there was a Road to Independence campaign in a game called Empire Total War. My question was regarding a campaign like that! No need to be y
    That wasn't very historical either, actually.