Thread: Early game Crusader states strategy (RR/RC)?

Default Early game Crusader states strategy (RR/RC)?

Just starting a Crusader States campaign in 6.1 RR/RC and im just wondering what are some of the early game strategies considering they have no castles.

Questions about submods should be asked in the submods forum.
    -Caesar Clivus
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; December 18, 2009 at 06:03 PM.

Velico's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Early game Crusader states strategy?

Try to unify your states. When I played I started off taking Tripoli (weakest in the immediate area, decent income). From there I sieged Aleppo down so that I could keep sending troops there for when they decided to attack. Acre was next, took a boat from Antioch there and fought mostly with the cheap troops, keeping the better ones in Jerusalem. After that Damascus and finally Kerak (if Egypt hasn't taken it already). Kerak tends to piss off Egypt though so if you do manage to take it be prepared for imminent war. Once you go to war with Egypt (you will, and probably before 50 turns in) immediately call for a crusade on Gaza (preferable, it's where all their good troops come from) and if Gaza isn't available call it on Cairo (financial center).

Also, as for building goes, right off the bat I went for the City Watch to get those crossbows and spear militia out faster. Jerusalem and Edessa I made financial buildings since their economy struggles early on. Antioch was my base of operations, doesn't have to be yours, just thought I'd suggest it.

If you find yourself having trouble taking Egypt on headfirst, raid Alexandria and Damietta. Destroy their buildings and let them retake it (or go rebel, either way it's good for you). Cairo is a good place to sack if you can get there but it's usually not easy. Good luck! And may your swords find the enemy swiftly!
    Last edited by Velico; December 18, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired.
    RS II - Beta Tester, VVV:TW Historical Researcher