Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: The Heralded Better AI for ETW Vanilla!

Default Re: The Heralded Better AI for ETW Vanilla!

I haven't been around for 2/3 weeks and haven't touched ETW or any game for that long ever since the Ft. Hood tragedy. The period after called for my immediate/absolute attention.
    I have read the most recent ETW blog post and it comes with grim news.

Blog about BAI

Basically, anything we think we are doing to fix the BAI is false. And it is as every programmer/modder suspected, but did not want to believe, we cannot affect the BAI. The BAI is messed up because the coding was left undone/completed with known issues left in (same difference). I am sorry to say it, but there is nothing we can do. They will never release that code because that is the asset of their software. :p Tell me what y'all think.

P.S. Yeah, I forgot to include that they intend to either reverse engineer the code or recreate the code using rtw methods for NTW. Woopie. 6-18 month wait.
    Last edited by Tan Zhi Han; November 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

@Tan,

You're right insofar as NTW is concerned. However, to give NTW a good review the BAI MUST be better than ETW and as such there remains a high probability that the code can be "reversed engineered" back into ETW without compromising NTW's code.

If you read carefully what he said, He states that "We'll see if we can reverse engineer it back in" basically.

He didn't say "Tough crap, later."

I'm tellin' you that if they DON'T blog something soon regarding the BAI process, there'll be a BIG blowout with US & SEGA/CA.
    No joking with that one brother.
    A LOT of people spent a LOT of money on the S.F. edition and the regular ETW.

I'll be unhappy to say the least and won't buy from them again to say the most!

BTW, TAN, What happened to the 3.9.2 Darthcode for ETW?

hellas1,2,3, Booooom!
    Last edited by hellas1; November 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

So is this effort more or less a lost cause? Tan? Morgan? hellas? The "BAI Rangers" can't give up. I continually get drawn back to ETW because of how great it looks and feels and how well the visual presentation is but then I'm continually let down when AI soldiers run around aimlessly and mob together in a big blob. It's maddening to no end.

Darth and Tan have made great efforts and sometimes these changes seem to help but overall, I find battles to still be unplayable.

I had an idea. What if somebody opened a second steam account, downloaded the demo and then analyzed all the files that Darth and Tan and everyone has been tweaking. Maybe if we look at those files in the demo, they will indicate settings to change in the actual ETW game files. Any reason this wouldn't work? Because to be honest, I found the freakin DEMO BAI to be better than what we have now. Now if that doesn't indicate a problem nothing does.

Last edited by ♔Dignan♔; December 09, 2009 at 07:46 PM.

Most of the Demo BAI was scripted.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPatrick View Post
    Most of the Demo BAI was scripted.
    Good point. I forgot about that. Were there any files in the demo to alter like kv_morale, battle_entities or kv_rules table? Anything at all that could help?

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Hey Dignan,im still here my friend

Still playing Empires daily!!!
    I try to ''see through'' any melee-screwups and enjoy whatever is good about Empires,and there is a lot as we all know!
    The game(without the BAi) is too much fun for a military history addict like me ,i cannot stop playing!

1 thing tho,in contrast with GC,in my experience Custom FULL stack battles are like playing any chosen battle from the medieval of Classical eras,one big melee ,but i only play GC anyway!

When the latest DLC came out,i was forced to play unmodded(vanilla) for a few hours and decided to play a big custom battle,just for fun,Fun ?? Noooooooooo
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Even the (British)grenadiers stormed right into my linesNo ai shots fired
    Why are so many players enjoying this? why arent there thousands of players,like us, protesting against these medievalesk battles,why o why ?

The ''No complaints about bai'' players on Official forums even get angry at us for keeping the bAI threads alive;they say;NO,the battles are fun,its great,and we like the melee and why dont you stop insulting CA? ''Insulting'' ??? What the...??
    Or they say ;try and play with small or medium units!!
    YEAH RIGHT,nice full stack battles with 500 v 500(actually tried that to be honest,but even with medium units,the melee-tendency is still there)
    before the 1.4 ,i had 10.000 v 10.000 battles,with an AI who actually Fired their Muskets !

And thats what we only want,The AI to FIRE their MUSKETS,is that so hard to understand? Its that too much to ask for ?

Im still playing with this darthformationsmod fix(?) added to TAR mod
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310627
    Is it the latest version btw ?

As far as an official CA fix goes;im hoping for an improved BAi for NTW and naturally a reversion back to empires,but if this will happen i dont know!
    If they keep the same Bai for NTW,the Napoleontic battles will be ridiculous to say the least

I wish that someone would upload a fix which includes taking away all melee stats from all infantry units,and only keep the firing ones!

With regards
    Last edited by MorganH.; December 10, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Hi all,

I forgot to use threads already existent for complaining about the BAI & was reprimanded by a moderator.

Anyway, I sent 2 emails to Sega already. NO response back.
    I wonder if I send a letter if that will do anything?

NTW won't integrate ANYTHING back into ETW.
    On the official forums, Someone said that a programming position was still open!
    Code anyone, for BAI?

Anyway, I did notice that when unit settings are set to Medium, squares & melee nosedives tend to happen less frequently, but it doesn't fix the BAI obviously. It's just a slight tweak.

Maybe it is "Send Sega a letter time"
    hellas1
    Peace Out

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    Hi all,

I forgot to use threads already existent for complaining about the BAI & was reprimanded by a moderator.

Anyway, I sent 2 emails to Sega already. NO response back.
    I wonder if I send a letter if that will do anything?

NTW won't integrate ANYTHING back into ETW.
    On the official forums, Someone said that a programming position was still open!
    Code anyone, for BAI?

Anyway, I did notice that when unit settings are set to Medium, squares & melee nosedives tend to happen less frequently, but it doesn't fix the BAI obviously. It's just a slight tweak.

Maybe it is "Send Sega a letter time"
    hellas1
    Peace Out
    If you do decide to send a letter, which I wholeheartedly support, ask them if they can simply revert the BAI files back to 1.3. I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that this would fix the game to an "acceptable" level. Definitely far from perfect but anything is better than the garbage BAI we have now.

i like so much the TW series that i´m still playing once a day although my heart breakes every mass melee,I WANT SHOOOTS!!!historically was not usual the infantry melee in 1800-.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Please look also here Knights of the BAI!
    your input and additions are wanted, if you please !
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...72#post6430172

Its a first Initiative for ALL modders to get together in a ''think-Tank'' and work on a mutual BAI fix(as good as it gets of course)

+ first updated BAI FIX Try out by Darth and Graham !!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IPHGD7IA

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317131

Last edited by MorganH.; December 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

it no longer works properly after u udate the game for the new dlc it screws up india company line infantry and makes the unit spacing weird

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...09#post6439309

diablo460's Avatar Libertus

So this mod doesent work propely now?

Maybe last patches have repaired the AI??

If not, which mod is nice and working for actual vanilla version of empire ??

Thanks dudes

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789