Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Request to CA: 3d models editor; modding tools

Tim_Ward's Avatar Campidoctor
    Up High in the North, at the end of my rocky road

Default Re: Modding Tools yet?

We should get a petition saying "we, the undersigned will by NTW if CA releases the mod tools for Empire"

Then, when they release the mod tools, we should then not buy NTW anyway.

See how they like it.
    Dominion of Dust. A city of sand. Built your world of nothing. So how long did it stand?
    A 100 years? Now wasn't it grand? Built your world of nothing. How long did it stand?
    What did you think would happen? When did you think it would all fall down?
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Did yourself right, so let's feel grand.
    Domain of dust in a land of sand. Now there's nowhere left to stand.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Merging with, Modding tools yet thread. And changing title to Request to CA: 3d models editor; modding tools.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; November 28, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Request to CA: 3d models editor; modding tools

We can only trust one person FKING MECHDONALD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Hes the most Badass Mod ever EVER!!!!!!!!!!

I have the most Respect for him seriously !!! I could Just Have a painting of this guy and stare all day rofl

Yet another whiny thread about mod tools. CA didn't release any mod tools for M2TW either, they were all fan made. If you want mod tools learn programming and make them yourself.
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

Clayton Gold's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5 View Post
    Yet another whiny thread about mod tools. CA didn't release any mod tools for M2TW either, they were all fan made. If you want mod tools learn programming and make them yourself.
    Right... So you clicked on the thread anyway....Brilliant.

The issue is the fact that this SDK was part of the original "deal" promised by CA. So far they have chosen to ignore this.

If you are promised something, particularly that you paid for - the seller has an obligation to deliver this.

But I`m sure you already knew this and are deliberately whining about "whining".

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Ward View Post
    We should get a petition saying "we, the undersigned will by NTW if CA releases the mod tools for Empire"

Then, when they release the mod tools, we should then not buy NTW anyway.

See how they like it.

Then I say we find them at a convention and kick them in the shins until they beg for mercy.

The big difference is that M2TW files were easily moddable. I also believe in the past CA was forthcoming with documentation to help understand the files. Neither case is true this time around. In addition, there are files such as the scripts that have been unnecessarily obfuscated. And just to note, I did teach myself C# to make tools, so I've experienced first hand how hard CA has made it.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Much respect for your post

I will learn for the next 10 years thanks for the advice.

We do not whine-whin lol we ask for a simple programme to use 3d model edit and use simple things to move units in 3d it would take no more than 3-4 days at a steady pace to create such a program i know !!!!!!!!! because i make programmes 24/7 p2p mostly things to do with skype and torrents etc.

Lots of love Lmfao

KnightErrant made a model converter (here) several months ago. It works fine. All you need is MilkShape 3D, which is really cheap. By the way, here's that tutorial I mentioned earlier if you don't know what to do.
    "How can you say, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?"

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Honestly, I've gotten to the point where I think CA is going to milk the games (ETW and NTW) for all its worth before the release the of any modding tools

For all we know, they would only release modding tools only after NTW was released, to prevent fans from creating their version of NTW.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    For all we know, they would only release modding tools only after NTW was released, to prevent fans from creating their version of NTW.
    One would have to ask : Are modding tools really such an enormous threat to Ca that they dare not release them for ETW?

Does it really scare them THAT much?

Are Modders so good that they could make ETw better than NTW? Are Ca staff that bad?

If CA were good they should not fear releasing mod tools for ETW...

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    One would have to ask : Are modding tools really such an enormous threat to Ca that they dare not release them for ETW?

Does it really scare them THAT much?

Are Modders so good that they could make ETw better than NTW? Are Ca staff that bad?

If CA were good they should not fear releasing mod tools for ETW...
    Maybe it due to the fact that CA don't want to work too hard to surpass the fans in regards to NTW?

I would be far better if CA rethink their relations with the modding community, where they allow the community to have more access to the game engine, and incorporate the features made by the fans into their next total war game.

This would save the team lots of time and effort, and in return, famed modders can be invited to beta-test their games.

I assume you either didn't pay attention to CA stating they would release tools to the community, or just don't care. Either way, here's a small taste of what came from CA, directly.

One more thing to keep in mind is that we’ve not yet finished testing the mod support fully - that’s part of what’s happening here before the mod dev package gets released. We’re aware that there is currently an upper bound of about 6000 files in a single pack, though it’s very possible to create a mod spanning several packs. But be aware that there is some overhead associated with mounting a pack, and a data directory filled with scores of them will make the game startup time significantly longer.
    http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...odding-system/

Kieran Brigden: Primarily, and of most importance, Empire is moddable without tools. I imagine a large number of people will write their own basic editors for a variety of parts of the game and it's also possible to edit it with other basic apps. Our own dev tool-set isn't for public release as its not UI friendly and is internal software, so the answer there is 'soon' but the game is moddable without tools, although there are some functions for which users may want to write their own tools in the short term.

Kieran Brigden:
    This one links in with the earlier questions on modding tools - we will offer tools in the future and I expect there will be a user-generated map editor pretty soon after release.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/em...w-live-q-and-a

Now, i'm very cautious to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of Baghdad Bob, I mean, Mr. Brigden. However, given that he's a spokesman for CA, I think he has a bit of accountability regarding features unreleased and unaddressed.

Personally, my feeling is that CA is milking ETW (and soon, NTW) through DLC and does not want to risk the community producing a better product. That's how talented this community is and how afraid CA is of them. If these tools ever surface, i'd say perhaps mid 2010 after NTW is released. A guess, sure. But it's a better time line then anything CA has offered yet.
    The extra development time will allow us to finalize and polish Empire, making it the most accomplished and epic of the Total War series." said Kieran Brigden, Studio Communications Manager at The Creative Assembly. "There is a great deal of anticipation around Empire: Total War and we want to ensure that it is the benchmark for strategy games upon its release.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123